Explaining Rights to Libertarians (e.g. Bill Glod)

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
Steve3007

Re: Explaining Rights to Libertarians (e.g. Bill Glod)

Post by Steve3007 »

Terrapin Station wrote:I've explained the basics of it a few times.
I don't recall seeing any of them. A topic about it would be interesting.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Marvin_Edwards wrote: May 14th, 2020, 11:21 am
Sculptor1 wrote: May 14th, 2020, 8:07 am
Is this distinction the same as a right that is protected by law and backed up by the system; and a right that is given in an abstract document such as the UNDHR?

Above, I think you have put the age old distinction drawn between the followers of Bentham (utiliatarianism); and Kant(the duty of the categorical imperative); just that the words have been changes to consequentialism and deontologicalism.
Any document asserting specific human rights is rhetorical until those rights are guaranteed by law.
That's a yes, for part one.
What about the second question.
"
"Above, I think you have put the age old distinction drawn between the followers of Bentham (utiliatarianism); and Kant(the duty of the categorical imperative); just that the words have been changes to consequentialism and deontologicalism.""
Marvin_Edwards
Favorite Philosopher: William James

Post by Marvin_Edwards »

Sculptor1 wrote: May 14th, 2020, 12:41 pm
Marvin_Edwards wrote: May 14th, 2020, 11:21 am

Any document asserting specific human rights is rhetorical until those rights are guaranteed by law.
"
"Above, I think you have put the age old distinction drawn between the followers of Bentham (utiliatarianism); and Kant(the duty of the categorical imperative); just that the words have been changes to consequentialism and deontologicalism.""
I don't know Bentham or Kant well enough to comment. My notion of justice and rights came from Jefferson's statement in the Declaration of Independence:
Jefferson wrote:"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed"
Note that "endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights" is rhetorical, while "to secure these rights, Governments are instituted" is practical.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Marvin_Edwards wrote: May 14th, 2020, 1:33 pm

"
I don't know Bentham or Kant well enough to comment. My notion of justice and rights came from Jefferson's statement in the Declaration of Independence:
Jefferson wrote:"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed"
Note that "endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights" is rhetorical, while "to secure these rights, Governments are instituted" is practical.
LOL.
Just like an American to take his information secondhand and think it is original.
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

"
No rights are "self-evident." That just amounts to, "I feel this so strongly that I can't imagine things being otherwise."

But different people have different feelings when it comes to this stuff.
h_k_s
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle

Post by h_k_s »

Marvin_Edwards wrote: May 13th, 2020, 2:11 pm Bill Glod has a video called “The Nature of Rights” on the libertarianism.org website. He explores two views of rights.

The “consequentialist” view determines rights according to their consequences. If the consequence of racial slavery is egregious harm to black men, women, and children, then there should be no right of one race to enslave another.

The “deontological” view, on the other hand, relies upon the shared norms of the culture. For example, if racial slavery is the norm, as it was in the old South, then the deontological view would conserve the current norm. Bill points out that shared norms are embedded in the culture and result in “moralized emotions”, like resentment. And southern whites at that time truly resented having to sit near black people. And they closed down their schools rather than allow black children to sit beside their children in school. This was the morality they felt in their gut (see Colbert).

So which view does Bill recommend? Oddly, Bill favors the deontological view.

To be fair, Bill chose examples that he thought would support his view. He did not try to apply them to slavery in the old South. But let’s take a look at Bill’s examples.

In Bill’s first scenario, Kenny is a healthy young man with a menial job in the hospital where he works. A doctor looks at Kenny and thinks of the five important patients whose lives he could save by harvesting Kenny’s organs. Bill suggests the consequentialists would favor this, because of all the good that those five important people could do. But Bill is only looking at the immediate consequences.

It is important to keep in mind that means become ends. If we decide to allow doctors to select unwilling organ donors, what are the real consequences? Any person, you or any member of your family, could be harvested on demand. And that would be an intolerable way to live. Because of those consequences, we allow no such right to doctors.

Bill stumbles onto the correct answer when he says the phrase “buy into the bad consequence that come from it” and then changes quickly, replacing “bad consequence” with “bad implications”. The correct analysis would impair his argument.

In Bill’s second scenario, Kenny is now a different guy who sticks a fork in your neck while you’re waiting for the bus. At this point, Bill asks you to examine your moralized emotions of blame and anger. This is where he goes into detail about the social norms you have internalized and that set the ethical standards that you use to judge Kenny’s behavior. “How dare you do this to me?!”, you think to yourself. And that is all fine and good.

But Bill overlooks the source of the cultural norms. He suggests something as automatic as natural selection. Cultures with the best rules survive and prosper more than those with inferior rules. In other words, the social norms arise as a consequence of their beneficial effects upon society.

Ultimately, it is about consequences. We left slavery behind, fighting against the cultural norm, because of the physical and psychological harm inflicted upon others among us. It is not enough to seek good only for ourselves.

All practical rights, and the rules that secure them, arise from agreement. Moral people, who seek the best possible good for everyone, seek the best rules to achieve that goal. Sharing the same goal, we eventually may resolve our differences. And, as our moral sense evolves, so do our rights and the rules that secure them. This is something to keep in mind as we face new issues like gay marriage and the 20 week abortion rule.
How you approach this problem of rights for all depends on how you want to view it.

You can view it religiously, culturally, scientifically, or philosophically.

Religiously is problematic for slavery, since Moses and St. Paul did not openly condemn slavery.

Culturally has been expressed above.

Scientifically simply gathers data and then churns it to whatever ends the scientist wants to promote as a theory.

And philosophically, you are stuck with "what is the greater good for all?" which we get from Aristotle. And most of us whether we know it or not are simply slaves of Aristotle.

You must remember that might always makes right, and so whatever regime is in power at the time in your country or in your world, that regime is going to make their own rules.

You picked on slavery, therefore I will comment that slavery has existed since prehistoric times. Even Hammurabi set special rules for slaves and their treatment, as opposed to those for free men or for aristocrats.

Today there is still child slavery and female slavery in Southeast Asia. Slavery has not disappeared. So no argument can make it disappear.

Better to ask, "What right has one nation to dictate rules to another, they both being sovereign?"

How you would explain all this to a Libertarian I am not sure -- maybe take the scientific approach.
h_k_s

Post by h_k_s »

GregRogers wrote: May 13th, 2020, 7:41 pm Sooooo, you are suggesting that human rights are relative and contingent based on what I can convince someone to provide to me?
Pretty much, yes. Especially yes when political power is involved.
h_k_s

Post by h_k_s »

Terrapin Station wrote: May 14th, 2020, 6:33 am There are no real rights.

Moral rights are simply moral stances that one feels should be inviolable by any convention, including legal conventions.

Legal rights obtain via whoever has the power to codify them. In many systems, sure, that's going to obtain via agreement--whether a majority population agreement, or the agreement of representatives, or whatever the political system in place.
Terrapin Station is exactly right on !!
Marvin_Edwards

Post by Marvin_Edwards »

Sculptor1 wrote: May 14th, 2020, 2:13 pm

LOL.
Just like an American to take his information secondhand and think it is original.
Hmm. You say that as if Bentham and Kant were the "originals". Kant's "universal law" is nothing more than a paraphrase of "do unto others as you would have them do unto you".
Marvin_Edwards

Post by Marvin_Edwards »

Terrapin Station wrote: May 14th, 2020, 2:30 pm

No rights are "self-evident." That just amounts to, "I feel this so strongly that I can't imagine things being otherwise."

But different people have different feelings when it comes to this stuff.
Exactly. That is why practical rights must have sufficient public buy-in to actually work.
Marvin_Edwards

Post by Marvin_Edwards »

h_k_s wrote: May 14th, 2020, 4:21 pm
How you approach this problem of rights for all depends on how you want to view it.
Religiously is problematic for slavery, since Moses and St. Paul did not openly condemn slavery.
Scientifically simply gathers data and then churns it to whatever ends the scientist wants to promote as a theory.
And philosophically, you are stuck with "what is the greater good for all?" which we get from Aristotle. And most of us whether we know it or not are simply slaves of Aristotle.
And that is why rights, to be stable, must be based in objective moral judgments. Yeah, you heard me. Objective moral evaluation, based on the "best good and least harm for everyone", is the only criteria that everyone can agree to. And agreement is essential to make rights practical rather than merely rhetorical.
h_k_s wrote: May 14th, 2020, 4:21 pm You must remember that might always makes right, and so whatever regime is in power at the time in your country or in your world, that regime is going to make their own rules.
You picked on slavery, therefore I will comment that slavery has existed since prehistoric times. Even Hammurabi set special rules for slaves and their treatment, as opposed to those for free men or for aristocrats.
Today there is still child slavery and female slavery in Southeast Asia. Slavery has not disappeared. So no argument can make it disappear.
Better to ask, "What right has one nation to dictate rules to another, they both being sovereign?"
Rights that are dictated are not agreed to. Only those rights that are agreed to are real.
h_k_s wrote: May 14th, 2020, 4:21 pm How you would explain all this to a Libertarian I am not sure -- maybe take the scientific approach.
I think that is what I am doing.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Marvin_Edwards wrote: May 14th, 2020, 5:31 pm
Sculptor1 wrote: May 14th, 2020, 2:13 pm

LOL.
Hmm. You say that as if Bentham and Kant were the "originals". Kant's "universal law" is nothing more than a paraphrase of "do unto others as you would have them do unto you".
I was thinking more about John Locke when you said what you did about the US
h_k_s

Post by h_k_s »

Marvin_Edwards wrote: May 14th, 2020, 5:46 pm
h_k_s wrote: May 14th, 2020, 4:21 pm
And that is why rights, to be stable, must be based in objective moral judgments. Yeah, you heard me. Objective moral evaluation, based on the "best good and least harm for everyone", is the only criteria that everyone can agree to. And agreement is essential to make rights practical rather than merely rhetorical.
h_k_s wrote: May 14th, 2020, 4:21 pm You must remember that might always makes right, and so whatever regime is in power at the time in your country or in your world, that regime is going to make their own rules.
Rights that are dictated are not agreed to. Only those rights that are agreed to are real.
h_k_s wrote: May 14th, 2020, 4:21 pm How you would explain all this to a Libertarian I am not sure -- maybe take the scientific approach.
I think that is what I am doing.
Seems very idealistic to me.

I'll have to agree more with Terrapin Station philosophically.

There really are no "rights." There are only cultural conventions that are locally agreed on.
GregRogers
New Trial Member

Post by GregRogers »

h_k_s wrote: May 14th, 2020, 4:22 pm
GregRogers wrote: May 13th, 2020, 7:41 pm Sooooo, you are suggesting that human rights are relative and contingent based on what I can convince someone to provide to me?
Pretty much, yes. Especially yes when political power is involved.
So then you are saying that "rights" do not have normative power? In other words, I cannot say you "ought" to grant me certain rights because it is purely to your individual agency whether you wish to grant them to me?
GregRogers
New Trial Member

Post by GregRogers »

Marvin_Edwards wrote: May 14th, 2020, 12:06 am
Nope. Human rights are what we agree to respect and protect for each other. That is where all practical rights come from, and what distinguishes a practical right from a merely rhetorical right.
So if we agree to a "practical right", no one has a legitimate case to argue that what we agreed upon is immoral?

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream