Does Humpty-Dumpty say that we see our true selves only when we are broke?

Discuss the November 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes.

To post in this forum, you must buy and read the book. After buying the book, please upload a screenshot of your receipt or proof or purchase via OnlineBookClub. Once the moderators approve your purchase at OnlineBookClub, you will then also automatically be given access to post in this forum.
Forum rules
This forum is for discussing the book In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All. Anyone can view the forum and read the post, but only people who purchased the book can post in the forum.

If your purchase has not already been verified (i.e. if you don't already have access to post in this forum), then please upload a screenshot of your receipt or proof or purchase via OnlineBookClub. Once the moderators approve your purchase at OnlineBookClub, you will then also automatically be given access to post in this forum.
Abby Young 2
Premium Member

Re: Does Humpty-Dumpty say that we see our true selves only when we are broke?

Post by Abby Young 2 »

I belive that we can only find our true selves once we have been broken. You don't learn anything if everything is handed to you. You learn a lot about yourself if you win or succeed, but you learn even more when you loose or fail. Only then do you learn what makes you you, what your true self is. What is in your heart and soul no matter where or who you are.
Olga_Markova
Premium Member

Post by Olga_Markova »

book+lover-people wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 3:02 am When you are broken and at your absolute lowest point in life, that is the moment you realize what you're truly made of. Whether you choose to wallow in self-pity and focus on all the things that went wrong or you shrug and say that didn't work out, pick yourself up, put yourself back together, and try again. It is at this critical moment that you realize your potential.

You can have a million people offering to help you (literally all the king's horses and all the king's men), and yet none of it will help or mean anything if you are unwilling to help yourself.
I fully agree with this view, on both counts. On the first count, I agree that one realises one's own potential at the lowest point in life. And on the second count, I agree that unless the person helps her(him)self, no-one else, including all the king's horses and all the king's men, can help that person. Conversely, when things are all in order, it is very easy to get lost in the illusions of self-perception that mask one's real self.
Sushan Ekanayake
Premium Member

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Surabhi Rani wrote: January 27th, 2023, 5:09 am I like the point in the poem that 'All the king's horses, And all the king's men, Could not put Humpty Dumpty together again.' It portrays the state of utter helplessness that one is faced with when he or she feels broken on the spiritual path of his or her life. All the glory and magnificence of the world could not replenish Humpty Dumpty's state of existence when he fell off the wall. It is at this point of sheer hopelessness in our cycle of evolution that the secrets of the spiritual world are revealed to us.
I can agree with you. When we are utterly helpless spiritually, there is no one that can help us except our own selves.
Christal Merkey
Premium Member

Post by Christal Merkey »

I just finished reading this section. When Humpty Dumpty fell off that wall and no one, not even the king's horses or the king's men, could put him back together, that is basically saying that he hit rock bottom and he needs to find out who he really is. I mean, the stripping away of all the material things is a way to expose someone's weakness, and it can make or break a person. Like they say, what doesn't kill you will make you stronger.
Sushan
Book of the Month Discussion Leader

Post by Sushan »

Christal Merkey wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 4:57 pm I just finished reading this section. When Humpty Dumpty fell off that wall and no one, not even the king's horses or the king's men, could put him back together, that is basically saying that he hit rock bottom and he needs to find out who he really is. I mean, the stripping away of all the material things is a way to expose someone's weakness, and it can make or break a person. Like they say, what doesn't kill you will make you stronger.
While the idea of hitting rock bottom and being stripped of material possessions can lead to a period of self-reflection and discovery, it is not necessarily true that we can only see our true selves when we are broke. Our true selves are not solely defined by our external circumstances or possessions, but rather by our internal thoughts, beliefs, and values. It is possible to know oneself deeply even when one has material wealth and success.

Furthermore, the notion that "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" can be a dangerous assumption. Trauma and difficult experiences can have long-lasting negative effects on an individual's mental health and well-being. While it is important to learn from challenging situations and to strive for personal growth, it is not necessary to suffer in order to become a stronger person.
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
Zainab Wasif
Premium Member

Post by Zainab Wasif »

I think it varies from person to person. It all depends on how self aware a person is and is connected to his inner self. Some of us have to be jolted from our deep slumber by physical and emotional adversity to get connected to our real self. There are some others who don’t need to be made aware of their connection through tough times. They are grounded and truly self-aware of their inner selves.
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Zainab Wasif wrote: March 11th, 2023, 4:15 am I think it varies from person to person. It all depends on how self aware a person is and is connected to his inner self. Some of us have to be jolted from our deep slumber by physical and emotional adversity to get connected to our real self. There are some others who don’t need to be made aware of their connection through tough times. They are grounded and truly self-aware of their inner selves.
Your observation highlights the diversity of human experiences and the varying paths individuals take to achieve self-awareness and connection with their inner selves. As you aptly pointed out, some individuals may require adversity to awaken their consciousness, while others might naturally possess a more grounded sense of self.

This brings to mind the ancient Greek aphorism, "know thyself," which underscores the importance of self-awareness as a foundation for personal growth and fulfillment. It also reminds us of the teachings of Eastern philosophies such as Buddhism and Hinduism, where inner exploration and self-discovery are considered essential for achieving enlightenment and liberation from the cycle of suffering.

The intricate tapestry of human experiences, however, suggests that there might not be a one-size-fits-all approach to self-awareness. Each person's journey towards self-discovery is influenced by their unique combination of nature and nurture, genetics, environment, and personal experiences. As such, the paths towards self-awareness are as diverse as humanity itself.

In this light, it is crucial for individuals to not only recognize and respect their own unique path, but also to remain empathetic towards others who may be on a different journey. This mutual understanding and openness can foster an environment where individuals can grow, learn from each other, and ultimately, find their true selves.
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
ahassan_96
Premium Member

Post by ahassan_96 »

Perception can be a key determinant in helping us navigate our true selves. How we perceive others and how others perceive us is all a web that can become entangled at times. Being broke is merely a state of consciousness. There are a lot of factors that play a key role in mirroring our actions. For instance, by being honest with ourselves, we can see things from a clear standpoint. Our true self is defined by the state we choose to exist in, thus influencing our state of consciousness. We often develop certain behaviors that might be considered damaging. But if we fail to change the patterns, it results in the state of being broken, repeating the cycle all over again.
Chinemezu Okafor
Premium Member

Post by Chinemezu Okafor »

I have never thought of the humpty-dumpty nursery rhyme this way. I don't think one needs to be broken before he can actualize his true self, but I believe that one needs to strip himself to see his true self. I really enjoyed this part of the book.
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

ahassan_96 wrote: March 17th, 2023, 9:20 am Perception can be a key determinant in helping us navigate our true selves. How we perceive others and how others perceive us is all a web that can become entangled at times. Being broke is merely a state of consciousness. There are a lot of factors that play a key role in mirroring our actions. For instance, by being honest with ourselves, we can see things from a clear standpoint. Our true self is defined by the state we choose to exist in, thus influencing our state of consciousness. We often develop certain behaviors that might be considered damaging. But if we fail to change the patterns, it results in the state of being broken, repeating the cycle all over again.
You raise a valid point about perception and how it shapes our understanding of ourselves and our circumstances. The notion that being "broken" can lead to self-discovery and personal growth is an interesting perspective. It suggests that during challenging times, we may be more inclined to reflect upon our lives and evaluate our priorities, beliefs, and values.

Moreover, the idea that our true selves are revealed when we strip away our ego, material possessions, and societal expectations emphasizes the importance of introspection in understanding our essence. It's possible that we can only truly grasp our authentic selves when we confront adversity or face a crisis that compels us to reevaluate our lives.

The Humpty Dumpty analogy, in this context, serves as a reminder that sometimes, it's through our most challenging moments that we gain the clarity and self-awareness necessary for personal growth and transformation. It underscores the idea that our resilience and ability to adapt in the face of adversity can shape our character and ultimately define who we are.

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Chinemezu Okafor wrote: March 17th, 2023, 3:35 pm I have never thought of the humpty-dumpty nursery rhyme this way. I don't think one needs to be broken before he can actualize his true self, but I believe that one needs to strip himself to see his true self. I really enjoyed this part of the book.
It's fascinating to consider how a simple nursery rhyme like Humpty Dumpty can be interpreted in such a profound and philosophical way. While the original intention behind the rhyme might not have been to convey deep philosophical ideas, the beauty of literature and art is that it can be interpreted in various ways by different people, resonating with their unique experiences and perspectives.

You're right in pointing out that one doesn't necessarily have to be broken to actualize their true self. However, challenging moments in life can provide valuable opportunities for introspection and growth. It's often during these times when we're pushed to reassess our priorities and strip away the external factors that may have been clouding our true selves.

The fact that you enjoyed this part of the book highlights how thought-provoking ideas can be found in unexpected places, and how we can draw inspiration from a wide range of sources to better understand ourselves and the world around us.

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Amlilui wrote: January 27th, 2023, 10:48 am This reminds me of the beautiful picture book After the Fall (How Humpty Dumpty Got Back Up Again) by Dan Santat. The nursery rhyme definitely leaves interpretation to the listener. I'd never heard anyone wax philosophical about it until I saw Dan's book, which echoes Scott's sentiment from In It Together. Humanity's desire for self-actualization cannot be accomplished in the trappings of ego; our hard, fragile shell. It is only in the transformation that comes from being shattered and realizing there's no going back that one might find salvation.
It's intriguing how the nursery rhyme of Humpty Dumpty can evoke such deep philosophical thoughts and discussions, as seen in both the original comment and Dan Santat's book After the Fall. The idea of self-actualization and transformation through adversity is a powerful one that resonates with many people.

Scott's sentiment in In It Together aligns well with this interpretation of the Humpty Dumpty story. While being shattered or broken might not be a prerequisite for self-actualization, it can serve as a catalyst for growth and change. Stripping away the trappings of ego and external factors allows us to see our true selves more clearly.

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Knitkat wrote: January 28th, 2023, 6:46 pm I don't think we have to be completely broken in order to see our true selves. I think there are ways to peel back the layers without falling apart, though I do think that when we have broken to pick up the pieces we need to find ourselves or there's no way to heal that is meaningful.
You make a valid point that complete brokenness is not always necessary for self-discovery. It is true that we can peel back the layers of our identity and ego through introspection, meditation, or even conversations with trusted friends and mentors. In doing so, we can gradually gain a deeper understanding of our true selves.

However, it's also important to acknowledge that for some individuals, facing adversity or experiencing a significant setback might serve as a catalyst for change and self-discovery. In such cases, the process of healing and rebuilding oneself can lead to a more profound understanding of one's true identity.

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Julie Gebrosky wrote: January 29th, 2023, 9:24 pm
Tara D Morgan wrote: January 29th, 2023, 10:26 am I don't understand this question and how it fits with Humpty Dumpty. The rhyme dates back to England in 1797 and is believed to have started as a riddle - What once broken can't be put back together again? - An egg!
I agree with you completely! I think you’re right. Otherwise it wouldn’t make sense because nowhere in the nursery rhyme is Humpy Dumpty identified as an egg. I remember reading somewhere a while ago about people speculating where we even got the notion that he was an egg. After all, doesn’t it seem odd that we would have an egg sitting on a wall that all the king’s horses and men would want to piece back together in the first place? Of course, he’s always depicted as an egg in drawings for some reason.
You're right; it's fascinating how the image of Humpty Dumpty as an egg has become ingrained in our collective consciousness despite not being explicitly mentioned in the original nursery rhyme. This could be attributed to the power of visual representation and how illustrations accompanying the rhyme have influenced our perception of the character over time.

As for the philosophical discussion surrounding Humpty Dumpty, it's interesting to see how people can draw deeper meaning from a seemingly simple nursery rhyme. While the original intent of the rhyme may not have been to spark introspection and self-discovery, the fact that it can be interpreted in various ways demonstrates the versatility and adaptability of literature and storytelling. In this case, using Humpty Dumpty as a metaphor for personal growth and self-awareness allows for a thought-provoking conversation that transcends the original context of the rhyme.

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Amy Luman wrote: January 29th, 2023, 10:22 pm If you are talking about the fairy tale then I don’t really know what you mean. Humpty Dumpty is a fictional character with no real insight. However, if this is a comparison then I do think that people only see what is real about themselves when things don’t go according to plan. It’s easy to be content when everything is “as it should be.”
I agree with your perspective on the matter. While Humpty Dumpty as a character might not have any inherent wisdom, the concept of the nursery rhyme can still be used as a metaphor to discuss the idea of personal growth through adversity. It is often in times of struggle and hardship that we are forced to confront our true selves, evaluate our priorities, and reexamine our beliefs.

Using Humpty Dumpty as an allegory for personal growth allows us to engage in a deeper conversation about self-discovery and finding inner strength. So, while the nursery rhyme itself might not have been intended as a philosophical piece, it has the potential to spark thought-provoking discussions about the human experience and how adversity can lead to a greater understanding of ourselves.

– William James

Return to “Discuss "In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All" by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream