Beliefs regarding common things, should there be many, or should there be only one?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, The Truth Is Beyond Belief!: Some thoughts to make you think about the power of your thoughts…by Jerry Durr
User avatar
Pattern-chaser
Posts: 4700
Joined: September 22nd, 2019, 5:17 am
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus
Location: England

Re: Beliefs regarding common things, should there be many, or should there be only one?

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Sushan wrote: July 24th, 2022, 2:39 pm Arguments can lead towards discovering truth. But they can lead people towards believing in false things just because the liar was good in debating.
That depends on whether argument is co-operative or adversarial. The latter can be 'won' by a skilled debater; the former cannot.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
User avatar
Sushan
Book of the Month Discussion Leader
Posts: 1060
Joined: February 19th, 2021, 8:12 pm
Contact:

Re: Beliefs regarding common things, should there be many, or should there be only one?

Post by Sushan »

stevie wrote: July 25th, 2022, 1:10 am
Sushan wrote: July 24th, 2022, 2:33 pm
stevie wrote: July 14th, 2022, 11:42 pm
Sushan wrote: July 14th, 2022, 9:52 pm

I think the issue lies with our minds. Our minds tend to form hypotheses and guesses on its own, and when we think over and over about them they simply become beliefs. And we find it difficult to shed off these beliefs even if they are proven wrong with enough objective evidence.
To me it does not appear that beliefs are a necessary result of self-conditiong through repeatedly thinking certain thoughts because even though thoughts may rearise due to being repeatedly thought I do not necessarily believe my thoughts to be or represent truth or reality.
It is good if we can hold fair ideas about our own thoughts. But when they re-arise and we think upon them, eventually they become more familiar to us, and we build resistance against different ideas, unknowingly to ourselves. When such a phenomena ooccurs in a group of people, such ththoughts can become beliefs, and with the necessary fuel they can last for eons.
That appears rather speculative. Also, the meaning of "resistance against ideas" isn't clear: it may cover "actively fighthing against" and/or "being upset about" or merely "not being mentally affected by [i.e. being equanimous towards]".
It appears natural to accept some ideas but to ignore other ideas because it appears natural to build up a conceptual framing for expressing one's experiences. To me it seems that I would not even be able to verbally express myself without a conceptual framing. However the point here is "belief" and thus the point is whether one necessarily needs to believe the ideas one accepts to be or represent truth or reality which I have negated above.
Accepting or rejecting ideas or concepts can be done mentally. But it is a choice that one makes whether to actively reject it or to have a personal disliking towards it without wording it. I think that has something to do with personality as well. There is no necessity in believing anything. There are people who still disagree with the fact that our earth is a sphere, and I do not see they facing any issues while carrying on their lives with regard to that belief.
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
User avatar
Sushan
Book of the Month Discussion Leader
Posts: 1060
Joined: February 19th, 2021, 8:12 pm
Contact:

Re: Beliefs regarding common things, should there be many, or should there be only one?

Post by Sushan »

LuckyR wrote: July 25th, 2022, 3:13 am
Sushan wrote: July 24th, 2022, 2:42 pm
LuckyR wrote: July 15th, 2022, 10:53 am The metaphysical belongs in the realm of belief and therefore contains a subjective element. Thus various folks will have various beliefs by definition. One single belief is the goal of organized religion. But as we all know, even if everyone subscribed to organized religion, there are numerous religions. So no, not possible.
Yes. And in addition, within no time any religion develops sub groups, and we see this in every major religion in the world. So, we are unable to agree upon even an organized belief. Despite everything the religion says the followers tend to develop their own thoughts and beliefs, diversifying even the organized, single minded beliefs. Everything is subjective ay the end of the day.
Everything metaphysical definitely contains an element of subjectivity. The perception of everything is subjective, that is different from everything is subjective.
Metaphysics usually goes hand in hand with abstract thinking. You see what you see and believe what you perceive, and nothing more. So it is almost always subjective, either to individuals or to groups. When groups are involved they can evolve into beliefs.
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
User avatar
Sushan
Book of the Month Discussion Leader
Posts: 1060
Joined: February 19th, 2021, 8:12 pm
Contact:

Re: Beliefs regarding common things, should there be many, or should there be only one?

Post by Sushan »

Pattern-chaser wrote: July 25th, 2022, 11:22 am
Sushan wrote: July 24th, 2022, 2:39 pm Arguments can lead towards discovering truth. But they can lead people towards believing in false things just because the liar was good in debating.
That depends on whether argument is co-operative or adversarial. The latter can be 'won' by a skilled debater; the former cannot.
Well, I think even the latter can be won by a less skilled debater if he/she uses correct facts with enough evidence. And we usually see that in law enforcements. It is true that all the court cases are not won by the correct side, but they are not won purely on the skill of debating.
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
User avatar
Pattern-chaser
Posts: 4700
Joined: September 22nd, 2019, 5:17 am
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus
Location: England

Re: Beliefs regarding common things, should there be many, or should there be only one?

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Sushan wrote: July 25th, 2022, 10:22 pm
Pattern-chaser wrote: July 25th, 2022, 11:22 am
Sushan wrote: July 24th, 2022, 2:39 pm Arguments can lead towards discovering truth. But they can lead people towards believing in false things just because the liar was good in debating.
That depends on whether argument is co-operative or adversarial. The latter can be 'won' by a skilled debater; the former cannot.
Well, I think even the latter can be won by a less skilled debater if he/she uses correct facts with enough evidence. And we usually see that in law enforcements. It is true that all the court cases are not won by the correct side, but they are not won purely on the skill of debating.
And yet we have to accept that sometimes, arguments are 'won' by debating 'skill', even in the presence of factual evidence to the contrary.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
User avatar
LuckyR
Moderator
Posts: 6549
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 1:16 am

Re: Beliefs regarding common things, should there be many, or should there be only one?

Post by LuckyR »

Pattern-chaser wrote: July 26th, 2022, 8:14 am
Sushan wrote: July 25th, 2022, 10:22 pm
Pattern-chaser wrote: July 25th, 2022, 11:22 am
Sushan wrote: July 24th, 2022, 2:39 pm Arguments can lead towards discovering truth. But they can lead people towards believing in false things just because the liar was good in debating.
That depends on whether argument is co-operative or adversarial. The latter can be 'won' by a skilled debater; the former cannot.
Well, I think even the latter can be won by a less skilled debater if he/she uses correct facts with enough evidence. And we usually see that in law enforcements. It is true that all the court cases are not won by the correct side, but they are not won purely on the skill of debating.
And yet we have to accept that sometimes, arguments are 'won' by debating 'skill', even in the presence of factual evidence to the contrary.
The entire legal profession is based on this reality.
"As usual... it depends."
mrdim
Posts: 46
Joined: March 18th, 2020, 4:10 pm

Re: Beliefs regarding common things, should there be many, or should there be only one?

Post by mrdim »

It seems to me that democracy is an effective value to follow in societies that are free and productive, at least in theory anyway.

Repeating thoughts and disbelieving old thoughts does indeed become a problem, but in the sciences the methods used are often repeated in different ways and variations in order to ascertain the facts about the world we live in: a sort of never ending process that entails the specialisation of knowledge. This specialisation is what drives science forward so that we gain at least some kind of 'appreciation' of the universe and the world we inhabit.

In order to be even more factual than we already are about the universe, could the key here, be that we ought to be more reliant upon idealism, where knowledge and reality exists in the mind to dictate what occurs in the universe, or even that reality exists in the mind of God?

A thought can sometimes be expressed as an object, and an object expressed as a thought, so the same is true for idealism. Reality, when we are niave about it, can be expressed in countless number of ways.

The best thing is to think of it all as a growing capacity and not a regimented faculty of mind/matter.

We can grow with the universe, and I think that we can develop our understanding of limitations that can be nurtured to develop new products of our existence.

As we do not know the true nature of time, the universe may have knowable limitations, that, when manipulated in non-linear time, will transform into a whole new world of permutations and expressions.
User avatar
Sushan
Book of the Month Discussion Leader
Posts: 1060
Joined: February 19th, 2021, 8:12 pm
Contact:

Re: Beliefs regarding common things, should there be many, or should there be only one?

Post by Sushan »

Pattern-chaser wrote: July 26th, 2022, 8:14 am
Sushan wrote: July 25th, 2022, 10:22 pm
Pattern-chaser wrote: July 25th, 2022, 11:22 am
Sushan wrote: July 24th, 2022, 2:39 pm Arguments can lead towards discovering truth. But they can lead people towards believing in false things just because the liar was good in debating.
That depends on whether argument is co-operative or adversarial. The latter can be 'won' by a skilled debater; the former cannot.
Well, I think even the latter can be won by a less skilled debater if he/she uses correct facts with enough evidence. And we usually see that in law enforcements. It is true that all the court cases are not won by the correct side, but they are not won purely on the skill of debating.
And yet we have to accept that sometimes, arguments are 'won' by debating 'skill', even in the presence of factual evidence to the contrary.
I agree, and we have to agree that it is technically as well as ethically wrong. The facts are facts. There are skilled debaters who can even twist the facts, and they win sometimes. But the result will be ethically and morally wrong.
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
User avatar
Sushan
Book of the Month Discussion Leader
Posts: 1060
Joined: February 19th, 2021, 8:12 pm
Contact:

Re: Beliefs regarding common things, should there be many, or should there be only one?

Post by Sushan »

LuckyR wrote: July 26th, 2022, 12:39 pm
Pattern-chaser wrote: July 26th, 2022, 8:14 am
Sushan wrote: July 25th, 2022, 10:22 pm
Pattern-chaser wrote: July 25th, 2022, 11:22 am

That depends on whether argument is co-operative or adversarial. The latter can be 'won' by a skilled debater; the former cannot.
Well, I think even the latter can be won by a less skilled debater if he/she uses correct facts with enough evidence. And we usually see that in law enforcements. It is true that all the court cases are not won by the correct side, but they are not won purely on the skill of debating.
And yet we have to accept that sometimes, arguments are 'won' by debating 'skill', even in the presence of factual evidence to the contrary.
The entire legal profession is based on this reality.
I think I have to agree with you, though the lawyers may not openly admit it 🙃
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
User avatar
Pattern-chaser
Posts: 4700
Joined: September 22nd, 2019, 5:17 am
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus
Location: England

Re: Beliefs regarding common things, should there be many, or should there be only one?

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser wrote: July 26th, 2022, 8:14 am And yet we have to accept that sometimes, arguments are 'won' by debating 'skill', even in the presence of factual evidence to the contrary.
Sushan wrote: July 29th, 2022, 10:22 pm I agree, and we have to agree that it is technically as well as ethically wrong. The facts are facts. There are skilled debaters who can even twist the facts, and they win sometimes. But the result will be ethically and morally wrong...
...and yet the verdict will stand, and another innocent American (?) will go to gaol for a Very Long Time.

I find it difficult to see any positive recommendation for adversarial argument, that we usually call "debate".
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
User avatar
AlekiNderitu
New Trial Member
Posts: 1
Joined: July 30th, 2022, 10:07 am

Re: Beliefs regarding common things, should there be many, or should there be only one?

Post by AlekiNderitu »

Truth is always objective. Events only unfold one way. Our perception of it may be subjective varying from one individual to another but truth is objective. However, in physics reality is based off perception. Without an observer it is just a probabilistic haze. Observation brings it down to one possibility. So would flawed observation mean truth is based off an observer's point of view? I guess it all boils down to the old philosophical question. If a tree falls in the forest with no one around, does it make a sound?
User avatar
Pattern-chaser
Posts: 4700
Joined: September 22nd, 2019, 5:17 am
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus
Location: England

Re: Beliefs regarding common things, should there be many, or should there be only one?

Post by Pattern-chaser »

AlekiNderitu wrote: July 30th, 2022, 10:16 am Truth is always objective. Events only unfold one way. Our perception of it may be subjective varying from one individual to another but truth is objective.
I'm not sure it's that simple. But I have a question:

Truth may (or may not) be objective, but "objective" is inaccessible. Thus, what you say reduces to something that we believe to be true, but cannot demonstrate. My question is, what point is there is asserting the objectivity of truth when that supposed objectivity cannot be demonstrated, tested or even observed?


AlekiNderitu wrote: July 30th, 2022, 10:16 am However, in physics reality is based off perception. Without an observer it is just a probabilistic haze. Observation brings it down to one possibility. So would flawed observation mean truth is based off an observer's point of view?
No, I think it might mean that flawed observations, acted upon, will surely lead to flawed conclusions?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
User avatar
LuckyR
Moderator
Posts: 6549
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 1:16 am

Re: Beliefs regarding common things, should there be many, or should there be only one?

Post by LuckyR »

Sushan wrote: July 29th, 2022, 10:23 pm
LuckyR wrote: July 26th, 2022, 12:39 pm
Pattern-chaser wrote: July 26th, 2022, 8:14 am
Sushan wrote: July 25th, 2022, 10:22 pm

Well, I think even the latter can be won by a less skilled debater if he/she uses correct facts with enough evidence. And we usually see that in law enforcements. It is true that all the court cases are not won by the correct side, but they are not won purely on the skill of debating.
And yet we have to accept that sometimes, arguments are 'won' by debating 'skill', even in the presence of factual evidence to the contrary.
The entire legal profession is based on this reality.
I think I have to agree with you, though the lawyers may not openly admit it 🙃
I think they like to brag that they can convince anyone of anything.

Let alone the advertising industry.
"As usual... it depends."
Post Reply

Return to “The Truth Is Beyond Belief!: Some thoughts to make you think about the power of your thoughts…by Jerry Durr”

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
by Dr Frank L Douglas
August 2021

If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your Buts

If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your Buts
by Mark L. Wdowiak
September 2021

The Preppers Medical Handbook

The Preppers Medical Handbook
by Dr. William W Forgey M.D.
October 2021

Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide

Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
by Dr. Gustavo Kinrys, MD
November 2021

Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir

Dream For Peace
by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah
December 2021