When was the last time you changed your mind about something?

Discuss the November 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes.

To post in this forum, you must buy and read the book. After buying the book, please upload a screenshot of your receipt or proof or purchase via OnlineBookClub. Once the moderators approve your purchase at OnlineBookClub, you will then also automatically be given access to post in this forum.
Forum rules
This forum is for discussing the book In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All. Anyone can view the forum and read the post, but only people who purchased the book can post in the forum.

If your purchase has not already been verified (i.e. if you don't already have access to post in this forum), then please upload a screenshot of your receipt or proof or purchase via OnlineBookClub. Once the moderators approve your purchase at OnlineBookClub, you will then also automatically be given access to post in this forum.
Chris Alex Powell
Premium Member

Re: When was the last time you changed your mind about something?

Post by Chris Alex Powell »

I recently changed my mind about issues regarding my life beliefs and plans. I had believed that it was okay for me to relax and let my future come as it may while I fulfilled the basic requirements I thought I should meet. The changing factor was a conversation I had with a colleague, which was enlightening. I have not regretted my decision to be more than normal.
Donna Walker 1
Premium Member

Post by Donna Walker 1 »

It seems so insignificant now, but yesterday I accidentally shattered a glass shelf in my fridge while I was cleaning it. I just had a complete meltdown and considered having a drink. I'm an alcoholic in recovery who has been sober for 7 months. I cannot tell you how much my sobriety means to me, but in that fleeting moment, I really wanted a drink. Just having the thought then filled me with regret, dread, and disgust at myself, so I changed my mind and decided I did not need to go to the store and buy a drink. I do, in fact, have the power to make that choice. If I had chosen differently, I would probably be in a drunken stupor today, still on that bender. This was, in fact, a very important decision for me to change my mind. 

I don't know why I'm sharing this here, but there you go. 
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Premium Member

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

My two sisters encourage me to work in the office, previously, I said, okay. But yesterday, I changed my mind. Firstly, regarding my health issue, I am hesitant because I don't want to quit in the middle of the situation. Secondly, courage is external. Five outweighs the two, other members want me to stay because they are protective and always want my safety. Third, this is my choice. I always have a choice. I chose to live freely and simply. I want self-employed. Who doesn't want that you have control over your time and activity? I chose to live like this- free, less stressful, and simple.
Tosin-Le
Premium Member

Post by Tosin-Le »

I changed my mind this morning about the choice of food to eat in the evening. I didn't want to eat a proteinous diet, but I had to switch to it because I ate more carbohydrates in the previous days.
Kendal Low
Premium Member

Post by Kendal Low »

This past weekend I changed my mind about something that usually weighs on me significantly. I have always struggled with social anxiety, as well as generalized anxiety. So, I have always felt like I need to push myself to like all the same things my friends do, like clubbing and partying. I have always forced myself to do these things with my friends, as I always think "I know I'll regret not doing stuff like this when I'm older." However, the thought recently occurred to me that instead of my anxiety being the cause of my not wanting to join in, it could be that I just genuinely don't enjoy those activities, anxiety or not. I know my friends understand my anxiety and reluctance to participate in things like that, so I've recently decided (changed my mind) that it is okay just not to want to do the things you don't enjoy, and you don't have to push yourself to do them just because you think it is something you should be doing. It may not seem like a big deal to others, but this decision has lifted a huge weight off of my shoulders!

P.S. What a great question!
Kendal Low
Premium Member

Post by Kendal Low »

Donna Walker 1 wrote: February 25th, 2023, 3:49 pm It seems so insignificant now, but yesterday I accidentally shattered a glass shelf in my fridge while I was cleaning it. I just had a complete meltdown and considered having a drink. I'm an alcoholic in recovery who has been sober for 7 months. I cannot tell you how much my sobriety means to me, but in that fleeting moment, I really wanted a drink. Just having the thought then filled me with regret, dread, and disgust at myself, so I changed my mind and decided I did not need to go to the store and buy a drink. I do, in fact, have the power to make that choice. If I had chosen differently, I would probably be in a drunken stupor today, still on that bender. This was, in fact, a very important decision for me to change my mind. 

Hi there,

I know I'm a complete stranger and this may not mean anything to you, but I have witnessed first-hand the struggle that is addiction. Unfortunately, they weren't able to make the decision you did; to not drink. I hope you can feel pride in your decision and know how strong you are for making it. Congratulations! <3
Ms Chet
Premium Member

Post by Ms Chet »

That would be a few weeks ago. I decided not to go for the PhD program I'd already applied for since last December.
I couldn't bear the thought of going to the US without my family. So I decided to intensify my Digital Marketing online classes and development.
Luckily, it paid off. I got an offer from a company that requires my services.
So, I'm glad I did change my mind.
Kendal Low
Premium Member

Post by Kendal Low »

Ms Chet wrote: March 14th, 2023, 10:12 am That would be a few weeks ago. I decided not to go for the PhD program I'd already applied for since last December.
I couldn't bear the thought of going to the US without my family. So I decided to intensify my Digital Marketing online classes and development.
Luckily, it paid off. I got an offer from a company that requires my services.
So, I'm glad I did change my mind.
That's amazing! I'm so glad everything worked out for you. It just goes to show we are where we're meant to be.
Precious Anavheoba
Premium Member

Post by Precious Anavheoba »

Just last week. It wasn't much of a big deal but more like subtle regret. I had my tailor make a dress for me which I thought would look great. When I got my dress, it wasn't as flattering as I thought it would be so I wished I hadn't chosen that style. I decided not to wear it to where I had planned anymore. I'm yet to decide what to do with the dress.
Chinemezu Okafor
Premium Member

Post by Chinemezu Okafor »

The truth is that I change my mind a lot, and it is always last minute. It either makes me regret my decision later, or it makes me happy that I changed my mind. If the events that occurred after I changed my mind were pleasing, I would be happy, but if not, I would regret changing my mind. But I think it is really advisable to think about the consequences of your decisions before acting on them; this is something I learned recently.
ahassan_96
Premium Member

Post by ahassan_96 »

Interesting question indeed. I’ve changed my mind a couple of times because I had to adapt to different circumstances. For instance, just yesterday, by the time I’m writing this post, I was prepared to cancel my plans for a particular event that was scheduled to happen just a few weeks from now. It just took one text message to return everything in order.

I’ve always thought that planning was never the alternative. Rather, most of the time I would rely on or focus on what’s in the present. But later on, I realized that planning maintains focus, whether is on a particular goal or vision. Without proper planning, I believe not all matters will be put into perspective. Therefore, causing a state of confusion.

I was conflicted by the decisions I was trying to make thinking they would be of benefit. I realized that at times we can admit that we are the ones in the wrong to find that 'right’. I hope it makes sense…
Kirsten Schuder
Premium Member

Post by Kirsten Schuder »

Honestly, we change our minds about going out around here quite often. It depends on the day. We have a few things in this household to consider. One is the weather. We will not go do outdoor errands when it's raining, snowing, or cold. If my husband or son are having a bad day, we will change our minds and do whatever it was we planned on doing the next day. They both have physical difficulties, my husband more than my son. I would never drag them out of the house to do something they weren't up to doing, so I have to change my mind under those circumstances.
JUSTIN CHRISTENSEN
Premium Member

Post by JUSTIN CHRISTENSEN »

Recently, I have had some thought-provoking experiences about the value of labor laws for the average employee. I've always had a pretty cut-and dry opinion about them, but something that happened to me at work last month made me reevaluate my stance on the issue and reconsider my position. I'm being intentionally vague about my stance before and after because I don't want this to turn into a political post.

The whole thing was funny for me because it's a topic my Dad and I have always disagreed on and when I was relaying the story to him I told him it felt like I was becoming HIM as I was aging! I love the ability to change your opinion - and I love when I have experiences that push me to do so. Thanks for the question and for everyone's insights!
Catalina Isabel
Premium Member

Post by Catalina Isabel »

Donna Walker 1 wrote: February 25th, 2023, 3:49 pm It seems so insignificant now, but yesterday I accidentally shattered a glass shelf in my fridge while I was cleaning it. I just had a complete meltdown and considered having a drink. I'm an alcoholic in recovery who has been sober for 7 months. I cannot tell you how much my sobriety means to me, but in that fleeting moment, I really wanted a drink. Just having the thought then filled me with regret, dread, and disgust at myself, so I changed my mind and decided I did not need to go to the store and buy a drink. I do, in fact, have the power to make that choice. If I had chosen differently, I would probably be in a drunken stupor today, still on that bender. This was, in fact, a very important decision for me to change my mind. 

I just want to say that you are very brave and I wanted to thank you for sharing. I cannot even imagine what this is like, but you made the hard choice of not giving in to the initial thought. You should be very proud of yourself for that. My deepest congratulations for your 7 months sobriety.
Catalina Isabel
Premium Member

Post by Catalina Isabel »

I changed my mind about a job. I felt I was not ready to get the role (higher paying, going up a level in the company). I was not going to apply and then at the last minute I decided to do this. Unfortunately it did not go as planned, and I did not get the role. However, I am still glad I gave it a go. With this role, it often takes many tries as it is a big step up. Now, I have a resume ready, and the hiring managers are aware and supportive of this for me one day. I am on track for what I need to do to get there. I was a little disappointed with the outcome, but I stand by my choice.

Return to “Discuss "In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All" by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream