The possibility of the UK re-joining the EU

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
Robert66

Re: The possibility of the UK re-joining the EU

Post by Robert66 »

Pattern-chaser wrote: January 18th, 2023, 10:21 am
Robert66 wrote: January 17th, 2023, 4:21 pm It is vital to maintain a united front against transgender people.
I don't think this is the right topic to express such distasteful views; this topic is about Brexit and the EU.
Trying to force the "U" back into UK, by disallowing the Scottish attempt to be a little more kind to transgender people, illustrates the impossibility of re-joining the EU. Sturgeon's pledge to challenge the UK government's decision suggests further devolution rather than strengthening of the union. Interested EU observers would be less inclined to say "welcome back".

An independent Scotland, back in Europe where they belong, sounds about right to me.
Fried Egg

Post by Fried Egg »

Tegularius wrote: January 14th, 2023, 6:25 pm
Fried Egg wrote: January 14th, 2023, 11:07 am
A "loose integration" is what you have now as a consequence of Brexit. It's not as if the UK were divested of all European concerns. It's still a country in Europe among whom there are many common concerns. That won't change.
When I say "some form loose integration", I mean something tighter than what we have now but not as tight as being a fully fledged EU member (as we now understand it).
It may be "a consummation devoutly to be wished" by the Brits in one form or another but the probability of it being allowed by any member of the EU is near nil. Why should they? England's status is no higher than any other country in Europe.
Well, you yourself said that the UK is still in Europe and retains many shared European concerns. In particular, military and security concerns, especially with what's going on in Ukraine and the soured relationship with Russia. Dreams of a European military force capable of acting independently of America are far more likely if they include the UK. In many ways, brexit or no brexit, the EU and the UK still need each other. And once the rancour of the bitter split has eased and the dust has settled, I foresee a new and more constructive relationship emerging...

This is going off topic a little but as far as Scotland is concerned, it is far from automatic that an independent Scotland would have an easy ride joining the EU. There are a number of other countries in the EU that have their own would-be break away regions that might have their own cause emboldened if the EU was so willing to accept Scotland. Such countries might veto the decision in order to send a message to their own separatist movements.

Furthermore, I don't understand the argument that goes something along the lines that the case for independence is strengthened since they were dragged out of the EU against their population's wishes. That may be true but if leaving the UK and joining the EU would involve adopting the Euro and a hard border with England (and Wales) it seems pretty clear that becoming independent would be far more disruptive than it would have been the last time they had a referendum.
Robert66

Post by Robert66 »

Fried Egg wrote: January 12th, 2023, 8:14 am I'm also not sure whether the British people would (in the near future) accept the conditions of re-entry which would entail loss of sovereignty well beyond what we had lost when we were previously a member. I also wonder whether they would so readily accept a situation in which we would be far bigger net contributors to the EU than we were before?
Fried Egg wrote: January 19th, 2023, 4:21 am Furthermore, I don't understand the argument that goes something along the lines that the case for independence is strengthened since they were dragged out of the EU against their population's wishes. That may be true but if leaving the UK and joining the EU would involve adopting the Euro and a hard border with England (and Wales) it seems pretty clear that becoming independent would be far more disruptive than it would have been the last time they had a referendum.
I'm probably missing the mark here (from halfway around the world, in Australia) but it seems like Britain suffers from an identity crisis. Most people born in Scotland don't refer to themselves as British. I think the same could be said of the Welsh. For the English (and I assume Fried Egg is English, but then again I could be wrong) the use of "English", or "British", or "UK" are freely interchangeable. Perhaps it is just a subtle distinction, however I sense that it is important to perceptions of identity both within and outside Britain. I sense that the English want to have things their way AND insist on a United Kingdom.

According to Fried Egg, it is doubtful the British would accept the loss of sovereignty a return to EU membership would entail, however the reward of sovereignty by becoming independent is not worth the effort for the Scots, what with disruptive issues like currency and borders to deal with. I think if I were Scottish and reading Fried Egg's comments, I would be inclined to "I'll take the hard border and the Euro, and an independent Scotland, you can have Britain".
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Robert66 wrote: January 19th, 2023, 5:27 pm I sense that the English want to have things their way AND insist on a United Kingdom.
That has been the status quo since Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland were conquered, invaded and occupied by the English, centuries ago.
Great Britain is not a country; it’s a landmass. It is known as ‘Great’ because it is the largest island in the British Isles, and houses the countries of England, Scotland, and Wales within its shores. — source
If we want to include Northern Ireland too, then we need to move from "Great Britain" to the "United Kingdom". Whichever one we choose, it is dominated and ruled by England, from the English parliament in England.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Fried Egg

Post by Fried Egg »

Robert66 wrote: January 19th, 2023, 5:27 pm
Fried Egg wrote: January 19th, 2023, 4:21 am Furthermore, I don't understand the argument that goes something along the lines that the case for independence is strengthened since they were dragged out of the EU against their population's wishes. That may be true but if leaving the UK and joining the EU would involve adopting the Euro and a hard border with England (and Wales) it seems pretty clear that becoming independent would be far more disruptive than it would have been the last time they had a referendum.
According to Fried Egg, it is doubtful the British would accept the loss of sovereignty a return to EU membership would entail, however the reward of sovereignty by becoming independent is not worth the effort for the Scots, what with disruptive issues like currency and borders to deal with. I think if I were Scottish and reading Fried Egg's comments, I would be inclined to "I'll take the hard border and the Euro, and an independent Scotland, you can have Britain".
Matters of sovereignty may well outweigh matters of economy in the minds of many with regards to Scottish independence (as may well have been the case with regards to brexit). I make no judgement as to whether they do or don't. I only pointed out that the economic case for Scotland leaving the UK has only weakened since brexit, not strengthened.

However, I wouldn't so lightly dismiss the problems of introducing a hard border between England and Scotland. There are currently tens of thousands of vehicles crossing the England/Scotland border every day (source). Trade with the rest of the UK amounts to around 61% of Scottish exports and 67% of Scottish imports (source). It looks more likely that if Scotland left he UK, it would do better economically retaining a "single market" with the UK rather than joining the EU because the gains of joining the EU would not offset the losses.

Furthermore, the burden of working out how they're going to enforce a customs border with England will fall on Scotland (and will likely need to be fully explained to the EU's satisfaction before being allowed to join). Whether it is even practical to enforce such border controls on what has been an open border for over 300 years is the question. Sure, the SNP will tell you they don't want a hard border but if they're hell bent on joining the EU, they might have no choice.
Pattern-chaser wrote:That has been the status quo since Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland were conquered, invaded and occupied by the English, centuries ago.
That's not true with regards to Scotland which freely chose to be joined to the UK in 1707 with the "acts of union" (it had previously been conquered and gained independence). Ok, Wales was conquered but you're going back to the 13th century. While they both maintain their own sense of identity within the UK, I don't think there's anything particularly unique here when compared to other countries throughout Europe that did not exist centuries ago in the form they do today and that have within their borders peoples with their own distinct identities (and their own separatist movements). I don't think there's any reason to single out the UK in this regard.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser wrote:That has been the status quo since Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland were conquered, invaded and occupied by the English, centuries ago.
Fried Egg wrote: January 21st, 2023, 10:47 am That's not true with regards to Scotland which freely chose to be joined to the UK in 1707 with the "acts of union" (it had previously been conquered and gained independence). Ok, Wales was conquered but you're going back to the 13th century. While they both maintain their own sense of identity within the UK, I don't think there's anything particularly unique here when compared to other countries throughout Europe that did not exist centuries ago in the form they do today and that have within their borders peoples with their own distinct identities (and their own separatist movements). I don't think there's any reason to single out the UK in this regard.
I agree there's no reason to think the UK is any different to other modern countries, but I don't think that impacts at all on what I said.

Also, I'm not sure quite how much of a "free" choice the Scots had, but I'm not a student of history, and won't pursue this particular point; I've been wrong before... 😉
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Fried Egg

Post by Fried Egg »

Fair enough, I'm no student of history either.

My feeling is that, after so many years, however the union of the kingdom might have come about in the first place, we've lived in peace and (relative) harmony for so many years that the tumultuous nature of how we originally came together is kind of water under the bridge. For all there is that separates us, there is so much more that we have in common. Quite different, I feel, to the UK leaving the EU.

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream