Imprisonment, Moot.

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
Akhenaten

Imprisonment, Moot.

Post by Akhenaten »

Statistics
More than 1 in 100 American adults were incarcerated at the start of 2008.

According to the U.S. Department of Justice, as of June 30, 2007, American prisons and jails held 2,299,116 inmates.

Normal Stuff

We appear to have this... love of throwing others into cells, however let us look at this from an objective standpoint.

We remove the 'dangerous criminals' (According to the US Department of Justice, approximately 30-40 percent of all current prison admissions involve crimes that have no direct or obvious victim other than the perpetrator ((November 21, 2007)) from the streets, and sleep better at night. We don't, however, appear to have a purpose in putting them there. Yes, they are away from others, where they can harm no one... yet like an animal at the pound, we lock them into a cage, and expect a good obedient citizen to come out of the otherside. Tell me honestly, if I lock you in a cage with monsters for two years, shall you learn obedience? Or shall you, yourself, become a monster by proxy and survival?

This is the primary issue with prisons, it is supposed to be a crime stopper, yet for some strange reason those whom get out of prison have such a bad reputation it is almost impossible to get a job... why is this? People have a tendency to come from Prison a vast deal more violent than they were before... its survival. Having spent a number of months in Iraq myself, we find that any time you lock men up together, and do not let them leave, in bad conditions... fights break out... we almost had a guy shoot his Sgt simply because he was pissed one day (he is also, now, locked in a hole)... its called Cabin Fever. Letting them go outside for Recess doesn't really account for a feeling of freedom.

We often say that the greatest thing of living in our country is our Freedom, yet for some reason that is often the first thing we take from you (Completely) any time you do something that we disagree with. When we take a closer look at the Law system currently established in the united states, we find that over 63% of the laws are ones designed to protect our opinions, and to remove the contradictory opinions of others (others, of course, includes us, as there is not one citizen that agrees with all laws). How sad is it that we are willing to throw away our own people because they don't see our perspective... talk about destroying democracy.
Excerpt from my previous writings... wrote:My generation was once called the 'Future of America' though we are ignored and told we are wrong in our ideals and beliefs. How many, truly, believed that we were the future? If you believe that children are the future, perhaps we should begin listening to the children whom have reached the age to formulate a logical argument against the actions of those whom preceed us? We were the future, until it was discovered that we disagreed, and we ceased to be the future. We are now considered, by most, to be the lesser generation because we question. That, truly, was the greatest right any of us ever had... the right to question anything we so chose. We now question your actions, and this will not go away, and yes our generation will be the future, one cannot meerly ignore and hope that over a third of our population goes away.
DISCLAIMER: THIS DOCUMENT does not cover all individuals in the infinite and variable universe. This is in no way is speaking on cases of incredible, random, or odds of more than 1 : Pi against probability.
Dreamshift

Post by Dreamshift »

This sums up my feelings on prisons, this was from another thread: Does Society Need Prisons?

We have distinctly forgotten a type of person who goes to prison: the smart, but caught. If I ran a scam business that robbed hundreds of people to the point of bancrupcy what does it matter if I get fined? Let's say I'm rich, filthy stinking I've-got-accounts-in-sweeden rich any fine, no matter the reasonable amount is not something I fear. I'm citing this because what would we do with those higher ups in ENRON who left thousands in the dumps economically? What do they care about a fine? Rob them into bancrucy it doesn't matter, they're smart people and they'll find their way back up a ladder somehow. You have to put these people in prison. THey have no mental illness but the desire to be greedy and get away with it. You can't rehbilitate the genious and greedy,you could try to make them feel guilty and regretful, but really? they rob thousands of millions of dallars and they just get to feel regretful? That's not nearly enough for what they did. REAL criminals are people who are right in the head, but for reasons of personal gain, do things that hurt others. They aren't ill, they aren't incidental in their crimes--they just got caught. You can't change them with pills or thearapy, they do know better, but their personal desires overode that knowledege. You need prision for these people, ONLY these people. Yeah, a flasher doesn't really need a prison sentnce (and doesn't), nor does a mentally handicapped person who kills some one because they were angry (and they don't go to prison either). And yeah, unidentified illnesses in a person can cause them to do things, and yes the shouldn't go to prison. But for those who are mentally healthy and commit crimes for selfgain do deserve to go to prison.

A colombian drug lord might have his share of mental baggage, but he desrves to go to prison for the countless people he had to scilence to make his buck.

An Enron CEO could have been poor and distitute in his childhood, and made him work super hard to get there, and it could have made him feel ok when he smashed peoples faces as he climbed over them on the ladder. (I'm not rolling in it, and so I don't think that being poor makes you do bad things, Good people can be poor too--ruthless people as well) They deserve to go to prison

You can't just fine a company or treat the CEOs of that company when they do something illgal. If you fine them, then its just a math game. If their lawyers tell them that the maximum fine for dumping chemicals into a lake is X amount of dollars, but to dispose of the chemicals is >X amount of dollars, then they'll risk the fine to get away with poisoning an entire ecosystem. You have to do something to them that is more than money or a slap on the wrist that won't cure them of being greedy: prison sentences.
Better to argue and discuss disenting opinions, than to all agree and never know the truth.
Belinda
Premium Member

Post by Belinda »

I agree that imprisoning people does not in itself turn them into good citizens, and usually makes them worse than when they went inside.

The answer my friend is reducing the poverty and meaninglessness that is the root cause of most crime.
(I'm not rolling in it, and so I don't think that being poor makes you do bad things
(Dreamshift)

Right, Dreamshift.( I dont have much money either) However being poor is significantly often a necessary condition though not a sufficient condition for becoming a criminal.

for those who are in prison for the protection of the majority they should ,especially the young, be rehabilitated to such effect so that on release they will be successful in not re-offending.
You can't rehbilitate the genious and greedy,you could try to make them feel guilty and regretful, but really?
(Dreamshift)

I agree you cannot rehabilitate some psychopaths.These have to be locked up permanently for the protection of the majority, with many safeguards such as testimony from psychiatrists. Problem is that imprisonment on psychiatric grounds has been misused as in the old USSR.The authorities simply shifted the goal posts.Is the answer increasing deterrents to corporate crime, as well as the state employing experts who are able to detect when corporate crimes are taking place?

Many people cannot understand why our government here in the UK has not effected this . We have a Financial Services Authority, a non-governmental organisation with a remit to protect consumers and examine the financial affairs of businesses ,which obviously has failed to protect customers against the risky and possibly criminal activities of some bankers.

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream