The Adverse Impact of World Expansion of Population (WEP)

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
gad-fly

The Adverse Impact of World Expansion of Population (WEP)

Post by gad-fly »

Please spend a few minutes to go through the following link, thanks to Count Lucanor.
Overpopulation – The Human Explosion Explained

An earlier thread titled 'World Overpopulation' can be found in this forum, but it has been mired in the argument of whether World Overpopulation is indeed an imminent global problem or just a political myth. Excuse me for seeking a fresh start to drop the luggage of this argument, and to bring insight into what I hope to focus on, namely, the impact of WEP.

By itself, WEP cannot be categorically identified as a problem. More appropriate to call it a phenomenon or situation. Who does it impact on, if adversely? It may be not a problem if some are beneficially affected in the process. Even then, it may still not be problem unless the damage outweigh the benefit substantially. This brings in the question: how do we apportion weight between human and non-human? If one human is worth ten lions, then forcing out ten to increase by one can be fine. We have been clearing grassland and forest into pasture from time immemorial. Why should we not destroy wild life habit if necessary to provide living space for more of us? One suggested answer: We have gone too far, and it is time to give this Earth a break, if it is not already too late.

A crucial challenge is to identify correlation between factor and result. In the present context, can some identified global problems be attributed to WEP, and if so, how much? WEP may be denied as the dominant factor, but if it has been so identified, we should have the obligation to tackle the problem at source, which may include WEP and others.

I suggest we start by identifying global problems, one at a time, which WEP must have a major impact. I can suggest a couple:
1. Deforestation
2. Endangered species
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Re: The Adverse Impact of World Expansion of Population (WEP)

Post by Terrapin Station »

In my view, the current level of population is not at all the problem. The problem is how we design living areas and how we manage resources. The world could accommodate a much larger population with far less environmental impact. We'd just need to structure things differently and manage resources differently.
Marvin_Edwards
Favorite Philosopher: William James

Post by Marvin_Edwards »

gad-fly wrote: June 24th, 2020, 12:59 am I suggest we start by identifying global problems, one at a time, which WEP must have a major impact. I can suggest a couple:
1. Deforestation
2. Endangered species
3. Quality of human life in over-crowded cities.
4. Pandemics that spread more quickly in crowded conditions.
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

Terrapin Station wrote: June 25th, 2020, 9:01 am In my view, the current level of population is not at all the problem. The problem is how we design living areas and how we manage resources. The world could accommodate a much larger population with far less environmental impact. We'd just need to structure things differently and manage resources differently.
I have mentioned that WEP is not categorically a problem. Let us focus on its impact causing problems such as deforestation.
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

gad-fly wrote: June 25th, 2020, 10:53 am
Terrapin Station wrote: June 25th, 2020, 9:01 am In my view, the current level of population is not at all the problem. The problem is how we design living areas and how we manage resources. The world could accommodate a much larger population with far less environmental impact. We'd just need to structure things differently and manage resources differently.
I have mentioned that WEP is not categorically a problem. Let us focus on its impact causing problems such as deforestation.
Sure, deforestation is a big problem. It's simply a matter of figuring out how to get politicians to care about it, and that's going to amount to figuring out how to make if financially advantageous for them to stop deforestation.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

5a. The environmental footprint of affluent lifestyles with current technology.
5b. The spread of affluent lifestyles across the globe without changes to that technology.
Something_Different
New Trial Member

Post by Something_Different »

It seems that at least part of this question may be reduced to a question about natalism. If you hold a strongly pro-natalist view, the complications created by WEP are at most an annoyance and something to be mitigated. If you have a strongly anti-natalist view, the question is almost superfluous: life is full of suffering, and it would be even if the Earth had room for the human population a thousand times over.

To have a debate over the adverse impacts of WEP seems to require a middle point of view, where the value of bringing an additional human life into the world is not negative, but neither is it so positive as to outweigh suffering among those already alive. I'm curious as to how people strike that balance.

To save a human life may well be worth ten lions, but is it worth ten lions to bring a new human being into the world?
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

gad-fly wrote: June 24th, 2020, 12:59 am
I suggest we start by identifying global problems, one at a time, which WEP must have a major impact. I can suggest a couple:
1. Deforestation
2. Endangered species
Human-induced Deforestation has probably begun with the first experience cooking meat. The method of slash-and-burn has not changed. Wide open fire remains the agent. The technology of fire-lighting may be more advanced, but the same end purpose can be summarized: To clear land available for human benefit.

So why should it be a global problem now? The answer may apply, in general, to a wide range of similar problems: We have gone too far. But what is wrong with fewer tree and more human? Trees are still plentiful. It takes you some effort to find them if you live in the urban jungle, but is that little effort serious enough to bother you? No, but your effort is not the concern. You are on the wrong focus.

Trees are not born equal. They are vastly different, and they can have vastly different lifestyles. Some are one of a kind, and some are extremely picky about where to live and thrive. Clearing an indistinguishable forest in the middle of nowhere may lead to the extinction of a tree species which cannot be found elsewhere. Why is that a problem now? Because we have already cleared up so many forest that the indistinguishable forest may be unique. Why should we bother about the dying of a few tree species? Because so many have died. It is high time to stop persecuting them, and to give them some breathing space to recover. They deserve it. But it is more than that. We deserve their survival. Only together can we grow strong. We need them as much as they need us, in the medicinal ingredients which they can probably provide for our wellness, for example.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Take the births and delete the deaths: there are 40 million more people in the world this year already.
Ron Krumpos
New Trial Member

Post by Ron Krumpos »

World population increased from three billion in 1960 to seven billion in 2011, more than doubling in 50 years. In 2020 it is now 7.8 billion.
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

Ron Krumpos wrote: June 27th, 2020, 6:28 pm World population increased from three billion in 1960 to seven billion in 2011, more than doubling in 50 years. In 2020 it is now 7.8 billion.
Please comment on the impact of WEP, from now into the next century. It is adverse, marginal, or transitional?
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

gad-fly wrote: June 29th, 2020, 12:58 am
Ron Krumpos wrote: June 27th, 2020, 6:28 pm World population increased from three billion in 1960 to seven billion in 2011, more than doubling in 50 years. In 2020 it is now 7.8 billion.
Please comment on the impact of WEP, from now into the next century. It is adverse, marginal, or transitional?
Adverse, obviously.
You'll have to say what you think you mean by marginal and transitional.
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

Sculptor1 wrote: June 29th, 2020, 3:20 am
Adverse, obviously.
A fruitful discussion should begin with identification. WEP Impact on what? Say there are five subjects A to E. It would be meaningless to say Adverse before focusing how and on which. The adverse effect may be marginal if the degree is acceptable on A and balanced by derived benefit on B. It would be transitional if reasonable recovery from the adverse effect can be made afterwards.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

gad-fly wrote: June 29th, 2020, 9:45 am
Sculptor1 wrote: June 29th, 2020, 3:20 am
Adverse, obviously.
A fruitful discussion should begin with identification. WEP Impact on what? Say there are five subjects A to E. It would be meaningless to say Adverse before focusing how and on which. The adverse effect may be marginal if the degree is acceptable on A and balanced by derived benefit on B. It would be transitional if reasonable recovery from the adverse effect can be made afterwards.
Is this all a way of avoiding answering my question?
Can you think of ANY area where the impact of WEP is not adverse? Can you think of ANY reason why it could be seen as a positive?
A or B be damned.
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

Sculptor1 wrote: June 29th, 2020, 11:06 am
Is this all a way of avoiding answering my question?
I cannot see you asking me a question in the first place. Please quote.

I may not be in the position to answer your question. Someone else may answer it better than me.

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream