Life is benevolent, do you agree?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, The Maestro Monologue: Discover your Genius, Defeat your intruder, Design your destiny by Rob White
Sushan
Book of the Month Discussion Leader

Life is benevolent, do you agree?

Post by Sushan »

This topic is about the May 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, The Maestro Monologue: Discover your Genius, Defeat your intruder, Design your destiny by Rob White

Life is benevolent. Life never blinks. Life is always responding to what you think.
(Location 157 - Kindle version)

This author implies that life always watch upon us and responds to what we think. So, as per my understanding, then the life should go on as we wish. But life is not like that. It has many ups, which we like, and many downs, which we do not like or wish to have.

Can we really say life is benevolent?
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
LuckyR

Re: Life is benevolent, do you agree?

Post by LuckyR »

Sushan wrote: May 3rd, 2022, 10:18 pm This topic is about the May 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, The Maestro Monologue: Discover your Genius, Defeat your intruder, Design your destiny by Rob White

Life is benevolent. Life never blinks. Life is always responding to what you think.

This author implies that life always watch upon us and responds to what we think. So, as per my understanding, then the life should go on as we wish. But life is not like that. It has many ups, which we like, and many downs, which we do not like or wish to have.

It sounds like you guys are using the word "life" to mean "life experiences". I don't believe life experiences have volition. That is, they don't have an agenda to fulfill.
"As usual... it depends."
GrayArea

Post by GrayArea »

To us, or to the Universe?

When it comes to us, I can say this:

Good / Benevolence is what we approve. Bad is what we don't approve. Life is not what we "approve", it's just literally equivalent to the word "we". It's what approves or disapproves, what contains all good and bad events. Like a jar that contains good things and bad things. The jar itself is not good or bad.

On the other hand, when it comes to life being a force of benevolence from the perspective of the Universe, I can say this:

The existence or the nonexistence of life does not each affect the Universe in a good or a bad way, because whether life exists or it doesn't, the Universe will be itself. It does not matter.
People perceive gray and argue about whether it's black or white.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Sushan wrote: May 3rd, 2022, 10:18 pm Can we really say life is benevolent?
No, we can't. The question can be easily rephrased into a more common one: can we really say life is good? This is, I think (?), another good vs. evil topic. Such questions rarely seem to lead anywhere useful; perhaps this topic will be the exception?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
CIN

Post by CIN »

My wife has a defect in her DNA that has so far caused her to have three life-threatening and disfiguring cancers.

No, life is not benevolent.
Philosophy is a waste of time. But then, so is most of life.
stevie

Post by stevie »

"Life" is merely an idea produced by brain's conceptual capacity.
mankind ... must act and reason and believe; though they are not able, by their most diligent enquiry, to satisfy themselves concerning the foundation of these operations, or to remove the objections, which may be raised against them [Hume]
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

LuckyR wrote: May 4th, 2022, 2:14 am
Sushan wrote: May 3rd, 2022, 10:18 pm This topic is about the May 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, The Maestro Monologue: Discover your Genius, Defeat your intruder, Design your destiny by Rob White

It sounds like you guys are using the word "life" to mean "life experiences". I don't believe life experiences have volition. That is, they don't have an agenda to fulfill.
Well, I took it as 'fate'. If we are always subjected to good a fate then all our dreams should come true. But in the real world no one experiences such an ideal condition. If it is taken as 'life experiences', then I think it is completely upto individual selves to mould them, rather than any volition happening from the side of life experiences.
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

GrayArea wrote: May 4th, 2022, 2:38 am To us, or to the Universe?

Good / Benevolence is what we approve. Bad is what we don't approve. Life is not what we "approve", it's just literally equivalent to the word "we". It's what approves or disapproves, what contains all good and bad events. Like a jar that contains good things and bad things. The jar itself is not good or bad.

On the other hand, when it comes to life being a force of benevolence from the perspective of the Universe, I can say this:

The existence or the nonexistence of life does not each affect the Universe in a good or a bad way, because whether life exists or it doesn't, the Universe will be itself. It does not matter.
We expect our lives to go on in a certain way. When everything goes as per our liking, we say it is good, and the life becomes benevolent. If life is the 'jar', then where are ourselves located? Is it within the jar, totally outside the jar, or some other existence?

As per the universe, yes, it does not matter whether we exist or not for the existence of the universe. But humans are capable of destroying anything, and I am doubtful whether the universe can be excluded from that fate.

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Pattern-chaser wrote: May 4th, 2022, 8:04 am
No, we can't. The question can be easily rephrased into a more common one: can we really say life is good? This is, I think (?), another good vs. evil topic. Such questions rarely seem to lead anywhere useful; perhaps this topic will be the exception?
It is hard to see white or black aspects in many things. Usually it is grey. And I think life has the same quality. So, yes, I think you are correct, we simply cannot say life is benevolent. But then what might the author wanted to tell us? To be optimistic? To take everything as good?

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

CIN wrote: May 5th, 2022, 3:15 am
My wife has a defect in her DNA that has so far caused her to have three life-threatening and disfiguring cancers.

No, life is not benevolent.
I am sad to here that and feel very sorry for your wife's situation.

There are a lot of people who have gained nothing but bad and discouraging blows from life. So for people like you who have first hand experience about the bad aspects of life, life can never be said or felt as benevolent, and I agree with you.

– William James
GrayArea

Post by GrayArea »

Sushan wrote: May 17th, 2022, 10:25 pm

We expect our lives to go on in a certain way. When everything goes as per our liking, we say it is good, and the life becomes benevolent. If life is the 'jar', then where are ourselves located? Is it within the jar, totally outside the jar, or some other existence?

As per the universe, yes, it does not matter whether we exist or not for the existence of the universe. But humans are capable of destroying anything, and I am doubtful whether the universe can be excluded from that fate.
My view is that if life is the jar, we are.

Also my bad, I should have said "reality as a whole" instead of the universe, when I said that it does not matter whether we exist or not for the existence of the universe. As in, the entirety of existence itself beyond a single universe—all universes, all dimensions, everything. I doubt that human beings can destroy the concept of existence itself. They will only end up embracing existence as long as they exist and do things.
Last edited by GrayArea on May 17th, 2022, 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

stevie wrote: May 8th, 2022, 5:43 am
"Life" is merely an idea produced by brain's conceptual capacity.
Maybe you are correct. But then what about 'death'? Is it a mere concept produced by our brains? Living and dying, are these only either illustrations or conceptual ideas? Do we never really live or die, but act according to the chemical reactions of our brains and bodies?

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

GrayArea wrote: May 17th, 2022, 10:31 pm

I am sorry but I did not get you. Can you please elaborate on that. Thank you

– William James
GrayArea

Post by GrayArea »

Sushan wrote: May 17th, 2022, 10:33 pm
GrayArea wrote: May 17th, 2022, 10:31 pm

I am sorry but I did not get you. Can you please elaborate on that. Thank you
Well, I simply meant that life equals ourselves. Just two different words for the same concept. There is no other complex causality or anything. Also, I've used the edit tool to extend my previous reply, so feel free to check that one out as well.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Sushan wrote: May 17th, 2022, 10:28 pm But then what might the author wanted to tell us? To be optimistic? To take everything as good?
Life happens; the universe changes and progresses. To us, at least, it is a near-infinite series of dice rolls. Is it rational, or wise, to hope for all 6s and no 1s? Are we really asking for a world where only 6s are rolled? Are we that naive? Should we not just accept that life will throw all the numbers at us, from 1 to 6? After all, whether we accept it or not, it will happen. So will we accept what is, or will we fight it, pointlessly and unsuccessfully? The Tao is the path; follow it, and enjoy the journey.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"

Return to “The Maestro Monologue: Discover your Genius, Defeat your intruder, Design your destiny by Rob White”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream