Gun Control and Mass Murder

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
Belindi

Re: Gun Control and Mass Murder

Post by Belindi »

Robert66 wrote: June 2nd, 2022, 4:51 pm
Belindi wrote: April 20th, 2021, 2:55 am ... confirmatory bias is dealt with by asking people to imagine how they would feel if the evidence pointed in the other direction. For instance if the evidence pointed in the direction of 'Burning fossil fuels is good for the environment' would you support getting energy from burning fossil fuels? People are asked to consider questions as if, like a jury, they were to consider the evidence alone, without prejudging it.
OK then - how well would this strategy work in dealing with gun control? Imagine for argument's sake that I am an 18 year old Texan, now able to legally buy guns, which I intend doing. The fact that it is so easy to buy guns in my state confirms my bias - it is legal for me to buy a hand gun in a private sale, without any background check or permit required, so why not? The fact that people in my state are being shot at all the time confirms my bias, especially when people like Ted Cruz say that "what stops armed bad guys is armed good guys". He is a Senator, so he must know what he is talking about. Everyone over 18 at my church carries a gun, and they are good Christians.

What will you ask me to consider? That I will be safer if I DON'T buy a gun? My inclination is to think that does not make sense.
That 18 year old would be a hard nut to crack. However if I had the public ear as does the minister at the church I'd teach that the fellowship of the congregation makes each individual stronger to act for the good of all. Then I'd teach how social control that includes non-gun ownership is safer for all individuals. I'd then propose that our little congregation make public via the local press and social media that we support non-gun ownership. I'd encourage dialogue between minister and members of the congregation in the knowledge that my mentor Jesus of Nazareth is already an icon of goodness for the congregation . I'd throw open the doors of dialogue to emergency room medics, and ministers of other sects and denominations.

If I were a school headmaster, or a tutor of student teachers I'd teach similarly, and show where true courage is.

In short, public education is the answer. To ensure the general public are educated about gun control needs individuals who, ideally already influential, will be brave enough to raise their heads above the parapet.
Robert66

Post by Robert66 »

Well put, Sy Borg!
Robert66

Post by Robert66 »

Belindi wrote: June 3rd, 2022, 3:47 am
Belindi wrote: April 20th, 2021, 2:55 am ... confirmatory bias is dealt with by asking people to imagine how they would feel if the evidence pointed in the other direction. For instance if the evidence pointed in the direction of 'Burning fossil fuels is good for the environment' would you support getting energy from burning fossil fuels? People are asked to consider questions as if, like a jury, they were to consider the evidence alone, without prejudging it.
OK then - how well would this strategy work in dealing with gun control? Imagine for argument's sake that I am an 18 year old Texan, now able to legally buy guns, which I intend doing. The fact that it is so easy to buy guns in my state confirms my bias - it is legal for me to buy a hand gun in a private sale, without any background check or permit required, so why not? The fact that people in my state are being shot at all the time confirms my bias, especially when people like Ted Cruz say that "what stops armed bad guys is armed good guys". He is a Senator, so he must know what he is talking about. Everyone over 18 at my church carries a gun, and they are good Christians.

What will you ask me to consider? That I will be safer if I DON'T buy a gun? My inclination is to think that does not make sense.
That 18 year old would be a hard nut to crack. However if I had the public ear as does the minister at the church I'd teach that the fellowship of the congregation makes each individual stronger to act for the good of all. Then I'd teach how social control that includes non-gun ownership is safer for all individuals. I'd then propose that our little congregation make public via the local press and social media that we support non-gun ownership. I'd encourage dialogue between minister and members of the congregation in the knowledge that my mentor Jesus of Nazareth is already an icon of goodness for the congregation . I'd throw open the doors of dialogue to emergency room medics, and ministers of other sects and denominations.

If I were a school headmaster, or a tutor of student teachers I'd teach similarly, and show where true courage is.

In short, public education is the answer. To ensure the general public are educated about gun control needs individuals who, ideally already influential, will be brave enough to raise their heads above the parapet.
Are you kidding? The pastor has a loaded pistol strapped under his cassock! The public ear is hearing (in some places) that teachers should also be armed. The headmaster is hiding in their office, and Jesus aint been seen for some time - if he did return he would probably have to rethink the "turn the other cheek" idea.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Robert66 wrote: June 3rd, 2022, 4:01 am

Are you kidding? The pastor has a loaded pistol strapped under his cassock! The public ear is hearing (in some places) that teachers should also be armed. The headmaster is hiding in their office, and Jesus aint been seen for some time - if he did return he would probably have to rethink the "turn the other cheek" idea.
Your objection is justified. I doubt if I personally would have the courage to be that sort of pastor. There was one. Martin Luther King who was that sort of pastor within living memory. Don't people in church pray for the courage to do right? The buck has to start somewhere.
UniversalAlien

Post by UniversalAlien »

I started this thread back in 2012 as a reaction to the Sandy Hook shootings, knowing there would again be a big debate on gun control
in the US - And there was - And as you might expect no sensible solutions are taking place.

No, I haven't suddenly changed my mind and become anti Second Amendment - But isn't it a no brainer to outlaw purchase of
AR-15 type guns to anyone under 21 :?: {The last two major gun massacre incidents were perpetrated by 18 year olds who just walked in off the street to a gun shop and bought the guns and ammo :!: }

So while some members of the Democratic Party once again want to go too far and make many responsible gun owners uncomfortable
- The Conservative Republicans still resist almost all change.

[NOTE THE FOLLOWING STATEMENT IS BASED UPON CYNICISM]:
In Texas though the Republican view makes sense - Having already outlawed all abortions which will cause the birth of unwanted children,
you can see how a few extra gun deaths won't matter........ :?: :!:

After all isn't Texas still the Wild, Wild West :?: No more abortions and no more gun control :twisted:
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

UniversalAlien wrote: June 3rd, 2022, 5:57 am I started this thread back in 2012 as a reaction to the Sandy Hook shootings, knowing there would again be a big debate on gun control
in the US - And there was - And as you might expect no sensible solutions are taking place.

No, I haven't suddenly changed my mind and become anti Second Amendment - But isn't it a no brainer to outlaw purchase of
AR-15 type guns to anyone under 21 :?: {The last two major gun massacre incidents were perpetrated by 18 year olds who just walked in off the street to a gun shop and bought the guns and ammo :!: }

So while some members of the Democratic Party once again want to go too far and make many responsible gun owners uncomfortable

In Texas though the Republican view makes sense - Having already outlawed all abortions which will cause the birth of unwanted children,

After all isn't Texas still the Wild, Wild West :?: No more abortions and no more gun control :twisted:
Who are "responsible gun owners"? Ideally nobody would buy guns for any purpose. How might the state control responsible gun owners? The less control the better therefore guns should be a last resort for policemen, and those such as farmers who may need to kill animals humanely.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Robert66 wrote: June 3rd, 2022, 4:01 amAre you kidding? The pastor has a loaded pistol strapped under his cassock! The public ear is hearing (in some places) that teachers should also be armed. The headmaster is hiding in their office, and Jesus aint been seen for some time - if he did return he would probably have to rethink the "turn the other cheek" idea.
Funny thing. The police and security guards whose job it is to engage criminals were too afraid of being shot to act, yet Republicans expect teachers to be better cops than the cops while also being a teacher. I understand that one or two teacher were shot in the recent school killings in Texas trying to protect the children.

It is reaching the point where teachers will need to be paid danger. If arms use and policing functions and required, then US teachers are due huge pay rises.
Robert66

Post by Robert66 »

Belindi wrote: June 3rd, 2022, 4:46 am
Robert66 wrote: June 3rd, 2022, 4:01 am

Your objection is justified. I doubt if I personally would have the courage to be that sort of pastor. There was one. Martin Luther King who was that sort of pastor within living memory. Don't people in church pray for the courage to do right? The buck has to start somewhere.
You are right Belindi. Most churchgoers are doing what is right. The pastor I mentioned was likely of an evangelic church, and these evangelic churches should be ashamed of their opposition to gun law reform.

You are also right about public education. To that end I encourage people, especially US citizens, to learn exactly what is preventing progress toward reasonable gun control. The Republican party, which surprisingly large numbers vote for, is the massive "roadblock" in the way of gun law reform. Obama and Biden proposed reasonable legislative change post-Sandy Hook, and they were voted down in Congress by 6 votes. Today Biden would need the support of 10 Republicans, a snowflakes chance in hell you might say.

Does this mean Republican voters are bad people, or merely gullible, accepting the lies they are fed? I say the latter, In 2000, 38% of Republicans surveyed believed gun rights were more important than gun control. By 2019 that figure had reached 80%.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2 ... ince-2017/

The Republican party has been molded by sinister forces, with many thousands of deaths resulting.
Robert66

Post by Robert66 »

UniversalAlien wrote: June 3rd, 2022, 5:57 am I started this thread back in 2012 as a reaction to the Sandy Hook shootings, knowing there would again be a big debate on gun control

You started this thread as a disgraceful provocation based on lies. While you are having your change of heart, why not admit this?

What exactly would make responsible gun owners uncomfortable about the reform of gun laws? Responsible people would surely see the sense in preventing 18 year olds from purchasing AR-15s, or people with certain mental health issues buying any sort of gun, or requiring gun owners to lock their weapons away, or being checked and registered when buying a gun, and not just just buying it from some local fair, no questions asked.
Robert66

Post by Robert66 »

Sy Borg wrote: June 3rd, 2022, 5:16 pm
Robert66 wrote: June 3rd, 2022, 4:01 amAre you kidding? The pastor has a loaded pistol strapped under his cassock! The public ear is hearing (in some places) that teachers should also be armed. The headmaster is hiding in their office, and Jesus aint been seen for some time - if he did return he would probably have to rethink the "turn the other cheek" idea.
Funny thing. The police and security guards whose job it is to engage criminals were too afraid of being shot to act, yet Republicans expect teachers to be better cops than the cops while also being a teacher. I understand that one or two teacher were shot in the recent school killings in Texas trying to protect the children.

It is reaching the point where teachers will need to be paid danger. If arms use and policing functions and required, then US teachers are due huge pay rises.
You make a good point Sy Borg. The Republican puppet politicians and their evil nut-job masters are not exactly logical in their arguments, however they have been very effective.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

I cannot verify the facts but I read that the most important job in the world can attract pay as low as $17 per hour, and a Health Insurance with an upfront payment of $10,000. I am talking about primary grade teachers in Texas.

Uvalde had two security guards and a fence around the school as per standards, but this failed to deter or prevent the murders of children, and two teachers.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Addendum

How much do teachers make an hour in Texas?
On average, Texas teachers make about $19 per hour. Pay typically fluctuates based on experience level, grade level, and more.

https://www.teachersoftomorrow.org/texa ... mum-salary
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Sy Borg wrote: June 3rd, 2022, 5:16 pm
There are numerous reasons why generally arming teachers is a bad idea, the chief one being that arming them would not be enough; you'd also have to train them in the use of those arms, many of whom would not be temperamentally suited to that role or willing to fill it. On the other hand, if there are one or two teachers in a school who are comfortable and competent with firearms and already have some training, arming them might make sense, provided they could quickly be alerted to a problem.

Though the police response in Uvalde is still under investigation, the problem was not that they were "afraid to act." They were "just following orders" from the on-scene commander to stand pat --- a hoary excuse that gets more tiresome every time it is invoked.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Sculptor1 wrote: June 3rd, 2022, 7:44 pm Addendum

On average, Texas teachers make about $19 per hour. Pay typically fluctuates based on experience level, grade level, and more.

Not sure how Texas are going to attract good teachers at $19 ph in a dangerous job that requires being armed and ready to make good decisions in life-and-death situations and to kill without hesitation like a seasoned war veteran.
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Sculptor1 wrote: June 3rd, 2022, 7:44 pm Addendum

That $19 hourly figure is inconsistent with the average annual figures given for Houston ($60,000) and Austin ($55,000). It is consistent with the given starting salaries for teachers with BAs and 0 years experience.

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream