OMFG and FFFS!!! What don't people get about More Guns = More Death by Gunshot?

Chat about anything your heart desires here, just be civil. Factual or scientific questions about philosophy go here (e.g. "When was Socrates born?"), and so most homework help questions belong here. Note, posts in the off-topic section will not increase new members post counts. This includes the introductions and feedback sections.
Robert66

OMFG and FFFS!!! What don't people get about More Guns = More Death by Gunshot?

Post by Robert66 »

Go ahead, make my day.

I just can't get enough of people explaining why they must have guns, why more people should have guns (eg teachers, even school kids), how a well-armed society is a polite society, how people are all equally violent in potential, how there is nothing you can do about guns and gun death because freedom so why bother trying?, how the government is coming for you so be ready, why the second Amendment is sacred and why you can't argue with that (ie you can't make any further amendments!)

So please do enlighten me, because I don't see why the US wants to persist with what seems to be a batshit-crazy ballistic Hollywood Armageddon nightmare.
Gee

Re: OMFG and FFFS!!! What don't people get about More Guns = More Death by Gunshot?

Post by Gee »

Robert66 wrote: July 28th, 2021, 3:17 am Go ahead, make my day.

I just can't get enough of people explaining why they must have guns, why more people should have guns (eg teachers, even school kids), how a well-armed society is a polite society, how people are all equally violent in potential, how there is nothing you can do about guns and gun death because freedom so why bother trying?, how the government is coming for you so be ready, why the second Amendment is sacred and why you can't argue with that (ie you can't make any further amendments!)

So please do enlighten me, because I don't see why the US wants to persist with what seems to be a batshit-crazy ballistic Hollywood Armageddon nightmare.
I believe the thinking is that if George Floyd had had a gun, then his murderers would have at least paused before murdering him.

Gee
Robert66

Re: OMFG and FFFS!!! What don't people get about More Guns = More Death by Gunshot?

Post by Robert66 »

Gee wrote: July 28th, 2021, 11:35 am
I believe the thinking is that if George Floyd had had a gun, then his murderers would have at least paused before murdering him.
OK, well, now it all makes sense. Floyd should have gotten with the program and armed himself. Logically then he was partly to blame for his own death. How soon after birth should US citizens do the logical thing and arm themselves? And what advice should worried parents give their little ones as they strap on their holster ready for school?

"Remember, Junior, you just can't be sure if a cop won't kneel on your neck for nine minutes, so shoot first and don't worry everything will be fine. Have you brushed your teeth?"
Gee

Post by Gee »

Robert66 wrote: July 28th, 2021, 7:48 pm
Gee wrote: July 28th, 2021, 11:35 am I believe the thinking is that if George Floyd had had a gun, then his murderers would have at least paused before murdering him.
OK, well, now it all makes sense. Floyd should have gotten with the program and armed himself. Logically then he was partly to blame for his own death. How soon after birth should US citizens do the logical thing and arm themselves? And what advice should worried parents give their little ones as they strap on their holster ready for school?

"Remember, Junior, you just can't be sure if a cop won't kneel on your neck for nine minutes, so shoot first and don't worry everything will be fine. Have you brushed your teeth?"
I apologize. When you stated that you wished to be "enlightened", I took it to mean that you wanted to understand the problem. I was wrong. Apparently you just wanted to share your ignorance, to insult the US, and complain about the people.

Gee
Count Lucanor
Favorite Philosopher: Umberto Eco

Post by Count Lucanor »

It's a country with a mode of living sustained by permanently engaging in wars. Its government needs its citizens to love battle scenarios and firearms, so they have become an extension of their bodies, like cell phones. It must be tied to a telos of freedom and nationalism (you don't go out as a soldier to kill people or get killed, but to "serve your country"). It's also good for the business of gun manufacturers, a key component of the military-industrial complex. The rest of explanations and justifications are just ad hoc rationalizations.
The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Robert66

Post by Robert66 »

Gee wrote: July 28th, 2021, 9:35 pm
Robert66 wrote: July 28th, 2021, 7:48 pm
Gee wrote: July 28th, 2021, 11:35 am I believe the thinking is that if George Floyd had had a gun, then his murderers would have at least paused before murdering him.

I apologize. When you stated that you wished to be "enlightened", I took it to mean that you wanted to understand the problem. I was wrong. Apparently you just wanted to share your ignorance, to insult the US, and complain about the people.

Gee
I am the one who should apologise. I am sorry. From outside it does seem insane, but of course the vast majority of US citizens are normal, decent, peace lovers. But it seems to me you don't agree with "the thinking" you describe - thinking which would appear to be part of the US problem. And if people think having a gun isnecessary, even if it merely delays being murdered, it does seem like futile thinking. Is there more to it?
Robert66

Post by Robert66 »

Count Lucanor wrote: July 28th, 2021, 11:20 pm It's a country with a mode of living sustained by permanently engaging in wars. Its government needs its citizens to love battle scenarios and firearms, so they have become an extension of their bodies, like cell phones. It must be tied to a telos of freedom and nationalism (you don't go out as a soldier to kill people or get killed, but to "serve your country"). It's also good for the business of gun manufacturers, a key component of the military-industrial complex. The rest of explanations and justifications are just ad hoc rationalizations.
Thank you Count for a depressingly persuasive explanation.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Robert66 wrote: July 28th, 2021, 3:17 am Go ahead, make my day.

Well the US (like everywhere else) is not a monolith and things happen for numerous and sometimes seemingly conflicting reasons. Some random factoids: first there are so many guns in the American environment and they last so long, that there will be "too many" guns available even if gun sales stopped tomorrow and didn't resume for several hundred years. Secondly, more gun sales at this point doesn't necessarily add to the "problem" of guns since having a single gun owner have 5 vs 10 guns doesn't change the risk much. That is, everyone who wants to have a gun (which is a minority), already have one, so that same number of gun owners having two doesn't change risks much since you can only use one at a time.

The drumbeat against gun reform or gun control is multifactoral. Of course at the root of it is the gun manufacturers, very understandable. There are gun owners who hunt, shoot skeet, target shoot etc. There are just folks who don't like to be told what to do. Some don't even own guns but oppose regulations regardless.

Of course of the triad of gun damage: accidents, suicides and homicides, the vast majority of the first two happen among gun owners themselves, so that risk, like smoking is limited to users, bad, but less bad for society. Homicides are somewhat separate issue since that is performed exclusively by criminals, who are the subset of gun owners who will not give up their guns regardless of any law changes or regulations.
"As usual... it depends."
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

LuckyR wrote:Homicides are somewhat separate issue since that is performed exclusively by criminals, who are the subset of gun owners who will not give up their guns regardless of any law changes or regulations.
On this particular point, I've never bought the "if you outlaw guns then only the outlaws will have guns" argument. I think criminals, like everyone else, tend to do what they perceive to be in their own best interests, given the environment in which they live. i.e. they are rational actors to roughly the same extent that others are. So they tend to arm themselves to the extent that they think they need to be armed. In a society where general gun ownership, and gun use by the police, is rarer, gun ownership and use by criminals will naturally also tend to be rarer. The same principle applies to any type of weapon. If I lived in an environment in which I thought most people around me carried a knife I'd probably be more inclined to consider carrying a knife myself. This would be true regardless of whether or not I was a criminal.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Steve3007 wrote: July 29th, 2021, 5:29 am
LuckyR wrote:Homicides are somewhat separate issue since that is performed exclusively by criminals, who are the subset of gun owners who will not give up their guns regardless of any law changes or regulations.
On this particular point, I've never bought the "if you outlaw guns then only the outlaws will have guns" argument. I think criminals, like everyone else, tend to do what they perceive to be in their own best interests, given the environment in which they live. i.e. they are rational actors to roughly the same extent that others are. So they tend to arm themselves to the extent that they think they need to be armed. In a society where general gun ownership, and gun use by the police, is rarer, gun ownership and use by criminals will naturally also tend to be rarer. The same principle applies to any type of weapon. If I lived in an environment in which I thought most people around me carried a knife I'd probably be more inclined to consider carrying a knife myself. This would be true regardless of whether or not I was a criminal.
I agree with you in the scenario where noone (or very few) have guns and the criminal is deciding whether or not to acquire one. Other nation's experience bears this out. However we are discussing a completely different psychology, namely giving up something that you already have. To a criminal, a gun is not superfluous, it is an essential workplace tool.
"As usual... it depends."
AverageBozo

Post by AverageBozo »

Actually if you outlaw guns, only the worst and most dangerous criminals along with the police and military will have guns.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Robert66 wrote: July 28th, 2021, 3:17 am So please do enlighten me, because I don't see why the US wants to persist with what seems to be a batshit-crazy ballistic Hollywood Armageddon nightmare.
It's simple and obvious. American people perceive reality as "a batshit-crazy ballistic Hollywood Armageddon nightmare", and act accordingly. Empirical observation of their doings confirms this. QED.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Steve3007 wrote: July 29th, 2021, 5:29 am If I lived in an environment in which I thought most people around me carried a knife I'd probably be more inclined to consider carrying a knife myself. This would be true regardless of whether or not I was a criminal.
Yes, so by extension, would it not be the case that a law forbidding the possession of any kind of firearm, with significant (i.e. deterrent) penalties attached, that was universally enforced, would improve matters?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

LuckyR wrote: July 29th, 2021, 1:29 am There are so many guns in the American environment and they last so long, that there will be "too many" guns available even if gun sales stopped tomorrow and didn't resume for several hundred years.
So to get rid of them, we would have to make the possession of a gun illegal, and enforce the restriction rigorously and universally. Penalties would be severe enough that all but the most committed criminal would abide by the new law.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
AverageBozo

Post by AverageBozo »

Pattern-chaser wrote: July 29th, 2021, 11:00 am
Robert66 wrote: July 28th, 2021, 3:17 am So please do enlighten me, because I don't see why the US wants to persist with what seems to be a batshit-crazy ballistic Hollywood Armageddon nightmare.
It's simple and obvious. American people perceive reality as "a batshit-crazy ballistic Hollywood Armageddon nightmare", and act accordingly. Empirical observation of their doings confirms this. QED.
If I were a rugged individualist, like the pioneers of the American frontier, I would be completely self-reliant.

I wouldn’t depend on the police to protect my life, my liberty or my property when I can provide all the protection I need myself.

It’s a self-reliance thing. I’m an adult—I can take care of myself.

Return to “Philosophers' Lounge”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream