Morally legitimate wealth

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
Good_Egg

Morally legitimate wealth

Post by Good_Egg »

This seems like a candidate for one of the Big Political Questions.

Some people think the concept "morally legitimate" is meaningless. That perspective is being discussed elsewhere - no point in repeating it here. One can only hope that those who adopt this view are consistent enough to abstain from political views that incorporate the proposition that some or all wealth is morally problematic.

Some people think that the concept of "morally legitimate" is meaningful, but relates to a domain that is separate from economics. "All's fair in love and commerce" might describe this position.

Some people think all wealth is morally illegitimate. Which leads to a discussion on what they consider to be wealth...

I would count myself in those who take the common-sense view that some wealth is morally legitimate and some is not. Which leads to the question of how we distinguish the two.

What's your take on the above ?

Starter for 10:
In a society based largely on subsistence agriculture, one family has a single son who inherits the land, while their neighbours have two sons who divide the family farm between them. Anything morally wrong with that ?
"Opinions are fiercest.. ..when the evidence to support or refute them is weakest" - Druin Burch
LuckyR

Re: Morally legitimate wealth

Post by LuckyR »

Good_Egg wrote: September 10th, 2022, 6:27 am This seems like a candidate for one of the Big Political Questions.

Some people think the concept "morally legitimate" is meaningless. That perspective is being discussed elsewhere - no point in repeating it here. One can only hope that those who adopt this view are consistent enough to abstain from political views that incorporate the proposition that some or all wealth is morally problematic.

Some people think that the concept of "morally legitimate" is meaningful, but relates to a domain that is separate from economics. "All's fair in love and commerce" might describe this position.

Some people think all wealth is morally illegitimate. Which leads to a discussion on what they consider to be wealth...

I would count myself in those who take the common-sense view that some wealth is morally legitimate and some is not. Which leads to the question of how we distinguish the two.

Starter for 10:
In a society based largely on subsistence agriculture, one family has a single son who inherits the land, while their neighbours have two sons who divide the family farm between them. Anything morally wrong with that ?
I see no ethical problem with the passage of the farmland.

I agree with you that personally I find wealth derived from practices I find immoral, to also be immoral.
"As usual... it depends."
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Good_Egg wrote: September 10th, 2022, 6:27 am This seems like a candidate for one of the Big Political Questions.

Starter for 10:
Yeah. Land ownership is immoral.
Good_Egg

Post by Good_Egg »

Is that on the basi that you think all ownership immoral, or is it something peculiar to land ?
"Opinions are fiercest.. ..when the evidence to support or refute them is weakest" - Druin Burch
heracleitos

Post by heracleitos »

Some people think the concept "morally legitimate" is meaningless.
We would first have to agree on what the term "morality " means.

When Martin Luther used his epistemic stance on morality, "If you can show me through scripture and reason that I would be wrong, I will retract what I have written.", Luther took the position that morality is an axiomatic system of first-principle rules from which moral conclusions syntactically entail as theorems.

The Holy Apostolic Church resolutely rejected Luther's view, because according to the transcript of the court case, the Catholic position is that the Bible is "an arsenal of deceptive arguments".

I personally subscribe to Luther's view. Morality is an axiomatic system, i.e. a rule-based theory, that is essentially similar to arithmetic theory or set theory. That is how I use it. In all practical terms, the only contemporary moral system that operates on the basis of syntactic entailment, is Islamic jurisprudence.
Good_Egg wrote: September 10th, 2022, 6:27 am What's your take on the above ?

Starter for 10:
I will use the admiral ship of morality, i.e. Islamic jurisprudence, to address the question.

According to the Quranic scripture, the children of the defunct inherit his estate. Children of other families do not inherit and should not inherit, because such is the will of God (SWT). Furthermore, Allah (SWT) knows best, and in his axiomatization we fully trust.

You can find excellent calculation examples for the immutable rules governing the Islamic system of inheritance in Algorithmi's book, "Liber Algebrae".
Good_Egg

Post by Good_Egg »

LuckyR wrote: September 11th, 2022, 2:33 am I agree with you that personally I find wealth derived from practices I find immoral, to also be immoral.
Does this mean that it's OK to get rich selling a better mousetrap ? But not to get rich selling guns, recreational drugs, or sexual services ?
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Good_Egg wrote: March 4th, 2023, 4:29 am
LuckyR wrote: September 11th, 2022, 2:33 am I agree with you that personally I find wealth derived from practices I find immoral, to also be immoral.
Does this mean that it's OK to get rich selling a better mousetrap ? But not to get rich selling guns, recreational drugs, or sexual services ?
Depends on what you mean by "OK". If you mean: legal, then that's a question for a lawyer. If you mean: immoral (which is what I was discussing), then that would depend on whether you thought that owning a gun, taking recreational drugs and paying for sex is immoral. Since I don't think they are, I think making money from those activities is "OK". Having said that, there are certain gun selling, drug selling and sex selling entrepreneurs who also engage in certain acts that I do find immoral as part of their business model. I am not "OK" with their business practices on those grounds.
Good_Egg

Post by Good_Egg »

LuckyR wrote: March 4th, 2023, 10:46 pm
Depends on what you mean by "OK". If you mean: legal, then that's a question for a lawyer. If you mean: immoral (which is what I was discussing), then that would depend on whether you thought that owning a gun, taking recreational drugs and paying for sex is immoral.
Yes I'm talking about whether wealth can be morally OK.

Those were just examples of actions that some would consider immoral.
Since I don't think they are, I think making money from those activities is "OK".
Perfectly logical.
Having said that, there are certain gun selling, drug selling and sex selling entrepreneurs who also engage in certain acts that I do find immoral as part of their business model.
Such as ?

Just wanting to be clear on where you (and others) draw the line.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Good_Egg wrote: March 7th, 2023, 4:35 am
LuckyR wrote: March 4th, 2023, 10:46 pm
Depends on what you mean by "OK". If you mean: legal, then that's a question for a lawyer. If you mean: immoral (which is what I was discussing), then that would depend on whether you thought that owning a gun, taking recreational drugs and paying for sex is immoral.
Yes I'm talking about whether wealth can be morally OK.

Those were just examples of actions that some would consider immoral.
Since I don't think they are, I think making money from those activities is "OK".
Perfectly logical.
Having said that, there are certain gun selling, drug selling and sex selling entrepreneurs who also engage in certain acts that I do find immoral as part of their business model.
Such as ?

Just wanting to be clear on where you (and others) draw the line.
Selling unregistered guns to felons, selling fentanyl laced lethal drugs, killing rival drug dealers, abusing sex workers under your employment, hiring underage sex workers and robbing Johns are all actions that violate my moral standard.

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream