Eckhart Aurelius Hughes AMA (Ask Me Anything)

Discuss the November 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes.

To post in this forum, you must buy and read the book. After buying the book, please upload a screenshot of your receipt or proof or purchase via OnlineBookClub. Once the moderators approve your purchase at OnlineBookClub, you will then also automatically be given access to post in this forum.
Forum rules
This forum is for discussing the book In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All. Anyone can view the forum and read the post, but only people who purchased the book can post in the forum.

If your purchase has not already been verified (i.e. if you don't already have access to post in this forum), then please upload a screenshot of your receipt or proof or purchase via OnlineBookClub. Once the moderators approve your purchase at OnlineBookClub, you will then also automatically be given access to post in this forum.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Re: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes AMA (Ask Me Anything)

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

hsimone wrote: November 4th, 2022, 2:34 pm Did you end up using any other inspiration to come up with your own quotable phrases? (i.e. “Do your best, and accept the rest.”)
Not consciously or specifically, but generally I'm just compiling and paraphrasing ideas I've read or heard elsewhere, even if I don't remember from where.

So, for instance, while I may have possibly been the first person to put those seven English words in that specific order, the concept to which they refer is something that has been expressed separately and independently by many others throughout human history. So in a way my inspirations are too many to count and identify.
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Surabhi Rani wrote: November 5th, 2022, 7:52 pm Who is your role model?
My top two living role models are probably Rob White and Jorge P. Newbery.

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Lunastella wrote: November 5th, 2022, 10:08 pm Now I want to know if you're a vegetarian LOL. But my questions are more personal:
1. How do you get so much done? (dancing, writing, working, parenting...)
2. What's your favorite OBC forum?
3. What's your favorite movie?
1. Aside from in the book itself, especially the chapter "Do Less, Better", I think I may have best explained this in this Facebook Post (which I also cross-posted to Twitter.

2. If I had to choose just one, maybe Creative Original Works: Poetry.

3. I think it depends on my mood, but I'd say probably either Fight Club or Legends of the Fall. Legends of the Fall is a big part of the reason I named my son Tristen. :)

mrlefty0706
Premium Member

Post by mrlefty0706 »

Please explain to members why it is worth a subscription fee to use Twitter Blue. I feel Musk overpaid for Twitter and he is now expecting users to reimburse him for the overpayment by requiring a subscription fee for Twitter Blue.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

mrlefty0706 wrote: November 7th, 2022, 9:33 pm Please explain to members why it is worth a subscription fee to use Twitter Blue. I feel Musk overpaid for Twitter and he is now expecting users to reimburse him for the overpayment by requiring a subscription fee for Twitter Blue.
I am not sure what you mean by "members" here. Members of Twitter?

In any case, Twitter Blue existed and cost money before Musk ever bought Twitter.

I could be mistaken, but my best guess is you are mixing up "Twitter Blue" with "Twitter" itself.

Sushan
Book of the Month Discussion Leader

Post by Sushan »

Hi Scott,

On Page 57 you have spoken about being the observer of one's own thoughts. I have heard about this concept previously, but so far I have not understood the concept or a way to do that.

Have you actually done that? Or do you know the way to do that?

Thank you
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Sushan wrote: November 12th, 2022, 3:05 am Hi Scott,

On Page 57 you have spoken about being the observer of one's own thoughts. I have heard about this concept previously, but so far I have not understood the concept or a way to do that.

Thank you
Can you quote the specific sentence(s) from page 57 that you are asking about?

Sushan
Book of the Month Discussion Leader

Post by Sushan »

Scott wrote: November 17th, 2022, 4:30 pm
Sushan wrote: November 12th, 2022, 3:05 am Hi Scott,

Thank you
Can you quote the specific sentence(s) from page 57 that you are asking about?
I am extremely sorry for the inconvenience. The specific quote that I mentioned was on page 56 of the Kindle version.
Rather, what makes Descarte's argument so incredibly profound and meaningful is the reference to conscious awareness, namely conscious awareness of thought, the conscious hearing of the inner monologue generated by most human brains. You are not that which thinks the thoughts, but rather that which consciously hears or observes the thoughts.
Here you have discussed about being the observer of one's own thoughts. If what you are implying is what I am thinking, then it is a marvelous ability. So I would like to know whether you have actually done that or whether you know a way to achieve that level of consciousness.

Thank you
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
hsimone
Premium Member

Post by hsimone »

Scott wrote: November 7th, 2022, 4:14 pm
hsimone wrote: November 4th, 2022, 2:34 pm Did you end up using any other inspiration to come up with your own quotable phrases? (i.e. “Do your best, and accept the rest.”)
Not consciously or specifically, but generally I'm just compiling and paraphrasing ideas I've read or heard elsewhere, even if I don't remember from where.

So, for instance, while I may have possibly been the first person to put those seven English words in that specific order, the concept to which they refer is something that has been expressed separately and independently by many others throughout human history. So in a way my inspirations are too many to count and identify.
I like that! To be continually be inspired, even not consciously aware of it happening, is a very beautiful thought.
mrlefty0706
Premium Member

Post by mrlefty0706 »

Hi Scott,
For your mentoring program I need to review three books in 100 days. I believe I have already reviewed one book and I need to know where the list of books I can choose from for the other two reviews.

Larry Moser
Mrlefty0706
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

mrlefty0706 wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 11:34 pm Hi Scott,
For your mentoring program I need to review three books in 100 days. I believe I have already reviewed one book and I need to know where the list of books I can choose from for the other two reviews.

Larry Moser
Mrlefty0706
If you are also a book author, you will need to pick the books to review from the Authors Reviewing Authors Exchange ("ARA Exchange") at OnlineBookClub.

Otherwise, you will pick the book using the Select tab of the Review Team Page at OnlineBookClub.

Sandra Fairclough
Premium Member

Post by Sandra Fairclough »

What inspired your narrative? were you inspired by biblical principles?
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Sandra Fairclough wrote: December 29th, 2022, 1:43 pm What inspired your narrative? were you inspired by biblical principles?
Thank you for the question! :)

I had and have countless different inspirations from an eclectic array of sources.

I'm not religious, and I don't follow any one specific religion, but since you specifically ask about the bible, presumably meaning the Christian Bible, there are definitely some principals in the Christian Bible that resonate with me and inspire me, such as the following:

"The kingdom of heaven is within you."
(Luke 17:21)

"For what has a man profited, if he gains the whole world for the price of his own soul?"
(Matthew 16:26)

"You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also."

(Matthew 5:38)

“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that?"
(Matthew 5:43)

"Don't worry about tomorrow. It will take care of itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."
(Matthew 6:34)

"Do not judge others, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn others, or it will all come back against you. Forgive others, and you will be forgiven."
(Luke 6:37)

"Do not judge, or you will be judged. For with the same judgment you pronounce, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."
(Matthew 7:1)

"Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul."
(Matthew 10:28)

"You are the light for the whole world. A city built on top of a hill cannot be hidden, and no one lights a lamp and puts it under a clay pot. Instead, it is placed on a lampstand, where it can give light to everyone in the house. Make your light shine, so others will see the good you do and will praise your Father in heaven."
(Matthew 5:14)

"Not everyone saying to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter into the kingdom of the heavens, but only the one actually doing the will of My Father in the heavens."
(Matthew 7:21)

NanciWrites
Premium Member

Post by NanciWrites »

Hello Scott!

I thoroughly enjoyed In It Together. I've left a short review on OBC and am working on a longer one. I look forward to sharing it with you.

In the meantime, I'd like to know - How much inspiration and input did you receive from the Street Team?

Fabulous work. Thank you for the opportunity to read it!
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

NanciWrites wrote: January 9th, 2023, 9:59 pm In the meantime, I'd like to know - How much inspiration and input did you receive from the Street Team?
Hi, Nanci,

Everyone on the Street Team contributed $100 to help the fund the book before it was even written (via a Kickstarter campaign). So the support and assistant was incredible.

Inspiration can be a tricky word, especially when it comes to any kind of art. Coincidentally, the book talks about the word inspiration a bit. Technically, one could argue that inspiration it must come from one's own spirit, or in other words one's own free-spirited self. More broadly, I think it tends to be a word that refers to something mysterious, something that is perhaps mysterious by definition.

The amount of involvement in the project by the members of the Street Team varied. A couple of them volunteered their time to give the book a proofread while it was still a very rough draft, correcting some typos and providing feedback and suggestions about possible changes.

I can say that many they not only inspired me from day 1 but also had a very tangible impact on the book in terms more direct support, funding, and assistance. :)

Return to “Discuss "In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All" by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream