Who do you want to have access to significantly more powerful guns and weaponry: cops or citizens?

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me

Who do you want to have access to significantly more powerful guns and weaponry: cops or citizens?

Equality: I want citizens to have the same access to guns as cops under the same general conditions for each (e.g. similar safety training, background checks, minimum age requirements, etc.)
47%
Cops Armed; Citizens Disarmed: I want cops and government agents to have access to more powerful guns than similarly trained and similarly qualified citizens.
41%
Cops Disarmed; Citizens Armed: I want trained citizens to have have access to more powerful guns than similarly trained cops.
12%

Total votes: 17

Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

Recently, Daunte Wright was added to a list of names that include, among many others, Eric Garner, Michael Brown, Tamir Rice, Ronell Foster, Walter Scott, Willie McCoy, Alton Sterling, Philando Castile, Stephon Clark, Breonna Taylor, and George Floyd.

One police officer named Ryan McMahon shot and killed two of the people on the above list, about one year apart. McMahon wasn't criminally charged with either killing, but after the second killing he was fired for "engaging in unsafe conduct and neglect for basic firearm safety" (source).

Even an unarmed pacifist can be shot to death by police, especially considered the majority of inmates in the United States are only charged with nonviolent crimes, such as marijuana possession, consensual adult prostitution, or pacifistic tax protesting.

Dr. Martin Luther King was arrested 29 times. Dr. King was a repeat criminal. One could even argue that Dr. Martin Luther King was a career criminal.

Arnold Abbott was repeatedly arrested for illegally feeding the homeless. Had Arnold Abbott not been elderly and white, or had he been more willing and able to run away when the police came to nab him for illegally feeding the homeless, perhaps he would have been shot during his arrest.

Of course, one does not need to even commit a crime to to be stopped by police and potentially shot to death. For instance, merely the alleged smell of marijuana is enough of a legal basis to forceably detain a suspect with probable cause, an altercation can quickly turn deadly for even an unarmed innocent suspect.

I absolutely don't mean to pick on police. If I have a problem with police at all, it is simply that they are human. If I even have a problem, my problem isn't with police but rather with humans. For more on the that, you can read my topic Man is Not Fit to Govern Man, or my first reply in the topic Covid and Flu highlight the difficulty of placing an economic value on human lives. The tl;dr is this: Humans are irrational. Humans also all tend to display varying degrees of selfishness and addiction. I believe no human is perfectly unselfish, and I believe every human is on the addiction spectrum. Money and power are especially enticing addictions. Some would say money and power corrupt, but I think that gives too much credit to the natural state of humans, in that a selfish power-hungry money-addicted human is not corrupted but totally normal and uncorrupted, and that's okay. As with anything, it is what it is. A government that violently robs the hard working taxpayers by the millions, billions, or trillions to sneak money into the hands of wealthy special interests is not corrupted; it is doing what governments always do, and always have done for thousands of years. It is what it is.

I have no strong opinions about gun control, for a few reasons, which include:

1. The word 'guns' is very vague. My opinion regarding someone with a functioning 18th century musket is very different than my opinion regarding someone having a rocket launcher with a mini-nuke capable of blowing up an entire football stadium. One benchmark I would recommend using to measure and contrast the danger of various kinds of guns or other weapons would be to statistically compare each to the danger of the average car, a process that could easily be delegated to private insurance companies that can nail it down so well that the color of a car might affect your liability insurance by a few dollars per month one way or the other. If I had to bet, I would bet pink guns would be statistically the safest color of guns. Humans are an interesting bunch, indeed.

2. I am much more interested in the fairness and equality of gun laws than what the laws happen to be in a given town, state, or country. For very cliché instance, when the Nazis gained power in Germany they systemically disarmed Jewish people and certain other "unreliable" groups (source) but actually loosened gun laws for Nazi party members and the military. That kind of inequality is what would concern me the most. In this way, we can look at guns like we might look at anything such as marijuana, alcohol, cyanide, automobiles, access to voting, college educations, or bank accounts. We can look at it like we might look at Wall Street getting away with market manipulation and short squeezes but retailer investors getting unequal treatment if they organize a short squeeze, which surely wouldn't be fair.

3. When it comes to my mostly impotent support or opposition to any given law, I am less interested in what the law is and more interested in whether it represents (1) localism and the freedom that is self-government or (2) big expensive national, federal, or global governments that extremely centralize power over unimaginably vast lands into the hands of very few privileged rich humans via large-scale non-defensive violence. Such centralization hinders the choice and beautiful diversity that otherwise naturally emerge. For instance, if some small town government or condo community governing board bans marijuana or alcohol, I really don't care, and I don't see it as a noteworthy infringement of anyone's political freedom. But if a few millionaires or billionaires at the UN suddenly ban alcohol or marijuana across the entire Earth at the behest of some rich lobbyists, that would be extremely disturbing to me, regardless of whether the globally banned thing is alcohol or marijuana or public nudity or any number of countless things that a small local group of people might understandably ban at a very local level. If someone hates motorcycles or small pistols or loud noises after 10pm, I am more than happy for them to have the option of moving to a town that bans those things. If someone loves motorcycles or pistols or loud noises at night, I am more than happy for them to have the option to move to a town or state that allows those things. I'd be disappointed to see either banned across the whole Earth. Self-government is the antitheses of big expensive non-defensively violent national or global governments.

With that said, I feel that whatever the gun laws happen to be at any given local, state, national, federal, or global level, I strongly prefer that those gun laws are applied equally to citizens as well as police and other government agents in that jurisdiction.

I share the view of the vast majority of the respondents to my recent totally unscientific Twitter poll about distrusting the government. Namely, I don't find humans trustworthy in general, but I have even less trust for big governments like the U.S. federal government. Humans have their problems individually, but mobs of humans are even worse.

The U.S. federal budget for the 2020 fiscal year was set at $4.79 trillion. Humans tend to be irrational and selfish even when those traits aren't being fertilized by $4.79 trillion dollars of taxpayer money taken from taxpayers at the threat of violence, but with that $4.79 trillion dollar fertilization I cannot even imagine the level of self-serving shady tyranny happening in the dealings between the various millionaires and billionaires in Washington, including not only the many millionaires in Congress but the paid lobbyists and corporate cronies. Humans are worse around money than cats around catnip.
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Alias
Favorite Philosopher: Terry Pratchett

Re: Who do you want to have access to significantly more powerful guns and weaponry: cops or citizens?

Post by Alias »

How does the equation become limited to police and citizenry? Where are the criminals? Significantly, the organized, mechanized, heavily armed drug-, gun-, organ- and migrant- runners.
How about setting up a cops vs criminals situation, where the law-abiding citizens are unarmed but respected and protected by the police?
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Re: Who do you want to have access to significantly more powerful guns and weaponry: cops or citizens?

Alias wrote: April 13th, 2021, 11:05 pm How does the equation become limited to police and citizenry? Where are the criminals?
You are welcome to start a new topic with your own different poll question.

Regarding the question asked in the poll for this topic, what is your answer?

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Alias

Post by Alias »

My only possible answer is: NOTA
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

This question can be looked at many ways. It could be viewed as a "wish", that is to pretend that we have a magic wand that could get rid of currently owned guns without a fight. Or it could be looked at as a legislative plan with unknown ability to be implemented.

You bring up police murders of black men, great subject matter but arming citizens more (to match the guns of the police) contributes nothing to solve that problem.

Perhaps you are trying to ask, whom do you trust more with plain guns: citizens or the police? Another question might be whom do you trust with automatic weapons: citizens or the police?

For me personally, if the vast majority of guns could be removed from the citizenry magically, the citizenry would suffer fewer accidents, fatal suicides and murders. However, I also think there is no practical way of achieving that goal. As to regular guns, I am mistrustful of both citizens and the police. In the special case of assault type weapons, I trust the police much more than citizens, and statistics bears that out. None of the victims you named were killed by an assault type weapon carried by police, whereas numerous citizens and police have been shot by AR15 type weapons carried by citizens.
"As usual... it depends."
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

I would vote for cops have less, AND the public having much less.
There seems to be no category in your poll for that.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Alias wrote: April 14th, 2021, 12:16 am My only possible answer is: NOTA
Your answer seems to me to violate mathematical law.

If A is the powerfulness of the guns/weaponry allowed to cops, and B is the powerfulness of the guns/weaponry allowed to equally trained and qualified citizens, then logically one of the following three things must be true:

A = B

A > B

A < B

Right?

LuckyR wrote: April 14th, 2021, 12:45 am Perhaps you are trying to ask, [1]whom do you trust more with plain guns: citizens or the police? Another question might be [2] whom do you trust with automatic weapons: citizens or the police?
Those two questions could probably be broken down into the simpler (albeit vaguer) question, [3] who do you trust more: citizens or the police?

However, none of those three questions are the question I'm trying to ask. The question I am asking is the one I asked, which is: Who do you want to have access to significantly more powerful guns and weaponry: cops or citizens?

If imagining you have a magic wand helps give meaning to the word "want" and the concept of desire for you, then please feel free to imagine such when answering the question.

Regarding the three other questions about trust, I asked a very similar question via this poll on Twitter.

Sculptor1 wrote: April 14th, 2021, 12:59 pm I would vote for cops have less, AND the public having much less.
Assuming in your post above "less" means more than "much less", then you will want to choose the middle option in the poll, which says in part, "I want cops and government agents to have access to more powerful guns than similarly trained and similarly qualified citizens."

Alias

Post by Alias »

Scott wrote: April 14th, 2021, 4:11 pm [A: My only possible answer is: NOTA]
Your answer seems to me to violate mathematical law.
I didn't realize that voting one's preference was subject to mathematical laws.
If A is the powerfulness of the guns/weaponry allowed to cops, and B is the powerfulness of the guns/weaponry allowed to equally trained and qualified citizens,
Hold it! Where in mathematics or law is it guaranteed that citizens with access to guns are qualified and trained as well as cops? And that's assuming the cops are adequately trained and psych-vetted in the first place.
then logically one of the following three things must be true:

A = B

A > B

A < B

Right?
If the equation had not been incomplete to begin with, right - but not binding. However, in the circumstance where at least one major element - organized crime - was left out , None of the Above seemed the only valid vote available.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Alias wrote: April 14th, 2021, 5:15 pm
Scott wrote: April 14th, 2021, 4:11 pmIf A is the powerfulness of the guns/weaponry allowed to cops, and B is the powerfulness of the guns/weaponry allowed to equally trained and qualified citizens, then logically one of the following three things must be true:

A = B

A > B

A < B

Right?
If the equation had not been incomplete to begin with, right - but not binding. However, in the circumstance where at least one major element - organized crime - was left out , None of the Above seemed the only valid vote available.
The claim that somehow not considering (C) 'organized crime' would change what I have written above about A and B seems to therefore commit a fallacy related to or similar to ignoring the law of the excluded middle.

In analogy, it would be like I asked if the number of birds is (1) greater than, (2) equal to, or (3) less than the number of giraffes, and then you claimed that the answer is none of those three--which is a logical impossibility--because I didn't ask about (C) bananas and thus allegedly my question is "incomplete" because it leaves out (C) bananas.

You may have many opinions about (C) bananas, and (C) bananas may be worthy of discussion, but C in no way limits the logical requirement that mathematically one of the following must be true:

A = B

A > B

A < B

The exhaustivity of the above three options is true regardless of what C is.

Alias

Post by Alias »

Scott wrote: April 14th, 2021, 6:06 pm The claim that somehow not considering (C) 'organized crime' would change what I have written above about A and B seems to therefore commit a fallacy related to or similar to ignoring the law of the excluded middle.
What you have written is complete and perfect as it stands.
I just can't vote on it.
Those who can induce you to believe absurdities can induce you to commit atrocities. - Voltaire
Dogday33
New Trial Member

Post by Dogday33 »

Honestly neither. A highly militarized police force is not the solution and neither full access to guns for private citizens. I truly believe the issues that we are facing need solutions that we never had to explore previously in our history. There are gaps in our evolution and we are not facing the deadly reality.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Scott wrote: April 14th, 2021, 4:11 pm
LuckyR wrote: April 14th, 2021, 12:45 am Perhaps you are trying to ask, [1]whom do you trust more with plain guns: citizens or the police? Another question might be [2] whom do you trust with automatic weapons: citizens or the police?
Those two questions could probably be broken down into the simpler (albeit vaguer) question, [3] who do you trust more: citizens or the police?

However, none of those three questions are the question I'm trying to ask. The question I am asking is the one I asked, which is: Who do you want to have access to significantly more powerful guns and weaponry: cops or citizens?

If imagining you have a magic wand helps give meaning to the word "want" and the concept of desire for you, then please feel free to imagine such when answering the question.

Regarding the three other questions about trust, I asked a very similar question via this poll on Twitter.
Well, you were the one who brought up the relative power of guns. Automatic vs semi-auto is a description of power, probably the most important one. Thus as I answered originally, I trust the police more than citizens with military style guns. My reasoning has already been stated.
QuestionAll+Nothing

Post by QuestionAll+Nothing »

I think the best way to answer this question is. Will you ever know who actually has or owns the more powerful and more accessible weapon and if so, who really will determined which one is more powerful or accessible. All guns can be manipulated by the citizens to become more powerful and accessible. Cops technically, have to use what is issued to them without being able to be modified or manipulating the weapon. So citizen already do have more powerful weapons and accessibility to weapons. So the concept of want can not be applied because cops technically have to follow policy and law. Citizens are more free to do what your asking by obeying the law and breaking the law option without policy governing entities.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

QuestionAll+Nothing wrote: April 14th, 2021, 8:57 pm I think the best way to answer this question is. Will you ever know who actually has or owns the more powerful and more accessible weapon and if so, who really will determined which one is more powerful or accessible. All guns can be manipulated by the citizens to become more powerful and accessible. Cops technically, have to use what is issued to them without being able to be modified or manipulating the weapon. So citizen already do have more powerful weapons and accessibility to weapons. So the concept of want can not be applied because cops technically have to follow policy and law. Citizens are more free to do what your asking by obeying the law and breaking the law option without policy governing entities.
You bring up a good point: does "citizen" mean criminal or law abiding citizen?
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Scott wrote: April 14th, 2021, 4:11 pm
Sculptor1 wrote: April 14th, 2021, 12:59 pm I would vote for cops have less, AND the public having much less.
Assuming in your post above "less" means more than "much less", then you will want to choose the middle option in the poll, which says in part, "I want cops and government agents to have access to more powerful guns than similarly trained and similarly qualified citizens."
No this simply does not equate with my position in any sense, since this implies that police and citizens have some guns.

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream