Vegetarianism

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
gad-fly

Vegetarianism

Post by gad-fly »

For quite a long time, human beings have survived as hunter-gatherer, not unlike polar bear and some more part-time predators. In time, multiplication drove this free-ranching mode out as unsustainable, although remnant of it may still remain to this day. Hunting as a challenge is turned into sport, and gathering becomes sideline interest to collect and to investigate. Hunting and gathering are replaced by more steadily-reliable husbandry and farming as our food source, with the former and latter from animal and vegetarian/plant respectively.

I am not about to investigate why we would find meat more tasty than vegetable. Perhaps it can be blamed or credited to the excitement and success of capturing rather than picking-up, or perhaps because meat is more nutritive. Suffice to say that this palate is also found in marauding animals. This palate may be in our genes, hereditary, or developed in our collective memory which can only be erased with time. At this juncture, let it make no difference whether you prefer meat or vegetable, assuming the same availability, as far as matter of choice is concerned.

But the difference is significant when it comes to consumption of scarce resources. Eating meat is vastly inefficient. By eating beef, first you have to grow grain to be placed in trough for cattle to chew up. Cattle is no more than agent for you to extract nutrient from grain. For every eight kilograms or so of grain, you can only obtain one kilogram of beef. Not only that, but you have to care for the cattle and its attenuating hassle, like excretion and foot-and-mouth and mad-cow disease. If human beings can also be grain-fed(!), planting and harvesting grain can be reduced by eight times. You wold leave vast area of your wilderness, forest, and your wild life alone. Thank you, from Mother Earth, from the ocean, and from nature in general. You would have more time to enjoy life. Can't you understand, Idiot? Or are you beyond salvation?
psyreporter

Re: Vegetarianism

Post by psyreporter »

Morality could enhance human's potential to thrive. Carelessness/barbarism does not seem to be intelligent on the longer term. Especially with risks such as exponential growth, morality ("think before you act") may be essential for humanity to survive and prosper.

Is eating animal meat the most wise choice for humans? There is some evidence that eating animal meat is not the most optimal for human health and efficiency.

(2018) Millennials Are Driving The Worldwide Shift Away From Meat
A global reduction in meat consumption between 2016 and 2050 could save up to eight million lives per year and $31 trillion in reduced costs from health care and climate change. (National Academy of Sciences).
https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelpel ... 0b03f3a4a4

When considering the shunning of meat consumption for ethical motives, one should consider that plants may be conscious creatures as well.

Philosopher: Plants are conscious creatures that should be eaten with respect
Philosopher Michael Marder, a research professor at the University of the Basque Country, has called for “more respectful treatment of the flora” through his books Plant-Thinking and the forthcoming The Philosopher’s Plant.

His claim that a plant is an “intelligent, social, complex being” has been contested by some biologists, but a stronger reaction has come from animal-rights activists who fear their cause is undermined by extending a duty of respect to plants.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/unth ... -1.1965980

According to forestry professor Suzanne Simard trees are more like humans than many people think.

Mother trees transfer wisdom through mycelium network
Her 30 years of research in Canadian forests have led to an astounding discovery: trees talk, communicating often and over vast distances. Trees are social creatures that are much more like humans than you may think.
https://upliftconnect.com/trees-talk-to ... can-learn/

Is eating vegetables as if it's meaningless matter a wise alternative to eating animal meat? Perhaps, when one is already starting to apply morality to enhance human life, one should also consider the moral status of plants to make further progress faster.
PsyReporter.com | “If life were to be good as it was, there would be no reason to exist.”
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

You could also survive by living in a single 10 x 10 room and with just one pair of underwear, but I'm not about to do that.
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

gad-fly wrote: May 7th, 2020, 6:02 pm For quite a long time, human beings have survived as hunter-gatherer, not unlike polar bear and some more part-time predators. In time, multiplication drove this free-ranching mode out as unsustainable, although remnant of it may still remain to this day. Hunting as a challenge is turned into sport, and gathering becomes sideline interest to collect and to investigate. Hunting and gathering are replaced by more steadily-reliable husbandry and farming as our food source, with the former and latter from animal and vegetarian/plant respectively.

I am not about to investigate why we would find meat more tasty than vegetable. Perhaps it can be blamed or credited to the excitement and success of capturing rather than picking-up, or perhaps because meat is more nutritive. Suffice to say that this palate is also found in marauding animals. This palate may be in our genes, hereditary, or developed in our collective memory which can only be erased with time. At this juncture, let it make no difference whether you prefer meat or vegetable, assuming the same availability, as far as matter of choice is concerned.

But the difference is significant when it comes to consumption of scarce resources. Eating meat is vastly inefficient. By eating beef, first you have to grow grain to be placed in trough for cattle to chew up. Cattle is no more than agent for you to extract nutrient from grain. For every eight kilograms or so of grain, you can only obtain one kilogram of beef. Not only that, but you have to care for the cattle and its attenuating hassle, like excretion and foot-and-mouth and mad-cow disease. If human beings can also be grain-fed(!), planting and harvesting grain can be reduced by eight times. You wold leave vast area of your wilderness, forest, and your wild life alone. Thank you, from Mother Earth, from the ocean, and from nature in general. You would have more time to enjoy life. Can't you understand, Idiot? Or are you beyond salvation?
Our taste for the salty, fatty protein of meat probably evolved because of its relative rarity.

Unfortunately our brains didn't evolve in ways which always facilitate adjusting to the modern world. And rational arguments like yours aren't always enough to shift us out of comfortable patterns.
Count Lucanor
Favorite Philosopher: Umberto Eco

Post by Count Lucanor »

gad-fly wrote: May 7th, 2020, 6:02 pm But the difference is significant when it comes to consumption of scarce resources. Eating meat is vastly inefficient. By eating beef,
That's quite a suspicious jump. If you're set to prove the proposition that eating meat is vastly inefficient, you can start with one type of meat (beef), but you must provide an argument about the inefficiencies of all meats.
gad-fly wrote: May 7th, 2020, 6:02 pm first you have to grow grain to be placed in trough for cattle to chew up. Cattle is no more than agent for you to extract nutrient from grain. For every eight kilograms or so of grain, you can only obtain one kilogram of beef. Not only that, but you have to care for the cattle and its attenuating hassle, like excretion and foot-and-mouth and mad-cow disease. If human beings can also be grain-fed(!), planting and harvesting grain can be reduced by eight times. You wold leave vast area of your wilderness, forest, and your wild life alone. Thank you, from Mother Earth, from the ocean, and from nature in general. You would have more time to enjoy life. Can't you understand, Idiot? Or are you beyond salvation?
OK, let's leave cattle meat for very rare occasions. We still have plenty of other meat sources which don't use that much land and other resources. The alternative to beef doesn't seem to be vegetarianism only.
The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

gad-fly wrote: May 7th, 2020, 6:02 pm For quite a long time, human beings have survived as hunter-gatherer, not unlike polar bear and some more part-time predators. In time, multiplication drove this free-ranching mode out as unsustainable, although remnant of it may still remain to this day. Hunting as a challenge is turned into sport, and gathering becomes sideline interest to collect and to investigate. Hunting and gathering are replaced by more steadily-reliable husbandry and farming as our food source, with the former and latter from animal and vegetarian/plant respectively.

A couple of additional ideas:

Eating meat was not a positive until the invention of fire. In addition, feeding domesticated animals human-grown grain is a relatively recent (and wholly unnecessary) idea. Free range (that is grass fed) cattle are premium cattle, grain is used in feed lots ie low quality industrial ranching. So cattle is nature's way of converting grass, which is abundant in nature yet has zero nutritional value for humans, into calories that humans can consume.
"As usual... it depends."
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

arjand wrote: May 8th, 2020, 5:18 am Morality could enhance human's potential to thrive. Carelessness/barbarism does not seem to be intelligent on the longer term. Especially with risks such as exponential growth, morality ("think before you act") may be essential for humanity to survive and prosper.

Is eating animal meat the most wise choice for humans? There is some evidence that eating animal meat is not the most optimal for human health and efficiency.

(2018) Millennials Are Driving The Worldwide Shift Away From Meat
A global reduction in meat consumption between 2016 and 2050 could save up to eight million lives per year and $31 trillion in reduced costs from health care and climate change. (National Academy of Sciences).
https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelpel ... 0b03f3a4a4

When considering the shunning of meat consumption for ethical motives, one should consider that plants may be conscious creatures as well.
You have brought excellent perspective to the morality issue of vegetarianism, no doubt through intensive research. I would like to have this thread focused away from the distraction of moral argument. Suffice to say that it is morally acceptable as long as we treat with due respect our food and our food sources, whether from plant or from animal.

Lest misunderstood, let me clarify that I am not against eating meat, nor am I advocating vegetarianism. I am just pointing out that it is high time to strike a balance between eating much more vegetable than meat. It would be idiotic not do so. Beef is an example how we can consume so much less grain by eating grain directly. I am not against traditional husbandry. I like free-ranching chicken, and cattle eating grass is fine with me, but factory farming in feed trough is the problem. It would be idiotic allowing it to continue wasting our environment, a waste we can no longer afford.

You have pointed out how much "A global reduction in meat consumption between 2016 and 2050 could save". I am convinced we are heading in the right direction, but is it fast and sufficient enough? If not, we should give it a push. We should focus on the urgency of this crucial issue. Time does not wait for us to procrastinate. It is easier to bring famine than to revive the dying, and it is easier to deforest than to restore wilderness. What have we got to lose, except our habit and stubbornness to resist progress?
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

gad-fly wrote:...Can't you understand, Idiot? Or are you beyond salvation?
Assuming that, despite apparently being idiots, we can understand and accept the truth of that simple message that eating a vegetarian diet (i.e. cutting out the middle man) is very much more efficient than a diet containing meat, what do you say to people who, essentially, reply in the way that Terrapin Station did?

I presume you say that eating a vegetarian diet is not equivalent to living in a single 10 x 10 room and with just one pair of underwear.
psyreporter

Post by psyreporter »

LuckyR wrote: May 8th, 2020, 7:40 pmEating meat was not a positive until the invention of fire.
Is there evidence that humans did not eat meat before the invention of fire?
PsyReporter.com | “If life were to be good as it was, there would be no reason to exist.”
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

Steve3007 wrote: May 9th, 2020, 5:28 am
gad-fly wrote:...Can't you understand, Idiot? Or are you beyond salvation?
Assuming that, despite apparently being idiots, we can understand and accept the truth of that simple message that eating a vegetarian diet (i.e. cutting out the middle man) is very much more efficient than a diet containing meat, what do you say to people who, essentially, reply in the way that Terrapin Station did?

I presume you say that eating a vegetarian diet is not equivalent to living in a single 10 x 10 room and with just one pair of underwear.
My reply to Terrapin Station: Vegetarianism is not about survival. If only meat is available, it does not ask you to starve to death. A vegetarian diet is as good as a meat diet to me, or even better, as far as my palate is concerned. A 10 by 10 room can be as good as a monster home to a hermit. This thread is not about personal choice, or even about my choice. This thread is about the weight we should assign to vegetarianism at this stage of our civilization. More humbly, it is about which direction we should go. Bear north, or bear east?
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

arjand wrote: May 9th, 2020, 5:31 am
LuckyR wrote: May 8th, 2020, 7:40 pmEating meat was not a positive until the invention of fire.
Sorry for being difficult to understand. I meant that eating meat before the invention of fire (roasting) tasted bad, not that it didn't exist.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

LuckyR wrote: May 10th, 2020, 3:05 am
arjand wrote: May 9th, 2020, 5:31 am

Sorry for being difficult to understand. I meant that eating meat before the invention of fire (roasting) tasted bad, not that it didn't exist.
Raw meat is loved by many gourmets.
I do not think that Australopithecus and the long line of primate species that drift off to time immemorial way beyond a time when they were primates felt that a fresh piece of raw meat was "bad", on the contrary. Meat is rich in nutrients, and good concentrations of hard to get amino-acids and lipids. Nutrients that being so close to the tissues of the predator means that it closely matches what their bodies need for repair and growth.
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

Vegetarianism in the present context is not about whether meat or plant tastes better, are healthier, or more nutritious. Different health professionals may hold different opinion, let alone eaters. This thread is not a personal debate between meat and plant consumption. It is about how to strike a balance between the two. It is about the trend of increasing vegetarianism which may be encouraged/pushed, or allowed to take its own course. Efficiency in food production and consumption is one argument in favor of vegetarianism.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

gad-fly wrote: May 7th, 2020, 6:02 pm ...you have to care for the cattle and its attenuating hassle, like excretion and foot-and-mouth and mad-cow disease.
Not forgetting that bovine spongiform encephalopathy was caused by humans feeding food containing animal matter to a vegetarian animal. 🙄
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Sculptor1 wrote: May 10th, 2020, 7:27 am
LuckyR wrote: May 10th, 2020, 3:05 am

Raw meat is loved by many gourmets.
I do not think that Australopithecus and the long line of primate species that drift off to time immemorial way beyond a time when they were primates felt that a fresh piece of raw meat was "bad", on the contrary. Meat is rich in nutrients, and good concentrations of hard to get amino-acids and lipids. Nutrients that being so close to the tissues of the predator means that it closely matches what their bodies need for repair and growth.
Not arguing nutrition. I am commenting on cuisine vs roadkill.

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream