"What stands in the way becomes the way."

Discuss the November 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes.

To post in this forum, you must buy and read the book. After buying the book, please upload a screenshot of your receipt or proof or purchase via OnlineBookClub. Once the moderators approve your purchase at OnlineBookClub, you will then also automatically be given access to post in this forum.
Forum rules
This forum is for discussing the book In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All. Anyone can view the forum and read the post, but only people who purchased the book can post in the forum.

If your purchase has not already been verified (i.e. if you don't already have access to post in this forum), then please upload a screenshot of your receipt or proof or purchase via OnlineBookClub. Once the moderators approve your purchase at OnlineBookClub, you will then also automatically be given access to post in this forum.
Chiwelite Obioma Mgbeoji
Premium Member

Re: "What stands in the way becomes the way."

Post by Chiwelite Obioma Mgbeoji »

Learning to accept things that cannot be changed as what they are "cannot be changed" has helped me move on quickly from things that should have slowed me down, hurt me or even put me in depression. I have the outlook that sometimes things are beyond our control and that may just be fine as well.
abstactlemon
Premium Member

Post by abstactlemon »

Chris Alex Powell wrote: March 5th, 2023, 11:02 am I think I understand this better, especially after reading the comments here. Sometimes we are faced with obstacles that impede our growth and we want to give up. However, is that the answer? I have experienced this in my place of work too, where I felt that certain changes would affect how things were. However, these changes became a way for me to grow even more because I played my cards well. I agree with the comment that emphasized the saying 'if you cannot go around it, go through it.'
Yes. I was having a hard time wrapping my head around the concept. But I believe that I understand after reading the comments as well. Growth only comes from try-fail cycles. Meeting a wall doesn't mean the end, it only means an opportunity to learn and adapt.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

Amy Luman wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 9:26 pm Isn’t there a saying, “if you can’t go around it, go through it”? That makes it become the way.
I love that! :D
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Kendal Low
Premium Member

Post by Kendal Low »

Scott wrote: January 12th, 2023, 10:37 pm Only by fully and unconditionally accepting the proverbial cards we are dealt (i.e. only by fully and unconditionally accepting that which cannot be changed) are we able to best play those cards.

By wasting even the smallest bit of time, energy, or resources resenting that which we know we cannot change, we thereby absolutely cannot play those proverbial cards the best we can, since our time, energy, and resources are all finite.

What's spent on one is taken from the other.
I've never thought about it this way. I think this is such a clever outlook, as not only does it inspire you to do the best you can with what you have, but it also inspires you to take your energy away from the negatives like what you don't or can never have. This way, you can put all of your energy into what is best. I really love this way of thinking!
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Premium Member

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

"The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way."
- Marcus Aurelius
I always love Marcus Aurelius' quotes. It is very true. The mind adapts to everything. What can't be changed, can't be. What can be changed, can be. So, focus on things that can be changed.
Covenant Olusegun
Premium Member

Post by Covenant Olusegun »

I agree with you on this: we shouldn't let our past stand in our way or spend time on regret because if we do, it becomes who we are.

lec_nemanja
Premium Member

Post by lec_nemanja »

I mostly agree that by unconditionally accepting unchangeable reality we can make the best of it. It sounds very pragmatic. What I do not agree with is the fatalistic note that I perceive in the uncompromising acceptance.
Abby Young 2
Premium Member

Post by Abby Young 2 »

I really like this quote. It reminds me that what ever you work on will become the only thing. At some point in our lives we have to choose something to make a living with. If you have to get a job while trying to work on starting a small business then if you're not careful then your full time, make a living job will become the only thing you have energy for. 30 years later you're still working the same job no closer to your dream.
Catalina Isabel
Premium Member

Post by Catalina Isabel »

I love this idea Scott. I think it's so true that we can get so stuck on these things that we wre unable to change, that they can consume us, and make us feel horrible. If we can't change it, then by waste time on it? Worrying about it? We are unable to do anything even if we think and worry for years, so it really is an unnecessary use of our time and energy.
Yasmine M
Premium Member

Post by Yasmine M »

"What stands in the way becomes the way" as long as you can accept it and make it the new way. If we cannot go around an obstacle that is standing in our way, we must try to use it at our advantage. I believe there is a reason for things to be in our way.

Something to ponder about: What if the obstacle is actually telling us to change our way? Perhaps it is guiding us to chose a new route??
sam_rahman12
Premium Member

Post by sam_rahman12 »

This is a new way of looking at things and I am intrigued. I used to think the obstacles are for you to solve them and learn from them, but using them to forge the path you want to go to is a new positive outlook. This is truly amazing!
JUSTIN CHRISTENSEN
Premium Member

Post by JUSTIN CHRISTENSEN »

I appreciate the quote from Marcus Aurelius and the wisdom it imparts. It's a reminder that our perspective and adaptability can play a significant role in how we approach obstacles in our lives.

I resonate deeply with the importance of unconditionally accepting the unchangeable aspects of reality. By doing so, we allow ourselves to focus on what we can control and take proactive steps to turn obstacles into opportunities. This mindset is crucial to thriving in an uncertain, ever-changing world full of unexpected challenges.
Sophia_D_Ajayi
Premium Member

Post by Sophia_D_Ajayi »

And violence takes it by force. Whatever stands in your way, should be trampled upon and used as a bridge to cross over to a brighter future. I don't believe in relenting. If I discover obstacles, I immediately look for ways to eradicate them.
Damian Keyes
Premium Member

Post by Damian Keyes »

I have never heard this quote before until I read this book. It's one of those sayings that'll be with you forever. An example I can think of that fits this quote is when a teenage girl gets pregnant. I've seen firsthand how that pregnancy changed the trajectory of her life. She always wanted to go to college but motherhood became her life's purpose. Being a mother stood in her way of going for her dreams and that's all what her life is about. But, as this book showcases, it's never too late to go for what you want. She decided to reset her life and now she owns her own business.
OyeTimothy
Premium Member

Post by OyeTimothy »

In our journey of personal development, we often confront barriers that hinder our progress and tempt us to abandon our pursuits. However, is surrendering truly the answer we seek? I have personally encountered this dilemma within the context of my workplace, where I initially harbored concerns that certain changes would disrupt the existing dynamics. Surprisingly, these very changes eventually presented themselves as opportunities for tremendous growth, as I strategically maneuvered through the challenges at hand.

Return to “Discuss "In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All" by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream