Peace, love, and truth ultimately thrive under the light of open-mindedness, peaceful discussion

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Re: Peace, love, and truth ultimately thrive under the light of open-mindedness, peaceful discussion

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser wrote: October 30th, 2022, 12:00 pm your OP does seem to imply that censorship is wrong in pretty much all circumstances, doesn't it?
Scott wrote: October 31st, 2022, 3:40 pm Presumably, 'seem to imply' is subjective, but to me, no, it certainly doesn't seem to me to imply such a thing, especially since I am a known moral nihilist (a.k.a. spiritual anarchist, a.k.a. an amoralist, a.k.a. free-spirited/self-disciplined person), meaning I don't believe in the existence of morality.
You think that censorship is a moral issue, then?

Scott wrote: October 31st, 2022, 3:40 pm I would strongly encourage one to avoid reading between the lines of posts on the philosophy forums, and instead going by what I (and others) actually explicitly state.
As an autist, I can only agree with this. My question was posed only because I wasn't clear on your intended meaning. Perhaps I should've been clearer, and said that I was asking for clarification. I'll try to do better. 😉
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Re: Peace, love, and truth ultimately thrive under the light of open-mindedness, peaceful discussion

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

Pattern-chaser wrote: October 30th, 2022, 12:00 pm your OP does seem to imply that censorship is wrong in pretty much all circumstances, doesn't it?
Scott wrote: October 31st, 2022, 3:40 pm Presumably, 'seem to imply' is subjective, but to me, no, it certainly doesn't seem to me to imply such a thing, especially since I am a known moral nihilist (a.k.a. spiritual anarchist, a.k.a. an amoralist, a.k.a. free-spirited/self-disciplined person), meaning I don't believe in the existence of morality.
Pattern-chaser wrote: November 1st, 2022, 1:17 pm You think that censorship is a moral issue, then?
No. Essentially, I don't and can't think anything is a moral issue because I don't believe in morality.

Moral values and such are just superstition as best I can tell. That is, insofar as they are anything at all, which is far from a given.

Scott wrote: October 31st, 2022, 3:40 pm I would strongly encourage one to avoid reading between the lines of posts on the philosophy forums, and instead going by what I (and others) actually explicitly state.
Pattern-chaser wrote: October 30th, 2022, 12:00 pm As an autist, I can only agree with this. My question was posed only because I wasn't clear on your intended meaning. Perhaps I should've been clearer, and said that I was asking for clarification.
No worries, and thank you for asking for clarification. :)
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Scott wrote: October 27th, 2022, 3:12 pm
  • 1. When we censor those who distastefully present a distasteful or false idea, we strengthen the distasteful or false idea and help it propagate.
  • 2. Falsehood is overcome by being exposed, not hidden.
  • 3. Hate is overcome by being exposed, not hidden.
[Edited into a list by me.]

This seems to be a list of unjustified assertions; opinions only. Also, I think there may be more to say about censorship than the above.

To complement point #1, I might observe that mentioning or quoting any idea helps it spread. Even if that mention is critical. But this is only stating the obvious. In effect, I just said that 'spreading an idea helps it spread'.

In contrast, and by definition, censorship prevents or minimises the spread of the idea in question, hindering its propagation. That may be a good thing or not.

Point #2. Assumption: Falsehood should be "overcome". Logically, it seems reasonable to combat the spread of misinformation. This seems to be an argument in favour of censorship. Assumption: that censorship applies (only?) to false information...

Point #3. Assumption: that censorship and hatred are somehow linked. This assumption is not an obvious one to me.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

• 1. When we censor those who distastefully present a distasteful or false idea, we strengthen the distasteful or false idea and help it propagate.
Pattern-chaser wrote: November 3rd, 2022, 12:44 pm

This seems to be a list of unjustified assertions; opinions only.
I think the three numbered sentences quoted above are supported in part by the sentences left out of the quote above that were also included in the OP:
Scott wrote: October 27th, 2022, 3:12 pm We become like a lion who not only strengthens the herd by eating the weakest slowest antelope, but also who strengthens the herd by unifying the herd against the lion (the common enemy).

Censorship is like the clouds that cover the sun.

Hate and falsehood thrive in and thanks to the darkness.

Peace, love, and truth ultimately will and do thrive under the illuminating light of open-mindedness, peaceful discussion, and free speech.
Pattern-chaser wrote: November 3rd, 2022, 12:44 pmIn contrast, and by definition, censorship prevents or minimises the spread of the idea in question, hindering its propagation.
Depending on what you mean by spread, I am likely to agree.

For instance, if an invalid/untrue hypothesis gets repeated to (i.e. spread to) a scientist who then publicly tests it and debunks it, it would be true that prohibiting the scientist have from having heard it in the first place and/or tested it would in a sense reduce the spread of the idea in terms of exposure and thereby increase the belief in the idea by not exposing the easily debunked idea to the light of day, so to speak.

We must then differentiate between spreading awareness of the idea (propagation of awareness of the idea) versus actual belief in its truth.

Pattern-chaser wrote: November 3rd, 2022, 12:44 pm Point #2. Assumption: Falsehood should be "overcome".
I am not sure if you are saying that is an assumption you are making, or claiming it is an assumption I am making. In any case, it's neither an assumption I am making nor that I believe.

Pattern-chaser wrote: November 3rd, 2022, 12:44 pm Logically, it seems reasonable to combat the spread of misinformation.
How does that logically follow from anything you or I have stated in this thread? What rule of logic was used to conclude that? Which previous statements (i.e. premises) does it logically follow from?

In any case, I do not agree with that conclusion.

Depending on what's meant by the word "spread", I might generally prefer the opposite.

For example, I would much prefer to put my kids in a school that teaches them about the Salem Witch Trials, the KKK, and Nazis, rather than one that never mentions such things and whitewashes them from the history books.

Similarly, I would like invalid/false hypotheses spread to scientists to openly test, typically repeatedly by multiple different scientists in peer reviewed ways, and the results of the test spread to me and others.

That is, especially, if the alternative was to desperately cover the invalid/false ideas up and treat them as if they deserved the respect people give Voldemort ("he who must not be named"). Typically, desperate cover-ups are--rightfully--seen as evidence (not proof, but evidence) of the important truth of that which is being desperately covered up. Like me, one is not afraid to say Voldemort's name when they know he is not real and true. Those who do fear to say his name thereby betray their belief in him.

For instance, the moment it becomes illegal by threat of prison to talk about Flat Earth Theory is the moment I'll start taking it much more seriously. For now, I don't believe in it or take it seriously, and very glad that people like Neil deGrasse Tyson talk about it a lot, in a sense reducing belief in the idea by spreading and propagating the awareness of it.

Pattern-chaser wrote: November 3rd, 2022, 12:44 pm Assumption: that censorship applies (only?) to false information...
Pattern-chaser wrote: November 3rd, 2022, 12:44 pm Assumption: that censorship and hatred are somehow linked.
I am confused about who is making or allegedly making these assumptions, and what they would even mean.

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser wrote: November 3rd, 2022, 12:44 pm

This seems to be a list of unjustified assertions; opinions only.
Scott wrote: November 3rd, 2022, 5:17 pm I think the three numbered sentences quoted above are supported in part by the sentences left out of the quote above that were also included in the OP:
Scott wrote: October 27th, 2022, 3:12 pm We become like a lion who not only strengthens the herd by eating the weakest slowest antelope, but also who strengthens the herd by unifying the herd against the lion (the common enemy).

Peace, love, and truth ultimately will and do thrive under the illuminating light of open-mindedness, peaceful discussion, and free speech.
It is difficult to see how poetry supports your theme, whatever that theme might be. For example, I find it difficult to see how I could usefully respond to "Censorship is like the clouds that cover the sun" in the context of a philosophical discussion.

I would like to engage with you on this, but I am having difficulty even understanding what your opinion is, so that I might add a useful response of my own. Every time I think I've got it, you post to tell me that I've misunderstood. Fair enough, it's easily done, and I do it all the time; we all do. But if I can't fathom your intended meaning, I can't engage. My apologies.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Scott wrote: October 27th, 2022, 3:12 pm When we censor those who most distastefully present a distasteful or false idea[...] We become like a lion who not only strengthens the herd by eating the weakest slowest antelope, but also who strengthens the herd by unifying the herd against the lion (the common enemy).

Pattern-chaser wrote: November 4th, 2022, 9:00 am I find it difficult to see how I could usefully respond to "Censorship is like the clouds that cover the sun" in the context of a philosophical discussion.
The idiom and proverbial/metaphorical use of the concept of the 'bringing something to light' or metaphorically (not literally) bringing it 'under the microscope' are common where I am from and carry a lot of meaning, but I understand such idioms can be regional and less common elsewhere, so I'll avoid those metaphors when discussing this matter with you in this topic moving forward. Sorry for the confusion. Nonetheless, just in case it is helpful, here is some info about them:

https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/bring+to+light

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dicti ... g-to-light

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/bring--to--light

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictio ... g-to-light

Overall, it seems that you use the analogy/metaphor of spreading (e.g. like a virus or contagion or even the immunity thereof), where I use the metaphor of illumination (i.e. "bringing to light") or the lack thereof.

So I will do my best moving forward in this topic when replying to you to use the 'spreading' idiom versus the 'bringing to light' idiom, to refer to the process which is presumably one in the same.

Pattern-chaser wrote: November 4th, 2022, 9:00 am I would like to engage with you on this, but I am having difficulty even understanding what your opinion is, so that I might add a useful response of my own. Every time I think I've got it, you post to tell me that I've misunderstood. Fair enough, it's easily done, and I do it all the time; we all do. But if I can't fathom your intended meaning, I can't engage. My apologies.
If you tell me which of the following sentences of mine from my last post were most unclear, I will do my best to clarify them:

Scott wrote: November 3rd, 2022, 5:17 pm
Pattern-chaser wrote: November 3rd, 2022, 12:44 pmIn contrast, and by definition, censorship prevents or minimises the spread of the idea in question, hindering its propagation.
Depending on what you mean by spread, I am likely to agree.

For instance, if an invalid/untrue hypothesis gets repeated to (i.e. spread to) a scientist who then publicly tests it and debunks it, it would be true that prohibiting the scientist from having heard it in the first place and/or tested it would in a sense reduce the spread of the idea in terms of exposure and thereby increase the belief in the idea by not exposing the easily debunked idea to the light of day, so to speak.

We must then differentiate between spreading awareness of the idea (propagation of awareness of the idea) versus actual belief in its truth.

Scott wrote: November 3rd, 2022, 5:17 pm
Pattern-chaser wrote: November 3rd, 2022, 12:44 pm it seems reasonable to combat the spread of misinformation.
Depending on what's meant by the word "spread", I might generally prefer the opposite.

For example, I would much prefer to put my kids in a school that teaches them about the Salem Witch Trials, the KKK, and Nazis, rather than one that never mentions such things and whitewashes them from the history books.

Similarly, I would like invalid/false hypotheses spread to scientists to openly test, typically repeatedly by multiple different scientists in peer reviewed ways, and the results of the test spread to me and others.

That is, especially, if the alternative was to desperately cover the invalid/false ideas up [...] Typically, desperate cover-ups are--rightfully--seen as evidence (not proof, but evidence) of the important truth of that which is being desperately covered up.

For instance, the moment it becomes illegal by threat of prison to talk about Flat Earth Theory is the moment I'll start taking it much more seriously. For now, I don't believe in it or take it seriously, and very glad that people like Neil deGrasse Tyson talk about it a lot, in a sense reducing belief in the idea by spreading and propagating the awareness of it.

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream