Marijuana Legalization Affects on Cost of Marijuana [Split from Does Society Need Prisons?]

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
LuckyR

Marijuana Legalization Affects on Cost of Marijuana [Split from Does Society Need Prisons?]

Post by LuckyR »

Pattern-chaser wrote: March 30th, 2021, 12:31 pm
LuckyR wrote: March 30th, 2021, 2:32 am "ending" the drug war isn't good enough, since it would depend on what the new situation is. Make drug use a misdemeanor? Make it legal to use but illegal to sell large amounts? Legal to sell but illegal to mak? There are numerous ways to go. Some would keep the big money people intact and money begets violence.
I'm surprised that an American doesn't take up the Capitalist viewpoint: the state - or a licensed commercial representative - could produce and sell quality-controlled drugs, and they could and would generate profit, and tax revenue too. That assumes full decriminalisation of all drugs, of course - a policy that has delivered some significant successes in Portugal, and (I think) other countries too.

Once all drugs were legal, the formerly-illegal drugs trade would no longer be profitable. It justifies its prices because the traders in drugs take the risk of discovery and imprisonment. Legal drugs could be sold for half (?) the current price, with working quality-control and consistency, and still deliver a worthwhile profit... 🤔 And no obvious connection to violence either... 🤔
As you know I wasn't commenting on my preference for what the post Drug War situation should look like.

I have posted in other threads that I do not support making all medications available to the public. Though I feel that the marijuana experience shows that the dispensary costs can exceed the street price (but that many but not all consumers choose to pay the higher price to stay legal).
"As usual... it depends."
GE Morton

Re: Does Society Need Prisons?

Post by GE Morton »

LuckyR wrote: March 30th, 2021, 5:50 pm Though I feel that the marijuana experience shows that the dispensary costs can exceed the street price (but that many but not all consumers choose to pay the higher price to stay legal).
The reason legal marijuana is expensive is because the State slaps a confiscatory tax on those vendors. Pols are always looking for new sources of revenue so they can deliver more free lunches to clamoring constituents.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

GE Morton wrote: March 30th, 2021, 8:43 pm
LuckyR wrote: March 30th, 2021, 5:50 pm Though I feel that the marijuana experience shows that the dispensary costs can exceed the street price (but that many but not all consumers choose to pay the higher price to stay legal).
The reason legal marijuana is expensive is because the State slaps a confiscatory tax on those vendors. Pols are always looking for new sources of revenue so they can deliver more free lunches to clamoring constituents.
Sure everyone knows the reason, but my point is it is a fallacy to propose that legal equals cheap.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

LuckyR wrote: March 30th, 2021, 9:03 pm
Sure everyone knows the reason, but my point is it is a fallacy to propose that legal equals cheap.

I assume you are allowed to grow your own where buying is legal?
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Sculptor1 wrote: April 1st, 2021, 3:43 pm

You can have 4 plants, but you can't sell so it doesn't impact retail pricing.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

LuckyR wrote: March 30th, 2021, 5:50 pm I have posted in other threads that I do not support making all medications available to the public. Though I feel that the marijuana experience shows that the dispensary costs can exceed the street price (but that many but not all consumers choose to pay the higher price to stay legal).
How legalization caused the price of marijuana to collapse - The Washington Post
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

LuckyR wrote: April 1st, 2021, 4:48 pm

If everyone had four plants, then the market would die completely
But if no one were allowed to grow without a licence, that would make it a sellers market.

SO I disagree that it has no impact.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Sculptor1 wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 12:18 pm

But if no one were allowed to grow without a licence, that would make it a sellers market.

Huh? No one is allowed to sell without a license, so how is that a seller's market?
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Pattern-chaser wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 7:13 am
LuckyR wrote: March 30th, 2021, 5:50 pm I have posted in other threads that I do not support making all medications available to the public. Though I feel that the marijuana experience shows that the dispensary costs can exceed the street price (but that many but not all consumers choose to pay the higher price to stay legal).
How legalization caused the price of marijuana to collapse - The Washington Post
Exactly, the illégal market is cheaper than the legal price.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

LuckyR wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 2:13 am
Sculptor1 wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 12:18 pm

Huh? No one is allowed to sell without a license, so how is that a seller's market?
If you can grow your own you do not buy. Equals no market at all.

If you cannot grow your own, then you have no choice but to buy or go without. That is a sellers market.

Did you misread what I said?
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

LuckyR wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 2:14 am
Exactly, the illégal market is cheaper than the legal price.
ALL pot is cheaper, though. Legalisation made it so.
Criminalising the market makes it very expensive.
illegal dope in a legal market is cheap.
All dope in an illegal market is expensive.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Exactly, the illegal market is cheaper than the legal price.

Huh? From the article I linked, that you (apparently) just read:
All the diverse effects of legalizing recreational marijuana may not be clear for a number of years, but one consequence has become evident almost immediately: Pot has never been so cheap.
It seems the illegal market is not cheaper than the legal price.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Pattern-chaser wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 7:57 am
Exactly, the illegal market is cheaper than the legal price.

Huh? From the article I linked, that you (apparently) just read:
All the diverse effects of legalizing recreational marijuana may not be clear for a number of years, but one consequence has become evident almost immediately: Pot has never been so cheap.
It seems the illegal market is not cheaper than the legal price.
Several things. First, the Washington Post charges to read their articles. Second, illegal pot is cheaper because of the loss of market share going to the more expensive legal market. Just think about it for a second, who is going to pay more for illegal product? No one.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

LuckyR wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 12:33 pm Illegal pot is cheaper because of the loss of market share going to the more expensive legal market. Just think about it for a second, who is going to pay more for illegal product? No one.

Not being American, I'm not aware of street prices over there, nor of how the commerce splits between legal and illegal suppliers. I only responded with the view of a traditionally reliable American newspaper.

Oh, but people in some places where cannabis was legalised preferred to stay with illegal product because the 'official' stuff was not as good. [N.B. From memory only: hearsay.]
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Pattern-chaser wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 12:59 pm
LuckyR wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 12:33 pm Illegal pot is cheaper because of the loss of market share going to the more expensive legal market. Just think about it for a second, who is going to pay more for illegal product? No one.

Not being American, I'm not aware of street prices over there, nor of how the commerce splits between legal and illegal suppliers. I only responded with the view of a traditionally reliable American newspaper.

Oh, but people in some places where cannabis was legalised preferred to stay with illegal product because the 'official' stuff was not as good. [N.B. From memory only: hearsay.]
Trust me, huge controversy here in Oregon ($1.1 billion in legal sales in 2020) because of a change in the law diverting funds from local municipalities to drug addiction programs. The cities are thinking of additional taxes making up for it and the serious concern price will force folks to the cheaper illegal market.

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream