Climate Change (CC): post COP26

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
gad-fly

Climate Change (CC): post COP26

Post by gad-fly »

At the conclusion of COP 26, the UN Secretary General said:

As I said at the opening, we must accelerate action to keep the 1.5 degree goal alive.

Our fragile planet is hanging by a thread.

We are still knocking on the door of climate catastrophe.

It is time to go into emergency mode — or our chance of reaching net zero will itself be zero.

I reaffirm my conviction that we must end fossil fuels subsidies.

Phase out coal.

Put a price on carbon.

Some of us here may find interest in his statement, some may maintain passing interest, and some may even joke: wear short-sleeve more often, but on one can accuse him of playing politics or shirking responsibility for his high-paying job. He is indeed deeply concerned to put so much emphasis, when his job is in the UN with so many countries to face.

I would urge you to digest his words one by one. The most critical: hanging by a thread. Next, CC stands for Climate Catastrophe. Next; emergency mode. Next: zero chance. I challenge you to put them in stronger term.

Not all world leaders are born the same, of course. Some from India, for example, may insist on each country follows its own path. On coal-fired power generation, as New Delhi is soaked in smog, who can blame them for suffering less? Except that everybody has to pay the price somehow.

In this Forum, the topic of CC will subsist for a few days before being dropped to bite dust. Does any one care? Those world leaders in COP26 would have spent more days and effort traveling to faraway Glasgow, as if they have nothing better to do. Are they elected for that, and can we pass the buck to them again as good-for-nothing? No doubt some of us will sleep well. New Delhi is so far away.

I dare say that this Forum, and some of us in this Forum, are somewhat out of touch, or am I putting it too mildly?
Sculptor1

Re: Climate Change (CC): post COP26

Post by Sculptor1 »

Startng with a 1.5 degree "goal" is like starting a race with broken ankles.
But despite starting in defeat you would not have thought the problem could have have worsened by the end of COP26.
So dreadful was the event that it has to be extended and ran over by several days?
And what did those days achieve? They used the time usefully to water down an already weak resolution.
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

@gad-fly
Your constant repetition of threads about climate change is likely to be the factor which may stop me using this site altogether, because once again you have knocked my thread out of visibility within 2 days of making it. Most people are aware of the problem of climate change and you are not the only person who has created threads on related issues, so I do not know why you keep creating threads on the same topic endlessly. Personally, I am concerned about issues related to climate change but I don't want the issue forced on me constantly because it is just extremely depressing, and you have not come up with any constructive ideas about addressing the issue. It may be that many people care but it is not a simple matter at all, and I am not sure what you are trying to achieve other than saying that it should be thought about day and night, and that nothing else matters at all.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Fair point, Jack. We only need one thread to cover this, not multiples.

Gad-Fly, please utilise your existing threads on this topic and not keep starting new ones, as per forum rules. Cheers.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Sy Borg wrote: November 17th, 2021, 7:28 pm Fair point, Jack. We only need one thread to cover this, not multiples.

Gad-Fly, please utilise your existing threads on this topic and not keep starting new ones, as per forum rules. Cheers.
Yes, the duplication actually dilutes the subject and its discussion, which is unhelpful, given its paramount importance. 👍
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
stevie

Post by stevie »

Spamming the forum with CC threads doesn't support the 1.5 degree goal. :wink:
mankind ... must act and reason and believe; though they are not able, by their most diligent enquiry, to satisfy themselves concerning the foundation of these operations, or to remove the objections, which may be raised against them [Hume]
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

COP26, the tile of this topic, lasts from 31 Oct to Nov 12. Many world leaders attended, at the public's expense of enormous resources.

Conclusion by the UN Secretary General: Our Global planet is hanging by a thread. The conclusion by him and others appears crucial to our survival: No?
How strong can a thread be?

Would you not care less, or should this forum constrict debate here to a single thread(!) lumped under CC?
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

@gad-fly
You need to understand that people are interested and it may be that your initial thread has sparked off a number of threads with issues relating to climate change. It is not as if only one thread is needed but different areas of expertise are needed to consider the problem, because it is not just about whether one 'cares', but about looking at the matter in depth and in an analytical and practical way.
stevie

Post by stevie »

gad-fly wrote: November 19th, 2021, 2:11 pm Conclusion by the UN Secretary General: Our Global planet is hanging by a thread. The conclusion by him and others appears crucial to our survival: No?
How strong can a thread be?
That's a very intersting statement from my 'psychological' perspective. It touches upon many existential notions and cognition of self and other,
mankind ... must act and reason and believe; though they are not able, by their most diligent enquiry, to satisfy themselves concerning the foundation of these operations, or to remove the objections, which may be raised against them [Hume]
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

JackDaydream wrote: November 19th, 2021, 2:58 pm @gad-fly
You need to understand that people are interested and it may be that your initial thread has sparked off a number of threads with issues relating to climate change. It is not as if only one thread is needed but different areas of expertise are needed to consider the problem, because it is not just about whether one 'cares', but about looking at the matter in depth and in an analytical and practical way.
Know what 26 in COP26 stands for? The 26th, it is. The 25th is in Madrid 2019. the first is Kyoto 1995, long before the birth of this forum in Jan 2007, but perhaps not before you were born. COP had not been blessed with a thread in this forum until, by accident, I hit upon it a few days ago. I do not know whether the UN Secretary General has emergency in hospital in mind when he emphasizes Emergency. Suffice to say I have the hospital experience.

If you want to leave the issue to the experts because it is too complicated for you, fine. If you want to skip over the resources poured down to deal with CC, no problem. When it comes to your turn, you are entitled to say: I pass. But don't pass the blame to your political leaders. It is a waste of effort, since they can only be as good as their electorate.

What matters most, though not solely, is that you show your concern on what matters, that you care, and how much you care. Your influence is essential, one way or the other.
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

@gad-fly
I definitely believe that climate change is important and that it is a good thing that you have drawn attention to it. When I speak of expertise I am aware of important ideas being addressed in a couple of threads about issues of solar engineering and about waste dumping. I have not contributed to those discussions but I do try to read as much as I can of these because iI believe that it is important to be able to think about such aspects as well as other areas of philosophy. The future of humanity is at stake and I believe that I have stated previously that I often get depressed about the issue, but wish to approach the matter positively and constructively.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Obviously from a climatological point of view, CC has numerous interesting facets to discuss. Similarly the sociological and economic fallouts are potentially very interesting. However from a philosophical perspective taking CC seriously is an essential no-brainer. The interesting issues are the rationalizations created by the CC deniers.
"As usual... it depends."
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

LuckyR wrote: November 20th, 2021, 2:54 pm Obviously from a climatological point of view, CC has numerous interesting facets to discuss. Similarly the sociological and economic fallouts are potentially very interesting. However from a philosophical perspective taking CC seriously is an essential no-brainer. The interesting issues are the rationalizations created by the CC deniers.

"However from a philosophical perspective taking CC seriously is an essential no-brainer."

I take "philosophy" here in a broader context. To me, for example, Philosophy of Politics makes as little sense as Politics of Philosophy. In this respect, philosophy here should be taken to be no more than a high-sounding word for deep intellectual thought, such that we can all debate on any impersonal serious concern here under the sun, such as vegetarianism, cattle ranging, and so on.

But i must be wary of going on farther, lest I stray from the title. i have already done that? Sorry.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Gad-fly, since you are so keen to fight the good fight on behalf of the planet, why are you not countering the claims made on the "Should solar geo-engineering research be discouraged, or banned?" thread? There you can find the kinds of arguments used by the right to avoid adjusting for climate change.
stevie

Post by stevie »

I am far from being able to assess other individual's mind set based on forum postings. But from a psychotherapeutic perspective some posting behaviours may be (rightly or wrongly) associated with obsessiveness and obsessiveness can be cured by therapists.

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream