Does Society Need Prisons?

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
Sculptor1

Re: Does Society Need Prisons?

Post by Sculptor1 »

Robert66 wrote: June 29th, 2022, 3:06 am
Sculptor1 wrote: June 19th, 2022, 5:46 pm
Robert66 wrote: June 19th, 2022, 4:55 pm Do you think if you keep insulting me I will start agreeing with you?
I do not care if you agree with me.
So seem to be not paying attention to the world around you.
I assume you meant "You seem ..." rather than "So seem ...". If that is correct then lucky me I have gathered another insult. If someone pays attention to the world around them (like you do) but reaches a different conclusion, or has a different attitude or opinion, then they must be wrong? My turn to insult: I give you 0 out of 10 for that thinking.
That is a compliment coming from you.
Since a person who fails to pay attention is not best equipped to judge another's thinking.
BTW.
"..so seem" is a conditional statement, which links the previous thought to the current one.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Robert66 wrote: June 29th, 2022, 2:57 am Trust is not hard to earn but...
Trust is hard to earn, because (normal, human) people take a while before they trust someone. They want to see the trustworthy behaviour quite often before they start to trust. I'm surprised you disagree; I thought I was expressing more-or-less universally-held views. It appears not.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Robert66

Post by Robert66 »

Pattern-chaser wrote: June 29th, 2022, 12:54 pm
Trust is hard to earn, because (normal, human) people take a while before they trust someone. They want to see the trustworthy behaviour quite often before they start to trust. I'm surprised you disagree; I thought I was expressing more-or-less universally-held views. It appears not.
FFS does half a sentence have the same meaning as the whole sentence?
Robert66

Post by Robert66 »

Sculptor1 wrote: June 29th, 2022, 5:24 am
Robert66 wrote: June 29th, 2022, 3:06 am If someone pays attention to the world around them (like you do) but reaches a different conclusion, or has a different attitude or opinion, then they must be wrong?

Since a person who fails to pay attention is not best equipped to judge another's thinking.
Your world is a bleak, endless winter.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Robert66 wrote: June 29th, 2022, 5:25 pm
Robert66 wrote: June 29th, 2022, 3:06 am If someone pays attention to the world around them (like you do) but reaches a different conclusion, or has a different attitude or opinion, then they must be wrong?

You only think that because you live in a bariatric chamber of your own imagination
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Robert66 wrote: June 29th, 2022, 5:08 pm
Pattern-chaser wrote: June 29th, 2022, 12:54 pm
FFS does half a sentence have the same meaning as the whole sentence?
No, it doesn't. In this case, it offers a premise that the end of the sentence refers to. I deny your premise, and so I only quoted that bit. Trust takes a long time to earn. It cannot be earned quickly or easily, but it can be lost in moments. What is there about this that you disagree with, after consulting the real world for empirical confirmation?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Robert66

Post by Robert66 »

Well thanks for the English lesson. The other way to interpret my sentence - the way I intended - is: Trust is not just hard, but impossible, to earn if you are a policeman or woman living in the bleak, Hobbesian world of the grim-faced sculptor.

And isn't it a treat to enjoy the homespun philosophy of Pattern-chaser and Sculptor1? No point to disagree with them, for they have the real world to prove their point. Never mind that others might look upon the world with different eyes and mindset - these others are obviously wrong! And they will be insulted for disagreeing or even attempting to add a little nuance, because Pattern-chaser and Sculptor1 are Englishmen, and as we all know (here I offer my general claim) the English regard themselves as expert on all matters, and are forever poncing about the world stage offering their great wisdom. Of course they feel entitled to ownership of the interpretation of empirical evidence or what constitutes "the real world", just as the English have always felt entitled to whatever they want, eg other nations, dark-skinned humans.
Robert66

Post by Robert66 »

Or in other words:

Do not trust the English is what I am talking about. They should be hated, not trusted.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Robert66 wrote: June 30th, 2022, 9:03 pm Well thanks for the English lesson. The other way to interpret my sentence - the way I intended - is: Trust is not just hard, but impossible, to earn if you are a policeman or woman living in the bleak, Hobbesian world of the grim-faced sculptor.
I think you exaggerate for effect. It isn't impossible because it is sometimes achieved. It is difficult, though, especially when trust in the police is already low.

Robert66 wrote: June 30th, 2022, 9:03 pm And isn't it a treat to enjoy the homespun philosophy of Pattern-chaser and Sculptor1? No point to disagree with them, for they have the real world to prove their point. Never mind that others might look upon the world with different eyes and mindset - these others are obviously wrong! And they will be insulted for disagreeing or even attempting to add a little nuance, because Pattern-chaser and Sculptor1 are Englishmen, and as we all know (here I offer my general claim) the English regard themselves as expert on all matters, and are forever poncing about the world stage offering their great wisdom. Of course they feel entitled to ownership of the interpretation of empirical evidence or what constitutes "the real world", just as the English have always felt entitled to whatever they want, eg other nations, dark-skinned humans.
Robert66 wrote: June 30th, 2022, 9:36 pm Do not trust the English is what I am talking about. They should be hated, not trusted.
Wow. OK. I really do think that the real world is our reference here, and if empirical observation supports or proves a point, then it is reasonable to mention it.

I also think you're a bit unfair to the English, though. For example, Americans are as bad, and can even be worse. And the offenders are definitely not limited to just 2 countries. Nevertheless, I'm sorry you feel they way you do. That was certainly not my intention.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

I think prisons are always going to be with us.
But what we do not need is for $trillion to be spent on a "War on Drugs", since Nixon, to incarcerate blacks and hippies who being against the Vietnam war, were considered to be "unpatriotic".
But we do not need is a 700% increase in the prison population mostly because people just want to have some fun, but come up against a system that wants to make money by turning that fun into misery for most of the 2 million Americans in gaol.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Robert66 wrote: June 29th, 2022, 5:25 pm

Hello Pollyanna! I thought you were just a character in a book!
Robert66

Post by Robert66 »

Side note:

Congratulations Brits on once again getting the PM you so clearly deserve. You can go forward now, with her endless stream of platitudes and cliches in mind, into the glorious future, and never let the actually parlous state of Britain deter you from lecturing the rest of the world on how to conduct their affairs.

As to whether society needs prisons, what a significant contribution Britain has made to the prison project around the world. At one time Britain had achieved such an impressively large population of prisoners that many had to be kept in rotting hulls offshore, among them one of my ancestors. While she was near to death arriving in Australia, at least (unlike many who died en route) she had successfully escaped Old Blighty, and from then on our family were able to prosper.
Oliver Krieger
Favorite Philosopher: René Girard

Post by Oliver Krieger »

Does Society Need Prisons ?

The following is a news report, translated from the german into english by me. The original report was written by the journalist Martin Küper, on 20th of September 2022, for the "t-online Nachrichten für Deutschland" (german telekom news service for germany) :
"They conscript everybody"
Russian Detainees obviously are hardly fit for war

Russia recruits Detainees for the War against Ukraine. But the criminals do not appear to be fit for battle.

In the War against Ukraine, the russian army not only has to fight determined Defenders, but also massive personnel problems on its own side. Because the Kremlin cringes from a general mobilization, and because only few volunteers can be found for the operation, the mercenary group Wagner hires detainees en gros from russian prisons for deployment and the front - but apparently with mediocre success only."
Prisoners are expendables. Tyrannic, and abusive regimes, like the russian, make use of what "human capital" they have left over.

So, i guess, Putin would answer your original question with: Yes, indeed.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Oliver Krieger wrote: September 30th, 2022, 5:18 am Does Society Need Prisons ?

The following is a news report, translated from the german into english by me. The original report was written by the journalist Martin Küper, on 20th of September 2022, for the "t-online Nachrichten für Deutschland" (german telekom news service for germany) :
"They conscript everybody"
Russian Detainees obviously are hardly fit for war

Russia recruits Detainees for the War against Ukraine. But the criminals do not appear to be fit for battle.

In the War against Ukraine, the russian army not only has to fight determined Defenders, but also massive personnel problems on its own side. Because the Kremlin cringes from a general mobilization, and because only few volunteers can be found for the operation, the mercenary group Wagner hires detainees en gros from russian prisons for deployment and the front - but apparently with mediocre success only."
Prisoners are expendables. Tyrannic, and abusive regimes, like the russian, make use of what "human capital" they have left over.

So, i guess, Putin would answer your original question with: Yes, indeed.
The unscrupulous will seek personal profit in every conceivable avenue. However their success does not necessarily mean that the subject is corrupt.
"As usual... it depends."
Nganyi Humphrey
Premium Member

Post by Nganyi Humphrey »

I believe that society truly needs prisons. The prisons can then be separated into different levels depending on the crime committed. For example, people who commit violent crimes such as murder and arson should have their prison different from those who commit non-violent crimes or incidental crimes. The different levels of prisons should be accompanied by a difference in the conditions within these prisons.

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream