...without incident.

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
LuckyR

Re: ...without incident.

Post by LuckyR »

Both BLM and police apologists would benefit from focusing on unconscious bias rather than racism/bigotry. Not that the latter doesn't exist, far from it. But if change is the goal, it is far easier to correct unconscious bias, which is likely responsible for a greater proportion of the atrocities than placard wavers assume, than racism/bigotry.
"As usual... it depends."
Alias
Favorite Philosopher: Terry Pratchett

Post by Alias »

... and for heaven's sake, disarm the population as well as the police so that every confrontation doesn't increase the death toll and escalate the hostilities. You know how you can't start repairing an engine until it cools down? That!
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Alias wrote: March 27th, 2021, 1:19 pm ... and for heaven's sake, disarm the population as well as the police so that every confrontation doesn't increase the death toll and escalate the hostilities. You know how you can't start repairing an engine until it cools down? That!
I would do it in heartbeat if I possessed a magic wand. As it happens there is no practical way to accomplish that.
Alias

Post by Alias »

I know.
All the same, there must be some practical steps that can be taken in that general direction. Because, you know that overheating car engine you can't work on? It's going to burn itself out if somebody doesn't fix something pretty damn soon.
Those who can induce you to believe absurdities can induce you to commit atrocities. - Voltaire
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Alias wrote: March 28th, 2021, 12:04 am I know.
All the same, there must be some practical steps that can be taken in that general direction. Because, you know that overheating car engine you can't work on? It's going to burn itself out if somebody doesn't fix something pretty damn soon.
Rampaging shooters account for a tiny fraction of gun deaths. They have overlarge coverage in the media and in the public consciousness because it isn't limited to the poor parts of the inner city, so Karen Homemaker might be a victim, unlike a driveby.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Alias wrote: March 27th, 2021, 1:19 pm ... and for heaven's sake, disarm the population as well as the police so that every confrontation doesn't increase the death toll and escalate the hostilities. You know how you can't start repairing an engine until it cools down? That!
LuckyR wrote: March 27th, 2021, 10:48 pm I would do it in heartbeat if I possessed a magic wand. As it happens there is no practical way to accomplish that.

I think there is a practical way to accomplish it: by simply doing it. Americans can be weaned away from their culture of violence and retribution. It wouldn't be easy, and the most violent and vengeful of them would find it the most difficult of all, but it could be done, in practice as well as in theory. But I agree, they'll never actually do it. I observe only that it could be done.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
chewybrian
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Post by chewybrian »

LuckyR wrote: March 27th, 2021, 12:50 pm Both BLM and police apologists would benefit from focusing on unconscious bias rather than racism/bigotry. Not that the latter doesn't exist, far from it. But if change is the goal, it is far easier to correct unconscious bias, which is likely responsible for a greater proportion of the atrocities than placard wavers assume, than racism/bigotry.
I agree with everything except the notion that it might be easy to correct unconscious bias. The person who has it (everybody!) doesn't think or know or want to believe that they have it. We all know that *other* people are vulnerable to advertising, but not *us*, right?

The two cognitive biases that are virtually universal and very harmful are the objectivity bias and the fundamental attribution error. Pretty much everyone thinks they can look out upon the world and see facts without their preconceptions getting in the way to any extent that would materially affect their judgements. We also tend to think that we can judge the intentions of others most of the time based only upon their actions (though we certainly have our reasons to excuse ourselves when we break the rules).

I think that if you can get someone to recognize these two roadblocks to reason, to acknowledge that they have fallen victim to them in the past and will again, and to be always on guard, you will have created a philosopher. This is no small task.
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
Alias

Post by Alias »

It is in the recognition and discussion of unconscious bias that the popular media are instrumental.
We have all seen how certain communication streams have have brought out the hidden hatreds and fears that so many people harboured but were ashamed to admit. Those public figures and their platforms who expressed those sentiments openly, encouraged and supported them in others, were largely responsible for turning personal bigotry to violent group action. (I don't mean the police; that community has its own closed culture.)
What made those bigots ashamed enough to hide their feelings for several decades was also popular media? The images of international, inter-ethnic, inter-gender and interracial cooperation that people saw on television every evening. They didn't go far or deep enough: network executives are very timid in matters of social change; they need a lot of pressure from the audience, and their effect was somewhat mitigated by social media and much hampered by video games. Yet, they made a difference. I know, because I've been monitoring trends in popular programming since about 1965 and watched the changes percolate through the half-conscious attitudes of three generations. Did you see all those pale-skinned youngish people in the BLM marches? They're the product of television from the late 20th century. The millennials, also well represented in the marches, had more complex influences and are less coherent in their convictions.

I believe an important part of changing mind-sets would be well-funded, fearless non-commercial television. Another is open discussion in news media. (Don't just suppress the unaccaptable: turn a search-light on it!)
Of course, it all takes time.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Alias wrote: March 29th, 2021, 4:42 pm It is in the recognition and discussion of unconscious bias that the popular media are instrumental.
We have all seen how certain communication streams have have brought out the hidden hatreds and fears that so many people harboured but were ashamed to admit.

The media are responsible for encouraging those fears; playing on those hatreds.

https://www.change.org/p/ipso-investiga ... oss-the-uk
th.jpg
th.jpg (19.23 KiB) Viewed 2359 times
Attachments
th.jpg
th.jpg (19.23 KiB) Viewed 2359 times
Alias

Post by Alias »

Is that an accurate cross-section of mainstream news and entertainment media?
Or the specific indictment of a hand-picked sample?
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

chewybrian wrote: March 29th, 2021, 4:08 pm
LuckyR wrote: March 27th, 2021, 12:50 pm Both BLM and police apologists would benefit from focusing on unconscious bias rather than racism/bigotry. Not that the latter doesn't exist, far from it. But if change is the goal, it is far easier to correct unconscious bias, which is likely responsible for a greater proportion of the atrocities than placard wavers assume, than racism/bigotry.
I agree with everything except the notion that it might be easy to correct unconscious bias. The person who has it (everybody!) doesn't think or know or want to believe that they have it. We all know that *other* people are vulnerable to advertising, but not *us*, right?

The two cognitive biases that are virtually universal and very harmful are the objectivity bias and the fundamental attribution error. Pretty much everyone thinks they can look out upon the world and see facts without their preconceptions getting in the way to any extent that would materially affect their judgements. We also tend to think that we can judge the intentions of others most of the time based only upon their actions (though we certainly have our reasons to excuse ourselves when we break the rules).

I think that if you can get someone to recognize these two roadblocks to reason, to acknowledge that they have fallen victim to them in the past and will again, and to be always on guard, you will have created a philosopher. This is no small task.
I didn't say "easy", I said "easier". Although for some it would be easy, for most it would be a slow, gradual process, perhaps akin to the societal view of gays and gay marriage over about a decade.
chewybrian
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Post by chewybrian »

LuckyR wrote: March 30th, 2021, 2:40 am
chewybrian wrote: March 29th, 2021, 4:08 pm

I didn't say "easy", I said "easier". Although for some it would be easy, for most it would be a slow, gradual process, perhaps akin to the societal view of gays and gay marriage over about a decade.
OK, I was not very direct; I'll try again. It might be very difficult to persuade the hard core racists to change now, but we should not forget that most people have already changed. They already rid themselves of conscious bias and overt, intentional acts of discrimination. It wasn't easy, but it was possible and it happened. Convincing these same people to rid themselves of unconscious bias is a much taller task. There is a great sympathy among whites for MLK's march, but not so much for Kaepernick's kneeling or BLM protests. We recognize that we were outwardly discriminating in the past and that it was wrong. But, we don't even see that we are making unconscious, unfair judgements in the present, so we resent being told we need to change.

My grandparents' generation, and to a lesser extent my parents' generation allowed and experienced overt racism and intolerance of gays. My parents' generation (mostly) made the conscious decision to end overt racial discrimination. They made a change in their lifetimes away from conscious bias toward fairness. But, the unconscious bias remained and it is still there. My generation experienced overt, socially acceptable discrimination based on orientation, and made a conscious decision to be more tolerant, but unconscious bias remains.

You reference a decade or so of change. During this decade, I would say people are moving away from conscious bias, from overt discrimination. But, do they really get rid of the unconscious bias in this time? I think if they were tested, or if they were able to be very honest about their gut feelings, we would see that the unconscious bias lingers on long after they made a conscious decision to change.

Look at BLM as an example. The laws have become much more just, though they are still not perfect. But, the enforcement of the laws arguably still has a long way to go. Are the police or courts making a conscious decision to enforce the law unevenly, or do they have unconscious bias in play (or do people of different races just break they law unevenly)?

In short, if conscious bias is harder to break, then how did we (mostly) break it? If unconscious bias is easier to stop, why does it still remain?
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
Alias

Post by Alias »

We will all, always, have some unconscious biases. We may not be able to change that.
But we can, and do change our behaviour. It maybe doesn't matter so much that you instinctively fear a large man, simply because he is large and a man, while you are a small woman, and how the history of those two types of entity has conditioned you to feel, as long as you can consciously override that prejudice and answer politely, when all he's asking for is directions to the subway.
Once behaviours - legal, societal and interpersonal - change, minds and feeling will follow.
When people encounter hostility, they tend to respond with hostility, which then reinforces whatever motivated the original hostility, and so forth. Don't underestimate the power of the mirror-neuron and the caveman's nose: we do unconsciously reflect whatever we see in others of our kind and unknowingly react to the smell of emotions.

You can see this in the different atmosphere of various work-places. The tone set by management - how people are treated - permeates every interaction, transaction and conversation, every procedure - the very air feels harassed or relaxed, anxious or calm. The same things happens in a nation.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Alias wrote: March 29th, 2021, 7:07 pm Is that an accurate cross-section of mainstream news and entertainment media?
Or the specific indictment of a hand-picked sample?
It's a large number of samples, selected to illustrate the point. It's definitely not an "accurate cross-section", but it does clearly show us the extent to which these billionaire media-bigots (and their lackeys) will go to promote their hateful views.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Alias

Post by Alias »

Pattern-chaser wrote: March 30th, 2021, 12:36 pm It's a large number of samples, selected to illustrate the point. It's definitely not an "accurate cross-section", but it does clearly show us the extent to which these billionaire media-bigots (and their lackeys) will go to promote their hateful views.
I know about the special-interest publishing and broadcast network, but it's hardly fair to lump all television and magazines and newspapers in with the gutter press. In any case, these billionnaires (who probably don't care which prejudices they promote, as long as it empowers the stupidest voters to elect their political tools and thwart social reform) need to be off-set by the robust, independent public networks I mentioned earlier.

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream