Section 230 - REPEAL IT?

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
Arjen
Favorite Philosopher: Immanuel Kant

Re: Section 230 - REPEAL IT?

Post by Arjen »

LuckyR wrote: October 21st, 2020, 3:05 am Change? No. Delete? Yes.
So, you think, like Trump that article 230 should be repealed?
Since you seem to indicate that said company should not be prosecuted for it?
The saying that what is true in theory is not always true in practice, means that the theory is wrong!
~Immanuel Kant
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Arjen wrote:Well, the problem here is that "declining to broadcast", in the case of the threat to national security, that the Biden mails show should be punishable. Especially if that same company does "broadcast" the fake news that it was a Russian plot, in order to cover that fact, is in itself a threat to national security. Fact checking is for off. Plus, what if it takes 5 years to fact check? With 20 days to the elections when that news broke, waiting for fact checking, or investigation by the authorities is also problematic....
As I've said, I'm not really very interested in the specifics of your various claims about Biden, the CCP and so on.

If by "censor" you mean "decline to broadcast" and if by "internet medium" you mean the designer of a social media app then what you're saying is that you want anybody who designs a social media app to be legally obliged to use that app to broadcast anything that anybody wants them to broadcast via it, yes? i.e. they'd be be legally prohibited from declining to use their app to broadcast anything, yes> Would you legally allow them to censure (i.e. comment negatively on) any of the content that they're legally obliged to broadcast?
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Steve3007 wrote: October 21st, 2020, 5:48 am
Arjen wrote:Well, the problem here is that "declining to broadcast", in the case of the threat to national security, that the Biden mails show should be punishable. Especially if that same company does "broadcast" the fake news that it was a Russian plot, in order to cover that fact, is in itself a threat to national security. Fact checking is for off. Plus, what if it takes 5 years to fact check? With 20 days to the elections when that news broke, waiting for fact checking, or investigation by the authorities is also problematic....
As I've said, I'm not really very interested in the specifics of your various claims about Biden, the CCP and so on.

If by "censor" you mean "decline to broadcast" and if by "internet medium" you mean the designer of a social media app then what you're saying is that you want anybody who designs a social media app to be legally obliged to use that app to broadcast anything that anybody wants them to broadcast via it, yes? i.e. they'd be be legally prohibited from declining to use their app to broadcast anything, yes> Would you legally allow them to censure (i.e. comment negatively on) any of the content that they're legally obliged to broadcast?
You have to ask is the repeal of this item practical.
Can you really make a service provider legally responsible for everything that appears through their medium?
It would be like making a motorway owner legally repsonsible for all road traffic accidents and offences. Now it might be that through some negligence in design or maintenance the accident was caused, but ought they be held repsonsible for every speeding offence?
I assume that "service provider" refers to Social media outlets, but why not ISPs?
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

Steve3007 wrote: October 21st, 2020, 5:48 am As I've said, I'm not really very interested in the specifics of your various claims about Biden, the CCP and so on.

You should be worried about what is going on though.
The CCP is doing this kind of thing.
Being from the UK, you should know that by now.
No, not as it belongs to individuals just posting dumb comments.
It is why I wrote:
Arjen wrote: 1) A private person in the streets can more or less say what comes to mind. Even plain lies are often just shrugged off. But, putting that into writing can be prosecuted, depending on the situation.
2) A news agency, with a reach of a lot more people and in placing their messages on paper, or the internet, or in "the ether", is liable (or the reporter) all the time. That is because it is stored and the message reaches many people. So, we (the people) demand honesty. And rightly so.
3) The mail office is never liable for delivering the paper. In fact, declining to deliver is punishable, except in the case of known criminal behaviour.

In the same way, we can look at the internet:

1) A private person in the streets can put stuff into writing on a profile that normally will not be prosecuted. Messages on social media, below news articles are also not prosecuted. There is a small reach to people, plus, who takes that seriously? It is the news article that is taken seriously and has a reach.
2) A news agency, with a reach of many more people, is required to fact check. If it is proven to place proven lies on the internet, it is liable (or the reporter is, depending). That is because it is stored and the message reaches many people. So, we (the people) demand honesty. And rightly so.
3) The Internet service providers, platforms such as youtube, facebook and twitter and web hosting companies take a different position. They SHOULD never be liable for delivering the message. In fact, declining to deliver SHOULD be punishable, except in the case of known criminal behaviour.
Anyway, that means that, the immunity as granted by section 230, only applies if the platforms (and providers) as specified in point 3 take the neutral stance and just show everything, unless proven to be something like a crime. Similar to the postal service, or phone companies. If they will not be neutral, they have to fall under 2 and be liable.

This is exactly what section 230 specifies. Unless I misread the content.

So, the companies have to be classified and perhaps legally registered as belonging to such a class.
The saying that what is true in theory is not always true in practice, means that the theory is wrong!
~Immanuel Kant
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

I like to listen to a bit Leonard Nimoy every now and then too, just to remind me of what's possible.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Oops. Wrong topic. Please ignore.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

I think the internet is still so young that we (i.e. our communities and societies, across the globe) have not yet acceptably re-applied the rules, laws and codes of practice that we apply to other communications media (from books to newspapers to TV). ARPAnet was only invented in the 60s (I think), the internet followed in the late 70s/early 80s, and the world-wide web soon after. There are many posters here who remember all that happening. So it takes time to agree on an acceptable etiquette for the new medium. We'll get there....

As for holding service providers liable for material posted on their websites, I have some sympathy with them. On the one hand, it's simply unfair to hold them responsible for material posted by users who are not under their control. And yet a platform like Facebook, for example, is so big, and reaches so many people, that I am also uncomfortable leaving them entirely without responsibility.

Perhaps the responsibility for what gets posted on the interweb is distributed, with most lying with the people who post unacceptable material, but some applying to the rest of us, and to the platforms that enable them to post? After all, such practices will only become unacceptable once the majority are prepared to condemn individuals for doing it. We didn't stop drunk drivers until the majority became convinced that drunk-driving is unacceptable to them, and to us all. Interweb etiquette is surely much the same?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

Steve3007 wrote: October 21st, 2020, 10:38 am I like to listen to a bit Leonard Nimoy every now and then too, just to remind me of what's possible.
Repeal it! :lol:
The only thing Leonard Nimoy did that was horrible!
Pattern-chaser wrote: As for holding service providers liable for material posted on their websites, I have some sympathy with them. On the one hand, it's simply unfair to hold them responsible for material posted by users who are not under their control. And yet a platform like Facebook, for example, is so big, and reaches so many people, that I am also uncomfortable leaving them entirely without responsibility.
No, it is not unfair. They choose to let complete idiocy go and block a newspaper with a real news story that is factually true, because it wrecked their candidate's chances. How is that honest business. Censor 1 thing and not another, while claiming to be protected by section 230 is going against the spirit and terms of that section.
~Immanuel Kant
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Pattern-chaser wrote: October 21st, 2020, 10:54 am I think the internet is still so young that we (i.e. our communities and societies, across the globe) have not yet acceptably re-applied the rules, laws and codes of practice that we apply to other communications media (from books to newspapers to TV). ARPAnet was only invented in the 60s (I think), the internet followed in the late 70s/early 80s, and the world-wide web soon after. There are many posters here who remember all that happening. So it takes time to agree on an acceptable etiquette for the new medium. We'll get there....

As for holding service providers liable for material posted on their websites, I have some sympathy with them. On the one hand, it's simply unfair to hold them responsible for material posted by users who are not under their control. And yet a platform like Facebook, for example, is so big, and reaches so many people, that I am also uncomfortable leaving them entirely without responsibility.
Yet it is EXACTLY the point of their massive size that makes it impossible to take full responsibility for things that are posted.
The very nature of thesee SM outlets works by offering anyone a means by which to create an identity, and post what they will within mintutes.
The thing about free speech is that it is either free or not, there are not half measures.
If we want to keep free speech then tracability should be Social Media's only obligation.
China manages social media very effectively, but there are still times when (what they regard as.. ) bad material gets out.
But the really difficult question that I have posed at least TWICE on this thread is - if FB is to be held responsible then why no the Internet Service Provider itself? Since ALL Internet traffice is enabled by the ISPs then why do they get a free pass?

Perhaps the responsibility for what gets posted on the interweb is distributed, with most lying with the people who post unacceptable material, but some applying to the rest of us, and to the platforms that enable them to post? After all, such practices will only become unacceptable once the majority are prepared to condemn individuals for doing it. We didn't stop drunk drivers until the majority became convinced that drunk-driving is unacceptable to them, and to us all. Interweb etiquette is surely much the same?
SimonP

Post by SimonP »

Steve3007 wrote: October 20th, 2020, 4:32 am Just to be clear on this: The issue is where the line is drawn, in the social media age, between a passive facilitator of other people's communications and an active creator of content, such as a newspaper. At the ends of this spectrum: The law generally holds the publishers of newspapers to be at least partly responsible for the legality and accuracy of their content. It does not do the same with the telephone company. i.e. if someone uses a phone to tell other people lies, or plot terrorist acts with them, or whatever, the phone company isn't held to be responsible for that. And, of course, the phone company doesn't chip in with a warning if you say something untrue during a phone call. Section 230 effectively treats internet based service providers such as Twitter a bit like the phone company.

Trump's point (or perhaps more accurately, the point of the team who were tasked with retroactively finding a justification for his outrage at being censured) is that if the likes of Twitter are going to filter the content placed on their site for accuracy, as a conventional newspaper does (or at least claims/aspires to do) with its journalism, then they should be treated like a newspaper when it comes to being responsible for that content too. It's a consistency argument. In other words: "If I say something inaccurate or harmful on your platform its your fault for not controlling me.".
There's a very essential difference to a telephone call where someone tells another person lies as posting on social media is public, and is so in a big way so basically everybody is listening. I've just been suspended on Twitter without really knowing why. It's obvious to me that these SM companies are very biased and incompetent when it comes to controlling content and in any case they have far too much power for them to be allowed to reign over our information feed. I'm not sure but I think what's needed is government control to ensure freedom of information exchange with a transparent system dealing with misuse. There then needs to be intergovernment cooperation and agreement to try and achieve common regulation.
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

SimonP wrote: October 21st, 2020, 5:34 pm There's a very essential difference to a telephone call where someone tells another person lies as posting on social media is public, and is so in a big way so basically everybody is listening. I've just been suspended on Twitter without really knowing why. It's obvious to me that these SM companies are very biased and incompetent when it comes to controlling content and in any case they have far too much power for them to be allowed to reign over our information feed. I'm not sure but I think what's needed is government control to ensure freedom of information exchange with a transparent system dealing with misuse. There then needs to be intergovernment cooperation and agreement to try and achieve common regulation.
Do you mean government control by means of more laws, or clearer laws? Of do you mean complete government control of the internet.

My wife being from Hong Kong and the CCP just having taken complete control, make me caution you here.
~Immanuel Kant
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Arjen wrote: October 21st, 2020, 4:30 am
LuckyR wrote: October 21st, 2020, 3:05 am Change? No. Delete? Yes.
Last I heard he was whining about his content being deleted, so I don't believe we are in agreement.
"As usual... it depends."
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

LuckyR wrote: October 22nd, 2020, 3:17 am
Arjen wrote: October 21st, 2020, 4:30 am
Last I heard he was whining about his content being deleted, so I don't believe we are in agreement.
That means again that you judged thing on an emotional basis, because the name Trump was mentioned.
1) The aim of propaganda and censorship is that people will judge things without examining any fact at all. You should recognise this pattern in you and break it by examining facts.
2) This is about article 230 and what you want can be done by repealing section 230. It will have the effect that companies will be allowed to determine what you are informed about. Even to the point of not knowing press releases of the White House and complete lies in renowned newspaoers about federal investigations concerning national security. Is that what you want? To repeal article 230?
~Immanuel Kant
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

This was to LuckyR:
Arjen wrote:You should recognise this pattern in you and break it by examining facts.
As has been noted before, you also need to recognize that you need to try to break the pattern of simply looking for evidence that supports the position you're defending. As a general rule, if you have a strong desire to take a particular position, as you clearly do, look for falsifying evidence. Challenge your own position. If you only look for verifying evidence then, in the internet age, you will always find numerous URLs to link to. If your response to people picking one of those URLs and following it to examine whether it really does support your position is to simply post a load more links, people will just ignore you. I presume you don't want that.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Steve3007 wrote: October 22nd, 2020, 4:21 am This was to LuckyR:
Arjen wrote:You should recognise this pattern in you and break it by examining facts.
As has been noted before, you also need to recognize that you need to try to break the pattern of simply looking for evidence that supports the position you're defending. As a general rule, if you have a strong desire to take a particular position, as you clearly do, look for falsifying evidence. Challenge your own position. If you only look for verifying evidence then, in the internet age, you will always find numerous URLs to link to. If your response to people picking one of those URLs and following it to examine whether it really does support your position is to simply post a load more links, people will just ignore you. I presume you don't want that.
You know what your problem is Lucky: You can't cannot shoehorn this issue into yet another discussion about China. SHAME ON YOU!

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream