Does Society Need Prisons?

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
Robert66

Re: Does Society Need Prisons?

Post by Robert66 »

Pattern-chaser wrote: June 17th, 2022, 8:03 am
Robert66 wrote: June 15th, 2022, 7:33 pm Elsewhere Pattern-chaser has stated that a justice system which convicts innocent people is untrustworthy. I disagree.
Pattern-chaser wrote: June 16th, 2022, 9:14 am I think you are applying binary thinking where a more nuanced approach might prove more constructive and useful. My statements were never intended to be interpreted in such a binary fashion, in such a nuanced subject. The threshold between 'trustworthy' and 'untrustworthy' is a grey area, a spectrum, if you will, and not an 'if you're not with us, you're against us' playground argument.
Robert66 wrote: June 16th, 2022, 3:13 pm If you wished to avoid a "binary" interpretation, why state 'A legal system that sometimes punishes the innocent is not trustworthy'?
I was using my language, as I thought, in a non-binary fashion. But we are so used to binary thinking, we tend to interpret what is written in that light. I apologise for my lack of clarity.
That's nice, Pattern-chaser.

I have actually been trying to explore the nuance in this subject matter, which is why I dwelt on your (arguably binary) statement.
Robert66

Post by Robert66 »

Sculptor1 wrote: June 16th, 2022, 4:28 pm Where justice systems exist, the natural and sensible default position is to consider them as untrustworthy.
And anyone who has had the misfortune to have direct contact even with the world's most "trusted" systems will know that the only way to get on with them is to treat them with utter caution.
"Never say anything to the police".

The police are not there to deliver justice, but to get a collar. It does not matter your guilt or innocence. You will find yourself in the dock for one reason only; if they think they can convict.
If you are poor, you will have to struggle with defence, and have a very small chance to keep your liberty.
If you are rich then you have a good chance to get off even if guilty.
Some will "naturally" trust no one. How sensible though if we all adopted such a default position? I prefer not to live in the kind of world described by Hobbes, and while I know there are bad actors in every human sphere, I trust that most police are concerned with justice, and do find the determination of guilt or innocence a matter of prime importance.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Robert66 wrote: June 17th, 2022, 5:25 pm
Sculptor1 wrote: June 16th, 2022, 4:28 pm Where justice systems exist, the natural and sensible default position is to consider them as untrustworthy.
And anyone who has had the misfortune to have direct contact even with the world's most "trusted" systems will know that the only way to get on with them is to treat them with utter caution.

The police are not there to deliver justice, but to get a collar. It does not matter your guilt or innocence. You will find yourself in the dock for one reason only; if they think they can convict.
If you are poor, you will have to struggle with defence, and have a very small chance to keep your liberty.
Some will "naturally" trust no one. How sensible though if we all adopted such a default position?
I can assure you that people who love liberty, do in fact adopt exactly that position.
People in gaol, many of whom are innocent did not know how it works
I prefer not to live in the kind of world described by Hobbes, and while I know there are bad actors in every human sphere, I trust that most police are concerned with justice, and do find the determination of guilt or innocence a matter of prime importance.
Your view of Hobbes is wrong like so many people who have not actually studied him.
It was his view that the Leviathan ought to provide all with the necessities of life before "it" had the right to expect compliance from the social contract.
And your view of the police is naive to say the least.
I assume you are not black or Irish.
Robert66

Post by Robert66 »

Sculptor1 wrote: June 17th, 2022, 5:41 pm

Some will "naturally" trust no one. How sensible though if we all adopted such a default position?
I can assure you that people who love liberty, do in fact adopt exactly that position.
I prefer not to live in the kind of world described by Hobbes, and while I know there are bad actors in every human sphere, I trust that most police are concerned with justice, and do find the determination of guilt or innocence a matter of prime importance.
Your view of Hobbes is wrong like so many people who have not actually studied him.
It was his view that the Leviathan ought to provide all with the necessities of life before "it" had the right to expect compliance from the social contract.
I do love liberty, but do not find it natural to trust no one.

Not talking about my view of Hobbes, just referring to the kind of world he described.

I am cautious, not naive, still I allow that most police, like most people, are interested in right or wrong, not just a collar.

Not black, but I do have Irish ancestors, including a couple who were transported to Australia, and who probably had similar views to yours about police and justice. Thankfully things have changed, and thankfully I do not live in England.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Robert66 wrote: June 17th, 2022, 5:58 pm
Sculptor1 wrote: June 17th, 2022, 5:41 pm

I do love liberty, but do not find it natural to trust no one.
Don't descend to a straw man immediately. Do not trust the police is what I am talking about.
Strangers should be trusted with some reserve. But generally most people can be trusted with minor things.

Not talking about my view of Hobbes, just referring to the kind of world he described.
You mean "nasty brutish and short", which is what everyone thinks they know about Hobbes. This is a place of imagination which he never seriously proposed exists anywhere.

I am cautious, not naive, still I allow that most police, like most people, are interested in right or wrong, not just a collar.
Define "most"

Not black, but I do have Irish ancestors, including a couple who were transported to Australia, and who probably had similar views to yours about police and justice. Thankfully things have changed, and thankfully I do not live in England.
[/quote]

I've lived in the UK and the US. Police in the UK are far more polite, helpful and trustworthy, than the US cops.
Also they do not tend to shoot you - not even accidentally. I would never go back to the US.

Being Irish in the 1970s when bombs were being let off all over the place led to a series of false convictions.
When you learn about them is that the police had convinced themselves. And THAT is the danger. They were "doing there job", most of them interested in right and wrong but pressured to get a collar as every police is.
Robert66

Post by Robert66 »

Sculptor1 wrote: June 18th, 2022, 6:48 am Don't descend to a straw man immediately. Do not trust the police is what I am talking about.
More than 100,000 police in England, recruited from the general population (not bred in test tubes in a sinister policemaking laboratory), and none can be trusted? I disagree.
Sculptor1 wrote: June 18th, 2022, 6:48 am You mean "nasty brutish and short", which is what everyone thinks they know about Hobbes.
You think you are the only one who has read Hobbes. I note you knew exactly the part I was referring to, so my shorthand worked.
Sculptor1 wrote: June 18th, 2022, 6:48 am Define "most"
More than 50%.
Sculptor1 wrote: June 18th, 2022, 6:48 am When you learn about them is that the police had convinced themselves. And THAT is the danger.
A sentence which makes no sense is the danger? Or a capitalised word is the danger?
Sculptor1 wrote: June 18th, 2022, 6:48 am They were "doing there job", most of them interested in right and wrong but pressured to get a collar as every police is.
All of them succumb to pressure and shelve their interest in right or wrong - is that it? Don't ride on a bus, because all bus drivers are pressured to keep to the timetable, and they throw the rule book out the window, and forget all about safety.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Sculptor1 wrote: June 18th, 2022, 6:48 am Don't descend to a straw man immediately. Do not trust the police is what I am talking about.
Robert66 wrote: June 18th, 2022, 3:30 pm More than 100,000 police in England, recruited from the general population (not bred in test tubes in a sinister policemaking laboratory), and none can be trusted? I disagree.
This is what you did to my posts. That "the police" are not trustworthy is a general claim. One policeman who is trustworthy does not make the claim false or wrong. Even 10 would only be 1 in 10,000, and probably would not invalidate the claim, depending. Yes: "depending", because general claims or statements are intentionally vague.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Robert66

Post by Robert66 »

Pattern-chaser wrote: June 18th, 2022, 4:33 pm
Robert66 wrote: June 18th, 2022, 3:30 pm More than 100,000 police in England, recruited from the general population (not bred in test tubes in a sinister policemaking laboratory), and none can be trusted? I disagree.
This is what you did to my posts. That "the police" are not trustworthy is a general claim. One policeman who is trustworthy does not make the claim false or wrong. Even 10 would only be 1 in 10,000, and probably would not invalidate the claim, depending. Yes: "depending", because general claims or statements are intentionally vague.
Such a general claim serves no good purpose. Not "calling it out" allows its negative purpose, to reinforce distrust of the police, to go unchallenged.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Robert66 wrote: June 18th, 2022, 3:30 pm
More than 100,000 police in England, recruited from the general population (not bred in test tubes in a sinister policemaking laboratory), and none can be trusted? I disagree.
Same can be said of the SS of Nazi Germany, and every member of ISIS or the IDL.
You have to ask what sort of people are attracted to the power that the uniform gives them?
What sort of person finds it okay to sign off on loyalty to their own family and sign themselves over to the force?
What sort of person is happy to arrest and truncheon peaceful protestors?
What sort of person uses his uniform to rape and kill vulnerable women?
What sort of person jokingly calls fellow members of his staff "a bit rapey", yet does not see the need to report them to their superior?
What sort of person wants to join up?
Sculptor1 wrote: June 18th, 2022, 6:48 am You mean "nasty brutish and short", which is what everyone thinks they know about Hobbes.
You think you are the only one who has read Hobbes. I note you knew exactly the part I was referring to, so my shorthand worked.
Sculptor1 wrote: June 18th, 2022, 6:48 am Define "most"
More than 50%.
Sculptor1 wrote: June 18th, 2022, 6:48 am When you learn about them is that the police had convinced themselves. And THAT is the danger.
A sentence which makes no sense is the danger? Or a capitalised word is the danger?
Sculptor1 wrote: June 18th, 2022, 6:48 am They were "doing there job", most of them interested in right and wrong but pressured to get a collar as every police is.
All of them succumb to pressure and shelve their interest in right or wrong - is that it? Don't ride on a bus, because all bus drivers are pressured to keep to the timetable, and they throw the rule book out the window, and forget all about safety.
I think your post has descended into incoherence.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Pattern-chaser wrote: June 18th, 2022, 4:33 pm
People talk about a "culture" in the police. It would be the act of a fool to ignore that. Recently in London this has led to some shocking revelations about the corruption and misogyny in the Met, which resulted in women being raped by the people most trusted to keep them save.
And whilst parties run by black people in the city have been fined £1000s for breaching COVID rules, the MET stood-by as No.10 partied every night, tried to cover it up, tried to say that they did not charge retrospectively, then when forced to act, only fined the super rich politicians £50.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser wrote: June 18th, 2022, 4:33 pm This is what you did to my posts. That "the police" are not trustworthy is a general claim. One policeman who is trustworthy does not make the claim false or wrong. Even 10 would only be 1 in 10,000, and probably would not invalidate the claim, depending. Yes: "depending", because general claims or statements are intentionally vague.
Robert66 wrote: June 18th, 2022, 4:44 pm Such a general claim serves no good purpose. Not "calling it out" allows its negative purpose, to reinforce distrust of the police, to go unchallenged.
I don't think it's a "claim", but an opinion. And, if the opinion has any justification, it serves a purpose that many would describe as "good". Again, if the opinion has any justification, then its purpose is not "negative". And, if so, then distrust of the police is rational and reasonable, and your attempts to challenge the distrust is negative.

Trust is hard to earn, and the earning can take a long time. Breaking trust, though, is easy and quick. It only takes a few examples of untrustworthy behaviour before the public trust in the police is compromised. But you know all this. So why do you offer sub-topic-derailing objections to an opinion that clearly has some justification, maybe even enough to warrant that opinion? Is it that you wish to stifle or curtail discussion of such matters?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Robert66

Post by Robert66 »

Do you think if you keep insulting me I will start agreeing with you?
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Robert66 wrote: June 19th, 2022, 4:55 pm Do you think if you keep insulting me I will start agreeing with you?
I do not care if you agree with me.
So seem to be not paying attention to the world around you.
Robert66

Post by Robert66 »

Pattern-chaser: Trust is hard to earn, and the earning can take a long time. Breaking trust, though, is easy and quick.

Sculptor1: Do not trust the police is what I am talking about."Never say anything to the police". The police are not there to deliver justice, but to get a collar. It does not matter your guilt or innocence.

Trust is not hard to earn but impossible to earn if you are the police. Is that the best outcome for society? If police officers are made to feel like the enemy of the public they have sworn to serve and protect, is that problematic?

Does society need police?
Robert66

Post by Robert66 »

Sculptor1 wrote: June 19th, 2022, 5:46 pm
Robert66 wrote: June 19th, 2022, 4:55 pm Do you think if you keep insulting me I will start agreeing with you?
I do not care if you agree with me.
So seem to be not paying attention to the world around you.
I assume you meant "You seem ..." rather than "So seem ...". If that is correct then lucky me I have gathered another insult. If someone pays attention to the world around them (like you do) but reaches a different conclusion, or has a different attitude or opinion, then they must be wrong? My turn to insult: I give you 0 out of 10 for that thinking.

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream