Do you agree that there is no problem of evil?

Discuss the November 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes.

To post in this forum, you must buy and read the book. After buying the book, please upload a screenshot of your receipt or proof or purchase via OnlineBookClub. Once the moderators approve your purchase at OnlineBookClub, you will then also automatically be given access to post in this forum.
Forum rules
This forum is for discussing the book In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All. Anyone can view the forum and read the post, but only people who purchased the book can post in the forum.

If your purchase has not already been verified (i.e. if you don't already have access to post in this forum), then please upload a screenshot of your receipt or proof or purchase via OnlineBookClub. Once the moderators approve your purchase at OnlineBookClub, you will then also automatically be given access to post in this forum.
User avatar
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Posts: 5901
Joined: January 20th, 2007, 6:24 pm
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Contact:

Do you agree that there is no problem of evil?

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

This is a discussion forum topic for the November 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All.


I politely request that you only reply to this forum topic and question if you already read the whole book, since the book both explains what is meant by the claim "there is no problem of evil", and more importantly the book provides my reasoning and argument for the conclusion that there is no problem of evil.

In fact, the book contains an entire chapter titled, "There Is No Problem of Evil".

Among other important things, the text in that chapter states, "there is no problem of evil because there is no evil".

After reading the book, do you agree with that? Do you agree that there is no problem of evil?



---
The book is available for purchase from all major book retailers in both ebook and hardcover format.
Image
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Hannah Neely
Premium Member
Posts: 1
Joined: January 17th, 2023, 5:45 pm

Re: Do you agree that there is no problem of evil?

Post by Hannah Neely »

To answer the question, yes, I do agree that there is no problem of evil. The evil is created by us, humans, because of the choices we make. I believe that consequences are the reason evil exists. In a humans reality our biggest downfall is because we have freewill, the options to choose. The fact that we get to make choice means we can make mistakes, this sometimes results in unwanted consequences of our actions, thus resulting in an evil fighting against us.
Amy Luman
Premium Member
Posts: 18
Joined: November 3rd, 2022, 10:16 am

Re: Do you agree that there is no problem of evil?

Post by Amy Luman »

No, I don’t. As a Christian, I believe that there is evil in the world, brought about by Satan and the fall of man. Now, whether we let evil overcome us, make us continue the evil, is another story. A person can encounter evil and not let it continue through them. All evil is from Satan and is intended to destroy man through his acceptance of it.
Aditi Mehta 1
Premium Member
Posts: 9
Joined: November 3rd, 2022, 10:24 am

Re: Do you agree that there is no problem of evil?

Post by Aditi Mehta 1 »

I agree that there is no problem of evil. Good and evil both are created by humanity. If there will be no evil, we won't appreciate the good.
User avatar
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Posts: 5901
Joined: January 20th, 2007, 6:24 pm
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Contact:

Re: Do you agree that there is no problem of evil?

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

Amy Luman wrote: January 29th, 2023, 10:35 pm No, I don’t. As a Christian, I believe that there is evil in the world, brought about by Satan and the fall of man. Now, whether we let evil overcome us, make us continue the evil, is another story. A person can encounter evil and not let it continue through them. All evil is from Satan and is intended to destroy man through his acceptance of it.
Interesting.

I find the claim that 'there is evil' to be the best and strongest argument against the belief in the existence of god.

I would agree with this statement: "If evil exists, god doesn't."

I agree with that for the same reason I believe this statement is also true: If eternal reality should be different than it is, then an omnipotent god does not exist.

In other words, if unchangeable eternal reality (e.g. the past) is not the way it 'should' be, then to me that means there must not be a god, at least not in the sense of a singular all-mighty loving god.

In yet other words, if eternal creation is bad, then there is no all-powerful loving god.

In contrast, I believe reality as a timeless unchanging whole is beautiful. I believe (as stated in my book) that insofar as the word 'should' has any meaning, then everything is exactly as it should be. In other words, to me, the whole of eternal creation is a wonderful beautiful perfect harmony worthy of love.

I don't think it's evil. I don't think it's bad. Thus, I think that if there is a god, then he did a good job. A great amazing perfect job, in fact.
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
User avatar
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Posts: 5901
Joined: January 20th, 2007, 6:24 pm
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Contact:

Re: Do you agree that there is no problem of evil?

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

Scott wrote: December 15th, 2022, 6:33 pm Among other important things, the text in that chapter states, "there is no problem of evil because there is no evil".

After reading the book, do you agree with that?
Hannah Neely wrote: January 29th, 2023, 3:10 pm To answer the question, yes, I do agree that there is no problem of evil. The evil is created by us, humans,
I'm sorry; I don't understand what you mean.

Are you agreeing that there is no evil or not?


You may also be interested in the topic There is no "Is-Ought Problem" because there is no 'ought'. In that topic, I recap a bit more the explanation from the book about why there are no shoulds or oughts (and by extension no evil, i.e. no thing that should/ought be different).
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
User avatar
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Posts: 5901
Joined: January 20th, 2007, 6:24 pm
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Contact:

Re: Do you agree that there is no problem of evil?

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

Scott wrote: December 15th, 2022, 6:33 pm Among other important things, the text in that chapter states, "there is no problem of evil because there is no evil".

After reading the book, do you agree with that?
Aditi Mehta 1 wrote: January 30th, 2023, 4:44 am I agree that there is no problem of evil. Good and evil both are created by humanity.
I'm sorry; I don't understand what you mean.

Are you agreeing that there is no evil or not?


You may also be interested in the topic There is no "Is-Ought Problem" because there is no 'ought'. In that topic, I recap a bit more the explanation from the book about why there are no shoulds or oughts (and by extension no evil, i.e. no thing that should/ought be different).
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Shondranika Ford
Premium Member
Posts: 10
Joined: January 17th, 2023, 5:44 pm

Re: Do you agree that there is no problem of evil?

Post by Shondranika Ford »

Amy Luman wrote: January 29th, 2023, 10:35 pm No, I don’t. As a Christian, I believe that there is evil in the world, brought about by Satan and the fall of man. Now, whether we let evil overcome us, make us continue the evil, is another story. A person can encounter evil and not let it continue through them. All evil is from Satan and is intended to destroy man through his acceptance of it.
I agree with Amy. I’m a Christian as well and still believe there’s evil after reading the entire book - which was amazing. I say there’s evil because people have choice and “see what they want to see.” If that’s true, they choose to see or not see evil and either accept or deny its existence.

I also saw the answer, “if evil exists, God doesn’t.” To me, evil exists to oppose God because God doesn’t co-exist with evil. He doesn’t delve in it but doesn’t deny it - actually, He acknowledges its existence. God doesn’t force us to choose in the spiritual battle, but the enemy tempts us by forcing us to choose.

I want to thank the original poster for creating a beautiful, healthy discussion!
Owuamanam Eberechukwu
Premium Member
Posts: 11
Joined: November 3rd, 2022, 10:23 am

Re: Do you agree that there is no problem of evil?

Post by Owuamanam Eberechukwu »

Based on the book's content and logical presentation, your argument is watertight. However, what is the parameters for defining the concept? Is your definition of evil concurrent with the interpretation and universal definition of evil?
beckybelvin
Premium Member
Posts: 8
Joined: December 15th, 2022, 1:42 pm

Re: Do you agree that there is no problem of evil?

Post by beckybelvin »

First of all, let me say that I enjoyed the book. Some things I agreed with, but others I didn't. I don't agree with the statement that there is no evil. I don't see how anyone could believe that there is no evil if they live on the same planet that I do. There is evil rampant today. It is true that we create it ourselves, but it's there, no matter where it came from.
Meghan Sica
Premium Member
Posts: 14
Joined: January 17th, 2023, 5:44 pm

Re: Do you agree that there is no problem of evil?

Post by Meghan Sica »

I, one hundred percent, do not agree that there is no evil. My personal beliefs are not set in stone, or led by one religion or another. It is mainly just a feeling, intuition, that the world is in a constant state of balance. To balance good, there must be an equal counterpart, evil. I have read and researched many horrible events that have transpired and I have to honestly say, the only way these events could have happened is if the person who committed the crimes were truly evil.
Meghan Soderholm
Premium Member
Posts: 13
Joined: November 3rd, 2022, 10:24 am

Re: Do you agree that there is no problem of evil?

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

I do agree with the statement that there is no problem of evil, and here is why. In life, we go through struggles, challenges, trials, and tribulations. As a Christian, I do agree that there is evil, and it does exist thanks to Satan. However, evil can be conquered and in certain areas of life not so strong and abundant. Evil does exist, there is no problem, and most importantly it does not have to be powerful.
Salah bourouba
Premium Member
Posts: 10
Joined: November 3rd, 2022, 10:24 am

Re: Do you agree that there is no problem of evil?

Post by Salah bourouba »

I don't really. Evil came down to earth with Satan when he tricked Adam and eve to eat from the apple tree when god told him not to. So it exists from the beginning of man. However it does depend on people's nature to follow and do evil or not
abstactlemon
Premium Member
Posts: 21
Joined: January 17th, 2023, 5:44 pm

Re: Do you agree that there is no problem of evil?

Post by abstactlemon »

I believe the concept of good and evil is flawed. As humans we like to paint things in black and white, but there is just morality, and the line is different for every individual. That being said I think a good rule of thumb is to keep yourself within the lines most people agree on.
User avatar
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Posts: 5901
Joined: January 20th, 2007, 6:24 pm
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Contact:

Re: Do you agree that there is no problem of evil?

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

Owuamanam Eberechukwu wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 4:54 am Based on the book's content and logical presentation, your argument is watertight. However, what is the parameters for defining the concept? Is your definition of evil concurrent with the interpretation and universal definition of evil?
Thank you for your question! :)

To me, the idea of 'evil' is merely just another way of saying 'should not' or 'ought not'. To me, saying "past is evil" is the same as saying, "the past ought not be the way it is" or "the past shouldn't be the way it is".

To me, seeing things as 'evil' in that way is simply another form of not accepting what one cannot change/control.
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Post Reply

Return to “Discuss "In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All" by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Advent of Time: A Solution to the Problem of Evil...

The Advent of Time: A Solution to the Problem of Evil...
by Indignus Servus
November 2024

Reconceptualizing Mental Illness in the Digital Age

Reconceptualizing Mental Illness in the Digital Age
by Elliott B. Martin, Jr.
October 2024

How is God Involved in Evolution?

How is God Involved in Evolution?
by Joe P. Provenzano, Ron D. Morgan, and Dan R. Provenzano
August 2024

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
by Dr Frank L Douglas
August 2021

If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your Buts

If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your Buts
by Mark L. Wdowiak
September 2021

The Preppers Medical Handbook

The Preppers Medical Handbook
by Dr. William W Forgey M.D.
October 2021

Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide

Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
by Dr. Gustavo Kinrys, MD
November 2021

Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir

Dream For Peace
by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah
December 2021