Cancel Cutlure

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
HJCarden

Cancel Cutlure

Post by HJCarden »

As I'm sure that any of you that frequent the internet know, cancel culture is one of the hottest issues in the political social sphere in the US, and im sure it is present in many other nations. I would be willing to bet that most of us easily can see what the issues with "cancelling" someone and calling in a virtual mob to destroy their reputation. Theres a laundry list of reasons to believe that cancel culture has negative effects, and I am convinced that the cons far outweigh what is gained by cancel culture.

Because of this, I would be very interested in anyone's ideas who

1) genuinely believes that cancel culture does more good than harm

2) Can give a good defense of the positive aspects of cancel culture

3) feels as if they have an interesting take on why cancel culture is bad for our society

Personally I feel as if I create an echo chamber for myself in regards to this issue particularly, as I have been unable to convince myself of any manner in which the benefits can outweigh the negatives. Interested to hear anyones ideas or general discourse and observations.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Re: Cancel Cutlure

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Dictionary.com wrote:Dictionary.com, in its pop-culture dictionary, defines cancel culture as "withdrawing support for (canceling) public figures and companies after they have done or said something considered objectionable or offensive."
Having had a quick read about Cancel Culture on the interweb, I can see the negative side: those who do this elect themselves judge, jury and executioner. But on the positive side, this is a way people can democratically express their disapproval of a person/company who has behaved unacceptably. If POTUS Trump was 'cancelled', for example, wouldn't this be a good and sensible thing? Historical figures and companies are universally reviled if their actions were bad enough...? Hitler and Nazis are the obvious example; there are many more.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

HJCarden wrote: January 1st, 2021, 1:32 am As I'm sure that any of you that frequent the internet know, cancel culture is one of the hottest issues in the political social sphere in the US, and im sure it is present in many other nations. I would be willing to bet that most of us easily can see what the issues with "cancelling" someone and calling in a virtual mob to destroy their reputation. Theres a laundry list of reasons to believe that cancel culture has negative effects, and I am convinced that the cons far outweigh what is gained by cancel culture.

3) feels as if they have an interesting take on why cancel culture is bad for our society

Personally I feel as if I create an echo chamber for myself in regards to this issue particularly, as I have been unable to convince myself of any manner in which the benefits can outweigh the negatives. Interested to hear anyones ideas or general discourse and observations.
It seems that you have offered something I'd not thought of . Trump has attempted to make this an art form. I am sure he thinks that he is the master of this art.

Cancel Culture is wholly undemocratic.
It is counter productive. Whilst you can cancel a man, attempting to cancel the ideas that go with him is is not a good idea.
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

It's just a contemporary version of close-minded/conformist mobs armed with pitchforks and torches.
baker

Post by baker »

Terrapin Station wrote: January 1st, 2021, 11:30 amIt's just a contemporary version of close-minded/conformist mobs armed with pitchforks and torches.
Underestimate them at your own peril.
baker

Post by baker »

HJCarden wrote: January 1st, 2021, 1:32 am/.../
How about what happened to Harvey Weinstein or Bill Cosby? Why not say that those were examples of cancel culture?
Terrapin Station

baker wrote: January 1st, 2021, 2:30 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: January 1st, 2021, 11:30 amIt's just a contemporary version of close-minded/conformist mobs armed with pitchforks and torches.
Underestimate them at your own peril.
It's not an estimation, just a description.
baker

Post by baker »

And this is what you'd call the people who took action against Weinstein or Cosby, for example?
Count Lucanor
Favorite Philosopher: Umberto Eco

Post by Count Lucanor »

HJCarden wrote: January 1st, 2021, 1:32 am As I'm sure that any of you that frequent the internet know, cancel culture is one of the hottest issues in the political social sphere in the US, and im sure it is present in many other nations. I would be willing to bet that most of us easily can see what the issues with "cancelling" someone and calling in a virtual mob to destroy their reputation. Theres a laundry list of reasons to believe that cancel culture has negative effects, and I am convinced that the cons far outweigh what is gained by cancel culture.

I can't find much positive aspects of cancel culture, although one might suppose there might be instances where it could be considered appropriate, given the context, as a way of introducing social accountability in our actions. For me, these context-oriented scenarios would have to do with concrete, direct, harmful actions against specific subjects, not dependent of the victim's subjective feelings. Let's say one is subject of a criminal act, then one might expect the perpetrator is somehow outcast as a way of social punishment. There are no blurred lines here.

But if one reverses the coin, many acts that are not deemed as criminal per se, actually harm people's lives, and that is the case of cancel culture, which is nurtured by the objective of carrying out the social assassination of other people for their apparent cultural transgressions. Then one wonders if such people are not to be cancelled themselves, since ironically, those who actively engage in cancelling other people are the ones actually harming others. But this is precisely the toxic cycle in which cancel culture reproduces itself, where emotions take control and one is ready to punish the transgressors. Anger gives us the justification, but where's the difference? Blurred lines now divide what is morally justified from what is not. I think the difference in social accountability lies in both the type of punishment and the type of offense being punished. Let's use as an example the latest case of cancel culture in the news, the cancelling of Mimi Groves:

A Vindictive Teen Destroys a Classmate

As we can see here, the vindictive teen is the one actually harming a person's life on purpose, "to teach someone a lesson". Let's add to the culprits the administrators of the University of Tennessee. Mimi Groves is clearly the victim here, so why wouldn't be justified in pointing our cultural guns against Galligan or the university administrators "to teach them a lesson"? And wouldn't we be guilty of engaging in cancel culture practices against other people? My best guess is "an eye for an eye": the punishment should be proportional to the damage inflicted, and in this case, Galligan and the university administrators deserve to be publicly shamed, even if the social consequences go beyond their damaged reputation, because it was OK for them to publicly shame and to achieve administrative punishment against their target. Both actively and passively, they sought to harm someone for one thing that at most could be considered a minor transgression (I personally don't think it even reaches that level, she didn't actually harm anyone, didn't commit a crime, and didn't have any intention to do it), so the punishment was way out of proportion. I also think they should be allowed to find social redemption if they sincerely regret and apologize for their actions.

About cancel culture in general, I may add: there's a misguiding trend that portrays it as something new and as a particular feature of the "regressive left". The truth is cancel cultural has been around for quite a while and has been used widely in both ends of the political spectrum. McCarthyism was a classic case of cancel culture from the right. And there are some particularly interesting cases of cancel culture documented by Norman Finkelstein in his work about Israel lobbyists seeking economic reparations for the holocaust of WWII.

That cancel culture has become a trend in our days seems to go along with the process of becoming a "global village" and the return to social practices that were typical of the mode of living in agrarian societies. In small villages and towns where every one knew each other, gossip and public shaming were common social tools for managing power relations. With the rise of urban life and increased anonymity in social relations, these tools were not very effective, but with the technological advances in communications, they have found new effectiveness again.
The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Terrapin Station

baker wrote: January 1st, 2021, 3:08 pm
And this is what you'd call the people who took action against Weinstein or Cosby, for example?
It's how I'd describe a lot of the sexual harassment accusations that have been made. I never explored the details on Weinstein or Cosby in any depth. I normally don't spend a lot of time learning about details re daily politics or news in general, partially because it just tends to annoy me, because of the stuff that people care about versus don't care about, because of conventional opinions and attitudes about a lot of stuff, etc. I focus my attention elsewhere, on work and leisure stuff that interests me.
Zarathustra66
New Trial Member

Post by Zarathustra66 »

Does seem to be an anglophone phenomena and seemingly absent in most European countries. Wondering whether it be another example of what Huntington referred to as the 'excess of democracy' and the US's penchant for litigation, where spurious arguments are made so the legions of lawyers can make some work for themselves?
Papus79

Post by Papus79 »

Terrapin Station wrote: January 1st, 2021, 11:30 am It's just a contemporary version of close-minded/conformist mobs armed with pitchforks and torches.
I'd agree with this - ie. that it's nothing remotely new, rather it's old human habits armed with new technology and paved the way for by a sort of 20th century silliness where it was believed that any notion that human beings weren't filled with anything but untapped good was some form of old-fashion barbarism of the sort that was for people too benighted to have television - it shows that we engage in enough escapism to need to keep repeating our mistakes.

There are also just all sorts of miserable people who don't feel alive unless they're chasing after what they perceive as other people's problems (as a way of trying to outrun their own minds).
Terrapin Station wrote: January 1st, 2021, 11:30 amAnd this is what you'd call the people who took action against Weinstein or Cosby, for example?
Clearly not an unabated good, and where this tends to go - anything that has power without accountability fills up with grifters and psychopaths fast even if it started with good intent or found its public acceptability by slaying a few legitimate dragons. Suppose one has to crack a few eggs to make an omelet though, particularly in the world of reactionary politics.
Humbly watching Youtube in Universe 25. - Me
Papus79

Post by Papus79 »

Papus79 wrote: January 1st, 2021, 10:46 pm by a sort of 20th century silliness where it was believed that any notion that human beings weren't filled with anything but untapped good was some form of old-fashion barbarism of the sort that was for people too benighted to have television
* meant to say were, not weren't.

I've coined something of a phrase for that 1980's / 1990's silliness 'Millentology'.
Humbly watching Youtube in Universe 25. - Me
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Sorry, but to me this is much ado about not much. Folks who profit from social media do something that their audience doesn't like so the gravy train gets cut off. Who cares? It's poetic justice. No one has a "right" to social media popularity and compensation.
"As usual... it depends."
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

Lucanor
That cancel culture has become a trend in our days seems to go along with the process of becoming a "global village" and the return to social practices that were typical of the mode of living in agrarian societies. In small villages and towns where every one knew each other, gossip and public shaming were common social tools for managing power relations. With the rise of urban life and increased anonymity in social relations, these tools were not very effective, but with the technological advances in communications, they have found new effectiveness again.
I think that's right, being gossipy and judgy is part of us. And the anonynimity of the internet can turn it into a blood sport.

We all have our own lines of acceptability, and what ought or ought not be 'allowed' or consequence free. And we have different cultural and generational influences on that too. The ability to indulge it is now just an anonymous mouse click away, it's so easy. Just like judging people for their looks or class or education or anything else. Judging people for their actions can sometimes have merit. Deciding to boycott a company or person because of some moral position isn't bad per se. But the mob mentality and triviality of the 'infractions', with no interest in understanding or moving forward constructively, can be vicious. Being a public figure requires a thick skin and an ability to play the games which keep you out of the cross hairs, but do we really only want thick skinned, inauthentic people to be in politics, for example?

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream