Does Society Need Prisons?

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
GE Morton

Re: Does Society Need Prisons?

Post by GE Morton »

Belindi wrote: January 25th, 2019, 8:00 am
I agree that there are many myths that uphold American society. The myth of America is well expressed in the emotive words of Star Spangled Banner. Another very important myth that upholds American society ( not only American society!)is money which is the myth which upholds the practice of trade. There is also the old Christian myth which we are informed is strongly adhered to by many people in America and, in America especially , is allied to the myth of money.
Well, I'm not sure any of those myths "uphold" society, in the sense that the society would dissolve without them. Humans remain in social settings for quite pragmatic reasons, which are pretty constant regardless of the myths embraced by various groups of members.

Nor am I sure what you mean by the "myth" of money. I understand a "myth" to be a persisting set of beliefs not supported by evidence. What beliefs about money do you think are unsupported by evidence?
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

GE Morton wrote: January 25th, 2019, 1:26 pm
Belindi wrote: January 25th, 2019, 8:00 am
I agree that there are many myths that uphold American society. The myth of America is well expressed in the emotive words of Star Spangled Banner. Another very important myth that upholds American society ( not only American society!)is money which is the myth which upholds the practice of trade. There is also the old Christian myth which we are informed is strongly adhered to by many people in America and, in America especially , is allied to the myth of money.
Well, I'm not sure any of those myths "uphold" society, in the sense that the society would dissolve without them. Humans remain in social settings for quite pragmatic reasons, which are pretty constant regardless of the myths embraced by various groups of members.

Nor am I sure what you mean by the "myth" of money. I understand a "myth" to be a persisting set of beliefs not supported by evidence. What beliefs about money do you think are unsupported by evidence?
A piece of printed paper or plastic is worth goods is an insupportable belief unless everybody believes the fiction that it's worth something.
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Belindi wrote: January 25th, 2019, 2:42 pm
A piece of printed paper or plastic is worth goods is an insupportable belief unless everybody believes the fiction that it's worth something.
That belief is not a fiction if the evidence supports it. And there is ample evidence that, say, a $5 bill is worth a burger and fries --- you can exchange it for those goods at any MacDonald's, or anyplace else that serves those items.

You seem to think that because currency has no intrinsic utility, the belief that it has value is a fiction. But it isn't. Things can have value for more than one reason. While currency has no intrinsic value, it can have exchange value, and the evidence that it has that value is unquestionable.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

GE Morton wrote: January 25th, 2019, 4:38 pm
Belindi wrote: January 25th, 2019, 2:42 pm
That belief is not a fiction if the evidence supports it. And there is ample evidence that, say, a $5 bill is worth a burger and fries --- you can exchange it for those goods at any MacDonald's, or anyplace else that serves those items.

You seem to think that because currency has no intrinsic utility, the belief that it has value is a fiction. But it isn't. Things can have value for more than one reason. While currency has no intrinsic value, it can have exchange value, and the evidence that it has that value is unquestionable.

I use 'fiction' to mean , not a story that isn't true, but 'fiction' as in a story that communicates cultural values.
h_k_s
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle

Post by h_k_s »

UchihaSasuke wrote: January 14th, 2019, 5:53 am
Scott wrote: February 28th, 2008, 4:09 am [The following topic is featured as a leadup to the May philosophy book of the month discussion of Holding Fire.]

by Scott Hughes

Millions of people in the world currently rot in jails or prisons. People think of jails and prisons as an essential part of society, but do we really need them? Do prisons really protect people from violence and victimization, or do prisons just make matters worse? Let's look at the different types of criminals that governments throw in prison.

Non-violent non-victimizers - Governments have a tendency to criminalize behaviors that do not hurt anyone. The governments create victimless crimes by creating authoritarian laws. When people break these laws, they have not hurt anyone in any major way. These laws can include any laws outlawing victimless behaviors, such as drug possession, prostitution, peacefully practicing a religion, and so on and so forth. For example, the United States currently has over 1 million people behind bars for victimless crimes, which only limits freedom and does not protect others. Instead of putting these non-violent people in jail or prison, we can just let them go and legalize all victimless behaviors. It makes more sense to let people have freedom than to waste resources enforcing authoritarian laws.

Incidental Criminals – Some people may commit an illegal act of violence or victimization due to external conditions. We can refer to these people as incidental criminals. These 'incidental criminals' do not have any more of a tendency to hurt others than the average person. For example, consider someone who has to steal to feed his family one day. Almost anyone would do that, so it does not mean we need to throw the person in jail or prison. If we can change the conditions that cause a normal person to commit a crime, then we can do that rather than brutally lock a person in a cell. We have no need to throw a person in jail or prison if they pose no more danger than the average person but committed a one-time crime due to external circumstances.

Mentally Sick People - Finally, we have sick people. These people have some sort of mental defect that makes them a danger to other people. If we do not restrain these people, they will victimize other people. So we must restrain them. But why put them in jail or prison? They need treatment, and prison will not cure them; it will just torture them. If we put them in jail or prison, then we can never let them out because jail or prison will not cure them. If we put them into a treatment facility, then we may successfully treat or cure some of them, at which point we can safely release those ones back into society. We will protect more people by putting mentally sick people into treatment centers (including insane asylums), then by throwing them in jail or prison. These people need professional care in a medical establishment, not the punishment of prison.

I think most people feel like me in that I would prefer to protect people and to do it in as least brutal a way as possible. I have no interest in using the force of government to pointlessly get vengeance or inflict punishment using prisons. Thus, I see no need for prisons. We can release people who have no psychological defect that makes them dangerous, and we can put the ones with psychological defects in treatment. Let's base our policies on sympathy, understanding, and a desire to protect people. Let's not base policy on a wasteful indulgence in state-sanctioned vengeance.

About the author: Scott Hughes manages the Philosophy Forums, which contain a Philosophy of Politics Forum. You can use the forums to discuss topics such as this and more.

What do you think? Do you think society needs prisons? Why or why not?

1. What do you suggest for the criminals who do not belong to any of the categories discussed?
e.g. Hidan is a sane man who kills people regularly for sacrifices to the Lord Jashin of the Jashin religion he follows.

He definitely is not a non-violent non-victimizer type.
He can't be an incidental criminal because his crimes are not infrequent and are not instigated by any external factors but his own religious beliefs.
He doesn't have any kind of psychiatric disorder or psychological problem that modifies his behaviour. He just has a perspective that is radically different from the common people in the most fundamental aspects. The difference in views is no mental defect.
And even if he is put in a compassionate treatment facility, then what would be the purpose of the treatment he gets? Would it be to change his religious beliefs or something?

2. We are well aware that human acts are often driven by motivation. An integral factor of motivation is fear. Mostly, crimes are temptations that people fall into. Be it a temptation to reach earlier by overspeeding, a temptation to earn quick money by scamming etc. But still most of the people are not criminals, i.e., they do not fall into the temptations being driven by a fear of prison. If there are no prisons, it ends the fear of consequences from minds. Plus, if committing a crime means going to a place where one will be treated with compassion and professional care, it could even have the reverse motivational effects as not many people have the things that you could get in a medical facility.
Scot asks some very thought provoking questions at times and this one although simplistic (perhaps for the benefit of our simplistic minds) is one. So with that in mind let's go ahead and resurrect this thread then.

Anytime you have 3 or more people together you are going to need government and politics.

And where there is government and politics there further needs to be laws.

Since any of the two individuals in our hypothetical example can overpower the third, their actions must be somehow restrained by a Constitution and a Code.

To enforce laws there needs to be justice and punishments.

What the punishments are depends on the choices that at least 2 of the 3 of them agree on.

A prison system is simply a manner of confinement. The confinement becomes the punishment.

So to cut to the chase, as British fox hunters would say, your punishment system can be whatever you agree on, whether prisons or some other form of punishment.

A cage system for these 3 isolated people with deprivation to the extent it can be borne sounds fair to me.

Banishment is the ultimate punishment. That is what the ancient Greeks and the pre-modern British used to use. That works too.
whitetrshsoldier
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Frederic Bastiat

Post by whitetrshsoldier »

Certainly violent offenders must be restrained. I can agree to no jail time for incidental crimes (petty theft for instance), and I can agree that the truly mentally ill should be treated instead of imprisoned. But there must be consequences for violence against others. Depriving another of one of their rights means we deprive you of yours. You sacrifice your right to liberty when you stifle the liberty of another.
"I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings! I'm obviously just insecure with the ineptitudes of my logic and rational faculties. Forgive me - I'm a "lost soul", blinded by my "ignorant belief" that there's such a thing as reality and truth in the world"
UchihaSasuke
New Trial Member

Post by UchihaSasuke »

h_k_s wrote: January 28th, 2019, 11:55 pm
UchihaSasuke wrote: January 14th, 2019, 5:53 am

1. What do you suggest for the criminals who do not belong to any of the categories discussed?
e.g. Hidan is a sane man who kills people regularly for sacrifices to the Lord Jashin of the Jashin religion he follows.

He definitely is not a non-violent non-victimizer type.
He can't be an incidental criminal because his crimes are not infrequent and are not instigated by any external factors but his own religious beliefs.
He doesn't have any kind of psychiatric disorder or psychological problem that modifies his behaviour. He just has a perspective that is radically different from the common people in the most fundamental aspects. The difference in views is no mental defect.
And even if he is put in a compassionate treatment facility, then what would be the purpose of the treatment he gets? Would it be to change his religious beliefs or something?

2. We are well aware that human acts are often driven by motivation. An integral factor of motivation is fear. Mostly, crimes are temptations that people fall into. Be it a temptation to reach earlier by overspeeding, a temptation to earn quick money by scamming etc. But still most of the people are not criminals, i.e., they do not fall into the temptations being driven by a fear of prison. If there are no prisons, it ends the fear of consequences from minds. Plus, if committing a crime means going to a place where one will be treated with compassion and professional care, it could even have the reverse motivational effects as not many people have the things that you could get in a medical facility.
Scot asks some very thought provoking questions at times and this one although simplistic (perhaps for the benefit of our simplistic minds) is one. So with that in mind let's go ahead and resurrect this thread then.

Anytime you have 3 or more people together you are going to need government and politics.

Since any of the two individuals in our hypothetical example can overpower the third, their actions must be somehow restrained by a Constitution and a Code.

What the punishments are depends on the choices that at least 2 of the 3 of them agree on.

A prison system is simply a manner of confinement. The confinement becomes the punishment.

So to cut to the chase, as British fox hunters would say, your punishment system can be whatever you agree on, whether prisons or some other form of punishment.

A cage system for these 3 isolated people with deprivation to the extent it can be borne sounds fair to me.

Banishment is the ultimate punishment. That is what the ancient Greeks and the pre-modern British used to use. That works too.

You seem to have answered the second question in my post. The mutually agreed form of punishment e.g.confinement seems an example of just law in the ideal case of the small group of people, But opposed to it the prison system(or the alternative mentioned by Scott) are applied and to be applied on a relatively humongous population, and not all of the lawbreakers are likely to have a problem with confinement till their basic requirements of food, hygiene etc are fulfilled. Added to that, they are going to be treated with utmost care and dignity in the "compassionate treatment facility", which is a lot more than what many lawbreakers have access to on the outside. So, what I question is, will these kind of facilities not motivate people to break laws instead of follow them, the ones who don't have a problem with 'privileged confinement' at least?
h_k_s

Post by h_k_s »

UchihaSasuke wrote: March 25th, 2019, 5:19 am

You seem to have answered the second question in my post. The mutually agreed form of punishment e.g.confinement seems an example of just law in the ideal case of the small group of people, But opposed to it the prison system(or the alternative mentioned by Scott) are applied and to be applied on a relatively humongous population, and not all of the lawbreakers are likely to have a problem with confinement till their basic requirements of food, hygiene etc are fulfilled. Added to that, they are going to be treated with utmost care and dignity in the "compassionate treatment facility", which is a lot more than what many lawbreakers have access to on the outside. So, what I question is, will these kind of facilities not motivate people to break laws instead of follow them, the ones who don't have a problem with 'privileged confinement' at least?
I think you just "put words in my mouth" -- in other words claimed that I said something that I did not say. That is sophism. Congrats. You are apparently a Sophist.

Confinement in general is definitely NOT a good law for small groups. This is because to confine someone draws away from the scarce resourced of the group.

For a small group, public shackling of some kind for public shame requires much less resources.

Confinement only works when a group has gained enough size to have enough surplusage to fund a place of confinement and to staff it full time on 3 shifts. With 1 day off that requires 4 full time officers.
h_k_s

Post by h_k_s »

UchihaSasuke wrote: March 25th, 2019, 5:19 am

If you have ever visited a real prison such as with a church group, or if you have seen the documentaries on TV currently, you would see that modern American prisons are Hell on Earth.

While some ex-con's do want to go back to prison, most convicts want to be released.
UchihaSasuke
New Trial Member

Post by UchihaSasuke »

h_k_s wrote: March 26th, 2019, 9:14 am
If you have ever visited a real prison such as with a church group, or if you have seen the documentaries on TV currently, you would see that modern American prisons are Hell on Earth.

While some ex-con's do want to go back to prison, most convicts want to be released.

Very true. And therefore, the current system does not encourage the general convict to commit crimes and visit prison again. What I suspect is that if the current system is replaced by the "compassionate treatment facilities" as described by Scott where convicts are treated with professional care and do not have to earn the resources spent on them, then it might encourage convicts rather than dissuade them from visiting prisons on a regular basis. Do let me know what you think.

I also apologize if I misinterpreted your previous post.

-Sasuke
h_k_s

Post by h_k_s »

UchihaSasuke wrote: March 26th, 2019, 12:51 pm
h_k_s wrote: March 26th, 2019, 9:14 am

Very true. And therefore, the current system does not encourage the general convict to commit crimes and visit prison again. What I suspect is that if the current system is replaced by the "compassionate treatment facilities" as described by @Scott where convicts are treated with professional care and do not have to earn the resources spent on them, then it might encourage convicts rather than dissuade them from visiting prisons on a regular basis. Do let me know what you think.

I also apologize if I misinterpreted your previous post.

-Sasuke
The Europeans handle their prison populations with a lot more professionalism than we in the USA does, from my reading.

And their sentences in some countries are maxed at 20 years. The Norwegian mass murderer comes to mind. In the USA he would have gotten a death sentence with decades of appeals before final execution.

Someone needs to find some stat's on recidivism in the USA and in Europe to be able to compare.

That way we are not just speculating.

Speculation is only the starting point. Then you need to gather data.

Speculation is philosophy. Data gathering is science. Believing what you find out is religion.
Darshan

Post by Darshan »

Earthellism states we need more prisons and mandatory death penalties. The reason is that here on earthell we live among human devils who enjoy torturing and killing human beings. We are all born as innocent human beings who are open-minded about the existence of God, a human soul and Hell. As we grow-up we learn about God and Hell and the human soul and can chose to believe in them. Many of us chose not to believe in a God and in a human soul and in a Hell and fit the trifecta of Evil. These human devils here on earthell now prey on human devils and torture and kill. We need more prisons for these human devils. More importantly our legal system cannot properly handle mass-murderers who should receive a mandatory death penalty. Placing mass-murderers in prison after they kill is NOT punishment because they get their 15 minutes of fame while they are alive. Prison for human devils who commit mass-murders is too good for them and they should qualify for a mandatory death penalty.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Scott wrote: February 28th, 2008, 4:09 am [The following topic is featured as a leadup to the May philosophy book of the month discussion of Holding Fire.]

by Scott Hughes
[...]
Non-violent non-victimizers...
Incidental Criminals...
Mentally Sick People...
I wonder why, instead of listing types of prisoners, you didn't consider the various reasons why society might place one of its members in jail? Revenge, rehabilitation, protection of the public, etc. Without clarity on why people are imprisoned, I don't think we can decide if society needs prisons, can we?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Pattern-chaser wrote: November 15th, 2019, 9:06 am

by Scott Hughes
[...]
Non-violent non-victimizers...
Incidental Criminals...
Mentally Sick People...
I wonder why, instead of listing types of prisoners, you didn't consider the various reasons why society might place one of its members in jail? Revenge, rehabilitation, protection of the public, etc. Without clarity on why people are imprisoned, I don't think we can decide if society needs prisons, can we?
Good point. Similarly, the issue is not prisons: yes or no? It is: prisons or what?
"As usual... it depends."
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

LuckyR wrote: November 15th, 2019, 12:11 pm
Pattern-chaser wrote: November 15th, 2019, 9:06 am

Good point. Similarly, the issue is not prisons: yes or no? It is: prisons or what?
Yes, indeed it is. There are many examples of countries where solutions other than imprisonment seem to work better in practice. Shouldn't we, who imprison so many of our citizens, look at the evidence-based achievements of others? And shouldn't we be trying out, or just adopting, those methods that work the best?

We could even take another step back, and wonder about our laws, and how we determine our actions if our laws are broken? A simple example: is it appropriate to imprison, or even punish, those who smoke weed? Never mind the actual issue; just consider whether what we currently do benefits our society? Could we act differently, and gain greater benefit still? 🤔
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream