Is abortion murder?

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
Misty
Premium Member

Re: Is abortion murder?

Post by Misty »

Londoner wrote:The cortex etc. will potentially develop, but that is not the same as being there now, just as the fact that I may grow into an old man does not mean I am an old man now. We do not usually treat unrealised futures as things which exist now.

After all, there is also an extremely strong possibility that sooner or later we will all die! Does it follow that this means we are as good as dead now, so it doesn't matter if somebody kills us?
Hello Londoner,

It is there, in the embryo developing from what is in the egg and of course the nourishment from its host mother.

I do not understand your reasoning in the second sentence.

Misty
Things are not always as they appear; it's a matter of perception.

The eyes can only see what the mind has, is, or will be prepared to comprehend.

I am Lion, hear me ROAR! Meow.
Spiral Out

Post by Spiral Out »

Londoner wrote:The cortex etc. will potentially develop, but that is not the same as being there now, just as the fact that I may grow into an old man does not mean I am an old man now. We do not usually treat unrealised futures as things which exist now.

After all, there is also an extremely strong possibility that sooner or later we will all die! Does it follow that this means we are as good as dead now, so it doesn't matter if somebody kills us?
These are indeed very good points, Londoner.

We as Humans absolutely do, for better or worse, consider the potential of things in our decisions and judgments. I think pro-lifers see everything as potential, which in itself isn't necessarily flawed, but they treat the potential as being something actual, which is not an accurate assessment of potential.
Dedicated to the fine art of thinking.
Misty
Premium Member

Post by Misty »

Spiral Out wrote:We as Humans absolutely do, for better or worse, consider the potential of things in our decisions and judgments. I think pro-lifers see everything as potential, which in itself isn't necessarily flawed, but they treat the potential as being something actual, which is not an accurate assessment of potential.
Do you have a mortgage? If you stop paying it you will not experience owning your home. Potential needs to be considered especially when it is about a human life. Are you pro-life? I am, but I also understand there are sometimes circumstances that may need an alternate decision. It should be rare rather than an uncaring rule.

-- Updated Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:41 pm to add the following --
Noob019 wrote:Killing that 1 sperm that will fertilize the egg is like killing the embryo. When it has the potential to grow even more be it embryo or sperm you are killing a potential human life. So i think if abortion is bad (which I don't think it is) then using condoms is equally bad.

If your very young daughter was being raped, would you prefer the rapist wear a condom or not? Or if she thought she was in love with another teen and they made love, would you rather they prevent a child with a condom or have a child neither can support? The sperm and egg on its own is designed to die unless there is union.

Londoner

Post by Londoner »

It is there, in the embryo developing from what is in the egg and of course the nourishment from its host mother.
An acorn is not an oak tree, nor does it contain an oak tree. It may become an oak tree later, but it isn't an oak tree now. This is because oak trees have a trunk and leaves and can photosynthesise. An acorn does not have any of these things.

Similarly, the cells in an embryo may be in the process of becoming a developed human but until they can perform the same functions that we associate with being a developed human they are not yet human.

The same thing happens at the end of life. After a human can no longer perform certain functions we say they are no longer human i.e. they are dead.
Spiral Out

Post by Spiral Out »

Misty wrote:Do you have a mortgage? If you stop paying it you will not experience owning your home.
Should I not go to work because of the potential that I could be electrocuted and die? What if I lose control of my car from a tire blowout and kill a family of five? Should I never drive again? Potential is everywhere, but you cannot act on potential alone.
Misty wrote:Potential needs to be considered especially when it is about a human life.
I'll have to assume that you don't find such potential in a simple sperm or an egg, so when does such potential begin? Please explain why that potential only begins when you think it does, and why it doesn't exist before that point.
Noob019

Post by Noob019 »

Misty wrote: If your very young daughter was being raped, would you prefer the rapist wear a condom or not? Or if she thought she was in love with another teen and they made love, would you rather they prevent a child with a condom or have a child neither can support? The sperm and egg on its own is designed to die unless there is union.

How is that any different from abortion? Let's say my teen daughter had sex without condoms became pregnant and did not yet kill the potential human life. How is more bad or good if she kills it after it becomes an embrio? Doesn't she deserve a second change because abortion is somehow more evil than condoms?
Misty
Premium Member

Post by Misty »

Spiral Out wrote:Should I not go to work because of the potential that I could be electrocuted and die? What if I lose control of my car from a tire blowout and kill a family of five? Should I never drive again? Potential is everywhere, but you cannot act on potential alone.

I'll have to assume that you don't find such potential in a simple sperm or an egg, so when does such potential begin? Please explain why that potential only begins when you think it does, and why it doesn't exist before that point.

No one said anyone should act on potential alone, but it should be considered.

Am I not entitled to an opinion Spiral? I am willing to listen to what you believe.

-- Updated Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:59 pm to add the following --
Noob019 wrote:How is that any different from abortion? Let's say my teen daughter had sex without condoms became pregnant and did not yet kill the potential human life. How is more bad or good if she kills it after it becomes an embrio? Doesn't she deserve a second change because abortion is somehow more evil than condoms?
Hello Noob019,

I have already given you my opinion. A sperm or egg alone is not developing into its human form, but an embryo is. I would not make a decision for you or anyone else, I was just asking you what you think. But for me, the embryo is already a unique living human in progress, a sperm or egg alone is not.

Misty

Spiral Out

Post by Spiral Out »

Misty wrote:No one said anyone should act on potential alone, but it should be considered.
So then you're pro-life until the potential is considered and then you become pro-choice? Isn't it the position of pro-lifers to act (not abort) on the mere potential of life?
Misty wrote:Am I not entitled to an opinion Spiral? I am willing to listen to what you believe.
Of course you're entitled to an opinion. I'm just asking for the particulars of that opinion. It's one thing to have an opinion, it's another thing to have an opinion you can explain. Opinions without reasons are meaningless.
Misty
Premium Member

Post by Misty »

Londoner wrote:An acorn is not an oak tree, nor does it contain an oak tree. It may become an oak tree later, but it isn't an oak tree now. This is because oak trees have a trunk and leaves and can photosynthesise. An acorn does not have any of these things.

Similarly, the cells in an embryo may be in the process of becoming a developed human but until they can perform the same functions that we associate with being a developed human they are not yet human.

The same thing happens at the end of life. After a human can no longer perform certain functions we say they are no longer human i.e. they are dead.
I believe a human who dies is still human, just a dead one.

At what point in a pregnancy would you consider abortion to be OK?

-- Updated Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:26 pm to add the following --
Spiral Out wrote:So then you're pro-life until the potential is considered and then you become pro-choice? Isn't it the position of pro-lifers to act (not abort) on the mere potential of life?

I really don't know how you got this from any of my posts. I have never gone to a pro-life meeting so I do not know what their position is.

You sure like to label people. Not my thing.

Spiral Out

Post by Spiral Out »

Misty said, "Are you pro-life? I am" so you in fact labelled yourself. And if you're pro-life then how can you not know what the pro-life position is?

I suppose you won't be answering any of my previous questions then?
Misty
Premium Member

Post by Misty »

[quote="Spiral Out"]Misty said, "Are you pro-life? I am" so you in fact labelled yourself. And if you're pro-life then how can you not know what the pro-life position is?

Spiral Out,

You are correct, I did say I am pro life, but I did not mean it in the sense of being involved with the movement. I probably should not have used 'pro-life' as others would not know I have never been involved with it. I believe human life should be spared if at all possible. However, I also understand there are situations that some people have to deal with that may not be able to honor that view.

I will answer any question you want to ask me if I can. What are your questions?

Misty
Last edited by Misty on July 30th, 2013, 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spiral Out

Post by Spiral Out »

Good, then at what point does the potential for life that you speak of emerge into existence? And when is this potential realized and become actual?
Misty
Premium Member

Post by Misty »

Spiral Out wrote:Good, then at what point does the potential for life that you speak of emerge into existence? And when is this potential realized and become actual?
Spiral,

When the sperm and egg unite, as I have already answered. I believe an embryo is the developing human and exists unless interrupted for whatever reason. Spiral, a newborn is potentially a one year old, etc., until one dies at whatever age it eventually dies. Human life from conception until death is moment by moment actuality and existence.

Misty

p.s. I like your scorpion avatar.

Thinking critical
Favorite Philosopher: A.C Grayling

Post by Thinking critical »

Abortion is a messy subject, although I'm not against it, I wouldn't say I'm all for it. The fact that we show empathy towards potential humans shows just how much humanity appreciates and values life (well some of us anyway). Personally I feel it all boils down to pain and suffering, Embryo's don't feel pain yet the potential mother may suffer consequences as a result of carrying through with the birth.
This cocky little cognitive contortionist will straighten you right out
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Misty

I believe a human who dies is still human, just a dead one.
Indeed?

Therefore we shouldn't burn or bury dead people - because we would not do those things to a live human?

I think you are something of an extremist in the abortion debate! A 'right to life' isn't usually extended to the dead!
At what point in a pregnancy would you consider abortion to be OK?
Any point before it has developed those functions that we associate with being a live human. Just as I consider cremation to be OK for people who have ceased to perform those functions that we associate with being a live human.

I willingly accept that the exact point is open to debate, but I think it is clear that a single undifferentiated cell (the fertilised egg) is not yet a live human, because it does not have the same attributes as live humans.

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream