What makes a Country Great?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, What Makes America Great by Bob Dowell
Count Lucanor
Favorite Philosopher: Umberto Eco

Re: What makes a Country Great?

Post by Count Lucanor »

Pattern-chaser wrote: June 5th, 2022, 7:00 am Our motivations are not at issue here. It's not why we crave (unattainable) certainty, it's that we do crave it.
So then "fatal attractions" and "pointless extravagance of intellectual autoeroticism" are irrelevant. I agree. Some people (like me) still would like to have an opinion that is more than one's personal, subjective, visceral, point of view, making it a rational subject of discussion instead of mere exhortation to share one's gut-felt beliefs. Are rational discussions attainable? I'm pretty sure they are.
The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser wrote: June 5th, 2022, 7:00 am Our motivations are not at issue here. It's not why we crave (unattainable) certainty, it's that we do crave it.
Count Lucanor wrote: June 5th, 2022, 5:40 pm So then "fatal attractions" and "pointless extravagance of intellectual autoeroticism" are irrelevant. I agree.
No, not irrelevant. Those words are me insulting a thing ("Objectivity") that is tempting, even addictive, but ultimately fails to deliver what it promises.

Count Lucanor wrote: June 5th, 2022, 5:40 pm Some people (like me) still would like to have an opinion that is more than one's personal, subjective, visceral, point of view, making it a rational subject of discussion instead of mere exhortation to share one's gut-felt beliefs. Are rational discussions attainable? I'm pretty sure they are.
I think you confuse rationality and certainty. The former is often attainable, if we're careful. The latter is not. We can guess, and express tentative confidence based on our guesses, that are often accurate, but we cannot know for certain.

I understand and accept your wishful thinking; certainty would definitely be useful, if it was attainable, but it is not. I would rather like it if the world I know had room in it for magic, proper magic such as wizards do. But that too is just wishful thinking, and my wish for it is probably not going to make it happen, is it? 😉 The same applies to your own wish for certainty; it's a fairy tale quest; unattainable, despite your fervent wishes.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Count Lucanor
Favorite Philosopher: Umberto Eco

Post by Count Lucanor »

Pattern-chaser wrote: June 6th, 2022, 7:26 am
Count Lucanor wrote: June 5th, 2022, 5:40 pm So then "fatal attractions" and "pointless extravagance of intellectual autoeroticism" are irrelevant. I agree.
No, not irrelevant. Those words are me insulting a thing ("Objectivity") that is tempting, even addictive, but ultimately fails to deliver what it promises.

Count Lucanor wrote: June 5th, 2022, 5:40 pm Some people (like me) still would like to have an opinion that is more than one's personal, subjective, visceral, point of view, making it a rational subject of discussion instead of mere exhortation to share one's gut-felt beliefs. Are rational discussions attainable? I'm pretty sure they are.
I think you confuse rationality and certainty. The former is often attainable, if we're careful. The latter is not. We can guess, and express tentative confidence based on our guesses, that are often accurate, but we cannot know for certain.

I understand and accept your wishful thinking; certainty would definitely be useful, if it was attainable, but it is not. I would rather like it if the world I know had room in it for magic, proper magic such as wizards do. But that too is just wishful thinking, and my wish for it is probably not going to make it happen, is it? 😉 The same applies to your own wish for certainty; it's a fairy tale quest; unattainable, despite your fervent wishes.
I don't know from where you got the idea that I "wish for certainty", and by that I'm pretty sure you mean "absolute certainty". Not my words, I talked about objectivity and rational discussions, which put us in a field more stable for consensus and intellectual progress. Is it playing safer than speaking from your gut? Yes, it is.

Now, those who defend epistemological agnosticism could get away with it if they didn't commit the error of contradicting their own stance when asserting that we indeed CAN KNOW one thing for certain: that we cannot know for certain. If I believed you, that statement would be just a guess, wishful thinking, a fairy tale quest, an expression of your tentative confidence. I'll choose to believe you, leaving my own "tentative confidence" doing pretty well.
The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

chewybrian wrote: June 3rd, 2022, 7:53 pm
Did you ever read "Island" by Aldous Huxley? It's a great book. He uses the story as a vehicle to lay out his idea of what an ideal society would look like. It was not about GDP or military power, for sure, but about enabling every citizen to experience the most complete and fulfilling life possible. Children were taught logic and science and math, but also (and more importantly) creativity, kindness, empathy and such. I don't want to spill too much if you haven't read it.
Yes. "Greatness" as applied to countries means, "Exemplifies some ideologue's vision of Utopia."
stevie

Post by stevie »

Sushan wrote: June 3rd, 2022, 7:13 am ... What is greatness actually with regard to a country? Is it its history, current status, GDP, people, economy, politics, or something else? Or is this merely a word used to discriminate countries and their people? Or is greatness merely an illusion?
I guess it may be pride about and/or affection for one's homeland and its native culture, so no inherent quality of the country.
mankind ... must act and reason and believe; though they are not able, by their most diligent enquiry, to satisfy themselves concerning the foundation of these operations, or to remove the objections, which may be raised against them [Hume]
chewybrian
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Post by chewybrian »

GE Morton wrote: June 6th, 2022, 11:23 pm
Did you ever read "Island" by Aldous Huxley? It's a great book. He uses the story as a vehicle to lay out his idea of what an ideal society would look like. It was not about GDP or military power, for sure, but about enabling every citizen to experience the most complete and fulfilling life possible. Children were taught logic and science and math, but also (and more importantly) creativity, kindness, empathy and such. I don't want to spill too much if you haven't read it.
Yes. "Greatness" as applied to countries means, "Exemplifies some ideologue's vision of Utopia."
Greatness is measured only in dollars. We get it. You said it a thousand times. It's basically all you have to say.
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Count Lucanor wrote: June 6th, 2022, 12:52 pm I don't know from where you got the idea that I "wish for certainty", and by that I'm pretty sure you mean "absolute certainty".
👍

Count Lucanor wrote: June 6th, 2022, 12:52 pm Not my words, I talked about objectivity...
...which, as you know, is a word that covers a multitude of 'sins'. If you meant something mild and meaningless, like 'pretty much unbiased', or 'more or less impartial', you should've said so! 😉
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Sushan
Book of the Month Discussion Leader

Post by Sushan »

Pattern-chaser wrote: June 3rd, 2022, 12:01 pm
Sushan wrote: June 3rd, 2022, 7:13 am How can we say a country is great? What is greatness actually with regard to a country? Is it its history, current status, GDP, people, economy, politics, or something else? Or is this merely a word used to discriminate countries and their people? Or is greatness merely an illusion?
In the positive sense of "that's great!" - intended as praise - I am struggling to think of a single great country, past or present.

But "great" might also mean "powerful", and there, there is no lack of prospective candidates. But not one of those candidates approaches the positivity of "that's great!", I'm afraid.

So it depends on how we mean the word "great". 🤔🤔🤔
That is the thing. When this question was raised by the author, 'what makes America great?', I had the similar question, what is actually meant by 'greatness of a country'? There are powerful countries, rich countries, 'great to live-in' countries, but no collective definition for a country being great.
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

gad-fly wrote: June 3rd, 2022, 2:23 pm
Sushan wrote: June 3rd, 2022, 7:13 am
What is greatness actually with regard to a country? Is it its history, current status, GDP, people, economy, politics, or something else? Or is this merely a word used to discriminate countries and their people? Or is greatness merely an illusion?
Is it . . .? Yes, everything. Great is a general adjective to compliment. Is it a word to discriminate? Someone hunting for demon would say that. Is it an illusion? To say that is a delusion to escape from facing reality.
If its a general complement, those who disagree can say not great. Complements are used not only to complement, but to discriminate as well. We do not say great to everyone or everything, and that means the ones that are not mentioned are not so great, and that is a piece of discrimination.
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Pattern-chaser wrote: June 3rd, 2022, 12:01 pm
Sushan wrote: June 3rd, 2022, 7:13 am How can we say a country is great? What is greatness actually with regard to a country? Is it its history, current status, GDP, people, economy, politics, or something else? Or is this merely a word used to discriminate countries and their people? Or is greatness merely an illusion?
In the positive sense of "that's great!" - intended as praise - I am struggling to think of a single great country, past or present.

But "great" might also mean "powerful", and there, there is no lack of prospective candidates. But not one of those candidates approaches the positivity of "that's great!", I'm afraid.

Thank you for mentioning the book, and I this is I must try it. But the problem with such ideas is that they are not norms in the mundane world, but are thoughts and suggestions of a single person. And that may or may not be accepted by others as being great. For those who already experience a prosperous life such a wonderful society may not be a necessity, and their needs can be far more bigger than that, but may not be great in the view of the others.

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Count Lucanor wrote: June 3rd, 2022, 9:30 pm
Sushan wrote: June 3rd, 2022, 7:13 am This topic is about the June 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, What Makes America Great by Bob Dowell

This author has tried to show what has made, and currently making America great. Despite America's greatness (or not) is a separate topic to discuss, this book gives rise to a much bigger question.

How can we say a country is great? What is greatness actually with regard to a country? Is it its history, current status, GDP, people, economy, politics, or something else? Or is this merely a word used to discriminate countries and their people? Or is greatness merely an illusion?
I haven't read that book, but I think I have a fair knowledge of what is about based on reviews. Most likely I will never read it, unless I wanted to vomit.

Talking about "greatness" of a country seems pointless, if not for propaganda purposes or other attempts to play with political ideologies for proselytizing. The appeal to history (and also religion in Dowell's narrative) makes it particularly fitted to these purposes, trying to sell the idea of a "manifest destiny".

If an objective criteria had to be defined for declaring "greatness", I would ask that it focused on current measurable conditions as indicators that a standard of greatness is met.
I agree. The author has tried to show that America has been great in the past, and he describes its history and religious background to prove his point. In sociology many formulas are formed to measure various social factors. I think such an objective formula, as you suggested, is better to consider ongoing facts and to decide whether a country is great or not.

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

heracleitos wrote: June 3rd, 2022, 10:05 pm The question only matters when you actively choose the country to live in. If you don't have a choice or do not want to make a choice, then the question is irrelevant.

I move where I am treated best.

I make all my money online. So, there is no requirement for me to be physically present anywhere in particular.

First of all, I do not agree to stay in countries where the government interferes in any way between man and woman, or parents and children.

Most countries outside the West don't do that. So, approximately 80% of the world's surface satisfies this requirement.

Secondly, I do not want to pay income tax or social security levies. In practice, I never have to do that outside the West.

Of course, I also prefer places that have functioning utilities, such as electricity, running water, and fast internet.

I also prefer to live in a building with 24/7 security guard, swimming pool, and gym. But then again, you can get these facilities in all capital cities in the world, and even in many of the provincial cities.

In SE Asia, these things seem to be generally much cheaper than elsewhere.

Furthermore, there also needs to be a relative shortage of men with good finances in the area, as well as a surplus of young, pretty, undamaged women.

SE Asia is exactly like that, and therefore a great area to live in.

In my opinion, living outside the West is much better for your private life as well as for your personal finances. The same dollars buy you a lot more.
What a view! I think most of men (including myself) think of such an ideal world, and in addition I would like to stay without even working to earn my money, LOL. But every city, every country, every region has its drawbacks, and it is really hard to be fully satisfied despite you choose the best place to live as per your requirements. Only a comparatively better place can be chosen, which will be the most great in our own eyes.

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Good_Egg wrote: June 4th, 2022, 4:35 am
Pattern-chaser wrote: June 3rd, 2022, 12:01 pm In the positive sense of "that's great!" - intended as praise - I am struggling to think of a single great country, past or present.

There are these two dimensions, yes. Power and positivity, if you will.

I think what's meant by "great" in this context is a country that one can take pride in.

It's hard to be proud of a militarily and economically weak country that acts as others tell it to.

But also hard to be proud of a country that's successful only in amorally promoting its own self-interest.

I suggest that what we take pride in is a country that effectively acts in the world to promote our values.

"Making a country great" is about getting back that sense of collective self-belief. The belief that one's country is a force for good in the world, whether that good is conceived as civilisation, or peace between nations, or justice, or any other value.

What it's opposed to is that cultural relativism which insists that no country can ever be a force for justice or civilisation because everyone else's idea of justice or civilisation is necessarily as good as one's own.
It is good if you can be proud of your motherland, or the country where you currently live in. But if your status of living is poor and your country does not try anything to make it better, what is the point being proud about it based on its history, military power, and economical strength. To have such a feeling a person should have quite a big heart and a very positive mind-set.

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Pattern-chaser wrote: June 4th, 2022, 7:00 am
Count Lucanor wrote: June 3rd, 2022, 9:30 pm If an objective criteria had to be defined for declaring "greatness", I would ask that it focused on current measurable conditions as indicators that a standard of greatness is met.
I think that this topic, and many similar ones, do not gain anything from an attempt to convert human value judgements into something "objective", defined, and precise. I suspect that such a conversion is not even possible. I wonder why some of us feel such a need for certainty? 🤔
Objective measures are necessary to avoid arguments. If there was an objective measure this author may not have a cause to even write his book, and America may not have been divided based on what Trump said. If there was an objective score either he would have been accepted or merely rejected. All the arguments are occurred due to the uncertainty.

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Count Lucanor wrote: June 4th, 2022, 11:32 am
Pattern-chaser wrote: June 4th, 2022, 7:00 am
Count Lucanor wrote: June 3rd, 2022, 9:30 pm If an objective criteria had to be defined for declaring "greatness", I would ask that it focused on current measurable conditions as indicators that a standard of greatness is met.
I think that this topic, and many similar ones, do not gain anything from an attempt to convert human value judgements into something "objective", defined, and precise. I suspect that such a conversion is not even possible. I wonder why some of us feel such a need for certainty? 🤔
I agree this is not the most appropriate subject for which one would create a standard and measure the performance against it, but any attempt to qualify something, should set up a measurable criteria to do so. Anyone could replicate the measurement and at least we can talk objectively about the distance from the point of reference. That's how we worked out geographic coordinates and came up with very useful stuff to do with them. The reference criteria is disputable, though. Take the definition of "poverty" from the World Bank, for example.
Having an objective measure will avoid any arguments and it will bring certainty. But the effort to make such a measure is quite tiresome, and before even beginning such an endeavor the necessity and value should be evaluated. What is the actual need of an objective way to measure the greatness of a country? I see none.

– William James

Return to “What Makes America Great by Bob Dowell”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream