Is taxation by big non-local governments violent robbery?

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
Belindi

Re: Is taxation by big non-local governments violent robbery?

Post by Belindi »

There is an interface between taxation by big governments and violent robbery. However the disconnect between taxation by big governments and violent robbery is greater.
d3r31nz1g3

Post by d3r31nz1g3 »

No, taxation is extortion. Point remains the same though.

Everything is wrong when it comes to taxation. Money is skimmed from the worker's wage which de-incentivizes purchasing and thus hurts the economy. Sales tax makes every single thing you buy more expensive which further de-incentivizes transactions.

It's an economic parasite and no other market entity operates with such a monetization policy.

In a world of big corporations, industry, and international trade why is government still funding themselves through taxation? Can they not conjure a superior method of money-raising? Why doesn't industry itself simply directly fund "government functions"? Certainly, if industry did, they would invent methods of monetization to supplement what they're forced to spend on social control.
d3r31nz1g3

Post by d3r31nz1g3 »

I can't figure out how to edit my post so I'll make the following correction:

*disincentivize
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

d3r31nz1g3 wrote: November 19th, 2022, 12:42 pm No, taxation is extortion. Point remains the same though.

Everything is wrong when it comes to taxation. Money is skimmed from the worker's wage which de-incentivizes purchasing and thus hurts the economy. Sales tax makes every single thing you buy more expensive which further de-incentivizes transactions.

It's an economic parasite and no other market entity operates with such a monetization policy.

In a world of big corporations, industry, and international trade why is government still funding themselves through taxation? Can they not conjure a superior method of money-raising? Why doesn't industry itself simply directly fund "government functions"? Certainly, if industry did, they would invent methods of monetization to supplement what they're forced to spend on social control.
Oh, you're expecting corporations who hire the best legal minds available to figure out ways of weaseling out of paying for anything to step up and take on the lion's share of government expenditures? Did the turnip truck pass by here recently?
"As usual... it depends."
d3r31nz1g3

Post by d3r31nz1g3 »

LuckyR wrote: November 20th, 2022, 3:11 am
d3r31nz1g3 wrote: November 19th, 2022, 12:42 pm No, taxation is extortion. Point remains the same though.

Oh, you're expecting corporations who hire the best legal minds available to figure out ways of weaseling out of paying for anything to step up and take on the lion's share of government expenditures? Did the turnip truck pass by here recently?
I believe true free markets to be naturally self-balancing. Powerful unions and civilian organizations would pressure industry to directly fund social services. Industry in their natural inclination to weasel out of paying for it would come up with the most effective monetization policies. This would be good because it would build more wealth and cause less expenditure. Everything would ultimately work in the interest of all.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

Hi, Gertie,

Thank you for your reply! :)

Scott wrote: May 5th, 2021, 6:22 pm With those important clarifications in mind, do you agree that taxation by big non-local governments is violent robbery?

If not, please specify which of the following statements are the ones with which you disagree and which are the ones with which you agree:

1. Taxation is non-consensual.

2. Taxation is violent.

3. If a pacifist with children in the USA making slightly below the median income in the USA refuses to pay taxes to the federal USA government, armed agents will go with guns to the pacifist's house, forcefully break down the door if needed, and put the pacifist in prison.

4. Taxation predates the invention of paper money.

5. The suppliers and/or owners of a currency can fund their organization and services without taxes and without non-defensive violence simply by printing more of the currency and keeping the extra for themselves.

Gertie wrote: October 22nd, 2022, 9:39 am No-one has ever created the society they are born into. We all have to adopt and adapt to what exists [...]
Correct me if I am mistaken, but you did not answer the primary yes/no question from the Original Post (OP): do you agree that taxation by big non-local governments is violent robbery?

And, if not, which of the 5 numbered statements from the Original Post (OP), do you disagree with?
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Hi, Belindi,

Scott wrote: May 5th, 2021, 6:22 pm With those important clarifications in mind, do you agree that taxation by big non-local governments is violent robbery?

If not, please specify which of the following statements are the ones with which you disagree and which are the ones with which you agree:

2. Taxation is violent.

3. If a pacifist with children in the USA making slightly below the median income in the USA refuses to pay taxes to the federal USA government, armed agents will go with guns to the pacifist's house, forcefully break down the door if needed, and put the pacifist in prison.

5. The suppliers and/or owners of a currency can fund their organization and services without taxes and without non-defensive violence simply by printing more of the currency and keeping the extra for themselves.
Belindi wrote: October 22nd, 2022, 7:15 pm There is an interface between taxation by big governments and violent robbery. However the disconnect between taxation by big governments and violent robbery is greater.
What disconnect? What is the alleged difference between (A) taxation by big governments versus (B) violent robbery?

Are you saying you disagree with one or more of the 5 numbered statements from the Original Post (OP)? If so, which of the 5 numbered statements are the one(s) with which you disagree?

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Hi, LuckyR,

Thank you for your participation in this thread.

I may be misremembering since I originally started this thread nearly 2 years ago, but I don't recall you ever answering the question in the Original Post (OP):

2. Taxation is violent.

To be clear, this topic is not about whether taxes are 'necessary', whatever that might mean, whether they are immoral or morally good, whatever that might mean, or whether they are subjectively desirable. In theory, it's possible for someone to acknowledge that taxes are violent robbery, but still think that violent robbery is necessary for some purpose, or that it is desirable or such.

[Emphasis added.]

LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Scott wrote: March 6th, 2023, 8:36 pm

Hi, LuckyR,

Thank you for your participation in this thread.

I may be misremembering since I originally started this thread nearly 2 years ago, but I don't recall you ever answering the question in the Original Post (OP):

2. Taxation is violent.

To be clear, this topic is not about whether taxes are 'necessary', whatever that might mean, whether they are immoral or morally good, whatever that might mean, or whether they are subjectively desirable. In theory, it's possible for someone to acknowledge that taxes are violent robbery, but still think that violent robbery is necessary for some purpose, or that it is desirable or such.

[Emphasis added.]
In order:

No, I do not agree that taxation is robbery, violent or otherwise. It is no more robbery than a merchant demanding payment for goods and services rendered, is "robbery".

1. Most agree with the concept of the consent of the governed, as put forth in the Declaration of Independence. Some hold out for unanimous consent. The latter would likely call taxation non consensual, though I disagree, as most do.

2. Taxation is no more "violent" than the supermarket. If you shoplift (don't pay for what you get) you may end up in jail. So if you find supermarkets to be "violent", then under that definition I would acknowledge that taxation is also "violent".

3. Being a pacifist, having children and income level are supposed to be immaterial to what happens to lawbreakers. Though I AGREE that choices (such as lawbreaking), have consequences.

4. I agree.

5. I agree that the government CAN use devaluing their currency instead of taxation, and I suppose they can decide to not punish lawbreakers, though most including myself would prefer not to reside where no laws are enforced because eliminating GOVERNMENTAL violence (meaning law enforcement by your definition) would lead to more TOTAL violence, in my opinion.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Hi, LuckyR,

Scott wrote: May 5th, 2021, 6:22 pm 1. Taxation is non-consensual.
LuckyR wrote: March 7th, 2023, 3:40 am 1. Most agree with the concept of the consent of the governed, as put forth in the Declaration of Independence. Some hold out for unanimous consent. The latter would likely call taxation non consensual, though I disagree, [...]
If taxation by big non-local government is consensual, then I agree it isn't violent robbery, since I think violent robbery is non-consensual by definition.

Since you think taxation by big non-local governments is consensual, please instead post in my other topic dedicated specifically to that topic:

Is taxation by big non-local governments non-consensual or consensual?

LuckyR wrote: March 7th, 2023, 3:40 am as most do
That seems like an ad populum fallacy, but, as moot of a point as I think it is, I also think it's untrue (i.e. it seems to me most people do not think taxation by big non-local government is consensual), based on the replies in my topic, Is taxation by big non-local governments non-consensual or consensual?

LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Scott wrote: March 7th, 2023, 3:17 pm Hi, LuckyR,

Scott wrote: May 5th, 2021, 6:22 pm 1. Taxation is non-consensual.
LuckyR wrote: March 7th, 2023, 3:40 am 1. Most agree with the concept of the consent of the governed, as put forth in the Declaration of Independence. Some hold out for unanimous consent. The latter would likely call taxation non consensual, though I disagree, [...]
If taxation by big non-local government is consensual, then I agree it isn't violent robbery, since I think violent robbery is non-consensual by definition.

Since you think taxation by big non-local governments is consensual, please instead post in my other topic dedicated specifically to that topic:

LuckyR wrote: March 7th, 2023, 3:40 am as most do
That seems like an ad populum fallacy, but, as moot of a point as I think it is, I also think it's untrue (i.e. it seems to me most people do not think taxation by big non-local government is consensual), based on the replies in my topic, Is taxation by big non-local governments non-consensual or consensual?
Actually I based my comment on the popularity of the agreement of citizens in the right of the government to tax them by the rarity of citizens who refuse to pay taxes citing lack of consent.

Of course, one might attempt to distract by stating that a large number of folks who pay taxes do so ONLY because of the threat of prison, but that they believe that the government does not have their consent to tax them. But if one buys that idea, one could also say that "most" people think murder is perfectly morally acceptable, but they don't run around murdering folks solely because they are scared of going to prison. Both are inaccurate on their faces.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

LuckyR wrote: March 7th, 2023, 3:40 am Some hold out for unanimous consent. The latter would likely call taxation non consensual, though I disagree, as most do.
Scott wrote: March 7th, 2023, 3:17 pm That seems like an ad populum fallacy, but, as moot of a point as I think it is, I also think it's untrue (i.e. it seems to me most people do not think taxation by big non-local government is consensual), based on the replies in my topic, Is taxation by big non-local governments non-consensual or consensual?
LuckyR wrote: March 7th, 2023, 6:14 pm Actually I based my comment on the popularity of the agreement of citizens in the right of the government to tax them by the rarity of citizens who refuse to pay taxes citing lack of consent.
I will reply to that argument about the alleged consensuality of taxes (which I consider utterly fallacious on its face) at:

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream