Facebook versus the Australian Government - Who is Right?

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
Steve3007
Favorite Philosopher: Eratosthenes of Cyrene

Re: Facebook versus the Australian Government - Who is Right?

Post by Steve3007 » February 23rd, 2021, 6:55 am

It depends what you consider to be compelling.

Pattern-chaser
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser » February 23rd, 2021, 7:18 am

Aren't there right-wing views to be seen pretty much everywhere? How many nations entertain left-wing sympathies these days? Not very many, I don't think.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"

Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg » February 23rd, 2021, 5:21 pm

Robert66 wrote:
February 22nd, 2021, 1:54 pm
The real shame of it all for me is, to echo Sy, that we are everywhere now being fed a very poor media diet.

Where are the compelling right wing views to be found?
Or, rather, where are the compelling views per se?

I am struggling to remember the last time a right/left political issue was much discussed in the public sphere. Rather, it seems to be largely about Trump and mission to save the US from an imaginary paedo cabal and Trump's failed coup attempt.

What is conservative today? It's hard to imagine that Republicans were the same party that once focused on national debt. GWB inherited a surplus from Bill Clinton and, after eight years, had created the US's (then) largest ever deficit. Obama slowed the debt for eight years and then Trump rapidly accelerated it again. In light of this, talking about "small government" makes little sense.

It seems that Republicans don't know what they stand for any more - or at least they talk about it less than they simply follow whatever Trump says. To be fair, his achievements in office were peerless, having done far more in office to enrich his family and work on his golf handicap than any POTUS before him.

Robert66

Post by Robert66 » Yesterday, 6:45 pm

Pattern-chaser wrote:
February 23rd, 2021, 6:24 am
Robert66 wrote:
In these only-just-post-Trump days, I think the answer is "Everywhere!".
I see what you mean, Pattern-chaser. Some have been compelled to don horns and raid the Capitol even. Its just that I haven't been persuaded in the slightest by a right wing argument for ages.

Maybe persuasive would be a better word to use than compelling.

Robert66

Post by Robert66 » Yesterday, 6:50 pm

'It seems that Republicans don't know what they stand for any more - or at least they talk about it less'

That is what I'm talking about - some of them surely do know what they stand for. Let's hear from them. Come on - what would a great America actually be like, under a Republican government? Any takers?

Pattern-chaser

Post by Pattern-chaser » Today, 8:34 am

Robert66 wrote:
Yesterday, 6:45 pm
Pattern-chaser wrote:
February 23rd, 2021, 6:24 am
Robert66 wrote:
In these only-just-post-Trump days, I think the answer is "Everywhere!".
I see what you mean, Pattern-chaser. Some have been compelled to don horns and raid the Capitol even. Its just that I haven't been persuaded in the slightest by a right wing argument for ages.

Maybe persuasive would be a better word to use than compelling.
Oh. 😊 Yes. I see what you mean, now. 😊 Personally, I have never encountered a convincing or compelling right-wing argument. However you frame it, it seems to come out 'greed, greed, me, me, I-will-take-it-from-you-so-that-I-can-have-it'.

Robert66 wrote:
Yesterday, 6:50 pm
'It seems that Republicans don't know what they stand for any more - or at least they talk about it less'

That is what I'm talking about - some of them surely do know what they stand for. Let's hear from them. Come on - what would a great America actually be like, under a Republican government? Any takers?
A "great" America? Wow, you creative types are amazing, the things you can come up with! A great America. 🤔 Whoever woulda thoughta that? 🤔 Just wow.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"

Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 » Today, 9:12 am

News Media owns the Australian government.
In fact as many of us in the UK know, that since Murcoch's News Group took over most of the papers in the UK, Murdoch has basically mandated each PM since the late 1970s.
Each party leader has had to go cap-in-hand to Ruprick. And of you are wondering how Trump got where he did, you might ask yourself who owns Fox Media.
Australia was the first in line for Murdoch's empire.
So whilst FB was able to, at first, to call their bluff, someone has pointed out to Zuckernberg the smell of coffee, and FB has folded.
This is a sad day for freedom of speech, now FB is going to have to be forced to link the news AND they are going to have to pay for it too.
It's like being told to eat your poison and being made to pay for it.

Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 » Today, 9:14 am

Robert66 wrote:
Yesterday, 6:50 pm

The republicans are clueless since, Rupert Murdoch has forgotten to remind them recently what they are supposed to stand for.
He'll get round to it in time for the next Presidential. He probably wants to see how his protege, Trump, is doing first.

Pattern-chaser

Post by Pattern-chaser » Today, 9:18 am

Sculptor1 wrote:
Today, 9:12 am
News Media owns the Australian government.
In fact as many of us in the UK know, that since Murcoch's News Group took over most of the papers in the UK, Murdoch has basically mandated each PM since the late 1970s.

Yes, this justifies my position, of total support for the national government involved. Unelected international business enterprises cannot be allowed to extend their dominance, and that can only be prevented by taking positive action now, while we still can. [Or am I too late with that sentiment? Is it already too late?] So, even if FB are right, and the Oz government wrong, I still support the latter, for reasons I consider to be over-riding.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"

Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream