Gun Control and Mass Murder

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Re: Gun Control and Mass Murder

Post by Sy Borg »

LuckyR wrote: April 16th, 2021, 11:22 am
Belindi wrote: April 16th, 2021, 3:18 am Is it paranoid to know that one's social class is a lot less valuable than others' social class. Extreme class differentials are divisive.
Very true, but the solution to that doesn't lie through guns.
Yes, it's not as though the poor need to defend themselves from the rich. Rather, gun protect egos from vulnerability, which would otherwise feel disempowered and humiliated by societal inequality: "I might be poor but I can still shoot your [donkey synonym] off".
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Sy Borg wrote: April 16th, 2021, 8:58 pm
Belindi wrote: April 16th, 2021, 3:18 am Is it paranoid to know that one's social class is a lot less valuable than others' social class. Extreme class differentials are divisive.
Yes, it's not as though the poor need to defend themselves from the rich. Rather, gun protect egos from vulnerability, which would otherwise feel disempowered and humiliated by societal inequality: "I might be poor but I can still shoot your [donkey synonym] off".
The "paranoia problem " among Americans can be reduced by brave politicians who are not tools of the Gun Lobby, and who also increase the quality of education.

My remedy as above omits to say how education for enforced leisure actually works. Apart from a firearm, well paid work, and other benefits of the pig-trough, what makes an adult feel worthy?
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Belindi wrote: April 17th, 2021, 4:39 am
The "paranoia problem " among Americans can be reduced by brave politicians who are not tools of the Gun Lobby, and who also increase the quality of education.

My remedy as above omits to say how education for enforced leisure actually works. Apart from a firearm, well paid work, and other benefits of the pig-trough, what makes an adult feel worthy?
I would describe American paranoia thusly: say you are the rich elite, you want to make government policy to protect and increase your wealth, but you are too few in number to win elections. Solution: distract low information voters with racial tension and jingoism. Voilà, a pre-made voting bloc, election wins, gerrymandering to continue the win and paranoia (with a side benefit of an increase in retail gun sales, win, win, win. Laughing all the way to the bank.)
"As usual... it depends."
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

LuckyR wrote: April 17th, 2021, 12:43 pm

I would describe American paranoia thusly: say you are the rich elite, you want to make government policy to protect and increase your wealth, but you are too few in number to win elections. Solution: distract low information voters with racial tension and jingoism. Voilà, a pre-made voting bloc, election wins, gerrymandering to continue the win and paranoia (with a side benefit of an increase in retail gun sales, win, win, win. Laughing all the way to the bank.)

Is it then a policy of right wing regimes to keep school children divided into well-informed families and "low information voters" families?

For instance, how did the Trump regime allocated funding to state schools? Were schools in information-deprived districts deliberately not specially enriched so that children could break out of the cycle of information- deprivation?

Rich elites were ever so, plus that the more centralised the hold of the regime, the less information the poorer people have. With independence from the British Crown the USA should have broken away from entitlement of the ruling elite. The way I see it is that British (and Belgian and French)colonialism made the investors thrive, and American investors did likewise. It is well known that British wealth is founded on the slave trade, and so is American wealth. The rich elites are to a significant extent an international force for their own benefit. Even today huge tracts of British land are owned by Russians and Arabs.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Belindi wrote: April 18th, 2021, 3:30 amWith independence from the British Crown the USA should have broken away from entitlement of the ruling elite. The way I see it is that British (and Belgian and French)colonialism made the investors thrive, and American investors did likewise. It is well known that British wealth is founded on the slave trade, and so is American wealth. The rich elites are to a significant extent an international force for their own benefit. Even today huge tracts of British land are owned by Russians and Arabs.
Not only has the US failed to break away from models requiring a ruling elite but, if not for COVID, they would have installed a new royal family.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Belindi wrote: April 18th, 2021, 3:30 am

Is it then a policy of right wing regimes to keep school children divided into well-informed families and "low information voters" families?

For instance, how did the Trump regime allocated funding to state schools? Were schools in information-deprived districts deliberately not specially enriched so that children could break out of the cycle of information- deprivation?

Rich elites were ever so, plus that the more centralised the hold of the regime, the less information the poorer people have. With independence from the British Crown the USA should have broken away from entitlement of the ruling elite. The way I see it is that British (and Belgian and French)colonialism made the investors thrive, and American investors did likewise. It is well known that British wealth is founded on the slave trade, and so is American wealth. The rich elites are to a significant extent an international force for their own benefit. Even today huge tracts of British land are owned by Russians and Arabs.
While historically the wealthy in democracies pursued the same goals, the advent of the media industry followed by net based media put the strategy into hyperdrive. No need to wait for educational policies to trickle through to adulthood voting patterns, you can recruit poor folks to vote for the elite money/power grab right here, right now.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

LuckyR wrote: April 18th, 2021, 5:01 pm

While historically the wealthy in democracies pursued the same goals, the advent of the media industry followed by net based media put the strategy into hyperdrive. No need to wait for educational policies to trickle through to adulthood voting patterns, you can recruit poor folks to vote for the elite money/power grab right here, right now.
Is there an independent newspaper or TV channel in the US?
I note that many media people, and some celebrities too, are both honest and brave.
How might the narrative, as supported by for example Lucky, be told so that information-deprived people may understand it? Is confirmation bias the main difficulty?
https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2017 ... -to-reason
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Belindi wrote: April 19th, 2021, 3:32 am

I note that many media people, and some celebrities too, are both honest and brave.
How might the narrative, as supported by for example Lucky, be told so that information-deprived people may understand it? Is confirmation bias the main difficulty?
That is so two generations ago. Almost no one in the bottom quarter of the economic ladder gets their "news" from a newspaper or broadcast TV channel. Folks get their "information" from their news feed on their social media platform. As we all know these are displayed based on an algorithm using previous searches as data points. So supercomputers comb the interweb for searches correlated with voting patterns and pump news feeds of those individuals with increasingly partisan articles in the direction the algorithm has computed.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

LuckyR wrote: April 19th, 2021, 12:45 pm
Belindi wrote: April 19th, 2021, 3:32 am

That is so two generations ago. Almost no one in the bottom quarter of the economic ladder gets their "news" from a newspaper or broadcast TV channel. Folks get their "information" from their news feed on their social media platform. As we all know these are displayed based on an algorithm using previous searches as data points. So supercomputers comb the interweb for searches correlated with voting patterns and pump news feeds of those individuals with increasingly partisan articles in the direction the algorithm has computed.
I hope that is a challenge for thinkers to find a way to inform the people on the bottom quarter of the economic ladder.
Confirmatory evidence strengthened people's views, as you'd expect, but so did disconfirmatory evidence. That's right, anti-death penalty people became more anti-death penalty when shown pro-death penalty evidence (and vice versa). A clear example of biased reasoning.
from the article I cited in my last post.

The article goes on to claim that confirmatory bias is dealt with by asking people to imagine how they would feel if the evidence pointed in the other direction. For instance if the evidence pointed in the direction of 'Burning fossil fuels is good for the environment' would you support getting energy from burning fossil fuels? People are asked to consider questions as if, like a jury, they were to consider the evidence alone, without prejudging it.

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

Upcoming Philosphy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

Living in Color

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Previous Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream