What is your answer to the updated Opening Question? ("If you went to sleep in your body in your bed with your...")

Discuss the November 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes.

To post in this forum, you must buy and read the book. After buying the book, please upload a screenshot of your receipt or proof or purchase via OnlineBookClub. Once the moderators approve your purchase at OnlineBookClub, you will then also automatically be given access to post in this forum.
Forum rules
This forum is for discussing the book In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All. Anyone can view the forum and read the post, but only people who purchased the book can post in the forum.

If your purchase has not already been verified (i.e. if you don't already have access to post in this forum), then please upload a screenshot of your receipt or proof or purchase via OnlineBookClub. Once the moderators approve your purchase at OnlineBookClub, you will then also automatically be given access to post in this forum.
Stoppelmann
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Alan Watts

Re: What is your answer to the updated Opening Question? ("If you went to sleep in your body in your bed with your...")

Post by Stoppelmann »

Sushan wrote: December 30th, 2022, 2:41 am
Bertha Jackson wrote: December 29th, 2022, 8:22 pm
Sushan wrote: December 28th, 2022, 2:49 am After reading your book I see me and you as two identical cores that are covered with memories, flesh, clothes, and many more to be socially distinguished. But there is no actual demarcation to seperate me from you, or you from me. So the scenario that you described in the question will affect neither real me nor real you in any way.
I like how you describe this.
Thank you. But it is not how I interpreted it, that is how Scott interpreted it in his book. And I think I understood that correctly. If our cores are similar, then there will not be any change when the outer coverings are changed. A computer will remain as the same computer (with its performance) even though you change its outer casing. If you replace its HDD then it will have new memories. But its core will remain unchanged.

What is hard is seeing the core and identifying it as it is, and it will be a great step in the path towards inner peace.
I would have also seen the quote as your understanding of the book, which I also believe the book is implying. What I still ask, although Scott hasn’t replied to me, is how the observer identifies, because in meditation, I find that my identity is external, bound up in appearances, thoughts, and memories, whilst at my core, there is just silence. As I mentioned before, if that observer identifies with a cosmic unity, and I am one with everything, I have no awareness of the expansiveness of existence, except what my senses perceive.
“Find someone who makes you realise three things:
One, that home is not a place, but a feeling.
Two, that time is not measured by a clock, but by moments.
And three, that heartbeats are not heard, but felt and shared.”
― Abhysheq Shukla
Sushan
Book of the Month Discussion Leader

Re: What is your answer to the updated Opening Question? ("If you went to sleep in your body in your bed with your...")

Post by Sushan »

Stoppelmann wrote: December 30th, 2022, 3:24 am
Sushan wrote: December 30th, 2022, 2:41 am
Bertha Jackson wrote: December 29th, 2022, 8:22 pm
Sushan wrote: December 28th, 2022, 2:49 am After reading your book I see me and you as two identical cores that are covered with memories, flesh, clothes, and many more to be socially distinguished. But there is no actual demarcation to seperate me from you, or you from me. So the scenario that you described in the question will affect neither real me nor real you in any way.
I like how you describe this.
Thank you. But it is not how I interpreted it, that is how Scott interpreted it in his book. And I think I understood that correctly. If our cores are similar, then there will not be any change when the outer coverings are changed. A computer will remain as the same computer (with its performance) even though you change its outer casing. If you replace its HDD then it will have new memories. But its core will remain unchanged.

What is hard is seeing the core and identifying it as it is, and it will be a great step in the path towards inner peace.
I would have also seen the quote as your understanding of the book, which I also believe the book is implying. What I still ask, although Scott hasn’t replied to me, is how the observer identifies, because in meditation, I find that my identity is external, bound up in appearances, thoughts, and memories, whilst at my core, there is just silence. As I mentioned before, if that observer identifies with a cosmic unity, and I am one with everything, I have no awareness of the expansiveness of existence, except what my senses perceive.
I think that is an issue with the observer. We see people differently because we see people as their external appearances rather than seeing them as their internal cores. With the former identification we will definitely notify the change after the scenario that is given in the topic. But if everyone just looks at the core, there won't be any difference, and there won't be any discriminations. Everyone will be the same. You will be me and I will be you. (I believe that I understood your point correctly)
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
Stoppelmann
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Alan Watts

Post by Stoppelmann »

Sushan wrote: December 30th, 2022, 3:29 am I think that is an issue with the observer. We see people differently because we see people as their external appearances rather than seeing them as their internal cores. With the former identification we will definitely notify the change after the scenario that is given in the topic. But if everyone just looks at the core, there won't be any difference, and there won't be any discriminations. Everyone will be the same. You will be me and I will be you. (I believe that I understood your point correctly)
That seems to be my point, yes.

The OP is asking “If you went to sleep in your body in your bed with your memories, and awoke in my body in my bed with my memories instead of yours, would you notice a difference? Would there even be a difference to notice?”

So, having new memories instead of the old, my external identity would change, but having no core identity, nothing would change as long as I remembered meditating and encountering my core self.
“Find someone who makes you realise three things:
One, that home is not a place, but a feeling.
Two, that time is not measured by a clock, but by moments.
And three, that heartbeats are not heard, but felt and shared.”
― Abhysheq Shukla
Sushan
Book of the Month Discussion Leader

Post by Sushan »

Stoppelmann wrote: December 30th, 2022, 3:39 am
Sushan wrote: December 30th, 2022, 3:29 am I think that is an issue with the observer. We see people differently because we see people as their external appearances rather than seeing them as their internal cores. With the former identification we will definitely notify the change after the scenario that is given in the topic. But if everyone just looks at the core, there won't be any difference, and there won't be any discriminations. Everyone will be the same. You will be me and I will be you. (I believe that I understood your point correctly)
That seems to be my point, yes.

The OP is asking “If you went to sleep in your body in your bed with your memories, and awoke in my body in my bed with my memories instead of yours, would you notice a difference? Would there even be a difference to notice?”

So, having new memories instead of the old, my external identity would change, but having no core identity, nothing would change as long as I remembered meditating and encountering my core self.
I think 'memories' should have been excluded from this OP to avoid any confusions because the change of memories can suddenly make someone different. We may later identify the bodily changes, but a change of mind will be noticed suddenly. And that will lead any ordinary fellow into panic, and he/she will no longer be able to even think about the similarities of the inner cores
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
Bertha Jackson
Premium Member

Post by Bertha Jackson »

I agree with this analogy.
ArielJMartin
Premium Member

Post by ArielJMartin »

If I had your memories, instead of mine...I would think that I would not notice the difference. If I lacked my memories, I would have never known I had different memories than the ones I now have. My awareness would now be your awareness and, if I am understanding the question correctly, the previous would no longer exist. I would now be you and no longer would I be me.
Samantha Barnes 3
Premium Member

Post by Samantha Barnes 3 »

I wouldn't notice a difference because as far as I could know, there would be no difference to notice. Even if I was someone else the day before, if I had no memory of being her then it would be as if she had never existed.
Pauline Parnell
Premium Member

Post by Pauline Parnell »

This is a very unusual question, but it's not really difficult to answer. If I awake in your bed with your body and your memories, that would mean I am you and not me. Nothing would change in me as I would have no knowledge of my former self. Your memories are now my memories. There would be no difference to notice.
Shillah Andeso
Premium Member

Post by Shillah Andeso »

Every time I read this question my view tends to change. From the way I understand it, only my memory will change but I'll have the same body. I believe I will notice because what if I look in the mirror? The reflection I see will not be the one I expect. I will ask myself if I recognize the person in the mirror because I think a person always has a memory of their reflection. My answer is based on whether I will notice something different.
Knitkat
Premium Member

Post by Knitkat »

I think that instead is the key word here. If all of my memories are gone and I had someone else's then I would be that person and not myself. The body is really nothing more than a shell that carries you around you are your memories and thoughts. That means that erasing your memories and overriding them with another's would override you.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

Knitkat wrote: January 29th, 2023, 4:42 pm If all of my memories are gone and I had someone else's then I would be that person and not myself. [...] you are your memories and thoughts.
Interesting perspective. In the above sentences, in regard to what the book calls "the Two Yous", is the word 'you' (and by extension the word 'I') being used to refer to what the book calls "the real you" or "the unreal you"?

In any case, if 'you' get severe amnesia do 'you' cease to exist?

In terms of what the book calls 'the unreal me', I am currently 36-years-old, and we can refer to this me writing this here and now as 36-year-old Scott. I don't have any of the same memories as 6-year-old Scott. And he had/has none of the ones I do now. Does that mean that I am not him?
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Very well said!

I agree. :)

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Pauline Parnell wrote: January 28th, 2023, 12:56 am There would be no difference to notice.
I agree.

The two situations are identical.

It's like asking if everything in the universe magically instantly was moved one meter to the right, would there be any difference to notice? Such questions and their null answers can help reveal certain things are not objective and that certain seemingly objective fundamentals (e.g. an objective background spatial coordinate system) don't actually exist.

In a sense, it's a true to say that everything is one feet to the right as it is to say that it isn't.

In a sense, it's as true to say you (i.e. the real you, and the real me) wake up in your body as it is to say you (i.e. the real you, and the real me) wake up in my body, because those two situations are identical. The more clear and even more accurate way to say the same thing is this: The real you and the real me are one in the same and do wake up in your body and wake up in mine. 'The real you' and 'the real me' are synonyms. In the sense of 'the real you' and 'the real me', you are me, and I am you, and we do already wake up in your body and in my body.

Sheilaread
Premium Member

Post by Sheilaread »

I find this whole idea extremely fascinating.

I think my answer here would be that if I became you; first of all, where would you go? Then, I’m also thinking that if I left myself and became you, there would be no change. There would still be a mind to fill with memories, to focus on being happy, sad, at peace, and all the other emotions each of us work through on a daily basis.

Other than the outer obvious differences, going to sleep as me and waking up as you would really not have any differences inside our minds.
Hubre De Klerk
Premium Member

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

I don't think you would notice any difference as you would essentially be that person. Unless there is something to make you wonder like flashbacks, dreams, and feelings of Deja Vu, I don't think you would know there was any change at all.

Return to “Discuss "In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All" by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream