The most effective way to get to enjoy true happiness and inner peace in the future is to build the habit of...

Discuss the November 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes.

To post in this forum, you must buy and read the book. After buying the book, please upload a screenshot of your receipt or proof or purchase via OnlineBookClub. Once the moderators approve your purchase at OnlineBookClub, you will then also automatically be given access to post in this forum.
Forum rules
This forum is for discussing the book In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All. Anyone can view the forum and read the post, but only people who purchased the book can post in the forum.

If your purchase has not already been verified (i.e. if you don't already have access to post in this forum), then please upload a screenshot of your receipt or proof or purchase via OnlineBookClub. Once the moderators approve your purchase at OnlineBookClub, you will then also automatically be given access to post in this forum.
Cheryl Erickson
Premium Member

Re: The most effective way to get to enjoy true happiness and inner peace in the future is to build the habit of...

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

I agree that focusing on happiness and peace in the present will lead to a happy and peaceful future. I spent too much time thinking about regrets of the past, or life during the good old days. I also worried about the future. When I intentionally focused on the present, I felt happier and more peaceful. It really makes good sense and I am doing my best to stay in the present. It has truly made a big difference in my life.
ReviewsByChristine
Premium Member

Re: The most effective way to get to enjoy true happiness and inner peace in the future is to build the habit of...

Post by ReviewsByChristine »

Focusing on happiness and peace in the present sounds great, and most likely is the key to happiness and a peaceful future. It just isn't a skill I have managed to master, this being present. Yoga and mediation just seem to give the hamster in my head even more time to run on his little wheel ...
Jack King 2
Premium Member

Post by Jack King 2 »

Scott wrote: November 8th, 2022, 5:04 pm The most effective way to get to enjoy true happiness and inner peace in the future is to build the habit of having inner peace and happiness in the present, right here right now.

The vice versa is also true: sacrificing inner peace now for the sake of the imagined future tends to lead to an unhappy future too.

You are always in the present, meaning the here and now. It is only ever here and it is only ever now. Thus, if you build a habit of valuing the future over the now, and thereby choose to lack inner peace in the now, you always lack the happiness of inner peace because you always be in the now.
Very profound and I would agree as well. There is no time like the present after all, the more we practice this in the moment the quicker it becoming second nature.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Premium Member

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Scott wrote:You are always in the present, meaning the here and now. It is only ever here and it is only ever now. Thus, if you build a habit of valuing the future over the now, and thereby choose to lack inner peace in the now, you always lack the happiness of inner peace because you always be in the now.
That means living in the present. Enjoy the present. Be mindfully present. Time will not come back, so live life fully in the here and now.
Chris Alex Powell
Premium Member

Post by Chris Alex Powell »

I believe focusing on the future while refusing to bask in the happiness available now takes away any slight chance we may have of having happiness in the future. We should plan for the future, yes. But to be happy, we should be grateful for the things we have in the present. Overthinking also takes away peace. Therefore we should sometimes take our time to focus on those things in the present that bring us peace.
Jack King 2
Premium Member

Post by Jack King 2 »

Chris Alex Powell wrote: March 5th, 2023, 1:12 pm I believe focusing on the future while refusing to bask in the happiness available now takes away any slight chance we may have of having happiness in the future. We should plan for the future, yes. But to be happy, we should be grateful for the things we have in the present. Overthinking also takes away peace. Therefore we should sometimes take our time to focus on those things in the present that bring us peace.
Balance is definitely key, some attention does need to be paid to planning for the future but without letting it consume you and dominate being in the moment.
Sugar Rush
Premium Member

Post by Sugar Rush »

Most times we are lost in what I would refer to as an endless pursuit of the future that we fail miserably to pay half of the attention to the now, the present. I am learning to practice this. If you can't be happy in the now you may not be happy in the future because the concept of the future leads us to the present too.
José Cortez
Premium Member

Post by José Cortez »

Inner peace is important. I generally do not blame people who spend time worrying about the future. However, sacrificing our peace in the present would ensure that we don't experience happiness at all. This happens to me when I spend so much time wondering how to deal with future problems that I forget to deal with what I have, and everything is left unfinished.
Tosin-Le
Premium Member

Post by Tosin-Le »

For me, the most important way to enjoy true happiness and peace in the future is to have the habit of loving oneself. You have to validate yourself first without seeking external validation to keep you happy.
Salah bourouba
Premium Member

Post by Salah bourouba »

I do agree that being happy right now. And not worrying about a future that you don't even know ur going to have is best. However the fact that having inner peace right now does not ensure having inner peace in the future it's all about acceptance. Forgiveness and having faith in allah for me.
Covenant Olusegun
Premium Member

Post by Covenant Olusegun »

I agree with you on this: when we put our present happiness first, we get true happiness. We do not need to procrastinate happiness or say we'll be happy later; we need to be happy now.
ahassan_96
Premium Member

Post by ahassan_96 »

I think it is better to build inner peace in the now as it builds a cohesive habit of building something greater in the present. This helps us create a reality worth envisioning, thus creating an environment suitable enough to exist in.
Zainab Wasif
Premium Member

Post by Zainab Wasif »

The most effective way to enjoy true happiness and inner peace is to be satisfied with your destiny and accept it. We need to accept that there are struggles in every one’s life. I have been given my set of struggles which, when conquered, would help me grow into a better person. Another thing that is effective to attain inner peace is being thankful to the creator for the countless bounties, I have been given.
Nisha DSouza
Premium Member

Post by Nisha DSouza »

I believe the most effective way to enjoy true happiness and inner peace is by enjoying the little things in life. No amount of money can buy you the joy that comes from seeing a child giggle at the silliest of things. The inner peace that comes from knowing you are surrounded by people who love you is irreplaceable. The sight of the setting sun on the horizon. The beautiful call of the birds in the morning. There are so many things that one can enjoy by just living in the moment.
Nganyi Humphrey
Premium Member

Post by Nganyi Humphrey »

The most effective way to get to enjoy true happiness and inner peace in the future is to build the habit of... being satisfied with one's current position and acknowledge the close people you have in one's life.

Return to “Discuss "In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All" by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream