How to use the US election system to stage a coup

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
LuckyR

Re: How to use the US election system to stage a coup

Post by LuckyR »

So Trump's lawyer is using the "no reasonable person would believe" in the election fraud narrative as her defense against the defamation lawsuit from Dominion. Sucker born every minute...
"As usual... it depends."
chewybrian
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Post by chewybrian »

LuckyR wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 12:46 pm So Trump's lawyer is using the "no reasonable person would believe" in the election fraud narrative as her defense against the defamation lawsuit from Dominion. Sucker born every minute...
So, nearly half the country is unreasonable for that reason, and it's fair enough to say at least half of the rest are, by other criteria. So, that doesn't leave a lot of room for reason to win out, does it?

He is admitting through his mouthpiece that the whole thing is just a big game and he has no intention to and feels no duty to do the right thing. It was already evident that he felt this way, but now he is on the record. It still won't be enough to dissuade most of his followers, though. It's sad enough to think so many of us can be fooled, but sadder still to think that it doesn't even take real effort or skill to fool us. Just tell us what we want to hear.

Why isn't this enough to make a case against him for sedition or some such thing? He is admitting that he was lying when he sent the crowd down to congress to try to defy the results of the electoral college. Should we allow the most powerful person on the planet to have different facts for different audiences and purposes? This is not a case of keeping facts hidden for national security reasons. He lied to try to steal the election, he readily admits it, and yet we still face the prospect of his being elected in a few more years yet again.
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

LuckyR wrote:So Trump's lawyer is using the "no reasonable person would believe" in the election fraud narrative as her defense against the defamation lawsuit from Dominion. Sucker born every minute...
This is Sidney Powell isn't it. The really wild and creative part is that while using that defence, that no reasonable person would believe the mad theories that were being put forward to try to say that there was election fraud, she's also still stating that she herself still believes that narrative. So, in other words, it's a not guilty by reason of insanity plea!
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

It essentially seems to be:

"I proposes some mad theories about election fraud. You'd have to be mad to believe those theories. I personally do believe those theories. Therefore I am mad. Therefore I am not guilty of proposing mad theories about election fraud."

It's an argument worthy of Joseph Heller.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

chewybrian wrote:He is admitting through his mouthpiece that the whole thing is just a big game...
It's worth noting that the lawyer here is Sidney "Release the Kraken" Powell, who was removed from Trump's team of lawyers during the aftermath of the election because she was too wild even for them. So they can distance themselves from her comfortably enough if they feel the need to do so.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

chewybrian wrote:Why isn't this enough to make a case against him for sedition or some such thing?
The free speech absolutist would reply: Because nobody should be prosecuted for talking, because talking, itself, does no harm. That would include inciting people to storm a building and telling lies about a company and its products. So, on that view, Donald Trump and Sidney Powell are innocent. In the case of Powell, if she tells lies about a company (Dominion voting systems) with the result that the company loses business, they have no grounds to sue her because it's not her that caused them to lose business. She just said some words. It's the people who decide to withdraw their custom on the strength of those words who actually caused them to lose business. And, of course, they're free to do that. So the conclusion there would that telling lies about a company and its products is not, in any sense, wrong or a crime.

An odd view in my opinion!
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

chewybrian wrote:So, nearly half the country is unreasonable for that reason, and it's fair enough to say at least half of the rest are, by other criteria. So, that doesn't leave a lot of room for reason to win out, does it?
Only by her argument, and, by her own apparent admission, she's crazy. I think it's more sensible not to say that half or all of the country are unreasonable, but to simply say that they're busy, that they're apt to believe things that their predispositions already lead them to suspect are probably true, and that they live in an ocean of information. i.e. they're human.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

chewybrian wrote:So, nearly half the country is unreasonable for that reason, and it's fair enough to say at least half of the rest are, by other criteria. So, that doesn't leave a lot of room for reason to win out, does it?
Luckily it looks like the balance is in favour of social liberalism, intelligence, and true patriotism which includes all Americans; and against racism, stupidity, white power, greed and facism.

So it was 4 years ago too, but due to a corrupt electoral collage system which is biased in favour of republican, urban red neck southern and whites; and against urban, democratic, and cultural diversity, Trump managed to get control despite having 3 million fewer votes.

That is not to say that all republicans are racist, stupid, white power mongers and fascist. It is just to say that if you are those things you are going to be voting Trump.
chewybrian

Post by chewybrian »

Steve3007 wrote: March 24th, 2021, 8:25 am
Only by her argument, and, by her own apparent admission, she's crazy. I think it's more sensible not to say that half or all of the country are unreasonable, but to simply say that they're busy, that they're apt to believe things that their predispositions already lead them to suspect are probably true, and that they live in an ocean of information. i.e. they're human.
I get what you are saying, but this is really important information and the facts are rather easy to verify. Trump lied about the election results for several months. He had his day in court many times over and lost every time. He maintained the lie to the very end, and tried to incite his followers to overturn a legitimate election at the highest level.

So, we went to the brink of having this guy take over our country like a third world military dictator. Are we going to dismiss this near-miss and give everyone a pass for not noticing that democracy itself was in jeopardy? Are we ready to explain to our children that we were too busy to notice our freedoms being stripped from us? Isn't the the right to have your vote heard more important than any individual or any policy you would like to see put in place?
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
chewybrian

Post by chewybrian »

Sculptor1 wrote: March 24th, 2021, 9:48 am
Luckily it looks like the balance is in favour of social liberalism, intelligence, and true patriotism which includes all Americans; and against racism, stupidity, white power, greed and facism.

So it was 4 years ago too, but due to a corrupt electoral collage system which is biased in favour of republican, urban red neck southern and whites; and against urban, democratic, and cultural diversity, Trump managed to get control despite having 3 million fewer votes.

That is not to say that all republicans are racist, stupid, white power mongers and fascist. It is just to say that if you are those things you are going to be voting Trump.
I think you've got that right except for omitting one new problem. The Republicans are working very hard right now to disenfranchise as many voters as possible to see that this corrupt election system continues, or even gets better at keeping the "wrong" people from exercising their right to vote.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

chewybrian wrote: March 24th, 2021, 9:53 am

I think you've got that right except for omitting one new problem. The Republicans are working very hard right now to disenfranchise as many voters as possible to see that this corrupt election system continues, or even gets better at keeping the "wrong" people from exercising their right to vote.
A certain amount of that has already happened.
I would hope that the literacy test administered by whites to disenfranchise blacks is now a thing of the past..

I've heard that IDs, bank accounts and so forth have been used as qualifying blocks to stop voting.
What are the republicans up to now that I had not heard about?

Are ex-cons allowed to vote?
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

chewybrian wrote:
Steve3007 wrote:Only by her argument, and, by her own apparent admission, she's crazy. I think it's more sensible not to say that half or all of the country are unreasonable, but to simply say that they're busy, that they're apt to believe things that their predispositions already lead them to suspect are probably true, and that they live in an ocean of information. i.e. they're human.
I get what you are saying, but this is really important information and the facts are rather easy to verify. Trump lied about the election results for several months. He had his day in court many times over and lost every time. He maintained the lie to the very end, and tried to incite his followers to overturn a legitimate election at the highest level.
I agree, but nevertheless no matter how easy the facts are to verify, most people don't verify them. Most people, both in my personal experience and judging by events like the one we're discussing, take almost no interest in finding out any details of what goes on in their own political systems. I know plenty of people who just about know the name of the Prime Minister, but anything more than that: forget it. They're therefore vulnerable to even the most crude forms of political manipulation, as we discovered here in the UK during the Brexit referendum, for example.

But it won't do any good to dismiss whole swathes of the population as unreasonable or ignorant. The only effect of that will be that they call us lefty, elitist, intellectual snobs (as they did here in the Brexit referendum). It all just ends in football crowd style name calling. The tough challenge is trying to work out how people can be persuaded to verify or falsify what they believe before believing it, without alienating them.
chewybrian

Post by chewybrian »

Sculptor1 wrote: March 24th, 2021, 10:08 am
chewybrian wrote: March 24th, 2021, 9:53 am

A certain amount of that has already happened.
I would hope that the literacy test administered by whites to disenfranchise blacks is now a thing of the past..

I've heard that IDs, bank accounts and so forth have been used as qualifying blocks to stop voting.
What are the republicans up to now that I had not heard about?

Are ex-cons allowed to vote?
There are too many to mention, but it includes barring felons from voting, requiring ID's to vote (often requiring so many forms of ID that poor people give up!), barring illegals from voting, stopping mail or on-line voting, limiting or eliminating early voting, eliminating all forms of automatic or passive registrations, killing citizen-led initiatives...

It has nothing to do with stopping fraud or "restoring faith in the system" and everything to do with looking at who votes by which method and limiting options for your adversaries and widening them for your supporters. For example:
Georgia Republicans would sharply limit early voting on Sundays, when many Black voters follow church services with “souls to the polls” bus rides to cast ballots.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/27/us/r ... ssion.html
At the top of those efforts is a slew of bills raising new barriers to casting votes, particularly the mail ballots that Democrats flocked to in the 2020 election. But other measures go well beyond that, including tweaking Electoral College and judicial election rules for the benefit of Republicans; clamping down on citizen-led ballot initiatives; and outlawing private donations that provide resources for administering elections, which were crucial to the smooth November vote....

“The typical response by a losing party in a functioning democracy is that they alter their platform to make it more appealing,” Kenneth Mayer, an expert on voting and elections at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, said. “Here the response is to try to keep people from voting. It’s dangerously antidemocratic.”...
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Steve3007 wrote: March 24th, 2021, 7:42 am
LuckyR wrote:So Trump's lawyer is using the "no reasonable person would believe" in the election fraud narrative as her defense against the defamation lawsuit from Dominion. Sucker born every minute...
This is Sidney Powell isn't it. The really wild and creative part is that while using that defence, that no reasonable person would believe the mad theories that were being put forward to try to say that there was election fraud, she's also still stating that she herself still believes that narrative. So, in other words, it's a not guilty by reason of insanity plea!
Well to be clear, the suckers I referenced are any jurors in the Dominion case who believe this current argument. No doubt the original claim of fraud was factually a blatant lie, but using the term "lie" implies it could be (and actually was) believable by someone.
"As usual... it depends."
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

chewybrian wrote:...It has nothing to do with stopping fraud or "restoring faith in the system" and everything to do with looking at who votes by which method and limiting options for your adversaries and widening them for your supporters...
Interesting and disturbing. I guess they can claim that it's about "restoring faith in the system" while neglecting to mention that it was lies like those spread by Trump, Powell, Giuliani and others that damaged faith in the system in the first place! It seems any system that not only needs to work well but needs the public to believe it to be working well can easily be corrupted by people telling the public that it isn't working when it is.

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream