No Mind --> No Thoughts --> No Issues : Do you agree?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, The Truth Is Beyond Belief!: Some thoughts to make you think about the power of your thoughts…by Jerry Durr
Sushan
Book of the Month Discussion Leader

No Mind --> No Thoughts --> No Issues : Do you agree?

Post by Sushan »

This topic is about the July 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, The Truth Is Beyond Belief!: Some thoughts to make you think about the power of your thoughts…by Jerry Durr

"The One, when viewed from below, appears to be the many. The many, when viewed from above, is seen to be The One."

This “lofty” perspective has, to this day, inspired me to explore the power and role of the human mind with its magical ability to so seamlessly impose its own subjective, separating beliefs overtop an objective, unified reality - Existence Itself.
(Location 24 - Kindle version)

This author highlights the ability of our mind to form subjective and controversial ideas not only about vague facts and theories, but also regarding obvious and clearly proven points (e.g. Flat-earth believers). It is okay for anyone to have any personal opinion, but people often tend to argue and quarrel upon such facts.

Thinking about this, I got the idea that there will be no more arguments if we do not let our minds to act on their own. What do you say?
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Re: No Mind --> No Thoughts --> No Issues : Do you agree?

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Sushan wrote: July 9th, 2022, 6:43 am ...I got the idea that there will be no more arguments if we do not let our minds to act on their own. What do you say?
You seem to recommend that we stop thinking, then we won't think incorrectly. I think this is an ... unusual solution to the problem of human ignorance and/or stupidity.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
stevie

Post by stevie »

Sushan wrote: July 9th, 2022, 6:43 am Thinking about this, I got the idea that there will be no more arguments if we do not let our minds to act on their own. What do you say?
My brain cannot create a consistent meaning of "if we do not let our minds to act on their own". Maybe it's because this expression presupposes a personal self as master of the mind? But to me it appears that the sense of self cannot be separated from the sense of there being a "mind" or a "consciousness".

Maybe it is the case that the title you have chosen reflects more clearly (for my brain) what you are after
Sushan wrote: July 9th, 2022, 6:43 am No Mind --> No Thoughts --> No Issues : Do you agree?
I agree because if there were no mind there wouldn't be a sense of self either. However that doesn't appear to be a relevant idea or a relevant idea only for some kinds of buddhist extremists only.
Some type of psychotherapy takes a more moderate and workable approach in that it treats compulsive harmful thinking with teaching to let go of thoughts and/or to principally hold thoughts only loosely, reduce the tightness of the bonding between self and thought.
mankind ... must act and reason and believe; though they are not able, by their most diligent enquiry, to satisfy themselves concerning the foundation of these operations, or to remove the objections, which may be raised against them [Hume]
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Pattern-chaser wrote: July 9th, 2022, 7:37 am
Sushan wrote: July 9th, 2022, 6:43 am ...I got the idea that there will be no more arguments if we do not let our minds to act on their own. What do you say?
You seem to recommend that we stop thinking, then we won't think incorrectly. I think this is an ... unusual solution to the problem of human ignorance and/or stupidity.
Well, it is a solution in its own way. We make mistakes when we do things. If we do not do anything, then there will not be any mistakes. And I think that applies to thinking as well.
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Rocks indeed seem to have no issues, but they don't seem to have fun either.
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

stevie wrote: July 9th, 2022, 9:03 am
Sushan wrote: July 9th, 2022, 6:43 am Thinking about this, I got the idea that there will be no more arguments if we do not let our minds to act on their own. What do you say?
My brain cannot create a consistent meaning of "if we do not let our minds to act on their own". Maybe it's because this expression presupposes a personal self as master of the mind? But to me it appears that the sense of self cannot be separated from the sense of there being a "mind" or a "consciousness".

Maybe it is the case that the title you have chosen reflects more clearly (for my brain) what you are after
Sushan wrote: July 9th, 2022, 6:43 am No Mind --> No Thoughts --> No Issues : Do you agree?
I agree because if there were no mind there wouldn't be a sense of self either. However that doesn't appear to be a relevant idea or a relevant idea only for some kinds of buddhist extremists only.
Some type of psychotherapy takes a more moderate and workable approach in that it treats compulsive harmful thinking with teaching to let go of thoughts and/or to principally hold thoughts only loosely, reduce the tightness of the bonding between self and thought.
I do not think there are extremist teachings in Buddhism. There are teachings in buddhism which can be categorized in various levels, and only the ones who follow in a certain path and develop certain abilities (when we train our minds for some time through things like meditation, certain areas of brain are awakened). Yes, there are teachings that teach one to detach the mind from the bodily feelings.

But here I think it is more about controlling our minds. Usually we do not have a control over our minds. We can control the actions that occur as a result of the processes in our minds. And in psychotherapy this concept is used to treat illnesses like OCD.

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Sy Borg wrote: July 14th, 2022, 10:04 pm Rocks indeed seem to have no issues, but they don't seem to have fun either.
Rocks just lay on the ground. We can take them to our hands (the small ones) and throw them. Since they are lifeless and mindless, the throwing or the hitting on the ground does not affect them. So, if you are a rock, yes, you may not have any fun, but you will not have any issues as well.

– William James
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Sushan wrote: July 14th, 2022, 10:07 pm
Sy Borg wrote: July 14th, 2022, 10:04 pm Rocks indeed seem to have no issues, but they don't seem to have fun either.
Rocks just lay on the ground. We can take them to our hands (the small ones) and throw them. Since they are lifeless and mindless, the throwing or the hitting on the ground does not affect them. So, if you are a rock, yes, you may not have any fun, but you will not have any issues as well.
Swings and roundabouts :)

Anyway, we have plenty of time to live like rocks, but only a number of decades (hopefully) to be a human animal, with its various perks and troubles.
stevie

Post by stevie »

Sushan wrote: July 14th, 2022, 10:04 pm

I do not think there are extremist teachings in Buddhism. There are teachings in buddhism which can be categorized in various levels, and only the ones who follow in a certain path and develop certain abilities (when we train our minds for some time through things like meditation, certain areas of brain are awakened). Yes, there are teachings that teach one to detach the mind from the bodily feelings.
I've been saying "buddhist extremists" so I've been referring to persons.
Sushan wrote: July 14th, 2022, 10:04 pm Usually we do not have a control over our minds.
Replacing "usually" by "generally" I'd agree because using eliminative materialism as a working hypothesis the self having control about anything is merely a useful illusion. I've said "working hypothesis" so there is no claim as to truth or reality involved.
mankind ... must act and reason and believe; though they are not able, by their most diligent enquiry, to satisfy themselves concerning the foundation of these operations, or to remove the objections, which may be raised against them [Hume]
Rende

Post by Rende »

I totaly agree. Today i thought to myself, when I was working. IF i am thinking about what if i die, all i will be and was is like I think of those who i knew and died. They lived and porly end their lives like cancer itd... So if I finish like this its all i will be for others thoughts will be "poor he got ill and died". But then comes to my mind I can think of this only I so im alive right now when I think at this, when i will die it will be impossible to think at this. SO the coonclusion it has any point to think what the world thinks and have problems. BUT is unavoidable. Its irilevant to have thougst yet we can't live withouth them. Or on a positve when we live life is beautiful, when we die it doesnt matter.
The answer to a problem usually lies in the solution. The world is bigger than us. Life always finds a path.
Joshua10

Post by Joshua10 »

In answer to the original post statement.

We do have a mind and we do have thoughts and we do have issues though,that is normal.
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Sy Borg wrote: July 14th, 2022, 10:22 pm
Sushan wrote: July 14th, 2022, 10:07 pm
Swings and roundabouts :)

Anyway, we have plenty of time to live like rocks, but only a number of decades (hopefully) to be a human animal, with its various perks and troubles.
Ye, we do have time to live (or be) like rocks. After dying we inevitably be like rocks. But when we live (or try to do so) we receive various perks as well as troubles. Some people choose to live this time which we get to live as a human animal away from other humans, and it is simply to have less troubles. And I think that too actually helps them to be with less troubles since then they only have to deal with their own minds.

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

stevie wrote: July 14th, 2022, 11:50 pm
Sushan wrote: July 14th, 2022, 10:04 pm

I've been saying "buddhist extremists" so I've been referring to persons.
Sushan wrote: July 14th, 2022, 10:04 pm Usually we do not have a control over our minds.
Replacing "usually" by "generally" I'd agree because using eliminative materialism as a working hypothesis the self having control about anything is merely a useful illusion. I've said "working hypothesis" so there is no claim as to truth or reality involved.
There are extremists in any cult, religion, etc. And sometimes what they believe or say can be the truth.
Eliminative materialism (or eliminativism) is the radical claim that our ordinary, common-sense understanding of the mind is deeply wrong and that some or all of the mental states posited by common-sense do not actually exist and have no role to play in a mature science of the mind. - Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy -
I get eliminative materialism as a sort of understanding, rather than a claim on control.

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Rende wrote: July 22nd, 2022, 5:05 pm I totaly agree. Today i thought to myself, when I was working. IF i am thinking about what if i die, all i will be and was is like I think of those who i knew and died. They lived and porly end their lives like cancer itd... So if I finish like this its all i will be for others thoughts will be "poor he got ill and died". But then comes to my mind I can think of this only I so im alive right now when I think at this, when i will die it will be impossible to think at this. SO the coonclusion it has any point to think what the world thinks and have problems. BUT is unavoidable. Its irilevant to have thougst yet we can't live withouth them. Or on a positve when we live life is beautiful, when we die it doesnt matter.
Thinking too much brings trouble almost always. Think of a soldier who merely obeys his orders with no thinking at all. Either he succeeds or he dies, and nothing more. It is true that it is not a way to live, yet you can be trouble free.

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Joshua10 wrote: July 24th, 2022, 1:20 pm In answer to the original post statement.

We do have a mind and we do have thoughts and we do have issues though,that is normal.
Ues, that is the norm. But how many of us simply accept that norm? Have you never had the feeling "it is good to die than live like this" after thinking about your troublesome life? I have got the feeling, and when I think about such occasions later, I realize that the issue becomes (or appears) bigger with our thinking. If we do not think the issue will still be there, but in its original size.

– William James

Return to “The Truth Is Beyond Belief!: Some thoughts to make you think about the power of your thoughts…by Jerry Durr”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream