Marijuana Legalization Affects on Cost of Marijuana [Split from Does Society Need Prisons?]

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
User avatar
LuckyR
Moderator
Posts: 5904
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 1:16 am

Marijuana Legalization Affects on Cost of Marijuana [Split from Does Society Need Prisons?]

Post by LuckyR »

Pattern-chaser wrote: March 30th, 2021, 12:31 pm
LuckyR wrote: March 30th, 2021, 2:32 am "ending" the drug war isn't good enough, since it would depend on what the new situation is. Make drug use a misdemeanor? Make it legal to use but illegal to sell large amounts? Legal to sell but illegal to mak? There are numerous ways to go. Some would keep the big money people intact and money begets violence.
I'm surprised that an American doesn't take up the Capitalist viewpoint: the state - or a licensed commercial representative - could produce and sell quality-controlled drugs, and they could and would generate profit, and tax revenue too. That assumes full decriminalisation of all drugs, of course - a policy that has delivered some significant successes in Portugal, and (I think) other countries too.

Once all drugs were legal, the formerly-illegal drugs trade would no longer be profitable. It justifies its prices because the traders in drugs take the risk of discovery and imprisonment. Legal drugs could be sold for half (?) the current price, with working quality-control and consistency, and still deliver a worthwhile profit... 🤔 And no obvious connection to violence either... 🤔
As you know I wasn't commenting on my preference for what the post Drug War situation should look like.

I have posted in other threads that I do not support making all medications available to the public. Though I feel that the marijuana experience shows that the dispensary costs can exceed the street price (but that many but not all consumers choose to pay the higher price to stay legal).
"As usual... it depends."
GE Morton
Posts: 2788
Joined: February 1st, 2017, 1:06 am

Re: Does Society Need Prisons?

Post by GE Morton »

LuckyR wrote: March 30th, 2021, 5:50 pm Though I feel that the marijuana experience shows that the dispensary costs can exceed the street price (but that many but not all consumers choose to pay the higher price to stay legal).
The reason legal marijuana is expensive is because the State slaps a confiscatory tax on those vendors. Pols are always looking for new sources of revenue so they can deliver more free lunches to clamoring constituents.
User avatar
LuckyR
Moderator
Posts: 5904
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 1:16 am

Re: Does Society Need Prisons?

Post by LuckyR »

GE Morton wrote: March 30th, 2021, 8:43 pm
LuckyR wrote: March 30th, 2021, 5:50 pm Though I feel that the marijuana experience shows that the dispensary costs can exceed the street price (but that many but not all consumers choose to pay the higher price to stay legal).
The reason legal marijuana is expensive is because the State slaps a confiscatory tax on those vendors. Pols are always looking for new sources of revenue so they can deliver more free lunches to clamoring constituents.
Sure everyone knows the reason, but my point is it is a fallacy to propose that legal equals cheap.
"As usual... it depends."
User avatar
Sculptor1
Posts: 4508
Joined: May 16th, 2019, 5:35 am

Re: Does Society Need Prisons?

Post by Sculptor1 »

LuckyR wrote: March 30th, 2021, 9:03 pm
GE Morton wrote: March 30th, 2021, 8:43 pm
LuckyR wrote: March 30th, 2021, 5:50 pm Though I feel that the marijuana experience shows that the dispensary costs can exceed the street price (but that many but not all consumers choose to pay the higher price to stay legal).
The reason legal marijuana is expensive is because the State slaps a confiscatory tax on those vendors. Pols are always looking for new sources of revenue so they can deliver more free lunches to clamoring constituents.
Sure everyone knows the reason, but my point is it is a fallacy to propose that legal equals cheap.

I assume you are allowed to grow your own where buying is legal?
User avatar
LuckyR
Moderator
Posts: 5904
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 1:16 am

Re: Does Society Need Prisons?

Post by LuckyR »

Sculptor1 wrote: April 1st, 2021, 3:43 pm
LuckyR wrote: March 30th, 2021, 9:03 pm
GE Morton wrote: March 30th, 2021, 8:43 pm
LuckyR wrote: March 30th, 2021, 5:50 pm Though I feel that the marijuana experience shows that the dispensary costs can exceed the street price (but that many but not all consumers choose to pay the higher price to stay legal).
The reason legal marijuana is expensive is because the State slaps a confiscatory tax on those vendors. Pols are always looking for new sources of revenue so they can deliver more free lunches to clamoring constituents.
Sure everyone knows the reason, but my point is it is a fallacy to propose that legal equals cheap.

I assume you are allowed to grow your own where buying is legal?
You can have 4 plants, but you can't sell so it doesn't impact retail pricing.
"As usual... it depends."
User avatar
Pattern-chaser
Posts: 3099
Joined: September 22nd, 2019, 5:17 am
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus
Location: England

Re: Does Society Need Prisons?

Post by Pattern-chaser »

LuckyR wrote: March 30th, 2021, 5:50 pm I have posted in other threads that I do not support making all medications available to the public. Though I feel that the marijuana experience shows that the dispensary costs can exceed the street price (but that many but not all consumers choose to pay the higher price to stay legal).
How legalization caused the price of marijuana to collapse - The Washington Post
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
User avatar
Sculptor1
Posts: 4508
Joined: May 16th, 2019, 5:35 am

Re: Does Society Need Prisons?

Post by Sculptor1 »

LuckyR wrote: April 1st, 2021, 4:48 pm
Sculptor1 wrote: April 1st, 2021, 3:43 pm
LuckyR wrote: March 30th, 2021, 9:03 pm
GE Morton wrote: March 30th, 2021, 8:43 pm

The reason legal marijuana is expensive is because the State slaps a confiscatory tax on those vendors. Pols are always looking for new sources of revenue so they can deliver more free lunches to clamoring constituents.
Sure everyone knows the reason, but my point is it is a fallacy to propose that legal equals cheap.
I assume you are allowed to grow your own where buying is legal?
You can have 4 plants, but you can't sell so it doesn't impact retail pricing.

If everyone had four plants, then the market would die completely
But if no one were allowed to grow without a licence, that would make it a sellers market.

SO I disagree that it has no impact.
User avatar
LuckyR
Moderator
Posts: 5904
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 1:16 am

Re: Does Society Need Prisons?

Post by LuckyR »

Sculptor1 wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 12:18 pm
LuckyR wrote: April 1st, 2021, 4:48 pm
Sculptor1 wrote: April 1st, 2021, 3:43 pm
LuckyR wrote: March 30th, 2021, 9:03 pm

Sure everyone knows the reason, but my point is it is a fallacy to propose that legal equals cheap.
I assume you are allowed to grow your own where buying is legal?
You can have 4 plants, but you can't sell so it doesn't impact retail pricing.

If everyone had four plants, then the market would die completely
But if no one were allowed to grow without a licence, that would make it a sellers market.

SO I disagree that it has no impact.
Huh? No one is allowed to sell without a license, so how is that a seller's market?
"As usual... it depends."
User avatar
LuckyR
Moderator
Posts: 5904
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 1:16 am

Re: Does Society Need Prisons?

Post by LuckyR »

Pattern-chaser wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 7:13 am
LuckyR wrote: March 30th, 2021, 5:50 pm I have posted in other threads that I do not support making all medications available to the public. Though I feel that the marijuana experience shows that the dispensary costs can exceed the street price (but that many but not all consumers choose to pay the higher price to stay legal).
How legalization caused the price of marijuana to collapse - The Washington Post
Exactly, the illégal market is cheaper than the legal price.
"As usual... it depends."
User avatar
Sculptor1
Posts: 4508
Joined: May 16th, 2019, 5:35 am

Re: Does Society Need Prisons?

Post by Sculptor1 »

LuckyR wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 2:13 am
Sculptor1 wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 12:18 pm
LuckyR wrote: April 1st, 2021, 4:48 pm
Sculptor1 wrote: April 1st, 2021, 3:43 pm

I assume you are allowed to grow your own where buying is legal?
You can have 4 plants, but you can't sell so it doesn't impact retail pricing.

If everyone had four plants, then the market would die completely
But if no one were allowed to grow without a licence, that would make it a sellers market.

SO I disagree that it has no impact.
Huh? No one is allowed to sell without a license, so how is that a seller's market?
If you can grow your own you do not buy. Equals no market at all.

If you cannot grow your own, then you have no choice but to buy or go without. That is a sellers market.

Did you misread what I said?
User avatar
Sculptor1
Posts: 4508
Joined: May 16th, 2019, 5:35 am

Re: Does Society Need Prisons?

Post by Sculptor1 »

LuckyR wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 2:14 am
Pattern-chaser wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 7:13 am
LuckyR wrote: March 30th, 2021, 5:50 pm I have posted in other threads that I do not support making all medications available to the public. Though I feel that the marijuana experience shows that the dispensary costs can exceed the street price (but that many but not all consumers choose to pay the higher price to stay legal).
How legalization caused the price of marijuana to collapse - The Washington Post
Exactly, the illégal market is cheaper than the legal price.
ALL pot is cheaper, though. Legalisation made it so.
Criminalising the market makes it very expensive.
illegal dope in a legal market is cheap.
All dope in an illegal market is expensive.
User avatar
Pattern-chaser
Posts: 3099
Joined: September 22nd, 2019, 5:17 am
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus
Location: England

Re: Does Society Need Prisons?

Post by Pattern-chaser »

LuckyR wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 2:14 am
Pattern-chaser wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 7:13 am
LuckyR wrote: March 30th, 2021, 5:50 pm I have posted in other threads that I do not support making all medications available to the public. Though I feel that the marijuana experience shows that the dispensary costs can exceed the street price (but that many but not all consumers choose to pay the higher price to stay legal).
How legalization caused the price of marijuana to collapse - The Washington Post
Exactly, the illegal market is cheaper than the legal price.

Huh? From the article I linked, that you (apparently) just read:
All the diverse effects of legalizing recreational marijuana may not be clear for a number of years, but one consequence has become evident almost immediately: Pot has never been so cheap.
It seems the illegal market is not cheaper than the legal price.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
User avatar
LuckyR
Moderator
Posts: 5904
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 1:16 am

Re: Does Society Need Prisons?

Post by LuckyR »

Pattern-chaser wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 7:57 am
LuckyR wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 2:14 am
Pattern-chaser wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 7:13 am
LuckyR wrote: March 30th, 2021, 5:50 pm I have posted in other threads that I do not support making all medications available to the public. Though I feel that the marijuana experience shows that the dispensary costs can exceed the street price (but that many but not all consumers choose to pay the higher price to stay legal).
How legalization caused the price of marijuana to collapse - The Washington Post
Exactly, the illegal market is cheaper than the legal price.

Huh? From the article I linked, that you (apparently) just read:
All the diverse effects of legalizing recreational marijuana may not be clear for a number of years, but one consequence has become evident almost immediately: Pot has never been so cheap.
It seems the illegal market is not cheaper than the legal price.
Several things. First, the Washington Post charges to read their articles. Second, illegal pot is cheaper because of the loss of market share going to the more expensive legal market. Just think about it for a second, who is going to pay more for illegal product? No one.
"As usual... it depends."
User avatar
Pattern-chaser
Posts: 3099
Joined: September 22nd, 2019, 5:17 am
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus
Location: England

Re: Does Society Need Prisons?

Post by Pattern-chaser »

LuckyR wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 12:33 pm Illegal pot is cheaper because of the loss of market share going to the more expensive legal market. Just think about it for a second, who is going to pay more for illegal product? No one.

Not being American, I'm not aware of street prices over there, nor of how the commerce splits between legal and illegal suppliers. I only responded with the view of a traditionally reliable American newspaper.

Oh, but people in some places where cannabis was legalised preferred to stay with illegal product because the 'official' stuff was not as good. [N.B. From memory only: hearsay.]
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
User avatar
LuckyR
Moderator
Posts: 5904
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 1:16 am

Re: Does Society Need Prisons?

Post by LuckyR »

Pattern-chaser wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 12:59 pm
LuckyR wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 12:33 pm Illegal pot is cheaper because of the loss of market share going to the more expensive legal market. Just think about it for a second, who is going to pay more for illegal product? No one.

Not being American, I'm not aware of street prices over there, nor of how the commerce splits between legal and illegal suppliers. I only responded with the view of a traditionally reliable American newspaper.

Oh, but people in some places where cannabis was legalised preferred to stay with illegal product because the 'official' stuff was not as good. [N.B. From memory only: hearsay.]
Trust me, huge controversy here in Oregon ($1.1 billion in legal sales in 2020) because of a change in the law diverting funds from local municipalities to drug addiction programs. The cities are thinking of additional taxes making up for it and the serious concern price will force folks to the cheaper illegal market.
"As usual... it depends."
Post Reply

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

Upcoming Philosphy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

Living in Color

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Previous Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
by Dr Frank L Douglas
August 2021

If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your Buts

If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your Buts
by Mark L. Wdowiak
September 2021

The Preppers Medical Handbook

The Preppers Medical Handbook
by Dr. William W Forgey M.D.
October 2021

Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide

Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
by Dr. Gustavo Kinrys, MD
November 2021

Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir

Dream For Peace
by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah
December 2021