The 'Moloch' Thread

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
Papus79

The 'Moloch' Thread

Post by Papus79 »

I looked around and I haven't seen anything here to date on Moloch (at least in the modern Allen Ginsberg / Slate Star Codex / GameB context) so I thought I'd pin it up.

A link to the Slate Star Codex article:
https://slatestarcodex.com/2014/07/30/m ... on-moloch/

The core of what's being discussed here is the concept of multipolar traps. Multipolar traps include defection incentives but really describe a dynamic where if people start defecting in a certain area it then becomes an existential issue for those competing in the same area where if that other actor can get away with defection, or at least get away with it long enough to obtain an unfair advantage for having defected, their choice is either defect themselves, go out of business, or in more severe scenarios be enslaved or die.

Moloch is then a way of describing defection space or the geometry of toxic incentives leading to multipolar traps and zero-sum / negative-sum games.

Seeing Liv Boeree make her rounds in different places in the last month (Stoa, Lex Fridman, etc.) got me thinking about it again. On one hand I'm really glad they've got a celebrity exponent who both has applied competence with high-stakes competition as a world-class poker player but also has the intellectual chops to then speak directly to both the causes and what the solution space might look like.

It won't surprise me too much if this whole thing is new to a lot of people, I've been consuming a lot of GameB material and long-form podcasts (especially when I see Daniel Schmachtenberger getting interviewed in various places). IMHO it's a concept that does need to go mainstream because I think it really has a big Girardian component, ie. that like scapegoating it works best when people don't have the language for it and/or when people full stop don't realize that it's a thing and they may very well act on it but it's purely subconscious without having any 'nameable' point of reference.
Sunlight as the best disinfectant is a double-edged sword often because it leaves out whose paying attention and why but in some cases I think there are dynamics where the bulk of the problem is that people swim in it all day long without a cohesive grasp and consequently a lot of it happens below their own moral radar (a great example is when anonymity prevents one from seeing visceral effects of harm, like someone robbing BTC/ETH wallets online).
Humbly watching Youtube in Universe 25. - Me
Oliver Krieger
Favorite Philosopher: René Girard

What a great poem

Post by Oliver Krieger »

Where does defection start ? From a political distance, it starts with people realizing, that they are about to enter something they experience or know to be morally and existentially false, or dangerous, but from whence such a consciousness ? Since it it takes more than just a feeling of incongruence.

German conscientious objectors of the year 2022 cite the realization, they'd be expected to fight Russia, as main reason for their rejecting the military service.

From the perspective of somebody with a military, not militarist family background, but lacking parents who were soldiers themselves, i understand conscientious objection of truly have become a matter of not wanting to be the family scapegoat, that is, the one from the group who has got to do it for sake of all of its members. I also understand that education is a critical influence, which means, given the soldierly education, including the devolution of familial responsibilities, duties, powers, and concepts from the above of elder generations, there would be less of a question of whether or whether not do it, of feeling like being the scapegoat for the job at the front already within ones family.

But, since demilitarization, social criticizm, automatization of warfare, decolonization, to name a few, all served and serve to make families less militarist, and independent from militarist virtues, there is, from the perspective of the traditionalist, fearing to be forsaken and left without anyone to grab the gun and fight for the cause of everybody, no cure available.

The dawn of the war-robot is the redemption of the soldier.
Papus79

Re: The 'Moloch' Thread

Post by Papus79 »

Daniel Schmachtenberger on Stoa (6/12/2020), Converting Moloch from Sith to Jedi:
Liv Boeree, again on Stoa (9/12/2022), giving more exegesis on Moloch and means to manage it:
Papus79

Post by Papus79 »

A discussion on the topic of Moloch that went up today between Daniel Schmachtenberger and Liv Boeree:

Papus79

Post by Papus79 »

Another guy I wasn't familiar with, David Shapiro, talking about Moloch:

AgentSmith

Post by AgentSmith »

I've seen Moloch and we all have I suppose, but there's so much more we have to do. Seeing is not believing, seeing is only the beginning and we all know this merry-go-round is not gonna stop for no one. I'm no cop but an address is of interest to even thugs. Moloch is a perpetual motion machine - scientifically inexplicable - but eppur si mouve. I last saw her, Moloch, in Tanzania and she hasn't aged, thank god, and I wanted to ask her where she was headed but I decided not to - the question was pointless from an ancient divine perspective.
Papus79

Post by Papus79 »

^^ There's a channel on Youtube by a couple of Jungian psychologists, Steve and Pauline Richards, called 'JungToLiveBy' who've suggested that either the human genome or the world genome has an intelligence of its own and encourages culls when it gets the sense that dysgenic load has accumulated too much. Being that I do take egregores and collective intelligences having many bodies as a potential 'top-down' control it wouldn't surprise me if that isn't part of the psychosis.

Jonathan Pageau also just chimed in on AI and Moloch:

Papus79

Post by Papus79 »

A thirteen minute synopsis of Moloch and the MetaCrisis from a channel called Prometheuns.

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream