Misconceptions of Putin's Invasion of Ukraine

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
ernestm

Misconceptions of Putin's Invasion of Ukraine

Post by ernestm »

One of the consequences of 98% only reading the first sentence on anything is vast miscontruals of Putin's motives. Endless reams of total garbage about his 'evil soul' are now appearing when he has done nothing worse then Bush II invading Ukraine.

First off, Putin has no intention of bombing all the reservoirs and power plants to reduce the nation to a virtual stone age for over a decade, like the USA did to the Iraqis. He has no intention of making 6 million people die of typhoid etc due to lack of water and power, like the USA did to the Iraqis. But you will find a lot of people in the USA now loudly clamoring about Putin's evil, who only 17 years ago loudly clamored for the unjustified invasion of Iraq on totally trumped up false accusations.

For that reason, amongst many others in a long history of US hypocrisys, Putin's not really that after the Ukriaine. He's after uns. I can only admire his superb timing. He could have done this at any time for the last 30 years, but he saved it for this moment. Exactly when the USA hit its lowest unemployment in 50 years, highest information in 70 years, and absolutely zero wiggle room on fed interest rates, he hit the USA with a worldwide oil shortage. Also as Ukraine is a major breadbasket, he is pushing food prices up. And as a result of sanctions, US exports are going to suffer. But most people will be too busy gawking at the TV to realize he just started a major recession in the USA.

Putin has by this superb act of timing made it virtually impossible for Biden to beat one of the Trump family from putting the whole lot back in the White House in 2024. They will withdraw from the Paris Accord again to increase immediate profit. When the Arctic Ice entirely melts away starting a mere three years after his second term, 2035-2045, we now know it will not only affect ocean currents that currently reverse back to the Caribbean by Greenland, and back to Peru from Alaska, but will instead go around the top of Canada, killing all fish and causing the death or virtually everything on every single American coast. We now know it will also change all the jetstreams, making life entirely uninhabitable anywhere in the USA. Of course that won't be until about 2050, so it wont be Trump's fault.

Russia on the other hand is only nation in the world which really benefits from global warming. It has no major cities at sea level and lots of landlocked freezing land. Nothing could please it more than another Trump, and unlike democracies, Russia can afford to wait and take the long term view on its eventual world domination.

Hats off to Putin, guys. Really, what superb timing. Took me by surprise too. I really should have anticipated that. The sleeping bear always wins.
LuckyR

Re: Misconceptions of Putin's Invasion of Ukraine

Post by LuckyR »

ernestm wrote: February 26th, 2022, 6:41 am One of the consequences of 98% only reading the first sentence on anything is vast miscontruals of Putin's motives. Endless reams of total garbage about his 'evil soul' are now appearing when he has done nothing worse then Bush II invading Ukraine.

First off, Putin has no intention of bombing all the reservoirs and power plants to reduce the nation to a virtual stone age for over a decade, like the USA did to the Iraqis. He has no intention of making 6 million people die of typhoid etc due to lack of water and power, like the USA did to the Iraqis. But you will find a lot of people in the USA now loudly clamoring about Putin's evil, who only 17 years ago loudly clamored for the unjustified invasion of Iraq on totally trumped up false accusations.

For that reason, amongst many others in a long history of US hypocrisys, Putin's not really that after the Ukriaine. He's after uns. I can only admire his superb timing. He could have done this at any time for the last 30 years, but he saved it for this moment. Exactly when the USA hit its lowest unemployment in 50 years, highest information in 70 years, and absolutely zero wiggle room on fed interest rates, he hit the USA with a worldwide oil shortage. Also as Ukraine is a major breadbasket, he is pushing food prices up. And as a result of sanctions, US exports are going to suffer. But most people will be too busy gawking at the TV to realize he just started a major recession in the USA.

Putin has by this superb act of timing made it virtually impossible for Biden to beat one of the Trump family from putting the whole lot back in the White House in 2024. They will withdraw from the Paris Accord again to increase immediate profit. When the Arctic Ice entirely melts away starting a mere three years after his second term, 2035-2045, we now know it will not only affect ocean currents that currently reverse back to the Caribbean by Greenland, and back to Peru from Alaska, but will instead go around the top of Canada, killing all fish and causing the death or virtually everything on every single American coast. We now know it will also change all the jetstreams, making life entirely uninhabitable anywhere in the USA. Of course that won't be until about 2050, so it wont be Trump's fault.

Russia on the other hand is only nation in the world which really benefits from global warming. It has no major cities at sea level and lots of landlocked freezing land. Nothing could please it more than another Trump, and unlike democracies, Russia can afford to wait and take the long term view on its eventual world domination.

Hats off to Putin, guys. Really, what superb timing. Took me by surprise too. I really should have anticipated that. The sleeping bear always wins.
Well if he is going to hold onto Ukraine, he's going to need to develop a better technique than the Russian Afghanistan strategy. I'm not seeing it yet. You?
"As usual... it depends."
ernestm

Post by ernestm »

LuckyR wrote: February 26th, 2022, 1:55 pm Well if he is going to hold onto Ukraine, he's going to need to develop a better technique than the Russian Afghanistan strategy. I'm not seeing it yet. You?
I cant tell how long the resistance will continue. He could flatten the place any time he wants, but he's not in any rush. The slower he goes, the better a job he does. All the news and everything keeps saying all kinds of weird things about him that are meant to be bad, and not being in a rush is one of them.
Ecurb

Post by Ecurb »

Oh, the horror! This is the worst war of recent decades -- although only if we forget wars currently raging in Ethiopia with more soldiers on either side than the war in the Ukraine, or the current war in Syria, which has killed hundreds of thousands of people. Bush may have invaded Iraq, but he never had people stabbed with poison-tipped umprellas (that we know of). I suppose it's reasonable to be more horrified by a war in Europe - in part because the two huge world wars of the last century were European and in part because we (rightly or wrongly) think of Europe as a "first world" beacon of reasonable modernity.
ernestm

Post by ernestm »

Ecurb wrote: February 26th, 2022, 8:18 pm Oh, the horror! This is the worst war of recent decades -- although only if we forget wars currently raging in Ethiopia with more soldiers on either side than the war in the Ukraine, or the current war in Syria, which has killed hundreds of thousands of people. Bush may have invaded Iraq, but he never had people stabbed with poison-tipped umprellas (that we know of). I suppose it's reasonable to be more horrified by a war in Europe - in part because the two huge world wars of the last century were European and in part because we (rightly or wrongly) think of Europe as a "first world" beacon of reasonable modernity.
Does the war in Ethiopia have more than 200,000 soldiers on both sides? I never heard a statement of it before. If so, that's just appalling, you are totally right.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

ernestm wrote: February 26th, 2022, 4:16 pm
LuckyR wrote: February 26th, 2022, 1:55 pm Well if he is going to hold onto Ukraine, he's going to need to develop a better technique than the Russian Afghanistan strategy. I'm not seeing it yet. You?
I cant tell how long the resistance will continue. He could flatten the place any time he wants, but he's not in any rush. The slower he goes, the better a job he does. All the news and everything keeps saying all kinds of weird things about him that are meant to be bad, and not being in a rush is one of them.
Okay, so he deploys thermobaric missiles and kills all of the resistance fighters in Kyiv. Puppet government installed. He needs to pay to rebuild Ukraine (with a GDP half of California's) and western capital shut-off, as well as petrochemical revenue. The Ukrainians, who previously tolerated Russia, now absolutely hate it (see Chechnya). A garrison of Russian conscripts are stationed in Ukraine, and are steadily, though slowly returning home in bodybags. The Ukrainian infrastructure is decimated, thus it's contribution to the Russian bloc GDP is almost negative (given the rebuilding required). China is keeping out of it. How is this a win again?
chewybrian
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Post by chewybrian »

Ecurb wrote: February 26th, 2022, 8:18 pm Oh, the horror!
The horror I see is the framing of the discussion in terms of tactics or personality or the effects on our own economy. It ranges from Lucky questioning the validity of Putin's game plan, to your questioning the seriousness of the event, to the news focusing on the relatively minor impact on our lives here in the states, to ernestm's pathetic bootlicking praise of the wisdom of what Putin is doing.

It makes me sad that the first response from most of us seems to be "how will this affect me?". Worse is the admiration shown by Trump and his bootlickers. Nothing that happened in Iraq or is happening in Africa justifies what is happening in Ukraine. The last thing we should be giving a bloodthirsty dictator is respect and legitimacy. We should be focused on saving the lives of the people of Ukraine, protecting their freedom, and helping to remove Putin from power from within Russia and from the outside by any reasonable means possible.
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
Ecurb

Post by Ecurb »

I'm not questioning the seriousness of the event, merely the nature of our reaction to it compared to other wars. I think the comparative intensity of our reaction is in part based on Cold War fears and enmity, in part on our (America's) close relationship to Europe, and in part on racism.

From what I've read, the Tigray Liberation Front commands 250,000 soldiers, the Ethiopian army about 150,000 and the Eritrean army (rumors are not confirmed that they have entered Ethiopia) 200,000.

I agree that Putin is scary; he leads a kleptocracy (that's one reason Trump admires him) and an autocracy. Of course he's not the only world leader to assassinate his enemies: Barak Obama personally signed off on hundreds of drone assassinations (which also killed hunreds of other people as collateral damage). Nonetheless, excusing behavior by saying, "Lot's of other people do it" is weak sauce.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Or maybe after 20 years of being unable to stop the advancement of NATO, Putin finally snapped.
True philosophy points to the Moon
chewybrian
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Post by chewybrian »

Ecurb wrote: February 27th, 2022, 11:37 am I'm not questioning the seriousness of the event, merely the nature of our reaction to it compared to other wars. I think the comparative intensity of our reaction is in part based on Cold War fears and enmity, in part on our (America's) close relationship to Europe, and in part on racism.

From what I've read, the Tigray Liberation Front commands 250,000 soldiers, the Ethiopian army about 150,000 and the Eritrean army (rumors are not confirmed that they have entered Ethiopia) 200,000.

I agree that Putin is scary; he leads a kleptocracy (that's one reason Trump admires him) and an autocracy. Of course he's not the only world leader to assassinate his enemies: Barak Obama personally signed off on hundreds of drone assassinations (which also killed hunreds of other people as collateral damage). Nonetheless, excusing behavior by saying, "Lot's of other people do it" is weak sauce.
Let me know when Biden sends a secret agent to poison Mitch McConnel. Surely there is a big difference between trying to stop terrorists hiding in Afghanistan and taking out your political opponents by force rather than at the polls.

Otherwise, there is a lot of truth in what you said. I think the conflict in Africa poses no existential threat to us or our close allies (or our economic interests), so it doesn't register on the radar. But the other elements you mentioned surely play a part in our response or lack of it.
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
Ecurb

Post by Ecurb »

chewybrian wrote: February 27th, 2022, 12:24 pm
Let me know when Biden sends a secret agent to poison Mitch McConnel. Surely there is a big difference between trying to stop terrorists hiding in Afghanistan and taking out your political opponents by force rather than at the polls.
Obviously, there is a difference. But Obama's drone assassinations often took place in countries to which we were allied (like Pakistan). In addition, I doubt they were effective at preventing terrorism; instead, they probably motivated terrorists and aided their recruiting. Obama personally signed the death warrants.

By the way, unlike military drones, the assassin drones were generally operated by civilians. We also targeted children (admittedly, terrorist children, but under-age kids nonetheless). Here's a thread I started about it back in the day:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6578&p=88078&hilit=assassin#p88078

Also, I don't want to excuse Putin by suggesting that others are "almost as bad". The reality is that I object to BOTH Putin's and our assassination campaigns.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Ecurb wrote: February 27th, 2022, 11:37 am I'm not questioning the seriousness of the event, merely the nature of our reaction to it compared to other wars. I think the comparative intensity of our reaction is in part based on Cold War fears and enmity, in part on our (America's) close relationship to Europe, and in part on racism.

Oh I don't know, my observation is that the response is typical for a European ground war.
Ecurb

Post by Ecurb »

LuckyR wrote: February 27th, 2022, 4:53 pm
Oh I don't know, my observation is that the response is typical for a European ground war.
IN the last 50 years the main European ground wars were in the former Yugoslavia. I don't remember this much of an American media response (although, of course, we did end up bombing Serbia).

Another observation: Trump and his supporters see Russia as the last "truly European" country. OUr allies in Western Europe have all become multi-racial and multi-cultural nations. Racisim fuels Trumpite's respect for Putin and Russia.

Also, the media response is justified in that Russia is a world power and a threat. We didn't really need to fear Serbia, Croatia, or Bosnia. They weren't capable of threatening the major Western powers. Is Russia? They lack the economic power these days, but their military still packs a punch.
Tegularius

Post by Tegularius »

Probably I'm missing something, but why wasn't Putin's assertion not tested by NATO in yielding to his demand that Ukraine will not become a member of NATO for as long as he holds to his promise that no invasion will take place as per his original conditions. If Putin reneges on that, Ukraine will automatically become a member, being obvious he wishes to invade without being compromised by NATO and its allies.

It would have been at test question making plain his intentions to begin with without expecting NATO to interfere.
The earth has a skin and that skin has diseases; one of its diseases is called man ... Nietzsche
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Ecurb wrote: February 27th, 2022, 7:37 pm
LuckyR wrote: February 27th, 2022, 4:53 pm
IN the last 50 years the main European ground wars were in the former Yugoslavia. I don't remember this much of an American media response (although, of course, we did end up bombing Serbia).

Another observation: Trump and his supporters see Russia as the last "truly European" country. OUr allies in Western Europe have all become multi-racial and multi-cultural nations. Racisim fuels Trumpite's respect for Putin and Russia.

Also, the media response is justified in that Russia is a world power and a threat. We didn't really need to fear Serbia, Croatia, or Bosnia. They weren't capable of threatening the major Western powers. Is Russia? They lack the economic power these days, but their military still packs a punch.
Overall, sounds like we're in agreement.

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream