Do humans evolve at a fast pace?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, The Not So Great American Novel by James E Doucette
User avatar
Sushan
Book of the Month Discussion Leader
Posts: 1143
Joined: February 19th, 2021, 8:12 pm
Contact:

Do humans evolve at a fast pace?

Post by Sushan »

This topic is about the September 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, The Not So Great American Novel by James E Doucette



In the song, “What a Wonderful World,” there’s a line that talks about watching babies grow: “They’ll learn much more than I’ll ever know.”
(Page 9 - Kindle version)


We witness leaps of knowledge and skills from generation to generation (you may not fully agree with me because the terms 'knowledge' and 'skills' can be defined in many ways). Many would say it is inevitable due to the technological advancement and the acquiring of knowledge by the humankind day by day.

But is it possible for this to be a result of biological evolution of humans, which has gained quite a fast pace?
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
User avatar
LuckyR
Moderator
Posts: 6686
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 1:16 am

Re: Do humans evolve at a fast pace?

Post by LuckyR »

Sushan wrote: September 5th, 2022, 10:03 am This topic is about the September 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, The Not So Great American Novel by James E Doucette



In the song, “What a Wonderful World,” there’s a line that talks about watching babies grow: “They’ll learn much more than I’ll ever know.”
(Page 9 - Kindle version)


We witness leaps of knowledge and skills from generation to generation (you may not fully agree with me because the terms 'knowledge' and 'skills' can be defined in many ways). Many would say it is inevitable due to the technological advancement and the acquiring of knowledge by the humankind day by day.

But is it possible for this to be a result of biological evolution of humans, which has gained quite a fast pace?
I am unaware that the biological ability to acquire knowledge has changed over time. However, what has changed dramatically is: 1) the amount of total information that can be known has increased substantially and 2) technology in the storage and retrieval of information has lowered the utility of memorizing and/or deriving information, thus modern education de emphasizes these.

Many, if not most old people put a lot of value on knowing information and having the skillset to calculate. Young folks not so much, "I can just look it up".
"As usual... it depends."
Belindi
Moderator
Posts: 4931
Joined: September 11th, 2016, 2:11 pm

Re: Do humans evolve at a fast pace?

Post by Belindi »

There is little doubt humans evolve culturally . I don't know of an instance of natural selection among modern humans, but the nearest I can imagine is a child conceived by a couple who are congenitally incapable of learning.
Joshua10
Posts: 271
Joined: March 20th, 2021, 4:07 am

Re: Do humans evolve at a fast pace?

Post by Joshua10 »

I disagree with evolution on the bases that there should be very detailed archeological evidence of all the minute stages.Nothing.Ziltch…..Brainwashing comes to mind, at the very least alarm bells.
Belindi
Moderator
Posts: 4931
Joined: September 11th, 2016, 2:11 pm

Re: Do humans evolve at a fast pace?

Post by Belindi »

Joshua10 wrote: September 6th, 2022, 5:17 am I disagree with evolution on the bases that there should be very detailed archeological evidence of all the minute stages.Nothing.Ziltch…..Brainwashing comes to mind, at the very least alarm bells.
Evolution simply means change. The term you need is natural selection.

The evidence you need is less archeological than geological.

Geological evidence contains the fossil record which is available to trained minds that know what they are looking at.
Joshua10
Posts: 271
Joined: March 20th, 2021, 4:07 am

Re: Do humans evolve at a fast pace?

Post by Joshua10 »

Belindi wrote: September 6th, 2022, 10:53 am
Joshua10 wrote: September 6th, 2022, 5:17 am I disagree with evolution on the bases that there should be very detailed archeological evidence of all the minute stages.Nothing.Ziltch…..Brainwashing comes to mind, at the very least alarm bells.
Evolution simply means change. The term you need is natural selection.

The evidence you need is less archeological than geological.

Geological evidence contains the fossil record which is available to trained minds that know what they are looking at.
I would suggest that the secular minds you speak of see what they want to see just like the secular minds saw a single Big Bang for the start of everything and we all know what fools they look now.This is the reality of the matter.
Alias
Posts: 3093
Joined: November 26th, 2011, 8:10 pm
Favorite Philosopher: Terry Pratchett

Re: Do humans evolve at a fast pace?

Post by Alias »

Humans stopped evolving about 6,000 years ago.
They've had experimentation in controlled breeding since then, but none of it was in response to environmental factors; it was all about social engineering - except for a few isolated tribes in inaccessible mountains, who have tiny gene-pools and are doomed to extinction in their present state.
Those who can induce you to believe absurdities can induce you to commit atrocities. - Voltaire
Joshua10
Posts: 271
Joined: March 20th, 2021, 4:07 am

Re: Do humans evolve at a fast pace?

Post by Joshua10 »

Let’s be totally clear.

There is no definitive proof whatsoever that humans evolve at all, only secularist make those claims.

Secularist have found a few monkey bones over the years and have desperately tried to confirm their evolutionary theories and failed every time and are still failing.

That’s it.
Joshua10
Posts: 271
Joined: March 20th, 2021, 4:07 am

Re: Do humans evolve at a fast pace?

Post by Joshua10 »

Even Darwin would have given up by now.
Belindi
Moderator
Posts: 4931
Joined: September 11th, 2016, 2:11 pm

Re: Do humans evolve at a fast pace?

Post by Belindi »

Joshua10 wrote: September 6th, 2022, 11:12 am
Belindi wrote: September 6th, 2022, 10:53 am
Joshua10 wrote: September 6th, 2022, 5:17 am I disagree with evolution on the bases that there should be very detailed archeological evidence of all the minute stages.Nothing.Ziltch…..Brainwashing comes to mind, at the very least alarm bells.
Evolution simply means change. The term you need is natural selection.

The evidence you need is less archeological than geological.

Geological evidence contains the fossil record which is available to trained minds that know what they are looking at.
I would suggest that the secular minds you speak of see what they want to see just like the secular minds saw a single Big Bang for the start of everything and we all know what fools they look now.This is the reality of the matter.
We all "see what we want to see" including yourself. However trained minds are aware of confirmation bias and have devised methods to allow for confirmation bias. No genuine scientist is a fool. You have an eccentric idea which you are unable to explain.

You may possibly be too vain to make the slight effort to understand natural selection; however if you had the humility appropriate to a genuine seeker I'd like to explain it to you.
Joshua10
Posts: 271
Joined: March 20th, 2021, 4:07 am

Re: Do humans evolve at a fast pace?

Post by Joshua10 »

Belindi wrote: September 7th, 2022, 4:38 am
Joshua10 wrote: September 6th, 2022, 11:12 am
Belindi wrote: September 6th, 2022, 10:53 am
Joshua10 wrote: September 6th, 2022, 5:17 am I disagree with evolution on the bases that there should be very detailed archeological evidence of all the minute stages.Nothing.Ziltch…..Brainwashing comes to mind, at the very least alarm bells.
Evolution simply means change. The term you need is natural selection.

The evidence you need is less archeological than geological.

Geological evidence contains the fossil record which is available to trained minds that know what they are looking at.
I would suggest that the secular minds you speak of see what they want to see just like the secular minds saw a single Big Bang for the start of everything and we all know what fools they look now.This is the reality of the matter.
We all "see what we want to see" including yourself. However trained minds are aware of confirmation bias and have devised methods to allow for confirmation bias. No genuine scientist is a fool. You have an eccentric idea which you are unable to explain.

You may possibly be too vain to make the slight effort to understand natural selection; however if you had the humility appropriate to a genuine seeker I'd like to explain it to you.
I have no eccentric ideas whatsoever.Natures scientific ideas I do have.I have said that I have no time for secular science for very good reasons.It makes no connection whatsoever across the sciences especially at the psychological level and I have given the reasons why.Secular scientists don’t have a clue about consciousness,if they did their science would be different but for now we have to put up with it.

I agree that no genuine scientist is a fool but the problem is that there ain’t many about.Natures science is about possibilities and choices.Sound philosophy reveals this.

It not about making ridiculous claims about a single Big Bang that cannot be substantiated other than it being substantiated later that it was foolish notion in the first place.

All animals mate and change within their kinds.This is how it is.
User avatar
LuckyR
Moderator
Posts: 6686
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 1:16 am

Re: Do humans evolve at a fast pace?

Post by LuckyR »

Joshua10 wrote: September 7th, 2022, 5:15 am
Belindi wrote: September 7th, 2022, 4:38 am
Joshua10 wrote: September 6th, 2022, 11:12 am
Belindi wrote: September 6th, 2022, 10:53 am

Evolution simply means change. The term you need is natural selection.

The evidence you need is less archeological than geological.

Geological evidence contains the fossil record which is available to trained minds that know what they are looking at.
I would suggest that the secular minds you speak of see what they want to see just like the secular minds saw a single Big Bang for the start of everything and we all know what fools they look now.This is the reality of the matter.
We all "see what we want to see" including yourself. However trained minds are aware of confirmation bias and have devised methods to allow for confirmation bias. No genuine scientist is a fool. You have an eccentric idea which you are unable to explain.

You may possibly be too vain to make the slight effort to understand natural selection; however if you had the humility appropriate to a genuine seeker I'd like to explain it to you.
I have no eccentric ideas whatsoever.Natures scientific ideas I do have.I have said that I have no time for secular science for very good reasons.It makes no connection whatsoever across the sciences especially at the psychological level and I have given the reasons why.Secular scientists don’t have a clue about consciousness,if they did their science would be different but for now we have to put up with it.

I agree that no genuine scientist is a fool but the problem is that there ain’t many about.Natures science is about possibilities and choices.Sound philosophy reveals this.

It not about making ridiculous claims about a single Big Bang that cannot be substantiated other than it being substantiated later that it was foolish notion in the first place.

All animals mate and change within their kinds.This is how it is.
Sounds so interesting! Where can I go to learn about it from leaders in Nature's science? Conferences? Research labs? University programs?
"As usual... it depends."
Joshua10
Posts: 271
Joined: March 20th, 2021, 4:07 am

Re: Do humans evolve at a fast pace?

Post by Joshua10 »

LuckyR wrote: September 7th, 2022, 10:48 am
Joshua10 wrote: September 7th, 2022, 5:15 am
Belindi wrote: September 7th, 2022, 4:38 am
Joshua10 wrote: September 6th, 2022, 11:12 am

I would suggest that the secular minds you speak of see what they want to see just like the secular minds saw a single Big Bang for the start of everything and we all know what fools they look now.This is the reality of the matter.
We all "see what we want to see" including yourself. However trained minds are aware of confirmation bias and have devised methods to allow for confirmation bias. No genuine scientist is a fool. You have an eccentric idea which you are unable to explain.

You may possibly be too vain to make the slight effort to understand natural selection; however if you had the humility appropriate to a genuine seeker I'd like to explain it to you.
I have no eccentric ideas whatsoever.Natures scientific ideas I do have.I have said that I have no time for secular science for very good reasons.It makes no connection whatsoever across the sciences especially at the psychological level and I have given the reasons why.Secular scientists don’t have a clue about consciousness,if they did their science would be different but for now we have to put up with it.

I agree that no genuine scientist is a fool but the problem is that there ain’t many about.Natures science is about possibilities and choices.Sound philosophy reveals this.

It not about making ridiculous claims about a single Big Bang that cannot be substantiated other than it being substantiated later that it was foolish notion in the first place.

All animals mate and change within their kinds.This is how it is.
Sounds so interesting! Where can I go to learn about it from leaders in Nature's science? Conferences? Research labs? University programs?
I would suggest that secular science has got itself into a complete mess which was inevitable.It only has itself to blame.Natures science provides the answers.Natures science explains the psychological workings because it explains and incorporates consciousness.As I have already stated,secular science does not incorporate consciousness into its theories because it cannot due it residing in total ignorance whereby consciousness is concerned, secular science being an unaware rather than aware science.
User avatar
Pattern-chaser
Posts: 4947
Joined: September 22nd, 2019, 5:17 am
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus
Location: England

Re: Do humans evolve at a fast pace?

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Please be clear: what does "nature's science" have to do with God or religion, in your opinion? Your text seems to me to stop just short of saying "God did it", but I could be mistaken?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Joshua10
Posts: 271
Joined: March 20th, 2021, 4:07 am

Re: Do humans evolve at a fast pace?

Post by Joshua10 »

Anyway,getting back on track.The evolutionary gaps are as wide now as they have ever been.If evolution was correct then there should be billion upon billions of minute details in the bone records of all the detailed transitions of the slug or whatever is supposed to have slithered out of the sea as it transitioned into all the species including us.There is no convincing evidence whatsoever of such minute and detailed transitions.Evolutionary ideas are therefore merely hopeful ideas, nothing more.
Post Reply

Return to “The Not So Great American Novel by James E Doucette”

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
by Dr Frank L Douglas
August 2021

If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your Buts

If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your Buts
by Mark L. Wdowiak
September 2021

The Preppers Medical Handbook

The Preppers Medical Handbook
by Dr. William W Forgey M.D.
October 2021

Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide

Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
by Dr. Gustavo Kinrys, MD
November 2021

Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir

Dream For Peace
by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah
December 2021