Courage vs Desperation

Use this forum to discuss the August 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, Living in Color: A Love Story, In Sickness and in Health by Mike Murphy
Sushan
Book of the Month Discussion Leader

Re: Courage vs Desperation

Post by Sushan »

stevie wrote: August 20th, 2022, 1:08 am
Sushan wrote: August 19th, 2022, 12:24 pm
stevie wrote: August 18th, 2022, 1:10 am
Sushan wrote: August 17th, 2022, 10:08 pm

What do you really mean by the term 'self-delusion'? Is it related to 'self-reverence' or the narcissistic character of the winner? Or in case of the looser, the opposite?
The theoretical thought fabrications about winning or losing and courage are merely driven by self-delusion. If you just do this or that depending on contextual appearances there is no need to theorize about winning or losing and courage beforehand.
Thinking (or theorizing) about winning, loosing, and courage beforehand is a different thing. But, in most occasions life offers us competitions, and at the end of the day some will be winners and some will be loosers. If this is inevitable, what is so bad about theorizing about the result? Atleast you will be mentally prepared.
Like many others you seem to indulge in the self delusion I indicated. If you are free to decide to indulge in self delusion then you are free to do so. If not then not.
I cannot fully understand the concept of self-delusion. Can you please elaborate that to me? I see it as something lying above self-reverance or narcissistic personality.
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Arbu123 wrote: August 21st, 2022, 4:38 pm I agree with the quote. Winners that don’t try are losers. An ugly person with no personality will get nowhere with me…if I could get anyone….😁

The idea of try is important to success. Winners are people that give it their best and succeed.
There are occasions in which people just win even without trying. And there are occasions in which people give their best, yet end up failing. If trying was the best thing (even better than winning), such a quote should have come from a winner, which we usually do not see happening.
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
stevie

Post by stevie »

Sushan wrote: August 24th, 2022, 1:07 pm
stevie wrote: August 18th, 2022, 1:10 am

The theoretical thought fabrications about winning or losing and courage are merely driven by self-delusion. If you just do this or that depending on contextual appearances there is no need to theorize about winning or losing and courage beforehand.
Thinking (or theorizing) about winning, loosing, and courage beforehand is a different thing. But, in most occasions life offers us competitions, and at the end of the day some will be winners and some will be loosers. If this is inevitable, what is so bad about theorizing about the result? Atleast you will be mentally prepared.
Like many others you seem to indulge in the self delusion I indicated. If you are free to decide to indulge in self delusion then you are free to do so. If not then not.
I cannot fully understand the concept of self-delusion. Can you please elaborate that to me? I see it as something lying above self-reverance or narcissistic personality.
As already stated earlier I am applying the working hypothesis of "eliminative materialism" which entails that all mental phenomena are illusions (either useful, or neutral, or harmful). Therefore taking an illusion as reality is what is called "delusion".
mankind ... must act and reason and believe; though they are not able, by their most diligent enquiry, to satisfy themselves concerning the foundation of these operations, or to remove the objections, which may be raised against them [Hume]
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

stevie wrote: August 24th, 2022, 1:19 pm

As already stated earlier I am applying the working hypothesis of "eliminative materialism" which entails that all mental phenomena are illusions (either useful, or neutral, or harmful). Therefore taking an illusion as reality is what is called "delusion".
If we go into a more technical discussion all these words including delusion and illusion have seperate meanings. If we look at our particular discussion, should I take this term self-delusion as something supporting eliminative materialism, or something against that?

– William James
stevie

Post by stevie »

Sushan wrote: August 24th, 2022, 10:31 pm

If we go into a more technical discussion all these words including delusion and illusion have seperate meanings. If we look at our particular discussion, should I take this term self-delusion as something supporting eliminative materialism, or something against that?
Since eliminative materilism eliminates itself - due to being mere concept which is a mental phenomenon - supporting/not supporting and contradicting/not contradicting do either not apply at all or do apply only as illusions.
mankind ... must act and reason and believe; though they are not able, by their most diligent enquiry, to satisfy themselves concerning the foundation of these operations, or to remove the objections, which may be raised against them [Hume]
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

stevie wrote: August 26th, 2022, 5:38 am

Since eliminative materilism eliminates itself - due to being mere concept which is a mental phenomenon - supporting/not supporting and contradicting/not contradicting do either not apply at all or do apply only as illusions.
In that case everything that we have discussed so far are mere illusions. Is there anything (excluding materialistic things) that can be taken as real?

– William James
stevie

Post by stevie »

Sushan wrote: August 26th, 2022, 1:03 pm

In that case everything that we have discussed so far are mere illusions. Is there anything (excluding materialistic things) that can be taken as real?
Since it is a working hypothesis there is no claim about truth or reality involved. And since this working hypothesis has to be applied to itself what the working hypothesis calls "illusion" may either be an illusion or "illusion" may be itself an illusion.
So you see that the working hypothesis is of no use if it is intended to come closer to an imagined truth or reality because actually it doesn't assert anything that would require validation and leaves open everything that might be verbally expressed. So the function of this working hypothesis is merely to serve as conceptual framing for further verbal expressions in everday life and in this vein it is a perfect manifestation of a skeptical attitude.
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

stevie wrote: August 27th, 2022, 12:41 am

Since it is a working hypothesis there is no claim about truth or reality involved. And since this working hypothesis has to be applied to itself what the working hypothesis calls "illusion" may either be an illusion or "illusion" may be itself an illusion.
So you see that the working hypothesis is of no use if it is intended to come closer to an imagined truth or reality because actually it doesn't assert anything that would require validation and leaves open everything that might be verbally expressed. So the function of this working hypothesis is merely to serve as conceptual framing for further verbal expressions in everday life and in this vein it is a perfect manifestation of a skeptical attitude.
So to have a balanced discussion and to remain with an open mind we may have to suspect everything, think that everything can be an illusion (even our existence), and think that we continously just express verbal phrases to merely continue a discussion on a working hypothesis. Does this make philosophy and the related discussions useless? 🤔

– William James
stevie

Post by stevie »

Sushan wrote: August 28th, 2022, 4:47 am

So to have a balanced discussion and to remain with an open mind we may have to suspect everything, think that everything can be an illusion (even our existence), and think that we continously just express verbal phrases to merely continue a discussion on a working hypothesis. Does this make philosophy and the related discussions useless? 🤔
No, we don't "have to" do anything. I for my part can take any (philosophical) perspective I like at the moment and discuss anything from that perspective. And my working hypothesis (which is a meta-perspective) doesn't have to affect your (philosophical) perspective at all.
E.g. I take every appearance but don't speculate about it being an illusion or reality, exactly because the working hypothesis is applied to itself. Thus I am applying the neo-pyrrhonist attitude:
Sextus wrote:Those who claim that the Skeptics deny appearances seem to me not to have
heard what we say. For, as we stated above, we do not reject the things that lead
us involuntarily to assent in accord with a passively received phantasia, and these
are appearances. And when we question whether the external object is such
as it appears, we grant that it does appear, and we are not raising a question about
the appearance but rather about what is said about the appearance; this is different
from raising a question about the appearance itself.
Since most philosophical discussions are about "what is said about the appearance" (e.g. it is said "illusory" or it is said "real") often there is no motivation on my side to engage in corresponding speculations but sometimes I nevertheless feel inclined to simply express how appearances appear to me without being motivated to discuss these because appearances just appear as they do and there is no need and no basis for discussing appearances.
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

stevie wrote: August 28th, 2022, 8:11 am

No, we don't "have to" do anything. I for my part can take any (philosophical) perspective I like at the moment and discuss anything from that perspective. And my working hypothesis (which is a meta-perspective) doesn't have to affect your (philosophical) perspective at all.
E.g. I take every appearance but don't speculate about it being an illusion or reality, exactly because the working hypothesis is applied to itself. Thus I am applying the neo-pyrrhonist attitude:
Sextus wrote:Those who claim that the Skeptics deny appearances seem to me not to have
heard what we say. For, as we stated above, we do not reject the things that lead
us involuntarily to assent in accord with a passively received phantasia, and these
as it appears, we grant that it does appear, and we are not raising a question about
the appearance but rather about what is said about the appearance; this is different
Since most philosophical discussions are about "what is said about the appearance" (e.g. it is said "illusory" or it is said "real") often there is no motivation on my side to engage in corresponding speculations but sometimes I nevertheless feel inclined to simply express how appearances appear to me without being motivated to discuss these because appearances just appear as they do and there is no need and no basis for discussing appearances.
If everything are appearances, and if there is no need for or no basis in discussing about appearances, what are we actually doing discussing various working hypotheses? Is philosophy just a waste of time?

– William James
stevie

Post by stevie »

Sushan wrote: August 28th, 2022, 12:33 pm

If everything are appearances, and if there is no need for or no basis in discussing about appearances, what are we actually doing discussing various working hypotheses? Is philosophy just a waste of time?
As already expressed elsewhere philosophy seems to be a phenomenon caused by the brains extraordinary computational capacity being led astray by itself. Philosophy isn't needed for everyday life and survival which functions because individuals just follow appearances without needing to speculate about them.
Nevertheless once entangled in the net of ultimately useless philosophy there is no way out other than applying philosophical thinking. But if one never gets entangled but just follows appearances there is no lack.
WindowtotheWorld

Post by WindowtotheWorld »

To be courageous means being willing to face loss. Without this "facewardness" in the direction of pain or uncertainty, there can be no courage.

You can have daring, but not courage. To dare is only the preliminary step. However, it may take some courage to initially dare -- but once you've made that initial dare that required courage and henceforth only close your eyes and ears in denial of what's in front of you, well, that's the beginning of cowardice.

To be desperate means in some sense to have a relation to loss. So both of them are alike in that respect. But desperation is not a virtue (anyone can despair) - though it may be complimented by virtue - namely, what you bring to the table in response to that desperation, what you do with it. That shows your mettle in a way, and courage also has to do with proving your mettle.

I would also say that for all these reasons having a meaning for living, even an absurd one, is an essential component. And that leads on to self-worth. In the end it's about valuing yourself and others that gives purpose to life. In a way all these things are connected I think. Value and meaning.
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

WindowtotheWorld wrote: September 21st, 2022, 2:49 pm To be courageous means being willing to face loss. Without this "facewardness" in the direction of pain or uncertainty, there can be no courage.

You can have daring, but not courage. To dare is only the preliminary step. However, it may take some courage to initially dare -- but once you've made that initial dare that required courage and henceforth only close your eyes and ears in denial of what's in front of you, well, that's the beginning of cowardice.

To be desperate means in some sense to have a relation to loss. So both of them are alike in that respect. But desperation is not a virtue (anyone can despair) - though it may be complimented by virtue - namely, what you bring to the table in response to that desperation, what you do with it. That shows your mettle in a way, and courage also has to do with proving your mettle.

I would also say that for all these reasons having a meaning for living, even an absurd one, is an essential component. And that leads on to self-worth. In the end it's about valuing yourself and others that gives purpose to life. In a way all these things are connected I think. Value and meaning.
Indeed, the concepts of value, meaning, courage, and desperation are all interconnected. It is important to recognize that while participating and trying in the face of potential loss can be seen as a desperate measure, it can also be viewed as an act of courage. Courage, in this context, involves facing adversity, embracing the possibility of failure, and persevering despite the odds.

The ability to find meaning and value in our actions, regardless of the outcome, is a significant aspect of human resilience and personal growth. By focusing on the process and the effort put forth, we can learn from our experiences and develop a deeper understanding of ourselves and the world around us.

In this light, participating and trying, even when the outcome is uncertain, becomes a reflection of our character and self-worth. It is not merely about making a loss palatable but about embracing the journey, learning from our experiences, and growing as individuals.

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

stevie wrote: August 28th, 2022, 11:36 pm
Sushan wrote: August 28th, 2022, 12:33 pm

As already expressed elsewhere philosophy seems to be a phenomenon caused by the brains extraordinary computational capacity being led astray by itself. Philosophy isn't needed for everyday life and survival which functions because individuals just follow appearances without needing to speculate about them.
Nevertheless once entangled in the net of ultimately useless philosophy there is no way out other than applying philosophical thinking. But if one never gets entangled but just follows appearances there is no lack.
I understand your perspective on the limited necessity of philosophy for everyday life and survival. However, I believe that philosophy serves a purpose beyond our basic needs. While it is true that appearances guide us in many aspects of our lives, engaging in philosophical discussions allows us to explore the deeper meanings, principles, and values that shape our understanding of the world and our place in it.

Philosophy can help us to develop critical thinking skills, enabling us to question and analyze the assumptions, beliefs, and values that guide our actions. In doing so, we can cultivate a broader, more nuanced perspective on life, which can lead to personal growth and a deeper understanding of ourselves and others.

While philosophy may not be essential for survival, it can enrich our lives by fostering a sense of curiosity, introspection, and empathy. It invites us to challenge our preconceived notions and develop a more thoughtful, informed, and compassionate worldview. In this sense, engaging in philosophical discussions is not a waste of time but an opportunity to grow and expand our understanding of the world and our place within it.

– William James

Return to “Living in Color: A Love Story, In Sickness and in Health by Mike Murphy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream