Who do you want to have access to significantly more powerful guns and weaponry: cops or citizens?

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me

Who do you want to have access to significantly more powerful guns and weaponry: cops or citizens?

Equality: I want citizens to have the same access to guns as cops under the same general conditions for each (e.g. similar safety training, background checks, minimum age requirements, etc.)
33%
Cops Armed; Citizens Disarmed: I want cops and government agents to have access to more powerful guns than similarly trained and similarly qualified citizens.
67%
Cops Disarmed; Citizens Armed: I want trained citizens to have have access to more powerful guns than similarly trained cops.
No votes

Total votes: 3

Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Philosopher: Diogenes the Cynic

Re: Who do you want to have access to significantly more powerful guns and weaponry: cops or citizens?

Post by Scott »

Scott wrote: If you want it so either (or both) groups are not able to have any guns at all, not even a 17th century musket, then please use the integer 0 to represent that in your calculation.
Sculptor1 wrote: April 16th, 2021, 5:59 pm B does not exist. So nothing you show makes sense.
In that case, you will want to use the integer 0 for B.
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
LuckyR

Re: Who do you want to have access to significantly more powerful guns and weaponry: cops or citizens?

Post by LuckyR »

Sculptor1 wrote: April 16th, 2021, 4:32 pm
LuckyR wrote: April 16th, 2021, 3:23 pm
Sculptor1 wrote: April 16th, 2021, 12:38 pm
LuckyR wrote: April 16th, 2021, 11:24 am

So day to day only criminals have guns.
You do know what even criminals are citizens?
DUH
You do know that criminals don't follow laws, by definition, DUH?
Citizens, even criminals have few guns in countries where they are illegal; as they do not need them to protect themselves against the police.
Generally people would rather not carry guns.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... ntries.png
Yes there are countries where guns are rare. If you take a country were guns are extremely common, then make them illegal, law abiding citizens will no longer have guns and criminals will have a similar amount of guns as they had before (without buying a single gun).
"As usual... it depends."
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Scott wrote: April 16th, 2021, 7:48 pm
Scott wrote: If you want it so either (or both) groups are not able to have any guns at all, not even a 17th century musket, then please use the integer 0 to represent that in your calculation.
Sculptor1 wrote: April 16th, 2021, 5:59 pm B does not exist. So nothing you show makes sense.
In that case, you will want to use the integer 0 for B.
Headslap.
You are an example of the tyrrany of polls.
"When did you stop beating your wife?"
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

LuckyR wrote: April 17th, 2021, 1:39 am
Sculptor1 wrote: April 16th, 2021, 12:38 pm

You do know what even criminals are citizens?
DUH
Citizens, even criminals have few guns in countries where they are illegal; as they do not need them to protect themselves against the police.
Yes there are countries where guns are rare. If you take a country were guns are extremely common, then make them illegal, law abiding citizens will no longer have guns and criminals will have a similar amount of guns as they had before (without buying a single gun).
Again, so what?
Maybe we coulds start with a licensing sceme, prohibited to criminals, with very stiff sentences for possession without a licence. It works for cars.
How about an amnesty for people wanting to get rid of their guns.
How about the death penalty for possession? That might make criminals think twice?
Or you could do nothing, and continue to see people die in epidemic numbers.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Sculptor1 wrote: April 17th, 2021, 7:31 am

Again, so what?
Maybe we coulds start with a licensing sceme, prohibited to criminals, with very stiff sentences for possession without a licence. It works for cars.
How about the death penalty for possession? That might make criminals think twice?
False choice. But by being forced to propose ridiculous options, you are proving my point that there aren't practical paths from where the US is to where you are proposing it going. I agree with you on the goal and the frustration of the situation, but there you have it.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

LuckyR wrote: April 17th, 2021, 12:51 pm

Again, so what?
False choice. But by being forced to propose ridiculous options, you are proving my point that there aren't practical paths from where the US is to where you are proposing it going.
If you can get hysterical then so can I. You do not expect me to take you seriously after your comments above do you?
I agree with you on the goal and the frustration of the situation, but there you have it.
The last horror was a kid who'd been identified as having some mental difficulties earlier this year before he took out his frustration on a FedEx depot.
It seems that anyone can easily get hold of a gun.
More children die of accidental gunshots in the US in one year than the total number of gun deaths in five years in the UK.
But who cares? If people are just going to reject any attempt to restrict guns then they are going to have to accept the 20,000 people that have died this year already.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Sculptor1 wrote: April 17th, 2021, 2:10 pm
LuckyR wrote: April 17th, 2021, 12:51 pm

Again, so what?
False choice. But by being forced to propose ridiculous options, you are proving my point that there aren't practical paths from where the US is to where you are proposing it going.
If you can get hysterical then so can I. You do not expect me to take you seriously after your comments above do you?
I agree with you on the goal and the frustration of the situation, but there you have it.
The last horror was a kid who'd been identified as having some mental difficulties earlier this year before he took out his frustration on a FedEx depot.
It seems that anyone can easily get hold of a gun.
More children die of accidental gunshots in the US in one year than the total number of gun deaths in five years in the UK.
But who cares? If people are just going to reject any attempt to restrict guns then they are going to have to accept the 20,000 people that have died this year already.
Sounds like you're confusing my pointing out the difficulties in implementing your plan with rejection of your goal. I'm on your team, we're debating how to get there.

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream