The Origin of the Government

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
pearlrik
New Trial Member

The Origin of the Government

Post by pearlrik »

If I search for the theory of 'the origin of the government', or the 'origin of the state', mostly only 4 theories come up.

1. The Force theory - "The state was born of force".
2. Evolutionary Theory- developed out of the early family.
3. The divine right theory- "Divine right to rule".
4. The Social Contract theory- the state arose out of a voluntary act of free people.

I looked into each one of them and am I the only one that is wholly unsatisfied with these theories?

Has there really been no philosopher that has come up with a better explanation?

And what do the people of this forum think of it? What is your idea of how the state/government arose?
Steve3007

Re: The Origin of the Government

Post by Steve3007 »

pearlrik wrote:I looked into each one of them and am I the only one that is wholly unsatisfied with these theories?
In assessing these theories, did you assume that they are mutually exclusive and that you had to pick each one in turn for individual consideration?
Arjen
Favorite Philosopher: Immanuel Kant

Post by Arjen »

Hello Pearlrik, this looks like a school assignment to me. That's why I will not jump in and give you my thoughts on the matter. I am not unwilling to help with some schoolwork, but maybe you should give us your ideas first? It could be your thoughts on how governments came to be, or why you feel those 4 are insufficient, or any other angle. This sort of assignment normally does not have a right or wrong answer, but is created to make students think about something. If you start, I will respond.

Cheers :)
The saying that what is true in theory is not always true in practice, means that the theory is wrong!
~Immanuel Kant
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

pearlrik wrote: September 28th, 2020, 1:56 pm If I search for the theory of 'the origin of the government', or the 'origin of the state', mostly only 4 theories come up.

4. The Social Contract theory- the state arose out of a voluntary act of free people.

I looked into each one of them and am I the only one that is wholly unsatisfied with these theories?

Has there really been no philosopher that has come up with a better explanation?

And what do the people of this forum think of it? What is your idea of how the state/government arose?
Clearly no amount of evidence can be brought about to answer definitively.
And the idea that there was one pristine original government is absurd.

All four can be true in different degrees, all contributing to the evolution of governments.
Obviously (3) came rather late - a post hoc justification of leadership.

(4) Is somewhat mis-stated. Social Contract theory is more about the relationship between rights and obligations, which still apply whether or not the "contract" was ever entered into voluntarily.
You might want to look at Thomas Hobbes an Jean-Jacques Rousseau.

2) Since we evolved from primates it is worth looking into Bonobo and Chimpanzee society to see how they do it. There is no doubt they have social arrangements and group dynamics which involve family, extended family and friendship which bond large groups.
Anthropology can furnish examples of "governing" small scale societies. All of us came from hunter/gatherers, and there is a multitude of strategies to look at.
pearlrik
New Trial Member

Post by pearlrik »

Arjen wrote: September 29th, 2020, 4:18 am Hello Pearlrik, this looks like a school assignment to me.
I'm 28 years old and left school a long time ago. I am just surprised that there are no better explanations that I could find. Perhaps people on this forum had better ideas.
pearlrik
New Trial Member

Post by pearlrik »

Sculptor1 wrote: September 29th, 2020, 5:31 am
2) Since we evolved from primates it is worth looking into Bonobo and Chimpanzee society to see how they do it. There is no doubt they have social arrangements and group dynamics which involve family, extended family and friendship which bond large groups.
Anthropology can furnish examples of "governing" small scale societies. All of us came from hunter/gatherers, and there is a multitude of strategies to look at.
This is exactly my angle, and I have read about the chimpanzees already by reading Jane Goodall. You seem to have a similar angle that it should be analyzed from the chimpanzee communities. But has there been no scientist/philosopher that has actually written a book about it, I mean, bridging the gap between chimpanzee communities and human societies?
pearlrik
New Trial Member

Post by pearlrik »

Steve3007 wrote: September 29th, 2020, 3:42 am
pearlrik wrote:I looked into each one of them and am I the only one that is wholly unsatisfied with these theories?
In assessing these theories, did you assume that they are mutually exclusive and that you had to pick each one in turn for individual consideration?
Not really, although I find the divine theory not really that exciting.

There is also a theory that states arose because of the need to regulate irrigation, which seems a little simplistic.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

pearlrik wrote:There is also a theory that states arose because of the need to regulate irrigation, which seems a little simplistic.
Well, I think if there was one thing that could be identified as creating a need for government it would be the invention of agriculture and the consequent development of societies.
Arjen
Favorite Philosopher: Immanuel Kant

Post by Arjen »

pearlrik wrote: September 29th, 2020, 6:35 am
Arjen wrote: September 29th, 2020, 4:18 am Hello Pearlrik, this looks like a school assignment to me.
I'm 28 years old and left school a long time ago. I am just surprised that there are no better explanations that I could find. Perhaps people on this forum had better ideas.
Then there is no reason to hold back. :)

I always felt that the social contract theory was a good way to define the set of all theories concerning the matter. All forms of government have in common that there is a concensus concerning the rules and habits. Although all systems do have their discontents and criminals ofcourse.

Perhaps an interesting book for you is Hobbes' Leviathan. In this he describes an original position of "all against all" (bellum omnium contra omnes). This leads to "bodies of men" working together in a less than desirable way, to form a "leviathan" in order to be more competative and oppose other "bodies of men". Personally, I have always felt Rousseau's sovereign was a much nicer thought. I especially enjoy his noble savage. But, it will certainly be an interesting read.

Kropotkin might also be interesting. Although a boring writer, his ideas are quite interesting. His anarchism is ofcourse directly political and it does get right down to how society is made up and the self correction nature of revolution. His mutual aid is written as an answer to Darwin's survival of the fittest, but it describes in great detail social animal interactions. That might be insightful for you. He is a biologist, besides a writer, philosopher and refusing-to-be-figurehead for revolutions.
The saying that what is true in theory is not always true in practice, means that the theory is wrong!
~Immanuel Kant
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

pearlrik wrote: September 29th, 2020, 6:41 am
Sculptor1 wrote: September 29th, 2020, 5:31 am
This is exactly my angle, and I have read about the chimpanzees already by reading Jane Goodall. You seem to have a similar angle that it should be analyzed from the chimpanzee communities. But has there been no scientist/philosopher that has actually written a book about it, I mean, bridging the gap between chimpanzee communities and human societies?
You need to delve into anthroplogy and archaeology.
It is a massive story with no simple or monumental answer. It did not happen once but many times in different ways.
This is a lifetime's study.
Philosophers are not really equipped to answer, except in theoretical terms.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

A Few pointers..
Looking at landcsape patterns can show the scale of early societies.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 6506000213

Or looking at early civilisations..
https://books.google.co.uk/books?

Depends what exactly you want

hl=en&lr=&id=W9OFBw7yGZkC&oi=fnd&pg=PA13&dq=archaeology+of+early+society&ots=378ihuxJRn&sig=15DzqTW1d90QpykrgbdZ2TnSoYs#v=onepage&q=archaeology%20of%20early%20society&f=false

https://www.nature.com/articles/news.2010.537
https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/ ... .2009.0207
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

This is what I read when I looked at the question.

The Domestication of Europe: structure and contingency in Neolithic societies (1990)

On the Surface: Çatalhöyük 1993-95 (1996) Ian Hodder, Cambridge: McDonald Institute for Archaeological Research and British Institute of Archaeology at Ankara. ISBN 0-9519420-3-4.
Ecurb

Post by Ecurb »

All societies regulate themselves. Wolf packs, lion prides, and elk herds "govern" themselves, as do small groups of hunting and gathering humans. However, "government" -- as a separate entity in a stratified society -- probably came later in human history.

The archaeological record shows two developments that occurred at about the same time (the time-line cannot be differentiated by the record). These are the development of organized warfare, and that of major irrigation projects. The development of "civilization" (if not governmemt) appears to have occurred in river valleys surrounded by deserts -- the Nile, the Tigris-Euphraties- the Indus - the Yangtze -- central Mexico. As farming developed and the population grew, people were confined by the environment. The record shows the development of irrigation projects, which were large enough that they must have resulted from large-scale cooperative efforts, and must have been regulated by some sort of "government".

At about the same time there is evidence of large-scale military activities: armies, arms manufacturing, etc. Did the cooperative and authoritarian nature of irrigation projects lead to the development of military infrastructure to defend them; or did the population pressure that led to the development of large-scale militaries lead to the organizational infrastructure necessary for canal and dam building? It's unclear.
Marvin_Edwards
Favorite Philosopher: William James

Post by Marvin_Edwards »

1. The original government was a male monarchy governing a family.
2. That would likely persist as the family extended into a tribe. However, there would begin to be competition between brothers or between the young and the elders that would select new monarchs based on strength.
(Matriarchies would likely arise in geographical areas where food was plentiful and there was no need to fight for food, e.g. Hawaii. But males would be in charge where battles with other tribes were required to feed the tribe).
3. Communities would become stable by hiring knights to protect their property and the knights would select kings.
4. Republics would appear next as knights rebelled against kings who abused their powers. And Parliaments made of knights would form to advise the king.
5. Democracy would come next as the knights protection became unnecessary and the knights reverted to property owners.
6. Constitutional governments would arise naturally from the Magna Carta as the agreements expanded beyond the knights and kings to cover all of the people.
7. The people who mattered would expand as revolutions applied the guillotine to property owners and kings.
8. As economic stability spread the men extended the right of participation to women.

h_k_s
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle

Post by h_k_s »

pearlrik wrote: September 28th, 2020, 1:56 pm If I search for the theory of 'the origin of the government', or the 'origin of the state', mostly only 4 theories come up.

If you rely on history and archaeology, then Sargon The Great of Akkad must be your earliest reference.

He was a conqueror who exacted tributes from vassal cities.

Of course in pre history these cities sprang up somehow on their own. So it's anyone's guess as to how or why.

But generally speaking, governments are born of blood and insurrection.

The USA is a prime example. British monarchy. Colonial rebellion. Assistance from a French counter monarch. Geographic distance making resupply difficult. A naval blockade by the French. Yorktown. Independence. A confederation agreement followed by a democratic republic constitution. And now you see what we have evolved to.

The opposite of the above is the tribal war lords of Afghanistan and northern Pakistan and Somalia. There chieftains emerge from a warlike clannish environment. Theyre called the tribal areas.

Government evolves everywhere one way or another to fill a need. The need is cooperation.

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream