(The way we use) law is unjust!

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
Steve3007

Re: (The way we use) law is unjust!

Post by Steve3007 »

Terrapin Station wrote:"No specific to a part." It's not impossible that at least at different times it would involve all of the brain, but even if just distributed across the brain, that would be "not specific to a part." You might think that it is (I can't know that you wouldn't think this). There's no reason to believe that it is,though.
Great. So, yet again:

viewtopic.php?p=360360#p360360
Steve3007 wrote:From these exchanges it seems to me pretty clear that you are saying that human brains are subject to what I have termed one-way causality.
You're determined not to address this aren't you! :lol:
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Steve3007 wrote: June 15th, 2020, 10:56 am You're determined not to address this aren't you! :lol:
It's starting to look as though Terrapin Station is posting only to prevent or disrupt discussion. If so, erm, that would be ... disappointing.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

Pattern-chaser wrote: June 15th, 2020, 10:28 am I offered the example of someone deceived into unknowingly and unwillingly committing a crime. Justice seems to indicate that the person who pulled the (figurative) trigger is innocent; it's the person who deceived them who bears the guilt. In the case of someone hiring a hit-man, justice (again) seems to indicate that both are guilty of murder, for different and obvious reasons. Quibbling about so much, over so many posts, seems to indicate you are not here to explore and discover, but for other reasons.... Are you nervous about questioning letter-of-the-law 'justice'? Or is it something else?
"You are not here to explore and discover"--indeed that's the case. I've been doing this stuff for a long time. I'm not at a stage where I'm still discovering the range of views out there, I've long since developed my own views, and I'm not at a stage of discovering or meeting objections to my views.

Not that it's impossible for someone to come up with something I've not encountered before, but unfortunately it doesn't happen very often.

Re ethics, I'm not of the opinion that someone ordering or hiring someone else to commit murder is responsible for the murder. With that, I also don't believe there's a correct or incorrect answer. It comes down to how we feel, what facts count for us or don't count for us re moral culpability.

If you don't know what I consider to be the case re deception, etc., as we were discussing, I'm happy to let you know if you ask (though as I said I might need more details in some cases, otherwise I'd have to just present what I consider the possibilities depending on the details), but I've long had views about this stuff, and I'm more than familiar with other views being expressed, so no, I'm not here for the purpose of "exploring and discovering" in the sense you mean.
Terrapin Station

Oops, lol--this should have read: "I'm not at a stage of discovering or just now learning how to meet objections to my views."
Terrapin Station

Steve3007 wrote: June 15th, 2020, 10:56 am
Terrapin Station wrote:"No specific to a part." It's not impossible that at least at different times it would involve all of the brain, but even if just distributed across the brain, that would be "not specific to a part." You might think that it is (I can't know that you wouldn't think this). There's no reason to believe that it is,though.
Great. So, yet again:

viewtopic.php?p=360360#p360360
Steve3007 wrote:From these exchanges it seems to me pretty clear that you are saying that human brains are subject to what I have termed one-way causality.
You're determined not to address this aren't you! :lol:
What do you still have questions about? (Don't say the whole post or I'm not bothering. I'm not going over all of that again if you have no idea of my views about any of that by this point.)
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Terrapin Station wrote: June 15th, 2020, 11:43 am
Pattern-chaser wrote: June 15th, 2020, 10:28 am I offered the example of someone deceived into unknowingly and unwillingly committing a crime. Justice seems to indicate that the person who pulled the (figurative) trigger is innocent; it's the person who deceived them who bears the guilt. In the case of someone hiring a hit-man, justice (again) seems to indicate that both are guilty of murder, for different and obvious reasons. Quibbling about so much, over so many posts, seems to indicate you are not here to explore and discover, but for other reasons.... Are you nervous about questioning letter-of-the-law 'justice'? Or is it something else?
"You are not here to explore and discover"--indeed that's the case. I've been doing this stuff for a long time. I'm not at a stage where I'm still discovering the range of views out there, I've long since developed my own views, and I'm not at a stage of discovering or meeting objections to my views.

Not that it's impossible for someone to come up with something I've not encountered before, but unfortunately it doesn't happen very often.

Re ethics, I'm not of the opinion that someone ordering or hiring someone else to commit murder is responsible for the murder. With that, I also don't believe there's a correct or incorrect answer. It comes down to how we feel, what facts count for us or don't count for us re moral culpability.

If you don't know what I consider to be the case re deception, etc., as we were discussing, I'm happy to let you know if you ask (though as I said I might need more details in some cases, otherwise I'd have to just present what I consider the possibilities depending on the details), but I've long had views about this stuff, and I'm more than familiar with other views being expressed, so no, I'm not here for the purpose of "exploring and discovering" in the sense you mean.
So you're saying that you have nothing to contribute to this topic, but you continue to post (again and again). It seems reasonable to conclude that you are posting here only to disrupt the discussion of others. Correct me if I'm wrong, please.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Terrapin Station wrote: June 15th, 2020, 11:49 am
Pattern-chaser wrote: June 15th, 2020, 11:06 am

It's starting to look as though @Terrapin Station is posting only to prevent or disrupt discussion. If so, erm, that would be ... disappointing.
Maybe I'm disrupting some "let's do some Gumby improv" skit, but that's worth disrupting.
Ah, so as I found on another forum (that I subsequently left), you are saying that the discussion of certain topics should be disrupted? And you, of course, are the arbiter of what should be disrupted, and what should be permitted? I think not. If you don't like a topic, just leave it alone and don't post, please. Thanks.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Terrapin Station

Pattern-chaser wrote: June 15th, 2020, 11:52 am So you're saying that you have nothing to contribute to this topic, but you continue to post (again and again). It seems reasonable to conclude that you are posting here only to disrupt the discussion of others. Correct me if I'm wrong, please.
Isn't "either you're here to explore and discover or you have nothing to contribute to a topic" a false dichotomy?
Terrapin Station

Pattern-chaser wrote: June 15th, 2020, 11:56 am Ah, so as I found on another forum (that I subsequently left), you are saying that the discussion of certain topics should be disrupted?
Certainly if the topic amounts to pretending to be Gumbies, yes.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Terrapin Station wrote:What do you still have questions about?
"One-way" causality. You regard actions as having effects, but not beings affected, yes?

Therefore, whatever part or parts of the human brain actions happen in, or are currently happening in, you regard as having an effect but not being affected, yes? So...
Steve3007 wrote:In the past few posts, where I said "brain" read "the part of the brain in which actions are initiated" or some such thing.
...it seems to me pretty clear that you are saying that human brains are subject to what I have termed one-way causality. Yet you also regard human brains as being made as the same stuff as other objects.

For some reason, you've skirted around this by saying a bunch of irrelevant stuff about actions being functions of the brain, in only parts of the brain, distributed around the brain etc. and ignoring everything else.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Couple of typos in the above. Hopefully still reasonably readable.
Terrapin Station

Steve3007 wrote: June 15th, 2020, 3:30 pm "One-way" causality. You regard actions as having effects, but not beings affected, yes?
I've answered this two or three times now. Yes, because of what the term "action" refers to. Actions are intentional, willed decisions to do something.
Therefore, whatever part or parts of the human brain actions happen in, or are currently happening in, you regard as having an effect but not being affected, yes? So...
Yes. Insofar as we're talking about brains functioning to perform actions.
it seems to me pretty clear that you are saying that human brains are subject to what I have termed one-way causality.
ONLY insofar as we're talking about actions per se. Not otherwise. Brains do a lot of things other than actions.
Yet you also regard human brains as being made as the same stuff as other objects.
Yes, and I've explained at least five or six times now, I don't believe that all non-brain objects are subject to "two-way causality."
For some reason, you've skirted around this by saying a bunch of irrelevant stuff about actions being functions of the brain, in only parts of the brain, distributed around the brain etc. and ignoring everything else.
Again, I've explained all of the above at least two or three times, and parts of it I've explained five or six times.

Do you still have questions about it?
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Terrapin Station wrote:Yes, and I've explained at least five or six times now, I don't believe that all non-brain objects are subject to "two-way causality."
You've mentioned it once previously to me, as I recall.

On what basis would you decide whether a non-brain object is subject to "one-way" or "two-way" causality? Is it related to the complexity of the object's structure?
Terrapin Station

Steve3007 wrote: June 15th, 2020, 5:51 pm
Terrapin Station wrote:Yes, and I've explained at least five or six times now, I don't believe that all non-brain objects are subject to "two-way causality."
You've mentioned it once previously to me, as I recall.

On what basis would you decide whether a non-brain object is subject to "one-way" or "two-way" causality? Is it related to the complexity of the object's structure?
Once again, "I don't believe that all non-brain objects are subject to 'two-way causality'" is part of what this passage tells you: "I don't buy strong determinism in general. The view that 'the world is strongly deterministic, so that if human actions are not, it requires some extraordinary explanation,' doesn't hold water/isn't supportable. That view is based on a very antiquated view of the sciences and what they can do."

I buy the Humean criticism of the idea that we can observe causality--we can't. It's something that we postulate abductively or heuristically. It's certainly plausible to assume that many phenomena are causal in nature--to assume that event x occurred because it was caused to occur by some antecedent event that directly, contiguously interacted with something else to cause x. But there's no good reason to assume that ALL phenomena (again, talking completely outside of the context of brains, people, etc.) are causal in that manner. The faith-based belief that all phenomena are causal in that manner is the general sense of strong determinism. It stems from antiquated scientific assumptions.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Terrapin Station wrote:Once again...
Yes, you've repeated the part in which you tell me what you don't buy more than once. Here, you've also repeated the part in which you say that the thing you don't buy is based on "a very antiquated view of the sciences". We've previously had some conversations on some specifics of some scientific issues. If we ever discussed further that "antiquated view of the sciences", those previous conversations may be relevant.

So here's the part where you tell me what you buy.
Terrapin Station wrote:I buy...
As I've said recently (and at various times previously), I agree that we clearly don't observe causality any more than we observe Newton's Law of Gravitation (for example). We observe correlated events. As I said, my view is that causality is in the same class as laws and principles of Nature. It's a useful model for describing and predicting instances of correlation. The stronger the correlation, the more we are apt to infer causality. Just as with any other law/principle of Nature.
Terrapin Station wrote:...It's certainly plausible to assume that many phenomena are causal in nature ... But there's no good reason to assume that ALL phenomena (again, talking completely outside of the context of brains, people, etc.) are causal in that manner...
From your wording, it appears that, though we postulate causality abductively/heuristically, and not all phenomena are causal, causality (where present) ontologically exists in Nature. That is, as opposed to being a model. i.e. you view causality (where present) as real and not abstract.

Is that your view?

As to the question: What criteria do you use for deciding which phenomena are causal?

I presume, from what you've said, that it's simply based on observations of correlation with contiguous antecedent events. No such correlation; no causality. Yes?

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream