Don't take any advice from unhappy people.

Discuss the November 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes.

To post in this forum, you must buy and read the book. After buying the book, please upload a screenshot of your receipt or proof or purchase via OnlineBookClub. Once the moderators approve your purchase at OnlineBookClub, you will then also automatically be given access to post in this forum.
Forum rules
This forum is for discussing the book In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All. Anyone can view the forum and read the post, but only people who purchased the book can post in the forum.

If your purchase has not already been verified (i.e. if you don't already have access to post in this forum), then please upload a screenshot of your receipt or proof or purchase via OnlineBookClub. Once the moderators approve your purchase at OnlineBookClub, you will then also automatically be given access to post in this forum.
Hubre De Klerk
Premium Member

Re: Don't take any advice from unhappy people.

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

Have you ever realized that by being around people who constantly swear, even though you don't really swear, you start doing it without even realizing. Same if you are an overall happy person, if those around you are constantly negative, this definitely starts affecting you as well and you start being more negative that happy and positive. Due to this, I agree with this statement of yours.
Knitkat
Premium Member

Post by Knitkat »

I think those are valid points. If those who are unhappy had valid advice then it would follow that they shouldn't be as unhappy as they are. I think that it's important to understand where advice is coming from and who it is coming from before following it or even really considering it.
Pauline Parnell
Premium Member

Post by Pauline Parnell »

I agree with the concept in theory, however I disagree since unhappy people can offer guidance on their own misery. They can assist in guiding someone away from the suffering they have personally experienced. Even though they could not save themselves, they can still help others by sharing their experience.
Pauline Parnell
Premium Member

Post by Pauline Parnell »

I understand the statement, however I do disagree as unhappy people can give advice about unhappiness. They can help steer someone away from the misery they have encountered themselves. Even though they were not able to save themselves, others can benefit from their experience.
AvishaJain_13
Premium Member

Post by AvishaJain_13 »

It is true that one should not take advice from unhappy people, but I think that the term 'unhappy' is highly subjective. A person could be in a disturbed state of mind one day and could be preaching acceptance the next. So I believe that advice should always be taken only from those you know and trust to be of sound and sensible mind, regardless of unhappiness.
Sheilaread
Premium Member

Post by Sheilaread »

Lydia Matson wrote: January 25th, 2023, 1:37 pm I disagree with this actually. While the overall idea of what you're saying makes sense, it's too generalized. What if a morbidly obese person is that way because of a chronic disease, but actually is a master of nutrition? What if someone is financially struggling because of their family situation or because they're having to pay for extra healthcare, but learns to navigate their situation and still survive?

People who have diagnosed depression are often more intelligent. Plenty of people are unhappy because they simply know too much about the world. I find myself feeling unhappy at times, I wouldn't consider myself an unhappy person, but being unhappy does not make me any less adept at giving advice.
Thank you so much for this. I came here to say the very same type of thing!
We need to listen to what has made these people the way they are at the moment and see what positive learning gems we can gain from them.

Thank you for your reply❤️
Sheilaread
Premium Member

Post by Sheilaread »

Thank you for this topic.

I feel everyone deserves to be heard about what has made them be where they are right now. They may have some great advice on how to not get into the place they are in or ideas on how we can reverse life patterns to be happier, live healthier and be a more version of ourselves.

Yes, it’s always great to listen to the upbeat, positive people. They can lead you to be happy and feeling good about the choices you are making, but those people may not have the life experiences the other people have had.

If you start listening to unhappy, unhealthy and unsure people and see their advise will not serve you in a good way, then yes, you don’t want to listen to their help and advise any longer.

These choices are sometimes very hard to make.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

Hubre De Klerk wrote: January 28th, 2023, 2:33 pm by being around people who constantly swear, even though you don't really swear, you start doing it without even realizing. Same if you are an overall happy person, if those around you are constantly negative, this definitely starts affecting you as well and you start being more negative that happy and positive.
Very well said!

I agree. :)
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Pauline Parnell wrote: January 30th, 2023, 12:40 am unhappy people can offer guidance on their own misery. They can assist in guiding someone away from the suffering they have personally experienced. Even though they could not save themselves, they can still help others by sharing their experience.
I agree that following an unhappy person's advice could possibly cause the follower to be or remain happy, in the same way that someone who didn't go to medical school could possibly perform a successful heart surgery on you if you need heart surgery, and it could work and could go okay.

It could, but it might not.

It definitely is not the most reliable option available to you.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

The question isn't whether they always provide incorrect advice.

A very obese person's weight loss advice could be sound, but it might not be. You cannot take everyone's advice. Time is very limited. You have to say no to almost every single potential advisor. We aren't looking for someone who might be right, or who isn't always wrong.

There is no shortage of non-obese people offering weight loss advice, so among the other qualifications I'd look for that is also a deal-breaker for me.

Likewise, there is no shortage of highly qualified happy people giving advice in any field, so I will not ever take advice from unhappy people about anything.

It doesn't mean the unhappy people are always giving incorrect advice, but it is a blemish on their résumé that makes their advice less reliable, compared to someone who is equally qualified by all other measures but who also the extra qualification of having proved their advice works by using it on themselves. There are too many other much more credible and reliable advisors out there to spend my very limited time and energy testing out the less reliable ones instead of the more reliable one.

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Scott wrote: December 14th, 2022, 7:14 pm I love and respect all people. However, in this human form, time, energy, money, and resources are very limited, so...

I don't take weight loss advice from morbidly obese people.

I don't take financial advice from financially poor people.

And I don't take any advice from unhappy people.

By unhappy people, I mean those who lack what I call "inner peace", meaning the consistent contentment of spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline).

Some people might call it "nirvana" or "the consistent joy of enlightenment". Some might just call it "true happiness".

[Emphasis added.]
AvishaJain_13 wrote: January 30th, 2023, 4:39 am It is true that one should not take advice from unhappy people, but I think that the term 'unhappy' is highly subjective.
I agree.

However, as explained in the OP, in this particular topic I am using the word 'happiness' as short-hand for what would more often be called true happiness by most people, and what I would typically call "inner peace", meaning the consistent contentment of spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline).

So, for example, in this sense of the words (i.e. in terms of "true happiness", a.k.a. "inner peace" or "nirvana"), I would not consider a heroin addict who just shot up to be a happy person, despite them being on a high and likely having a fleeting smile at the moment.

Likewise, in terms of that 'true happiness' (a.k.a. "inner peace" or "nirvana"), I might consider Gandhi when he was in the middle of a 21-day hunger strike to be a happy person even while experiencing severe hunger pain.

In terms of that 'true happiness' (a.k.a. "inner peace" or "nirvana"), I might consider Martin Luther King to have been a happy person while he sat in an uncomfortable jail cell any 1 of the 29 times he was arrested.

Generally, that kind of 'true happiness' (a.k.a. "inner peace" or "nirvana") does not change from day to day, and it is not affected by the yin-yang-balanced ups and downs of everyday life, particularly the kind of fickle yin-yang sensual qualities balanced out to net zeros by sensory adaptation (e.g. comfort vs discomfort, sensual pleasure vs pain, fleeting emotional highs vs fleeting emotional lows, etc.).

Of course, one can choose the advisors and role models based on the kind of 'happiness' one wants. If one thinks of the high of a heroin addict as true happiness, then I suggest one seek out heroin addicts for advice to get that kind of 'true happiness'. But personally I don't think of that as true happiness (i.e. the inner peace of spiritual freedom) but actually quite the opposite. As explained in the book, addition is the epitome of spiritual slavery or imprisonment, meaning the opposite of spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline).

In contrast to the previous example. if one thinks of what I call spiritual freedom and inner peace as true happiness as I do, then I suggest that person finds someone who has consistent inner peace from whom to take advice, and more importantly I suggest that person never ever take advice from someone who does not have that consistent inner peace day-in and day-out, both on rainy and sunny days, both in jail and when set free, both while drinking with buddies and while having a hangover the next day, both while working long hours at a grueling paying job and while cashing the check and getting the money.

AvishaJain_13
Premium Member

Post by AvishaJain_13 »

Scott wrote: January 31st, 2023, 1:45 am
Scott wrote: December 14th, 2022, 7:14 pm I love and respect all people. However, in this human form, time, energy, money, and resources are very limited, so...

I don't take weight loss advice from morbidly obese people.

I don't take financial advice from financially poor people.

And I don't take any advice from unhappy people.

By unhappy people, I mean those who lack what I call "inner peace", meaning the consistent contentment of spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline).

Some people might call it "nirvana" or "the consistent joy of enlightenment". Some might just call it "true happiness".

[Emphasis added.]
AvishaJain_13 wrote: January 30th, 2023, 4:39 am It is true that one should not take advice from unhappy people, but I think that the term 'unhappy' is highly subjective.
I agree.

However, as explained in the OP, in this particular topic I am using the word 'happiness' as short-hand for what would more often be called true happiness by most people, and what I would typically call "inner peace", meaning the consistent contentment of spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline).

So, for example, in this sense of the words (i.e. in terms of "true happiness", a.k.a. "inner peace" or "nirvana"), I would not consider a heroin addict who just shot up to be a happy person, despite them being on a high and likely having a fleeting smile at the moment.

Likewise, in terms of that 'true happiness' (a.k.a. "inner peace" or "nirvana"), I might consider Gandhi when he was in the middle of a 21-day hunger strike to be a happy person even while experiencing severe hunger pain.

In terms of that 'true happiness' (a.k.a. "inner peace" or "nirvana"), I might consider Martin Luther King to have been a happy person while he sat in an uncomfortable jail cell any 1 of the 29 times he was arrested.

Generally, that kind of 'true happiness' (a.k.a. "inner peace" or "nirvana") does not change from day to day, and it is not affected by the yin-yang-balanced ups and downs of everyday life, particularly the kind of fickle yin-yang sensual qualities balanced out to net zeros by sensory adaptation (e.g. comfort vs discomfort, sensual pleasure vs pain, fleeting emotional highs vs fleeting emotional lows, etc.).

Of course, one can choose the advisors and role models based on the kind of 'happiness' one wants. If one thinks of the high of a heroin addict as true happiness, then I suggest one seek out heroin addicts for advice to get that kind of 'true happiness'. But personally I don't think of that as true happiness (i.e. the inner peace of spiritual freedom) but actually quite the opposite. As explained in the book, addition is the epitome of spiritual slavery or imprisonment, meaning the opposite of spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline).

In contrast to the previous example. if one thinks of what I call spiritual freedom and inner peace as true happiness as I do, then I suggest that person finds someone who has consistent inner peace from whom to take advice, and more importantly I suggest that person never ever take advice from someone who does not have that consistent inner peace day-in and day-out, both on rainy and sunny days, both in jail and when set free, both while drinking with buddies and while having a hangover the next day, both while working long hours at a grueling paying job and while cashing the check and getting the money.

That is very true, thank you for that perspective. This might be a childish example but this reminded me of Dumbledore from Harry Potter whom when I was a child, I considered to be the calmest and wisest fictional character ever. I remember feeling that if I ever needed help in life, someone like that would be my go to person. Therefore, I now see what you meant by not taking advice from an unhappy person.
Tori_J
Premium Member

Post by Tori_J »

I agree with you on thIs one. If a person couldn't have taken their own advice, then why should you? Two things could have happened. It's either they know nothing about what they are saying or they are telling you something which they tried and it failed.
Leasa Ana Maria
Premium Member

Post by Leasa Ana Maria »

There is a saying that you should surround yourself with people who have the tools and advice to accomplish the things you want to accomplish, or something like that. So why would I surround myself with or take advice from those who clearly lack any understanding of the aspect in which I am interested?
trevorlando
Premium Member

Post by trevorlando »

Why would you take advice from unhappy people? This logic makes no sense really, considering how you would not want to take financial advise from a crook or an individual who is severely in debt. If you want advice on life, make sure to speak to someone who is content with their lives and has perspective on being happy, not someone who is stuck in their own ways and only has experience being unhappy.
Shondranika Ford
Premium Member

Post by Shondranika Ford »

Very well said. It’s like Hughes said, “We can’t help starving children because we can’t help ourselves.” Misery loves company - to increase misery in most cases.

Return to “Discuss "In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All" by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream