Does Society Need Prisons?

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
GE Morton

Re: Does Society Need Prisons?

Post by GE Morton »

LuckyR wrote: February 25th, 2021, 3:13 am
So your experience is that the wealthy with their legal teams tend to get more draconian sentancing than the rabble?
I didn't say that. Nor have I seen any data which would support an answer to that question. While sentences for the wealthy tend to be less draconian than those for "the rabble," the former's crimes tend to be generally considered less serious, i.e., they commit few murders, rapes, aggravated assaults; etc. Do you have some data on sentencing disparities between "the poor" and "the rich" for comparable crimes?
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

GE Morton wrote: March 20th, 2021, 11:19 pm
LuckyR wrote: February 25th, 2021, 3:13 am
So your experience is that the wealthy with their legal teams tend to get more draconian sentancing than the rabble?
I didn't say that. Nor have I seen any data which would support an answer to that question. While sentences for the wealthy tend to be less draconian than those for "the rabble," the former's crimes tend to be generally considered less serious, i.e., they commit few murders, rapes, aggravated assaults; etc. Do you have some data on sentencing disparities between "the poor" and "the rich" for comparable crimes?
The literature is less robust than that for racial differences in sentancing but it does exist.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 5293900069
"As usual... it depends."
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

There are some crimes so heinous, and criminals so dangerous that a choice not to have prisons would have to include a choice to implement capital punishment.

Since I am not willing to accept that step, the necessity of incarceration is required.

That prisons could be more useful, practical, and effective is another question.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

GE Morton wrote: March 20th, 2021, 11:09 pm I take the thrust of the OP's question to be whether prisons are necessary at all, not why the present system exists as it does. I think the answer to the latter question is, because we don't understand the purpose that system purports to serve.

Yes. I think perhaps the answer to the "latter question" is that there are quite a few possible purposes for imprisonment, but we have not discussed or agreed which of them our prisons should satisfy. Possible purposes include: punishment, deterrence, isolation (from the general population), rehabilitation, protection, re-education, and so on. Until we are clear what the purpose of prisons is, we can reach no conclusions as to whether we "need" them, as the OP asks.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Pattern-chaser wrote: March 21st, 2021, 12:08 pm
Yes. I think perhaps the answer to the "latter question" is that there are quite a few possible purposes for imprisonment, but we have not discussed or agreed which of them our prisons should satisfy. Possible purposes include: punishment, deterrence, isolation (from the general population), rehabilitation, protection, re-education, and so on. Until we are clear what the purpose of prisons is, we can reach no conclusions as to whether we "need" them, as the OP asks.
The answer as to the purpose of prisons depends on the answer to a broader question: What is the purpose of the criminal justice system as a whole, including criminal laws, police, criminal courts, and prisons?

I take that answer to be, to protect the citizens from the depredations of criminals, and secure justice for the victims of crimes. If that is so, then the purpose of prisons is obvious --- they are places where persons who habitually and intentionally inflict harms and losses on others can be kept away from their victim pool, and can be forced to work to make restitution for the damages they've inflicted. Any other suggested purpose is secondary, if not superfluous.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

Here is what the Wikipedia page you provided says:
In 2016, there were an estimated 1.2 million violent crimes committed in the United States.[37] Over the course of that year, U.S. law enforcement agencies made approximately 10.7 million arrests, excluding arrests for traffic violations.[37] In that year, approximately 2.3 million people were incarcerated in jail or prison.

[...]

In 2002 (latest available data by type of offense), 21.6% of convicted inmates in jails were in prison for violent crimes. Among unconvicted inmates in jails in 2002, 34% had a violent offense as the most serious charge. 41% percent of convicted and unconvicted jail inmates in 2002 had a current or prior violent offense.
Takeaways:

It appears the number of arrests in the USA is more than 10x the number of violent crimes committed, even excluding traffic violations.

Only 21.6% of convicted inmates in the USA are charged with violent crimes.

That means 78.4% (over 3/4th) are non-violent.

That gives us an answer for #1 and #2 of my requested stats:
Scott wrote: March 18th, 2021, 8:11 pm

1. percentage of inmates in USA who are charged or convicted of a violent crime (i.e. violent offenders)

2. percentage of inmates in the USA who are not charge with or convicted of a violent crime (i.e. non-violent offenders)

3. percentage of inmates who are "victimizers", according to your definition of victimization, but not violent (i.e. non-violent victimizers)

If you do not mind, please provide all three percentages with sources.

In theory, #1 and #2 need to equal 100%, and #3 needs to be less than #2 since #3 is a subset of #2.
#1 (violent offenders) is 21.6%.

#2 (non-violent offenders) is 78.4%.

Do you know what #3 is?

We can say for certain #3 must be less than #2, since #3 is a subset of #2.

Scott wrote: March 18th, 2021, 8:11 pm I am not a leftist, but as I wrote in my topic Man Is Not Fit to Govern Man, I think the idea of a benevolent dictator (or worse a mob of humans acting together as a big government) is a pipe dream.
GE Morton wrote: March 20th, 2021, 11:09 pm I have much sympathy for that view. Unfortunately, there is no one to whom we can turn to govern us other than ourselves.
I eagerly agree if you remove the word "unfortunately".

In line with my topic, My Philosophy of Non-Violence, Self-Government, Self-Discipline, and Spiritual Freedom, I would phrase your agreeable sentiment as this: Luckily, self-government (a.k.a. political freedom) exists as the antithesis to its horrible opposite.

Scott wrote: March 18th, 2021, 8:11 pmI am not a leftist, but I believe it is very clear that the political system and government in the United States is plutocratic, violently so of course. Do you not agree?
GE Morton wrote: March 20th, 2021, 11:09 pm Plutocratic? No.
I don't think I've ever met a person, including elected officials themselves, who doesn't think money (most notably in the form of campaign contributions) has way too much influence in the political system in the USA. I mean that with utmost respect. I am eager to learn about new different viewpoints.

Before I get too excited, let me make sure I am understanding correctly (which is never a safe assumption) and that you do have as unusual a view as it initially seems. To be clear, you are saying you don't think the members of Congress are generally all sell outs; is that right? To be clear, you are saying you don't think campaign financing plays a major role in who gets elected and who doesn't; is that right? To be clear, when it comes to voting on bills and making similar political decisions, you don't think members of Congress significantly cater to their campaign donors and the aims of paid lobbyists; is that right?

On a scale of 0-10, 10 being the most, to what degree do you think the average elected member of Congress is influenced by special interests through any financial mechanism such as but not limited to paid lobbying, campaign contributions, kickbacks, or bribes?

On a scale of 0-10, 10 being the most, in terms of honesty and immunity to self-serving greed, how fit do you think average currently serving member of Congress is to fill the aforementioned role of benevolent dictator?

Also, if money plays only a minor role in politics, then why is so much money (literally $10+ billion per year in the USA alone) spent on it? Are the campaign financiers just foolishly wasting their money? For example, is every company on this list just stupid? Or are the billions they spend to manipulate the system each year worth it?

GE Morton wrote: March 20th, 2021, 11:09 pm
1. Are you asking a descriptive scientific question about why the status quo happens to be the way it is (i.e. why prisons happen to exist at the moment), which would be analogous to Frederick Douglass asking why slavery exists while he is escaping?
No. I take the answer to that question to be obvious. They exist because they are widely thought to be necessary.
2. Or are you asking a philosophically hypothetical question (with potentially prescriptive answers) about why you and I might want something (in this case prisons) to exist or not, which would be analogous to Frederick Douglass asking himself if and why he might want (or not want) slavery to exist at all in some hypothetical future or hypothetical alternative reality?
I'm not asking that question either. Nor was the OP.
I am the OP.

GE Morton wrote: March 20th, 2021, 11:09 pm His question did not inquire about anyone's wants; he asked whether prisons are needed.
Needs only have value in relation to wants, such that X is needed for Y.

I need oxygen to live. If I don't want to live, the would-be need is moot.

I need tickets to get in the concert. If I don't want to get in the concert, the would-be need is moot.

GE Morton wrote: March 20th, 2021, 11:09 pm I take the answer to the latter to also be obvious --- as long as there are persons who victimize others, then some means of removing those persons from the society will be needed.
I agree. Thus, I support forcefully putting people who have some kind of psychological abnormality making them significantly more prone to committing victimization (e.g. serial killers, violent schizophrenics, etc.) into humane mental health asylums where they get humane medical treatment within reason, even if for many it is comfort measures only until they comfortably die from old age. As for the question in the OP, I do not include such humane mental health institutionalization under the label 'prisons'.

One thing I believe that you and I both want is to protect people from non-defensive violence and victimization.

Prisons are not needed for that.

As far as I can tell, there is nothing that I want done for which prisons are needed.

Thus, for me from my perspective, prisons are neither needed nor wanted.
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Scott wrote: March 21st, 2021, 7:02 pm
Here is what the Wikipedia page you provided says:
In 2016, there were an estimated 1.2 million violent crimes committed in the United States.[37] Over the course of that year, U.S. law enforcement agencies made approximately 10.7 million arrests, excluding arrests for traffic violations.[37] In that year, approximately 2.3 million people were incarcerated in jail or prison.

[...]

In 2002 (latest available data by type of offense), 21.6% of convicted inmates in jails were in prison for violent crimes. Among unconvicted inmates in jails in 2002, 34% had a violent offense as the most serious charge. 41% percent of convicted and unconvicted jail inmates in 2002 had a current or prior violent offense.
Takeaways:

It appears the number of arrests in the USA is more than 10x the number of violent crimes committed, even excluding traffic violations.

Only 21.6% of convicted inmates in the USA are charged with violent crimes.

That means 78.4% (over 3/4th) are non-violent.
That's the wrong takeaway. You're citing the offense breakdown for persons in local jails. It's true that most of those inmates will not have been arrested for a violent crime --- most of them will have been arrested for a property crime, such as burglary, shoplifting, trespassing, vandalism, larceny, auto theft, and several others. All of those offenders are "victimizers." Most of them will be multiple repeat offenders and will serve minimal sentences, whereupon they'll be released to continue their depredations, which they reliably will do.

This table breaks down local jail inmates as follows:

Violent: 29%

Property: 25%

Drugs: 25%

Public Order: 21%

https://www.prisonpolicy.org/reports/pie2020.html

Some public order offenses (e.g., DUI, disorderly conduct) involve victims; others (e.g., prostitution) do not. So again, lacking further breakdown, we can guess that half of these crimes involve victims. So the majority of non-violent jail inmates are still "victimizers."

The correct takeaway is, that the system is wholly ineffective in protecting its citizens from property offenders. I gave you the statistics for state prison inmates --- 55% are serving time for violent offenses. Property crimes far outnumber violent crimes. If the system were working properly, property offenders should substantially outnumber violent offenders in state prisons.

The upshot, of course, is that many more people, not fewer, should be in prisons.
That gives us an answer for #1 and #2 of my requested stats:

1. percentage of inmates in USA who are charged or convicted of a violent crime (i.e. violent offenders)

2. percentage of inmates in the USA who are not charge with or convicted of a violent crime (i.e. non-violent offenders)

3. percentage of inmates who are "victimizers", according to your definition of victimization, but not violent (i.e. non-violent victimizers)

If you do not mind, please provide all three percentages with sources.

In theory, #1 and #2 need to equal 100%, and #3 needs to be less than #2 since #3 is a subset of #2.

#1 (violent offenders) is 21.6%.

#2 (non-violent offenders) is 78.4%.
That is incorrect. Your 21.6% is for inmates in local jails, not "inmates in USA."
GE Morton wrote: March 20th, 2021, 11:09 pm I have much sympathy for that view. Unfortunately, there is no one to whom we can turn to govern us other than ourselves.
I eagerly agree if you remove the word "unfortunately".

In line with my topic, My Philosophy of Non-Violence, Self-Government, Self-Discipline, and Spiritual Freedom, I would phrase your agreeable sentiment as this: Luckily, self-government (a.k.a. political freedom) exists as the antithesis to its horrible opposite.
Are you there equating "self-government" with anarchy?
I don't think I've ever met a person, including elected officials themselves, who doesn't think money (most notably in the form of campaign contributions) has way too much influence in the political system in the USA. I mean that with utmost respect. I am eager to learn about new different viewpoints.
I think its influence is nil. Which is not to say it irrelevant. Money is necessary to put one's message before voters. It has nothing to do with how voters respond to those messages.
To be clear, you are saying you don't think the members of Congress are generally all sell outs; is that right? To be clear, you are saying you don't think campaign financing plays a major role in who gets elected and who doesn't; is that right? To be clear, when it comes to voting on bills and making similar political decisions, you don't think members of Congress significantly cater to their campaign donors and the aims of paid lobbyists; is that right?
If by "sell-outs," you mean accepting bribes, then no, I don't think most of them do that. Nor will most of them cater to the interests of a fat-cat donor if they think it will cost them votes. If they think voters will be indifferent on such a question then yes, they may well seek to please that donor. Most of them are populist demagogues, not toadies for "the rich." Demagogues on the Right pander to chauvinism; those on the Left to envy.
On a scale of 0-10, 10 being the most, to what degree do you think the average elected member of Congress is influenced by special interests through any financial mechanism such as but not limited to paid lobbying, campaign contributions, kickbacks, or bribes?
Answered above.
On a scale of 0-10, 10 being the most, in terms of honesty and immunity to self-serving greed, how fit do you think average currently serving member of Congress is to fill the aforementioned role of benevolent dictator?
No person is fit for that role.
Also, if money plays only a minor role in politics, then why is so much money (literally $10+ billion per year in the USA alone) spent on it? Are the campaign financiers just foolishly wasting their money? For example, is every company on this list just stupid? Or are the billions they spend to manipulate the system each year worth it?
I never said money "plays only a minor role" in politics. It plays the same role in politics it plays in advertising --- you can't sell your product if no one knows about it. You have to spend money to bring your product to the public's attention. If you consider a certain political candidate will be supportive of your interests, or at least more supportive than his rivals, you spend money to get his message out. But how voters respond to that message, just as how they respond to your advertising, is beyond your control.
I need tickets to get in the concert. If I don't want to get in the concert, the would-be need is moot.
Correct. We need prisons if we wish not to be victims of robbers, rapists, thieves, swindlers, and murders.
I agree. Thus, I support forcefully putting people who have some kind of psychological abnormality making them significantly more prone to committing victimization (e.g. serial killers, violent schizophrenics, etc.) into humane mental health asylums where they get humane medical treatment within reason, even if for many it is comfort measures only until they comfortably die from old age. As for the question in the OP, I do not include such humane mental health institutionalization under the label 'prisons'.
There are many more types of "victimizers" than serial killers and "violent schizophrenics." Nor is most criminal behavior due to any "psychological abnormality" (although that entire concept is so nebulous as to be useless). Crime doesn't have "causes," any more than any other human behavior has causes. It has, like all other behavior, motives. Asking what "caused" Alfie to steal a teevee makes no more sense than asking what "caused" Bruno to buy one.
One thing I believe that you and I both want is to protect people from non-defensive violence and victimization.

What are your alternatives? Your mental health asylums? Crime is not a medical problem.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

GE Morton wrote: March 21st, 2021, 9:46 pm That is incorrect. Your 21.6% is for inmates in local jails, not "inmates in USA."
Yes, you are correct.

A better reading of the Wikipedia page you provided, shows the following data:

Federal, 225,000 inmates, 7.90% (17,775) in for violent crime
State, 1,316,000, 52.40% (689,584) in for violent crime
Local, 785,556, 21.60% (169,680) in for violent crime
Total 2,326,556, 37.7% (877,039) in for violent crime

Thus, that gives us the answer for #1 and #2 of my requested stats:
Scott wrote: 1. percentage of inmates in USA who are charged or convicted of a violent crime (i.e. violent offenders)

#1 (violent offenders) is 37.7%.

#2 (non-violent offenders) is 62.3%

Do you know what #3 is?

We know it must be lower than #2 since it is a subset of #2.

Scott wrote: I eagerly agree if you remove the word "unfortunately".

GE Morton wrote: March 21st, 2021, 9:46 pm Are you there equating "self-government" with anarchy?
I explain my answer to that question in reply to first comment on my post, Man is Not Fit to Govern Man: My Philosophy of Non-Violence, Self-Government, Self-Discipline, and Spiritual Freedom. Namely, it depends whether the word is used in the original Proudhonian sense or not.

GE Morton wrote: March 20th, 2021, 11:09 pm
Scott wrote:I don't think I've ever met a person, including elected officials themselves, who doesn't think money (most notably in the form of campaign contributions) has way too much influence in the political system in the USA. I mean that with utmost respect. I am eager to learn about new different viewpoints.
I think its influence is nil. Which is not to say it irrelevant. Money is necessary to put one's message before voters. It has nothing to do with how voters respond to those messages.
Scott wrote:On a scale of 0-10, 10 being the most, to what degree do you think the average elected member of Congress is influenced by special interests through any financial mechanism such as but not limited to paid lobbying, campaign contributions, kickbacks, or bribes?
Answered above.
So your answer is 0?

Scott wrote:On a scale of 0-10, 10 being the most, in terms of honesty and immunity to self-serving greed, how fit do you think average currently serving member of Congress is to fill the aforementioned role of benevolent dictator?
GE Morton wrote: March 20th, 2021, 11:09 pm No person is fit for that role.
Let me rephrase then, on a scale of 0-10, 10 being the most, in terms of honesty and immunity to self-serving greed, how do you rate the average member of Congress?

Scott wrote:Also, if money plays only a minor role in politics, then why is so much money (literally $10+ billion per year in the USA alone) spent on it? Are the campaign financiers just foolishly wasting their money? For example, is every company on this list just stupid? Or are the billions they spend to manipulate the system each year worth it?
GE Morton wrote: March 20th, 2021, 11:09 pm I never said money "plays only a minor role" in politics.
The word you used above is "nil", which I would take as less than minor actually.

And I couldn't disagree more. But I respect your right to see the world completely and utterly differently than I do.

Nonetheless, I believe money plays a huge role in determining who gets elected and who gets excluded from being elected. I believe the billions of dollars collectively spent by companies like Facebook, Amazon, Comcast, and Lockheed Martin on lobbying is not wasted; I believe they are getting their money's worth.

GE Morton wrote: March 20th, 2021, 11:09 pm I take the answer to the latter to also be obvious --- as long as there are persons who victimize others, then some means of removing those persons from the society will be needed.
Scott wrote: March 21st, 2021, 7:02 pm I agree. Thus, I support forcefully putting people who have some kind of psychological abnormality making them significantly more prone to committing victimization (e.g. serial killers, violent schizophrenics, etc.) into humane mental health asylums where they get humane medical treatment within reason, even if for many it is comfort measures only until they comfortably die from old age. As for the question in the OP, I do not include such humane mental health institutionalization under the label 'prisons'.
GE Morton wrote: March 20th, 2021, 11:09 pm There are many more types of "victimizers" than serial killers and "violent schizophrenics."
Of course, that's why I wrote "e.g." meaning for example. They are two examples of countless, not an exhaustive list.

Due to the logical law of the excluded middle, it is necessarily the case that a given person either is (1) significantly abnormally psychologically more likely to commit violence or non-defensive victimization or is (2) not abnormally psychologically more likely to commit violence or non-defensive victimization.

Scott wrote:One thing I believe that you and I both want is to protect people from non-defensive violence and victimization.

GE Morton wrote: March 20th, 2021, 11:09 pm What are your alternatives?
Alternatives for what?

Excluding everyone who is abnormal in a way that makes them significantly more likely to commit non-defensive violence or non-defensive victimization, who do you want to be put in prison?

In other words, when considering the following two groups, who from group #2 do you want put in prison:

(1) people who are significantly abnormally psychologically more likely to commit violence or non-defensive victimization or is
(2) people who are not abnormally psychologically more likely to commit violence or non-defensive victimization

?

What possible benefit is there in putting someone from group #2 in prison?

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

One little tangential contribution I have to this topic for now:

I am strongly opposed to the idea that one of the purposes of prison is to inflict mental or physical torture on the inmates. Prisoners like those in the "Supermax" prison in Colorado, USA, are made to spend their entire remaining lives isolated from contact with other humans in a small cell, from which they're allowed out for solitary exercise one hour per day. I think that's an example of extreme mental torture. I oppose it regardless of the crime committed.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Regarding the release of prisoners and the risk of recidivism, I'm in favour of looking at ways of trying to use technology more effectively in order to reduce the prison population in countries where it is very high, while keeping the population as safe as possible.

Research seems to suggest that increasing the prison population doesn't reduce the incidence of crime. Countries with higher per-head prison populations don't generally have lower crime rates. It costs a lot of money, keeps offenders in counterproductive environments and its most tangible positive effect is simply that it physically stops the offenders from re-offending while in prison. So if the ability/opportunity to re-offend can be significantly reduced while keeping the offender out of prison, using technology, then that seems to me a good thing. Electronic ankle tags were a start. How about expanding that general concept with the imaginative use of technology to ensure that the offender's movements are automatically and minutely tracked.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

I think an advantage of the above, if it can be achieved, is that it addresses (at least to some extent) the problem of trying to work out whether an offender is likely to re-offend when released from prison. That's currently done by crude methods employed by parole boards and is not very reliable, as mentioned earlier in this topic. But if an offender has been released then he is back in the environment in which it's possible to attempt to commit crimes, so the likelihood of attempted recidivism can be tested in a real world scenario, rather than simply being speculated on from his behaviour in prison.

Ideally, the technology would allow the released offender the freedom to make choices in life, but if he chose to go back to crime it would alert the authorities before the crime has actually been committed.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Steve3007, I agree that research seems to suggest that increasing the prison population doesn't reduce the incidence of violent crime. In fact, increased imprisonment may increase rates of violent crime. For instance, I think there is strong statistical evidence to argue convincingly that alcohol prohibition in the USA increased violent crime and that the ongoing expensive War on Drugs increased violent crime.

I agree with your sentiment overall in your preceding three posts, so please forgive the way I reply below. :)

Steve3007 wrote:Regarding the release of prisoners and the risk of recidivism, I'm in favour of looking at ways of trying to use technology more effectively... if the ability/opportunity to re-offend can be significantly reduced while keeping the offender out of prison, using technology, then that seems to me a good thing.
I hope many offenders re-offend, such as people in jail for marijuana possession. I hope they get out and smoke a joint to celebrate their release. Re-offense is often a good thing, in my opinion, since so many good things are illegal.

For example, Martin Luther King was arrested 29 times. I am glad it was 29 rather than 1. I am glad he re-offended, over and over. Recidivism is often a very good thing.

Arnold Abbott is another example of someone I am glad repeatedly re-offended.

LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Speaking of technology, what should be the punishment for someone who steals your identity and ruins your credit and good name?
"As usual... it depends."
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Scott wrote: March 24th, 2021, 7:34 pm
I hope many offenders re-offend, such as people in jail for marijuana possession. I hope they get out and smoke a joint to celebrate their release. Re-offense is often a good thing, in my opinion, since so many good things are illegal.

I take your meaning to be that you would like to be made aware of unjust laws, but is it reasonable to expect your fellow citizens to go to barbaric American prisons to highlight these injustices for you? After all, if the law is unjust, then these inmates shouldn't be there, should they? Aren't they, the ones unjustly imprisoned, the priority in this case?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Scott wrote:I hope many offenders re-offend, such as people in jail for marijuana possession. I hope they get out and smoke a joint to celebrate their release. Re-offense is often a good thing, in my opinion, since so many good things are illegal...
Fair enough. There are some things which are illegal but which shouldn't be illegal. I don't disagree but I don't see it is relevant to my point. I was talking about offences involving crimes that we agree are rightfully considered to be crimes.

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream