Do you agree with everything in the book, "In It Together"? If not, what is the first sentence with which you disagree?

Discuss the November 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes.

To post in this forum, you must buy and read the book. After buying the book, please upload a screenshot of your receipt or proof or purchase via OnlineBookClub. Once the moderators approve your purchase at OnlineBookClub, you will then also automatically be given access to post in this forum.
Forum rules
This forum is for discussing the book In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All. Anyone can view the forum and read the post, but only people who purchased the book can post in the forum.

If your purchase has not already been verified (i.e. if you don't already have access to post in this forum), then please upload a screenshot of your receipt or proof or purchase via OnlineBookClub. Once the moderators approve your purchase at OnlineBookClub, you will then also automatically be given access to post in this forum.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Re: Do you agree with everything in the book, "In It Together"? If not, what is the first sentence with which you disagr

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

Jenna Padayachee wrote: February 9th, 2024, 4:44 pm "There Is No Problem of [Should-Not-Have-Ness]"
Hi, Jenna Padayachee,

Thank you for your reply.

To be clear, as I use the word "evil", it simply means "should-not-have-ness". If you have interpreted me as meaning something else by it, then that is not a disagreement but rather simply a misunderstanding.

However, if you do believe that should-not-have-ness (a.k.a. "evil") exists, then I ask you to reply to all six of the numbered questions in the following topic:

Six Questions for People Who Believe Should-Not-Have-Ness Exists (i.e. for people who believe in 'shoulds' and 'oughts')

With love,
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
a.k.a. Scott
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Jenna Padayachee
Premium Member

Re: Do you agree with everything in the book, "In It Together"? If not, what is the first sentence with which you disagr

Post by Jenna Padayachee »

Indeed!, the use of the word "Evil" interpreted as "should-not-have-ness" , has cleared up my "misunderstanding" within this chapter 🙌

I do not believe in "should-not-have-ness " as it resists the possibility of a transitional state from within , limiting freedom and undefined potential.

Thank you!!
Hella Layot
Premium Member

Post by Hella Layot »

While I found this book amazing, I found somethings that I disagree with. The sentence "There is nothing to forgive." (Page 154) is quite ludicrous. Yhere is absolutely everything to forgive. People who offend others without showing remorse are the worst kinds of people.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Hella Layot wrote: February 19th, 2024, 6:41 am While I found this book amazing, I found somethings that I disagree with. The sentence "There is nothing to forgive." (Page 154) is quite ludicrous. Yhere is absolutely everything to forgive. People who offend others without showing remorse are the worst kinds of people.
HI, Hella Layot, are you sure that (1) you read the whole book and that (2) that is the very first sentence with which you disagree?

I don't understand how it could be, since it comes after the chapter about there being no evil, and also literally the sentence right before that one ends with the phrase, "there is no need for forgiveness at all." In other words, the sentence you've quoted as the allegedly first sentence with which you disagree is just a repeat of previous sentences/points, so it's essentially physically impossible that that could be the first sentence with which you disagree, if you read every sentence in order.

Is it possible you've just randomly taken one sentence from the book that you happen to disagree with, perhaps quoted out of context by someone else, and incorrectly listed it here in this topic as the very first in the book with which you disagree?

With love,
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
a.k.a. Scott

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Christabel nmeso
Premium Member

Post by Christabel nmeso »

I definitely didn’t agree with everything in the book. When I came across the sentence on page 127, "There Is No Problem With Evil," it didn't quite resonate with me . It's a bold statement, right? I think it's because it seems to gloss over the complexities of moral philosophy. Evil, as a concept, is deeply intertwined with cultural, societal, and personal values, so to dismiss it as 'not a problem' feels a bit simplistic. It's like saying we shouldn't bother understanding the roots of what causes harm or suffering. But, you know, that's just my two cents.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Christabel nmeso wrote: February 21st, 2024, 9:29 am I definitely didn’t agree with everything in the book. When I came across the sentence on page 127, "There Is No Problem With Evil," it didn't quite resonate with me .
Hi, Christabel nmeso,

That is a misquote.

The book doesn't say there is "no problem with evil"; it says "There is no Problem of Evil".

For reference, the "Problem of Evil" is the name for an alleged argument/evidence against the existence of a God.

If you are arguing that there is a Problem of Evil, then you are saying you don't believe in all-loving all-powerful God, which is fine if that's what you are saying. Is that what you are saying?

In other words, if you believe (like me) that there is no Problem of Evil, then that is consistent both with beliving there is god or beliving there is not a god.

However, if you believe there is a Problem of Evil, then that it logically inconsistent with believing in the existence of an all-powerful all-loving all-benevolent God.

With love,
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
a.k.a. Scott

Henry Daniel 2
Premium Member

Post by Henry Daniel 2 »

I do not agree that love is unconditional. Every love comes with a condition. People love because they could be related, the have feelings for them or they feel good when they help them. These are conditions.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Henry Daniel 2 wrote: March 1st, 2024, 4:55 pm I do not agree that love is unconditional. Every love comes with a condition. People love because they could be related, the have feelings for them or they feel good when they help them. These are conditions.
Hi, Henry Daniel 2,

Please quote verbatim the very first sentence from the book with which you disagree.

Please include the page number.

With love,
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
a.k.a. Scott

Faith Job
Premium Member

Post by Faith Job »

Coming from a person that loves arguing, I can't argue with anything.
Gerry Steen
Premium Member

Post by Gerry Steen »

Hi, all. This is the first sentence(on page 13) that I disagree with; "You will quicker find a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow than find happiness through achieving goals and fulfilling desires, be they for money, fame, sex, procreation, or whatever." I feel happy while I am working toward a goal and anticipating the fulfillment of a desire. Once I reach my goal or fulfill the desire, I set my sights on another goal or desire to fulfill. The process alone gives me happiness. Achievement of the goal or a fulfilled desire is the icing on the cake! :)
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Gerry Steen wrote: March 18th, 2024, 12:28 pm Hi, all. This is the first sentence(on page 13) that I disagree with; "You will quicker find a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow than find happiness through achieving goals and fulfilling desires, be they for money, fame, sex, procreation, or whatever." I feel happy while I am working toward a goal and anticipating the fulfillment of a desire.
It sounds like you actually agree with me and just misunderstood what I meant by the sentence (which reflects much more on how well I wrote it, not how well you read it).

I agree that the only way to get true happiness is to be happy while chasing goals since there are always new goals. That was actually my point, so it seems you read the sentence as meaning the opposite of what I meant by it.

Even though we agree and this was just a misunderstanding, I deeply appreciate you bringing this misunderstanding to my attention. I am currently finished up the newest edition (which will be 3rd edition) and will edit that sentence slightly to make it more clear.

Here is what I have tentatively edited it to say:

"You will quicker find a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow than satiate your insatiable body and ego by achieving goals and fulfilling desires, be they for money, fame, sex, procreation, or whatever. Those things cannot bring you true happiness (a.k.a. consistent inner peace)."

Is that more clear and agreeable?

Gerry Steen
Premium Member

Post by Gerry Steen »

Hi, Scott. I am happy I could help. Yes, the editing you are doing to that sentence for the 3rd edition will make it more clear and agreeable. Thank you for sending me a response. I will continue reading your book a little every day and leave posts. Good luck with the third edition. :)
Lunar gate
Premium Member

Post by Lunar gate »

Chiwelite Obioma Mgbeoji wrote: February 21st, 2023, 7:44 am It took me some time and a little bit of reading over and over again to have a better understanding of some sentences. In particular, my first reaction to "...because there is no evil" was to dismiss it since I hold on to the belief that there is evil everywhere and in all of us. Reading over and over again, I think I could understand what you meant.
You really took the time to dive deep into those sentences and truly absorb their meaning. It's takes effort to read a book over and over just to understand the author's POV.
Rëâl Dūdé
Premium Member

Post by Rëâl Dūdé »

I agree with everything in the book. Could'nt find what to diagree with.
Dera Ezeakolam
Premium Member

Post by Dera Ezeakolam »

Being exposed to certain perspectives for the first time made me go through lots of critical thinking to choose whether to agree or disagree with the messages being conveyed. I agree with most of the statements after going through series of thoughts to justify them.

Return to “Discuss "In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All" by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream