Abortion - Not as diametrically divisive as often thought?

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me

With which statement do you agree?

I want it to be illegal for a very poor teenager who was impregnated from being raped by an immediate family member to get an abortion even in the first week of pregnancy even if the doctors can and did detect the baby has severe genetic disorders and that the pregnancy if taken to term would have complications greatly risking the life of both the mother and would-be baby.
9%
I want it to be legal for a wealthy woman who is 5 days past her due date (of birth) to get an abortion even though doctors are sure that the healthy baby would be delivered safely and relatively easily otherwise and even though many safe, healthy, loving families are willing to adopt the would-be newborn immediately and even pay the woman significantly for that.
18%
I do not agree fully with either one of the above statements.
74%

Total votes: 80

LuckyR

Re: Abortion - Not as diametrically divisive as often thought?

Post by LuckyR »

Maxreview wrote: February 17th, 2023, 12:23 pm I fell this issue is entirely circumstantial. It's a moral dilemma and paradox, too. If the fetus is threatening the life of the mother, then it may be wise to terminate the pregnancy. Sometimes, the parents may not just be ready to have the baby, so I feel its their call to make and no one should judge them for doing what they think is best for themselves. But also, if we view it from the baby's view, it's murder in some way. Sometimes, raising the child in-vitro, giving it to a surrogate, or deciding to keep it to give it for adoption may be a nice idea where applicable.
You are correct that the subject contains issues of competing interests. However such a situation is not a paradox, and while can be a dilemma, usually isn't. That is, we routinely make decisions that revolve around competing interests. Basically, one set of interests are deemed to be greater than the other.
"As usual... it depends."
MAYA EL

Re: Abortion - Not as diametrically divisive as often though

Post by MAYA EL »

Scottie wrote: January 29th, 2012, 1:25 am The problem I have is that the position to allow abortion does not affect the right to choose for the people who choose not to abort. No one is for forcing anyone to have an abortion against their will.

The position which denies abortion does affect the right to choose for those who choose to abort. Some one IS attempting to force that person to bring the pregnancy to term.

No one has proven that a fetus has rights independently of the mother. I don't think we get to appeal to the big man in the sky as the basis for law.

But the issue is that people abuse privileges that they're given and this is no exception to the rule and it's unfortunate that the majority of people that get abortions have had more than one in fact a very high percentage of them have had three or four as if they're using it as a contraceptive not a last resort and that is inhumane from a different angle.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

MAYA EL wrote: March 8th, 2023, 10:52 pm
Scottie wrote: January 29th, 2012, 1:25 am The problem I have is that the position to allow abortion does not affect the right to choose for the people who choose not to abort. No one is for forcing anyone to have an abortion against their will.

The position which denies abortion does affect the right to choose for those who choose to abort. Some one IS attempting to force that person to bring the pregnancy to term.

No one has proven that a fetus has rights independently of the mother. I don't think we get to appeal to the big man in the sky as the basis for law.

But the issue is that people abuse privileges that they're given and this is no exception to the rule and it's unfortunate that the majority of people that get abortions have had more than one in fact a very high percentage of them have had three or four as if they're using it as a contraceptive not a last resort and that is inhumane from a different angle.
Commenting on extreme examples does not logically support making it illegal for everyone.
MAYA EL

Post by MAYA EL »

LuckyR wrote: March 9th, 2023, 12:36 pm

Commenting on extreme examples does not logically support making it illegal for everyone.
It better justifies taking away a privilege that was unwisely GIVEN to them yes
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

MAYA EL wrote: March 26th, 2023, 1:29 pm
LuckyR wrote: March 9th, 2023, 12:36 pm

It better justifies taking away a privilege that was unwisely GIVEN to them yes
"better"? Better than what? It's easy to argue against nonarguments.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

If you are maing statistical claims you should take the trouble to cite your information.
The fact is that less that half of women having had one abortion, have another - that is not a "majority".
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

MAYA EL wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 4:46 pm People abuse privileges and if we look at the types of people getting abortions it's largely African-American women and not just one they have several each
Sculptor1 wrote: November 24th, 2022, 6:19 am I smell toxic racism, and it is Hitler strong.
Those aren't the words I would've chosen, but it's what I intended to say when I read the above comment.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Pattern-chaser wrote: May 15th, 2023, 12:07 pm
MAYA EL wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 4:46 pm People abuse privileges and if we look at the types of people getting abortions it's largely African-American women and not just one they have several each
Sculptor1 wrote: November 24th, 2022, 6:19 am I smell toxic racism, and it is Hitler strong.
Those aren't the words I would've chosen, but it's what I intended to say when I read the above comment.
I concur but I think you might have misquoted me.
Maya El's last two responses to me, I had to report so I wonder if someone else said that.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Sorry yes I did say that. Way back in November last year.
My reward was to be called "woke and racist", which I found rather amusing.
I stand by those words given the review of what I was responding to.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Sculptor1 wrote: May 15th, 2023, 1:27 pm
Sorry yes I did say that. Way back in November last year.
My reward was to be called "woke and racist", which I found rather amusing.
I stand by those words given the review of what I was responding to.
My mistake. I, too, stand by what I wrote, but I stumbled onto Maya's post yesterday and somehow mistook it for a more recent addition. 😳
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
MAYA EL

Post by MAYA EL »

Well you can get over it and be an adult like the rest of us because that wasn't just my mean bad guy opinion that's a fact based off of statistics and believe it or not it's not my opinion it's fact and if you don't like the facts grow a thicker skin cuz I'm sorry but the truth is human beings abuse privileges and Technology and in this situation abortion is not being used responsibly it's being used mainly by African Americans as a form of birth control as opposed to a truly emergency only and/or Last Resort type of method the average African American woman that had an abortion has had three or four so don't shoot the messenger here
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

MAYA EL wrote: May 17th, 2023, 1:23 am [T]he truth is human beings abuse privileges and Technology and in this situation abortion is not being used responsibly it's being used mainly by African Americans as a form of birth control as opposed to a truly emergency only and/or Last Resort type of method the average African American woman that had an abortion has had three or four so don't shoot the messenger here
Abortion is not an American issue. Abortion is used by African Africans, British Brits, Australian Aussies and Japanese Japanese. Or, as we call them in countries where we don't need to own other nationalities, Africans, Brits, Aussies, and Japanese.

Abortion is a form of birth control. But other methods are quicker, easier and more convenient, and therefore preferred by almost everyone. Abortion is a last resort for all who use it. No-one would subject themselves to an abortion if they could've avoided the need in the first place. But pregnancies occur for all kinds of reasons, requiring all kinds of responses. Sometimes, abortion is the appropriate response.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Pattern-chaser wrote: May 17th, 2023, 12:06 pm
MAYA EL wrote: May 17th, 2023, 1:23 am [T]he truth is human beings abuse privileges and Technology and in this situation abortion is not being used responsibly it's being used mainly by African Americans as a form of birth control as opposed to a truly emergency only and/or Last Resort type of method the average African American woman that had an abortion has had three or four so don't shoot the messenger here
Abortion is not an American issue. Abortion is used by African Africans, British Brits, Australian Aussies and Japanese Japanese. Or, as we call them in countries where we don't need to own other nationalities, Africans, Brits, Aussies, and Japanese.

Abortion is a form of birth control. But other methods are quicker, easier and more convenient, and therefore preferred by almost everyone. Abortion is a last resort for all who use it. No-one would subject themselves to an abortion if they could've avoided the need in the first place. But pregnancies occur for all kinds of reasons, requiring all kinds of responses. Sometimes, abortion is the appropriate response.
If someone says X should be illegal because of this or that episode of misuse or abuse, if looked at logically this type of argument means: X is a reasonable option when used appropriately and thus the original emphasis on misuse implies that there is a correct use, ie it is reasonable and should be legal, perhaps with regulation. In other words it isn't an argument that X is unreasonable and should be banned.
amorphos_ii

Post by amorphos_ii »

Did you guys know there is a 'vasectomy valve' recently come on the market? Its a tall order, but if men/boys had it fitted and switched off by default, there would be no unwanted pregnancies!

You just switch in on when you actually want to get someone pregnant.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

amorphos_ii wrote: May 17th, 2023, 8:19 pm Did you guys know there is a 'vasectomy valve' recently come on the market? Its a tall order, but if men/boys had it fitted and switched off by default, there would be no unwanted pregnancies!

You just switch in on when you actually want to get someone pregnant.
Two things, it's my understanding is that it hasn't been approved by the FDA and all male contraceptives suffer from the "honey, we don't need to use condoms, I've got the valve closed. Yeah, rriiiight!".

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream