The January 2023 Philosophy Book of the Month is Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger.

Why equate spiritual freedom with self-discipline, rather than with total abandonment (aka total ecstasy)?

Discuss the November 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes.

To post in this forum, you must buy and read the book. After buying the book, please email a copy of your receipt to Scott@OnlinePhilosophyClub.com to be given access to this forum.
Forum rules
This forum is for discussing the book In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All. Anyone can view the forum and read the post, but only people who purchased the book can post in the forum.

If your purchased has not already been verified, please email a copy of your receipt to Scott@OnlinePhilosophyClub.com to be given access to this forum.
Post Reply
Richardkcaputophd009
Premium Member
Posts: 6
Joined: November 3rd, 2022, 10:20 am

Why equate spiritual freedom with self-discipline, rather than with total abandonment (aka total ecstasy)?

Post by Richardkcaputophd009 »

Why equate spiritual freedom with self-discipline, rather than with total abandonment (aka total ecstasy)?
User avatar
Scott
Site Admin
Posts: 4878
Joined: January 20th, 2007, 6:24 pm
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Contact:

Re: Why equate spiritual freedom with self-discipline, rather than with total abandonment (aka total ecstasy)?

Post by Scott »

I don't just roughly equate self-discipline and spiritual freedom. I use the two phrases as synonyms. The way I use the words, they refer to the exact same thing.

I am not sure what you mean by "total abandonment" or "total ecstasy". Can you explain what you mean by those phrases a bit more?

Depending on what you mean, it's possible that indeed spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) is also total abandonment.

Indeed, the eleven suggestions in the book essentially all explicitly encourage one to "let go of" (i.e. abandon) something, namely letting go of (i.e. abandoning) some kind of illusion or other spiritual trap/cage/enslavement.
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Dattatraya
Premium Member
Posts: 20
Joined: November 3rd, 2022, 10:16 am

Re: Why equate spiritual freedom with self-discipline, rather than with total abandonment (aka total ecstasy)?

Post by Dattatraya »

In my view -

self-discipline : creating assurance of mental stability!



spiritual freedom : Freedom from getting entangled in false
perceptions!



total abandonment : Freedom from lingering questions and
emotions!



total ecstasy : A state of being beyond reason and self-
control!


' No duality, only oneness!'

:)
User avatar
Sushan
Book of the Month Discussion Leader
Posts: 1364
Joined: February 19th, 2021, 8:12 pm
Contact:

Re: Why equate spiritual freedom with self-discipline, rather than with total abandonment (aka total ecstasy)?

Post by Sushan »

Dattatraya wrote: November 18th, 2022, 1:13 am In my view -

self-discipline : creating assurance of mental stability!



spiritual freedom : Freedom from getting entangled in false
perceptions!



total abandonment : Freedom from lingering questions and
emotions!



total ecstasy : A state of being beyond reason and self-
control!


' No duality, only oneness!'

:)
When I just look at your definitions,

1) I see spiritual freedom and total abandonment as same things. If you are free from lingering questions and emotions, you will necessarily be free of false perceptions.

2) Seemingly total ecstasy is not an healthy thing because loosing (or being beyond) reasoning and self-control is not a good thing to one's well being, IMO.
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
Dattatraya
Premium Member
Posts: 20
Joined: November 3rd, 2022, 10:16 am

Re: Why equate spiritual freedom with self-discipline, rather than with total abandonment (aka total ecstasy)?

Post by Dattatraya »

Sushan wrote: November 27th, 2022, 12:03 am
Dattatraya wrote: November 18th, 2022, 1:13 am In my view -

self-discipline : creating assurance of mental stability!



spiritual freedom : Freedom from getting entangled in false
perceptions!



total abandonment : Freedom from lingering questions and
emotions!



total ecstasy : A state of being beyond reason and self-
control!


' No duality, only oneness!'

:)
When I just look at your definitions,

1) I see spiritual freedom and total abandonment as same things. If you are free from lingering questions and emotions, you will necessarily be free of false perceptions.

2) Seemingly total ecstasy is not an healthy thing because loosing (or being beyond) reasoning and self-control is not a good thing to one's well being, IMO.
:)

1) Your reading and analysis is correct.

2) '........ not a good thing to one's well being, IMO. '

I will like to know more about ' one's well being '!

What I meant in my definition of total ecstasy , is not
' loosing reasoning and self-control ' but it is ' being in a state, where, there will be no need of such things! ' ( though one has the ability to analyse reasons and to control own activities! )

Actually I tried to correlate terms -- self-discipline, spiritual freedom, total abandonment and total ecstasy -- in relation to the original question!
I understand that all these terms are similar ( as said by Scott ) and represent different paths to ' well-being of a person ( i.e. living the life in real happy way! )

:)
User avatar
Sushan
Book of the Month Discussion Leader
Posts: 1364
Joined: February 19th, 2021, 8:12 pm
Contact:

Re: Why equate spiritual freedom with self-discipline, rather than with total abandonment (aka total ecstasy)?

Post by Sushan »

Dattatraya wrote: November 27th, 2022, 6:52 am
Sushan wrote: November 27th, 2022, 12:03 am
Dattatraya wrote: November 18th, 2022, 1:13 am In my view -

self-discipline : creating assurance of mental stability!



spiritual freedom : Freedom from getting entangled in false
perceptions!



total abandonment : Freedom from lingering questions and
emotions!



total ecstasy : A state of being beyond reason and self-
control!


' No duality, only oneness!'

:)
When I just look at your definitions,

1) I see spiritual freedom and total abandonment as same things. If you are free from lingering questions and emotions, you will necessarily be free of false perceptions.

2) Seemingly total ecstasy is not an healthy thing because loosing (or being beyond) reasoning and self-control is not a good thing to one's well being, IMO.
:)

1) Your reading and analysis is correct.

2) '........ not a good thing to one's well being, IMO. '

I will like to know more about ' one's well being '!

What I meant in my definition of total ecstasy , is not
' loosing reasoning and self-control ' but it is ' being in a state, where, there will be no need of such things! ' ( though one has the ability to analyse reasons and to control own activities! )

Actually I tried to correlate terms -- self-discipline, spiritual freedom, total abandonment and total ecstasy -- in relation to the original question!
I understand that all these terms are similar ( as said by Scott ) and represent different paths to ' well-being of a person ( i.e. living the life in real happy way! )

:)
Thank you.

But I am yet to understand the actual meaning of 'real happiness'. Maybe I am far away from that achievement and that is why it is hard for me to grasp. But I am suspicious of achieving this state in this world as it is difficult to get void of questions, perception, responsibilities, etc.

I see your point regarding total ecstasy. Loosing one's ability to rationalize will definitely put him/her in danger. It can harm one's physical body, possessions, ego, reputation, etc. But something beyond reasoning and self-control maybe not harmful, but a good thing. But I am yet to grasp the full meaning of that.
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
Dattatraya
Premium Member
Posts: 20
Joined: November 3rd, 2022, 10:16 am

Re: Why equate spiritual freedom with self-discipline, rather than with total abandonment (aka total ecstasy)?

Post by Dattatraya »

Sushan wrote: November 28th, 2022, 12:00 am
Dattatraya wrote: November 27th, 2022, 6:52 am
Sushan wrote: November 27th, 2022, 12:03 am
Dattatraya wrote: November 18th, 2022, 1:13 am In my view -

self-discipline : creating assurance of mental stability!



spiritual freedom : Freedom from getting entangled in false
perceptions!



total abandonment : Freedom from lingering questions and
emotions!



total ecstasy : A state of being beyond reason and self-
control!


' No duality, only oneness!'

:)
When I just look at your definitions,

1) I see spiritual freedom and total abandonment as same things. If you are free from lingering questions and emotions, you will necessarily be free of false perceptions.

2) Seemingly total ecstasy is not an healthy thing because loosing (or being beyond) reasoning and self-control is not a good thing to one's well being, IMO.
:)

1) Your reading and analysis is correct.

2) '........ not a good thing to one's well being, IMO. '

I will like to know more about ' one's well being '!

What I meant in my definition of total ecstasy , is not
' loosing reasoning and self-control ' but it is ' being in a state, where, there will be no need of such things! ' ( though one has the ability to analyse reasons and to control own activities! )

Actually I tried to correlate terms -- self-discipline, spiritual freedom, total abandonment and total ecstasy -- in relation to the original question!
I understand that all these terms are similar ( as said by Scott ) and represent different paths to ' well-being of a person ( i.e. living the life in real happy way! )

:)
Thank you.

But I am yet to understand the actual meaning of 'real happiness'. Maybe I am far away from that achievement and that is why it is hard for me to grasp. But I am suspicious of achieving this state in this world as it is difficult to get void of questions, perception, responsibilities, etc.

I see your point regarding total ecstasy. Loosing one's ability to rationalize will definitely put him/her in danger. It can harm one's physical body, possessions, ego, reputation, etc. But something beyond reasoning and self-control maybe not harmful, but a good thing. But I am yet to grasp the full meaning of that.
:)

Let me tell you first that I am very happy to have your genuine response!
I am also happy to see this topic proceeding with real interest.
( I will frankly beg a pardan if I caused it to be diverted to other direction than that of original question!)

Now I am giving my understanding and beliefs regarding ' happiness ' and ' total ecstasy '.

Happiness:
I am submitting the definition of happiness from a dictionary, which I understood satisfactorily and I agree with.

a: a state of well-being and contentment : JOY
b: a pleasurable or satisfying experience
//I wish you every happiness in life.
//I had the happiness of seeing you
— W. S. Gilbert
I will define the same as per my understanding and ability: A state in which I experience full satisfaction!
Satisfaction of doing something valuable, achieving success in any task and most importantly being really helpful to others! This is a short description.

You said,
' But I am suspicious of achieving this state in this world as it is difficult to get void of questions, perception, responsibilities, etc. '

There is no need to think about the same because what you require to have with you is only ' sincerity and honesty ' everywhere and everytime. You will be passing out everything!(100 percent)

Total ecstasy:
* a state of overwhelming emotion.
* a state of being beyond reason and self-control.
* a state of profound abstraction or absorption.

As per my understanding I can define Total ecstasy as:
A state in which a person experiences the saturation of
a feeling of fulfillment, completion and achievement of something! This something includes any work or love in
a relationship. The person becomes immune to the external factor comprising of anything/ any matter of the life!
There will be no worries, no overthinking and no restlessness! You will be having a special predicting power, which can assure you, that everything will be fine and right though not now, but after a short period!
User avatar
Sushan
Book of the Month Discussion Leader
Posts: 1364
Joined: February 19th, 2021, 8:12 pm
Contact:

Re: Why equate spiritual freedom with self-discipline, rather than with total abandonment (aka total ecstasy)?

Post by Sushan »

Dattatraya wrote: November 28th, 2022, 7:09 am
Sushan wrote: November 28th, 2022, 12:00 am
Dattatraya wrote: November 27th, 2022, 6:52 am
Sushan wrote: November 27th, 2022, 12:03 am

When I just look at your definitions,

1) I see spiritual freedom and total abandonment as same things. If you are free from lingering questions and emotions, you will necessarily be free of false perceptions.

2) Seemingly total ecstasy is not an healthy thing because loosing (or being beyond) reasoning and self-control is not a good thing to one's well being, IMO.
:)

1) Your reading and analysis is correct.

2) '........ not a good thing to one's well being, IMO. '

I will like to know more about ' one's well being '!

What I meant in my definition of total ecstasy , is not
' loosing reasoning and self-control ' but it is ' being in a state, where, there will be no need of such things! ' ( though one has the ability to analyse reasons and to control own activities! )

Actually I tried to correlate terms -- self-discipline, spiritual freedom, total abandonment and total ecstasy -- in relation to the original question!
I understand that all these terms are similar ( as said by Scott ) and represent different paths to ' well-being of a person ( i.e. living the life in real happy way! )

:)
Thank you.

But I am yet to understand the actual meaning of 'real happiness'. Maybe I am far away from that achievement and that is why it is hard for me to grasp. But I am suspicious of achieving this state in this world as it is difficult to get void of questions, perception, responsibilities, etc.

I see your point regarding total ecstasy. Loosing one's ability to rationalize will definitely put him/her in danger. It can harm one's physical body, possessions, ego, reputation, etc. But something beyond reasoning and self-control maybe not harmful, but a good thing. But I am yet to grasp the full meaning of that.
:)

Let me tell you first that I am very happy to have your genuine response!
I am also happy to see this topic proceeding with real interest.
( I will frankly beg a pardan if I caused it to be diverted to other direction than that of original question!)

Now I am giving my understanding and beliefs regarding ' happiness ' and ' total ecstasy '.

Happiness:
I am submitting the definition of happiness from a dictionary, which I understood satisfactorily and I agree with.

a: a state of well-being and contentment : JOY
b: a pleasurable or satisfying experience
//I wish you every happiness in life.
//I had the happiness of seeing you
— W. S. Gilbert
I will define the same as per my understanding and ability: A state in which I experience full satisfaction!
Satisfaction of doing something valuable, achieving success in any task and most importantly being really helpful to others! This is a short description.

You said,
' But I am suspicious of achieving this state in this world as it is difficult to get void of questions, perception, responsibilities, etc. '

There is no need to think about the same because what you require to have with you is only ' sincerity and honesty ' everywhere and everytime. You will be passing out everything!(100 percent)

Total ecstasy:
* a state of overwhelming emotion.
* a state of being beyond reason and self-control.
* a state of profound abstraction or absorption.

As per my understanding I can define Total ecstasy as:
A state in which a person experiences the saturation of
a feeling of fulfillment, completion and achievement of something! This something includes any work or love in
a relationship. The person becomes immune to the external factor comprising of anything/ any matter of the life!
There will be no worries, no overthinking and no restlessness! You will be having a special predicting power, which can assure you, that everything will be fine and right though not now, but after a short period!
I see. So I think it is okay to understand ecstasy as the ultimatum of happiness. Although I am not certain how to achieve the latter (for the former we all have access at different levels, and some are content with what they get while some are not), I think it is a great thing if anyone can achieve that status.

Being honest and sincere to one's own self and the close ones will give happiness to that particular one. But the world is not a safe place to such people, and there is a high chance for someone to end up in sadness rather than happiness when trying to express total honesty and sincerity to the whole world, and expect that in return.
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
Dattatraya
Premium Member
Posts: 20
Joined: November 3rd, 2022, 10:16 am

Re: Why equate spiritual freedom with self-discipline, rather than with total abandonment (aka total ecstasy)?

Post by Dattatraya »

Sushan wrote: November 28th, 2022, 1:45 pm
Dattatraya wrote: November 28th, 2022, 7:09 am
Sushan wrote: November 28th, 2022, 12:00 am
Dattatraya wrote: November 27th, 2022, 6:52 am

:)

1) Your reading and analysis is correct.

2) '........ not a good thing to one's well being, IMO. '

I will like to know more about ' one's well being '!

What I meant in my definition of total ecstasy , is not
' loosing reasoning and self-control ' but it is ' being in a state, where, there will be no need of such things! ' ( though one has the ability to analyse reasons and to control own activities! )

Actually I tried to correlate terms -- self-discipline, spiritual freedom, total abandonment and total ecstasy -- in relation to the original question!
I understand that all these terms are similar ( as said by Scott ) and represent different paths to ' well-being of a person ( i.e. living the life in real happy way! )

:)
Thank you.

But I am yet to understand the actual meaning of 'real happiness'. Maybe I am far away from that achievement and that is why it is hard for me to grasp. But I am suspicious of achieving this state in this world as it is difficult to get void of questions, perception, responsibilities, etc.

I see your point regarding total ecstasy. Loosing one's ability to rationalize will definitely put him/her in danger. It can harm one's physical body, possessions, ego, reputation, etc. But something beyond reasoning and self-control maybe not harmful, but a good thing. But I am yet to grasp the full meaning of that.
:)

Let me tell you first that I am very happy to have your genuine response!
I am also happy to see this topic proceeding with real interest.
( I will frankly beg a pardan if I caused it to be diverted to other direction than that of original question!)

Now I am giving my understanding and beliefs regarding ' happiness ' and ' total ecstasy '.

Happiness:
I am submitting the definition of happiness from a dictionary, which I understood satisfactorily and I agree with.

a: a state of well-being and contentment : JOY
b: a pleasurable or satisfying experience
//I wish you every happiness in life.
//I had the happiness of seeing you
— W. S. Gilbert
I will define the same as per my understanding and ability: A state in which I experience full satisfaction!
Satisfaction of doing something valuable, achieving success in any task and most importantly being really helpful to others! This is a short description.

You said,
' But I am suspicious of achieving this state in this world as it is difficult to get void of questions, perception, responsibilities, etc. '

There is no need to think about the same because what you require to have with you is only ' sincerity and honesty ' everywhere and everytime. You will be passing out everything!(100 percent)

Total ecstasy:
* a state of overwhelming emotion.
* a state of being beyond reason and self-control.
* a state of profound abstraction or absorption.

As per my understanding I can define Total ecstasy as:
A state in which a person experiences the saturation of
a feeling of fulfillment, completion and achievement of something! This something includes any work or love in
a relationship. The person becomes immune to the external factor comprising of anything/ any matter of the life!
There will be no worries, no overthinking and no restlessness! You will be having a special predicting power, which can assure you, that everything will be fine and right though not now, but after a short period!
I see. So I think it is okay to understand ecstasy as the ultimatum of happiness. Although I am not certain how to achieve the latter (for the former we all have access at different levels, and some are content with what they get while some are not), I think it is a great thing if anyone can achieve that status.

Being honest and sincere to one's own self and the close ones will give happiness to that particular one. But the world is not a safe place to such people, and there is a high chance for someone to end up in sadness rather than happiness when trying to express total honesty and sincerity to the whole world, and expect that in return.
:)

' But the world is not a safe place to such people, and there is a high chance for someone to end up in sadness rather than happiness when trying to express total honesty and sincerity to the whole world, and expect that in return.'

I do not think or suspect to meet people in the world who will make my living ' unsafe '!
I am confident that the people will be influenced positively and they will offer me very good cooperation ( and love in the case of similar person) when I am sincere and honest when dealing with them!

I can give you famous examples, in support of my say and confidence!

:)
User avatar
Sushan
Book of the Month Discussion Leader
Posts: 1364
Joined: February 19th, 2021, 8:12 pm
Contact:

Re: Why equate spiritual freedom with self-discipline, rather than with total abandonment (aka total ecstasy)?

Post by Sushan »

Dattatraya wrote: November 30th, 2022, 10:11 am
Sushan wrote: November 28th, 2022, 1:45 pm
Dattatraya wrote: November 28th, 2022, 7:09 am
Sushan wrote: November 28th, 2022, 12:00 am

Thank you.

But I am yet to understand the actual meaning of 'real happiness'. Maybe I am far away from that achievement and that is why it is hard for me to grasp. But I am suspicious of achieving this state in this world as it is difficult to get void of questions, perception, responsibilities, etc.

I see your point regarding total ecstasy. Loosing one's ability to rationalize will definitely put him/her in danger. It can harm one's physical body, possessions, ego, reputation, etc. But something beyond reasoning and self-control maybe not harmful, but a good thing. But I am yet to grasp the full meaning of that.
:)

Let me tell you first that I am very happy to have your genuine response!
I am also happy to see this topic proceeding with real interest.
( I will frankly beg a pardan if I caused it to be diverted to other direction than that of original question!)

Now I am giving my understanding and beliefs regarding ' happiness ' and ' total ecstasy '.

Happiness:
I am submitting the definition of happiness from a dictionary, which I understood satisfactorily and I agree with.

a: a state of well-being and contentment : JOY
b: a pleasurable or satisfying experience
//I wish you every happiness in life.
//I had the happiness of seeing you
— W. S. Gilbert
I will define the same as per my understanding and ability: A state in which I experience full satisfaction!
Satisfaction of doing something valuable, achieving success in any task and most importantly being really helpful to others! This is a short description.

You said,
' But I am suspicious of achieving this state in this world as it is difficult to get void of questions, perception, responsibilities, etc. '

There is no need to think about the same because what you require to have with you is only ' sincerity and honesty ' everywhere and everytime. You will be passing out everything!(100 percent)

Total ecstasy:
* a state of overwhelming emotion.
* a state of being beyond reason and self-control.
* a state of profound abstraction or absorption.

As per my understanding I can define Total ecstasy as:
A state in which a person experiences the saturation of
a feeling of fulfillment, completion and achievement of something! This something includes any work or love in
a relationship. The person becomes immune to the external factor comprising of anything/ any matter of the life!
There will be no worries, no overthinking and no restlessness! You will be having a special predicting power, which can assure you, that everything will be fine and right though not now, but after a short period!
I see. So I think it is okay to understand ecstasy as the ultimatum of happiness. Although I am not certain how to achieve the latter (for the former we all have access at different levels, and some are content with what they get while some are not), I think it is a great thing if anyone can achieve that status.

Being honest and sincere to one's own self and the close ones will give happiness to that particular one. But the world is not a safe place to such people, and there is a high chance for someone to end up in sadness rather than happiness when trying to express total honesty and sincerity to the whole world, and expect that in return.
:)

' But the world is not a safe place to such people, and there is a high chance for someone to end up in sadness rather than happiness when trying to express total honesty and sincerity to the whole world, and expect that in return.'

I do not think or suspect to meet people in the world who will make my living ' unsafe '!
I am confident that the people will be influenced positively and they will offer me very good cooperation ( and love in the case of similar person) when I am sincere and honest when dealing with them!

I can give you famous examples, in support of my say and confidence!

:)
And I am sure we can find many examples that will support my side of the argument. Human beings are the most dangerous animals, not because of their higher IQ level, but because of their ability to hide their emotions and true selves. A fox cannot pretend to be a lion, and an angry lion cannot pretend that he is happy. But humans can do both these things, and there are many people who see no shame in merely utilizing the honesty of others for their own benefits, at the cost of the comfort (or any other costs) of the honest one.
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
Dattatraya
Premium Member
Posts: 20
Joined: November 3rd, 2022, 10:16 am

Re: Why equate spiritual freedom with self-discipline, rather than with total abandonment (aka total ecstasy)?

Post by Dattatraya »

Sushan wrote: December 28th, 2022, 3:01 am
Dattatraya wrote: November 30th, 2022, 10:11 am
Sushan wrote: November 28th, 2022, 1:45 pm
Dattatraya wrote: November 28th, 2022, 7:09 am

:)

Let me tell you first that I am very happy to have your genuine response!
I am also happy to see this topic proceeding with real interest.
( I will frankly beg a pardan if I caused it to be diverted to other direction than that of original question!)

Now I am giving my understanding and beliefs regarding ' happiness ' and ' total ecstasy '.

Happiness:
I am submitting the definition of happiness from a dictionary, which I understood satisfactorily and I agree with.

a: a state of well-being and contentment : JOY
b: a pleasurable or satisfying experience
//I wish you every happiness in life.
//I had the happiness of seeing you
— W. S. Gilbert
I will define the same as per my understanding and ability: A state in which I experience full satisfaction!
Satisfaction of doing something valuable, achieving success in any task and most importantly being really helpful to others! This is a short description.

You said,
' But I am suspicious of achieving this state in this world as it is difficult to get void of questions, perception, responsibilities, etc. '

There is no need to think about the same because what you require to have with you is only ' sincerity and honesty ' everywhere and everytime. You will be passing out everything!(100 percent)

Total ecstasy:
* a state of overwhelming emotion.
* a state of being beyond reason and self-control.
* a state of profound abstraction or absorption.

As per my understanding I can define Total ecstasy as:
A state in which a person experiences the saturation of
a feeling of fulfillment, completion and achievement of something! This something includes any work or love in
a relationship. The person becomes immune to the external factor comprising of anything/ any matter of the life!
There will be no worries, no overthinking and no restlessness! You will be having a special predicting power, which can assure you, that everything will be fine and right though not now, but after a short period!
I see. So I think it is okay to understand ecstasy as the ultimatum of happiness. Although I am not certain how to achieve the latter (for the former we all have access at different levels, and some are content with what they get while some are not), I think it is a great thing if anyone can achieve that status.

Being honest and sincere to one's own self and the close ones will give happiness to that particular one. But the world is not a safe place to such people, and there is a high chance for someone to end up in sadness rather than happiness when trying to express total honesty and sincerity to the whole world, and expect that in return.
:)

' But the world is not a safe place to such people, and there is a high chance for someone to end up in sadness rather than happiness when trying to express total honesty and sincerity to the whole world, and expect that in return.'

I do not think or suspect to meet people in the world who will make my living ' unsafe '!
I am confident that the people will be influenced positively and they will offer me very good cooperation ( and love in the case of similar person) when I am sincere and honest when dealing with them!

I can give you famous examples, in support of my say and confidence!

:)
And I am sure we can find many examples that will support my side of the argument. Human beings are the most dangerous animals, not because of their higher IQ level, but because of their ability to hide their emotions and true selves. A fox cannot pretend to be a lion, and an angry lion cannot pretend that he is happy. But humans can do both these things, and there are many people who see no shame in merely utilizing the honesty of others for their own benefits, at the cost of the comfort (or any other costs) of the honest one.

:)
I am delighted to receive your response. ( though after many days )

I am remembering ' half filled glass ' when I see our conversation!

" Human beings are the most dangerous animals, not because of their higher IQ level, but because of their ability to hide their emotions and true selves."

I don't know the percentage of such people. But I said I am sure that I will not meet these 'dangerous animals ' only because I follow sincerity and honesty!

You can say that I am seeing the filled part of the glass.

:)
User avatar
Sushan
Book of the Month Discussion Leader
Posts: 1364
Joined: February 19th, 2021, 8:12 pm
Contact:

Re: Why equate spiritual freedom with self-discipline, rather than with total abandonment (aka total ecstasy)?

Post by Sushan »

Dattatraya wrote: December 28th, 2022, 10:23 am
Sushan wrote: December 28th, 2022, 3:01 am
Dattatraya wrote: November 30th, 2022, 10:11 am
Sushan wrote: November 28th, 2022, 1:45 pm

I see. So I think it is okay to understand ecstasy as the ultimatum of happiness. Although I am not certain how to achieve the latter (for the former we all have access at different levels, and some are content with what they get while some are not), I think it is a great thing if anyone can achieve that status.

Being honest and sincere to one's own self and the close ones will give happiness to that particular one. But the world is not a safe place to such people, and there is a high chance for someone to end up in sadness rather than happiness when trying to express total honesty and sincerity to the whole world, and expect that in return.
:)

' But the world is not a safe place to such people, and there is a high chance for someone to end up in sadness rather than happiness when trying to express total honesty and sincerity to the whole world, and expect that in return.'

I do not think or suspect to meet people in the world who will make my living ' unsafe '!
I am confident that the people will be influenced positively and they will offer me very good cooperation ( and love in the case of similar person) when I am sincere and honest when dealing with them!

I can give you famous examples, in support of my say and confidence!

:)
And I am sure we can find many examples that will support my side of the argument. Human beings are the most dangerous animals, not because of their higher IQ level, but because of their ability to hide their emotions and true selves. A fox cannot pretend to be a lion, and an angry lion cannot pretend that he is happy. But humans can do both these things, and there are many people who see no shame in merely utilizing the honesty of others for their own benefits, at the cost of the comfort (or any other costs) of the honest one.

:)
I am delighted to receive your response. ( though after many days )

I am remembering ' half filled glass ' when I see our conversation!

" Human beings are the most dangerous animals, not because of their higher IQ level, but because of their ability to hide their emotions and true selves."

I don't know the percentage of such people. But I said I am sure that I will not meet these 'dangerous animals ' only because I follow sincerity and honesty!

You can say that I am seeing the filled part of the glass.

:)
I am sorry for the delayed response. :roll:

I see you as an optimistic as well as a extremely lucky fellow, as you have never expected to see a cunning fellow who covers his lies with apparent truth and have never met such a fellow. And I respect your view on the world (seeing the filled half).

I also love to be like you. And I have tried in the past as well. But in more than one occasion such fellows showed me their real selves, and that made me to a person who looks at everything with caution and suspicion. So I always look at the empty half first and then look at the filled half if I see no harm.
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
Post Reply

Return to “Discuss "In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All" by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes”

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
by Dr Frank L Douglas
August 2021

If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your Buts

If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your Buts
by Mark L. Wdowiak
September 2021

The Preppers Medical Handbook

The Preppers Medical Handbook
by Dr. William W Forgey M.D.
October 2021

Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide

Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
by Dr. Gustavo Kinrys, MD
November 2021

Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir

Dream For Peace
by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah
December 2021