Do you agree with everything in the book, "In It Together"? If not, what is the first sentence with which you disagree?

Discuss the November 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes.

To post in this forum, you must buy and read the book. After buying the book, please email a copy of your receipt to [email protected] to be given access to this forum.
Forum rules
This forum is for discussing the book In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All. Anyone can view the forum and read the post, but only people who purchased the book can post in the forum.

If your purchased has not already been verified, please email a copy of your receipt to [email protected] to be given access to this forum.
Post Reply
User avatar
Jack King 2
Premium Member
Posts: 12
Joined: March 3rd, 2023, 7:41 am

Re: Do you agree with everything in the book, "In It Together"? If not, what is the first sentence with which you disagr

Post by Jack King 2 »

I’m only a few pages in so far but no disagreements yet. I’m sure I will at some point but don’t expect any big ones based on what I’ve read so far.
Sugar Rush
Premium Member
Posts: 10
Joined: December 15th, 2022, 1:41 pm

Re: Do you agree with everything in the book, "In It Together"? If not, what is the first sentence with which you disagr

Post by Sugar Rush »

I would agree with you on a lot of things but there are some that I was really confused about. At times, I would worry if I was on the same page with you or if I had gone off your intended tracks. For example, we cant help starving children because we can't help ourselves?
User avatar
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Posts: 5701
Joined: January 20th, 2007, 6:24 pm
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Contact:

Re: Do you agree with everything in the book, "In It Together"? If not, what is the first sentence with which you disagr

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

Sugar Rush wrote: March 5th, 2023, 7:04 pm we cant help starving children because we can't help ourselves
Well, that's the name of a chapter.

Would you mind re-reading that chapter and then telling me (excluding the chapter title itself) what the first sentence in that chapter is with which you first disagree?
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
User avatar
Chinemezu Okafor
Premium Member
Posts: 11
Joined: March 13th, 2023, 3:12 pm

Re: Do you agree with everything in the book, "In It Together"? If not, what is the first sentence with which you disagr

Post by Chinemezu Okafor »

The only sentence that I didn't agree with was on page 128 where you said, "There is no problem with evil because their is no evil" I kept wondering what you meant by that because I knew there was a lot of evil in this world. I have thought very well about it, and up till now, I still don't know what that sentence really means.
User avatar
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Posts: 5701
Joined: January 20th, 2007, 6:24 pm
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Contact:

Re: Do you agree with everything in the book, "In It Together"? If not, what is the first sentence with which you disagr

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

Chinemezu Okafor wrote: March 17th, 2023, 2:36 pm The only sentence that I didn't agree with was on page 128 where you said, "There is no problem with evil because their is no evil" I kept wondering what you meant by that because I knew there was a lot of evil in this world. I have thought very well about it, and up till now, I still don't know what that sentence really means.
Hi, Chinemezu Okafor,

Thank you for your reply! :)

I am so glad to hear that you read well over half the book before finding even a single sentence with which you don't agree.

Regarding that particular sentence, I have explained in more detail what I mean by it and why I believe it to be true in the following forum topic:

What the word "evil" means to me, and why I believe evil (as I use the term) does not exist.


Please do give that topic read, and reply there to let me know your thoughts. :)


Thank you,
Scott
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
User avatar
Maliha Naveed
Premium Member
Posts: 4
Joined: March 8th, 2023, 1:04 pm

Re: Do you agree with everything in the book, "In It Together"? If not, what is the first sentence with which you disagr

Post by Maliha Naveed »

I will quote a sentence from the book:
"Humans may not exist, but you-the real you-definitely exist."
Who is this 'you'? Are we not human beings?
You go on to say: "In that sense, you-the real you-are definitely not human because you possess something humans don't: definitive undeniable existence."
While in the previous chapter, you say that there are two 'yous'- the real one and the spirit. Are you not contradicting yourself when in the next chapter (from where I quoted above) you say that we are not humans?
User avatar
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Posts: 5701
Joined: January 20th, 2007, 6:24 pm
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Contact:

Re: Do you agree with everything in the book, "In It Together"? If not, what is the first sentence with which you disagr

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

Hi, Maliha Naveed,

Thank you for your questions! :)
Maliha Naveed wrote: April 8th, 2023, 7:47 am While in the previous chapter, you say that there are two 'yous'- the real one and the spirit
That's a misquote.

The spirit (a.k.a. "your spirit") is the real you. In terms of the real you, you are the spirit.

In other words, as both I and the book use the terms, the spirit is the real one.

Here is an excerpt from Page 28, in which the terms are introduced and clarified:
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes (In It Together, page 28) wrote: The first You, we can call The Real You or Your Consciousness. Some would call it your spirit, your true self, your spiritual self, your higher self, your inner heavenly parent, your essence, the dreamer, or your soul.

The second You, we can call your false self, your ego, or your body. Some would call it your lower self, your bodily self, your body itself, your avatar, your vessel, your ship, your form, your inner demon, your lizard brain, the beast inside the man, or the primitive self.

Maliha Naveed wrote: April 8th, 2023, 7:47 am I will quote a sentence from the book:
"Humans may not exist, but you-the real you-definitely exist." [page 31]
Who is this 'you'? Are we not human beings?
That question is already answered in advance three pages earlier, namely on page 28 as quoted above.

Maliha Naveed wrote: April 8th, 2023, 7:47 am You go on to say: "In that sense, you-the real you-are definitely not human because you possess something humans don't: definitive undeniable existence."
. Are you not contradicting yourself when in the next chapter (from where I quoted above) you say that we are not humans?
I did not contradict myself.

There are two Yous. What is true of one isn't necessarily true of the other.

The real you is not human.

The other you may very well be human, or at least may be at times, in the same sense that it at times may be a 'blue-shirted guy' or be a 'red-shirted gal' or be ''an employed police officer' or be 'someone who is not employed as a police officer', or be 'an angry person', or be 'a non-angry person', etc.

In analogy, one is you, the real you, and the other is some of the clothing you may happen to wear at some points in spacetime. I do not contradict myself at all by saying you--the real you--are not your clothing and that the clothing may not even really exist.


If you still think there is a contradiction, can you post for me verbatim the two sentences that you think contradict?


For reference, these are the two you quoted in your previous post:

1. "Humans may not exist, but you--the real you--definitely exist."

2. "You--the real you--are definitely not human..."


Not only does it seem to me that the above two sentences do not contradict at all, but also quite the opposite: They seem to me to be saying essentially the exact same thing.

In other words, not only are they compatible, they are actually synonymous.



A few related discussion topics that might interest you are as follows:

- If you woke up as an alien in a humanless world, would you still be you?

- If your body very slowly and steadily morphed into an atom-by-atom identical copy of my body, would you still be you?

- What is your answer to the updated Opening Question? ("If you went to sleep in your body in your bed with your...")



Thank you,
Scott
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
User avatar
Maliha Naveed
Premium Member
Posts: 4
Joined: March 8th, 2023, 1:04 pm

Re: Do you agree with everything in the book, "In It Together"? If not, what is the first sentence with which you disagr

Post by Maliha Naveed »

Thank you.
It's making sense to me now after your explanation. But it's pretty confusing at first reading. I have to go back to the chapters repeatedly to connect the links.
I mixed up the 2 you's.
Kirsi_78
Premium Member
Posts: 5
Joined: November 3rd, 2022, 10:16 am

Re: Do you agree with everything in the book, "In It Together"? If not, what is the first sentence with which you disagr

Post by Kirsi_78 »

Hi, Scott,

First, let me say that I agree with most of what is written in this book. However, I cannot seem to agree with the following:

"Logic tells us that if there is an all-loving god, then there would be no evil" (page 139, Kindle edition).

For some reason (call it a woman's logic if you like ;) ), my logic is telling me that if there is a personification of love (God), there must be a personification of evil (Devil), too. How else could we tell the difference? And how does the existence of an all-loving god reverse the existence of evil?

Here's a half-serious lightening thought to this serious topic: The fight between good and evil is an epic source of all good fantasy books; how did all these authors come up with it if it doesn't exist? Of course, authors writing fiction are mostly equipped with an amazing imagination, I know, but still... :?:
User avatar
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Posts: 5701
Joined: January 20th, 2007, 6:24 pm
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Contact:

Re: Do you agree with everything in the book, "In It Together"? If not, what is the first sentence with which you disagr

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

Hi, Kirsi_78,

Thank you for your reply and thoughtful questions! :D

Kirsi_78 wrote: April 22nd, 2023, 2:41 pm Hi, Scott,

First, let me say that I agree with most of what is written in this book. However, I cannot seem to agree with the following:

"Logic tells us that if there is an all-loving god, then there would be no evil" (page 139, Kindle edition).

For some reason (call it a woman's logic if you like ;) ), my logic is telling me that if there is a personification of love (God), there must be a personification of evil (Devil), too.
I think my quoted statement might be unclear and/or incomplete as written, in that it would be more clear (albeit perhaps redundantly so) if I add the word "all-powerful" so that it instead reads as follows:

"Logic tells us that if there is an all-loving all-powerful god, then there would be no evil."

Would you agree with that statement?

In any case, I will likely update it in the next print of the book, based on your pointing of this out to me, so thank you very much for sharing this potential point of disagreement. :)

Kirsi_78 wrote: April 22nd, 2023, 2:41 pm Here's a half-serious lightening thought to this serious topic: The fight between good and evil is an epic source of all good fantasy books; how did all these authors come up with it if it doesn't exist? Of course, authors writing fiction are mostly equipped with an amazing imagination, I know, but still... :?:
As I use the term 'evil', I don't believe 'evil' really exists. But I suspect you and I use the term differently, such that you use the term 'evil' to refer to something that does exist, and I use it refer to something that doesn't exist. It might thus seem like we disagree when actually we agree, and the seeming disagreement may merely be an illusion of equivocation, analogous to if we seemed to disagree about whether a weapon-having snake was armed. :)

In regard to what I use the word "evil" to refer, I explain both how I define the word and why I believe what I call evil doesn't exist in my other topic, What the word "evil" means to me, and why I believe evil (as I use the term) does not exist.

In regard to how you might be using the word 'evil' to refer to some kind of beautiful and/or dramatic yin-yang-balanced cosmic dance, the kind that an all-loving all-powerful god might artistically and lovingly create, similar to an author writing an epic story or a dreamer dreaming a dramatic fun dream, I think I generally share your views on such matters and explain it in my topic, The lion & the antelope share a spirit. Even your worst enemy is but a friend—you yourself in fact—in playful disguise.

In other words, in regard to the playful meme below, if we regard it as a rough but accurate analogy for actual reality, then I think as I use the term it reflects a reality in which true "evil" does not exist, but it also reflects a reality in which what you call 'good' and 'evil' and by extension the perhaps fun, beautiful, and/or dramatic battle between them does all exist.


Thank you,
Scott


god-adam-eve-devil.jpg
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
User avatar
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Posts: 5701
Joined: January 20th, 2007, 6:24 pm
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Contact:

Re: Do you agree with everything in the book, "In It Together"? If not, what is the first sentence with which you disagr

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

SINGH JAY wrote: April 25th, 2023, 2:09 am I want to first say that I am knowledgeable about philosophy before I react. In light of this, I must declare that the first statement in the book with which I disagree is, "There is no problem with evil because there is no evil." I have a hard time understanding that sentence. The only justification I can offer is that, whereas you approach it philosophically, I approach it spiritually. Spiritually speaking, there is much wickedness in our world. Evil is all around us, spiritually speaking. If we look, we can feel it, hear it, and even see it. Now that you have my attention, I am ready for the philosophical response.
Hi, SINGH JAY,

I created a special topic to discuss that sentence, what I mean by it, and why I believe it is true:

What the word "evil" means to me, and why I believe evil (as I use the term) does not exist.

Please do read and reply to that one, as I would love to discuss these ideas further with you. :)


Thank you,
Scott
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
User avatar
Surabhi Rani
Premium Member
Posts: 79
Joined: November 3rd, 2022, 3:21 am

Re: Do you agree with everything in the book, "In It Together"? If not, what is the first sentence with which you disagr

Post by Surabhi Rani »

I totally agree with the author's viewpoints expressed in his book, and there was nothing I disagreed with. In fact, that was what I appreciated and admired about the book. I have read literally the same thoughts and ideas in other traditions of philosophy and branches of knowledge. The book is memorable and worth assimilating because of its elevated ideals and coherence.
Davy Ifedigbo
Premium Member
Posts: 10
Joined: May 6th, 2023, 5:07 pm

Re: Do you agree with everything in the book, "In It Together"? If not, what is the first sentence with which you disagr

Post by Davy Ifedigbo »

Unwavering affection and pardoning. This is the point where I encounter a challenge. If an individual causes harm to me, would it still qualify as unwavering affection and pardoning if I remove that individual from my existence? Because it seems that I hold animosity towards the previous deed by choosing to never communicate or be in the company of that individual again. Am I overcomplicating matters by adopting this mindset?
Dea Ann Bridegroom
Premium Member
Posts: 11
Joined: November 3rd, 2022, 10:16 am

Re: Do you agree with everything in the book, "In It Together"? If not, what is the first sentence with which you disagr

Post by Dea Ann Bridegroom »

Unconditional love and forgiveness start with letting the past be the past. I believe you have to forgive to have the Almighty's forgiveness. Pray for forgiveness of your sins nightly before bed. There is no guarantee there will be a tomorrow. Definitely, do not leave it undone today. You do not have to trust everyone, only yourself. That includes a philosopher's statement. The word is for you to study yourself and form your own opinions.
Jessica Cole 3
Premium Member
Posts: 8
Joined: January 17th, 2023, 5:45 pm

Re: Do you agree with everything in the book, "In It Together"? If not, what is the first sentence with which you disagr

Post by Jessica Cole 3 »

I disagree with the first sentence of page 128: "When it comes to inner peace, the phrase 'finding inner peace' is a misnomer. The peace is already there. There is nowhere you need to go."

As someone who has had a bunch of trials and tribulations, I wholeheartedly disagree with these statements. I can understand your POV, and maybe this is true for many people. However, certainly not true for all. In some situations, I found myself needing to physically remove myself from a toxic environment in order to obtain peace. In another situation, I realized that I needed to change my mindset in order to thrive. While that relocation wasn't physical, it was a mental move. I could not stay where I was in either case, and so I did have to "find" peace. Peace wasn't already within me and, in fact, I had not known what true peace was until about a decade ago. I had to make changes in my life to finally get to a better place - physically and otherwise. This wasn't mere restlessness/discontent, but truly harrowing experiences. This was about getting to healthy.
Post Reply

Return to “Discuss "In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All" by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
by Dr Frank L Douglas
August 2021

If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your Buts

If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your Buts
by Mark L. Wdowiak
September 2021

The Preppers Medical Handbook

The Preppers Medical Handbook
by Dr. William W Forgey M.D.
October 2021

Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide

Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
by Dr. Gustavo Kinrys, MD
November 2021

Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir

Dream For Peace
by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah
December 2021