The REAL Woman

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
gad-fly

The REAL Woman

Post by gad-fly »

I've Never Been To Me (Original Single Version)
Charlene

Ooh, I've been to Georgia and California and anywhere I could run
Took the hand of a preacher man
And we made love in the sun
But I ran out of places and friendly faces
Because I had to be free
I've been to paradise but I've never been to me...
Please lady please lady
Don't just walk away
'Cause I have this need to tell you
Why I'm all alone today
I can see so much of me
Still living in your eyes
Won't you share a part
Of a weary heart that has lived a million lives
Ooh, I've been to Nice and the Isle of Greece
When I sipped champagne on a yacht
I moved like Harlow in Monte Carlo
And showed them what I've got
I've been undressed by kings
And I've seen some things that a woman ain't s'posed to see
I've been to paradise but I've never been to me...
Hey, you know what paradise is?
It's a lie
A fantasy we created about people and places
As we like them to be
But you know what truth is?
It's that little baby you're holding
And it's that man you fought with this morning
The same one you are gonna make love to tonight
That's truth that's love
Sometimes I've been to crying for unborn children
That might have made me complete
But I, I took the sweet life
I never knew I'd be bitter from the sweet
I spent my life exploring
The subtle whoring
That costs too much to be free
Hey lady I've been to paradise
But I've never been to me...

Ironically, a Real Woman is more like a man than not. Physically, you can call her the weaker sex, but she has come of age, and she can stand tall to claim every niche and corner she has been denied, with dignity and pride. Does that make her happier? Would everyone be contented? Is the cost too high? These points are beside the point.

A Real Woman will go places. She will not be ashamed to make love in the sun, even with a preacher man. She has regrets, plenty of regrets. She is often alone, overlooked, slighted, and ignored. She is not afraid to admit that she whores, like everyone else. She has been to paradise, only to find out that paradise is but a lie to keep her in her assigned place of service: to give rise to the next generation, to provide sex, and to keep family.

What makes her stand out from her predecessor. She is Free. None can put her down again.

Carry on, Charlene. I am with you all the way.
LuckyR

Re: The REAL Woman

Post by LuckyR »

Interesting take. To my ears this is less about woman vs man and more about life experience vs inexperience.
"As usual... it depends."
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

LuckyR wrote: August 8th, 2022, 3:13 pm Interesting take. To my ears this is less about woman vs man and more about life experience vs inexperience.
This is about the emergence of post-feminism Real Woman: your Real Sister. She does not require you to set her free. She has broken the chain. She does not ask to be compensated for her historical bondage. She no longer needs special treatment. Indeed, she would reject special treatment as disrespect. She does not even say: it is my turn. She will look you direct in the eye. "This is me, the real me, the me that i want me to be. I am free."
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

gad-fly wrote: August 11th, 2022, 11:35 am
LuckyR wrote: August 8th, 2022, 3:13 pm Interesting take. To my ears this is less about woman vs man and more about life experience vs inexperience.
This is about the emergence of post-feminism Real Woman: your Real Sister. She does not require you to set her free. She has broken the chain. She does not ask to be compensated for her historical bondage. She no longer needs special treatment. Indeed, she would reject special treatment as disrespect. She does not even say: it is my turn. She will look you direct in the eye. "This is me, the real me, the me that i want me to be. I am free."
I am, in fact referring to the emergence theme. You're attributing this change to the effect of the Feminist movement, I'm putting it on acquiring life experience. We're probably both right.
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

LuckyR wrote: August 11th, 2022, 12:49 pm
I am, in fact referring to the emergence theme. You're attributing this change to the effect of the Feminist movement, I'm putting it on acquiring life experience. We're probably both right.
Me talking about the effect of the feminist movement? That is a vast understatement, because the Real Woman is a startlingly independent structure towering over the new horizon.
Attributing the Real Woman as acquiring experience is not appropriate. It is like saying that The French Revolution is no more than acquiring experience in government, or that having sex is experiencing comfort of the bed.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

gad-fly wrote: August 11th, 2022, 1:37 pm
LuckyR wrote: August 11th, 2022, 12:49 pm
Me talking about the effect of the feminist movement? That is a vast understatement, because the Real Woman is a startlingly independent structure towering over the new horizon.
Attributing the Real Woman as acquiring experience is not appropriate. It is like saying that The French Revolution is no more than acquiring experience in government, or that having sex is experiencing comfort of the bed.
Well, you're the one who stipulated "post-feminism". Just to be clear, I'm commenting on the lyrics you cited, you seem to have an image of something in mind that is only tangentially related to the song.
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

LuckyR wrote: August 11th, 2022, 5:33 pm
Well, you're the one who stipulated "post-feminism". Just to be clear, I'm commenting on the lyrics you cited, you seem to have an image of something in mind that is only tangentially related to the song.
Thanks to your comment to the lyrics. Sorry if I have confused. It is never my intention to seek comment on the lyrics, but on what it inspires what I have written follow its quotation. The inspiration is what matters. The Real Woman inspires the lyrics in the first place, not the other way round.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

gad-fly wrote: August 11th, 2022, 6:02 pm
Thanks to your comment to the lyrics. Sorry if I have confused. It is never my intention to seek comment on the lyrics, but on what it inspires what I have written follow its quotation. The inspiration is what matters. The Real Woman inspires the lyrics in the first place, not the other way round.
Thanks for confirming. For communication, can you please describe what makes a RW (instead of what she can do)?
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

LuckyR wrote: August 12th, 2022, 2:17 pm
gad-fly wrote: August 11th, 2022, 6:02 pm
Thanks for confirming. For communication, can you please describe what makes a RW (instead of what she can do)?
The post-feminist Woman is what I would call the Real Woman. Her emancipation took a century or so. She was thought unworthy to vote, to philosophize, to art, to politics, to medicine, and so on. Hers is the second sex, when second means inferior, as in South Korea fifty years ago. Her emancipation is still going on, but we can see the Real woman evolving to be on par with her brother in every field. This is what makes her real.

Does that make her predecessor unreal. I would think so. Compare her with the Victorian counterpart. The latter's justification is to keep family, and to give rise to the next generation. What else does she earn her keep?

What can a Real Woman do? Everything a man can do. How do you identify a Real Woman? You can find her in every field, She is your partner, your competitor, your boss, your assistant. She drinks, she fights, she lies, and she whores, just like what you may be doing.

Unlike Humpty Dumpty, she sat on the wall (or a pedestal) for so long. Slowly, and regrettably too slowly, she stands up. No one can put her down again.

lastly, she deserves your respect. You don't respect her? That is your problem. She cannot care less.

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream