Did you understand every sentence in the book, "In It Together"? If not, what part did you first not understand?

Discuss the November 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes.

To post in this forum, you must buy and read the book. After buying the book, please upload a screenshot of your receipt or proof or purchase via OnlineBookClub. Once the moderators approve your purchase at OnlineBookClub, you will then also automatically be given access to post in this forum.
Forum rules
This forum is for discussing the book In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All. Anyone can view the forum and read the post, but only people who purchased the book can post in the forum.

If your purchase has not already been verified (i.e. if you don't already have access to post in this forum), then please upload a screenshot of your receipt or proof or purchase via OnlineBookClub. Once the moderators approve your purchase at OnlineBookClub, you will then also automatically be given access to post in this forum.
jesse_voyamba
Premium Member

Re: Did you understand every sentence in the book, "In It Together"? If not, what part did you first not understand?

Post by jesse_voyamba »

Hi Scott,

This part of the book in page 61 got me a bit confused. You said, "Temporal selfishness or temporal psychopathy is when one lacks empathy for their so-called past or future selves, or treats them as such, meaning unkindly, especially in terms of how one treats their future self, simply due to the mechanics of Newtonian time." I am curious to know how one can have empathy for their future selves. Does it mean planning well to avoid harming our future selves? I want to know.
Chimomaebuka Ejimchi
Premium Member

Re: Did you understand every sentence in the book, "In It Together"? If not, what part did you first not understand?

Post by Chimomaebuka Ejimchi »

The first time I read this book, there were some parts that I didn't understand. But when I read it the second time, I realized that I understood everything in the book. It took me two readings to understand.
Sanju Lali
Premium Member

Post by Sanju Lali »

I think that the following sentence,"I believe there is one common human struggle in which, whether we like it or not, we find ourselves united, all on the same side, for better or worse." provokes many thoughts. I would be glad if you would elaborate more on this sentence.
Akangbe Opeyemi
Premium Member

Post by Akangbe Opeyemi »

The book was really helpful, although there were times I needed to reread it to get more clarity.
No matter how I try, I can't seem to grasp what this sentence implies; “Humans are united to a degree in our individual struggles through instinctive natural sympathy gifted to us by biological evolution."
Fredrick Felix Mnjala Maneno
Premium Member

Post by Fredrick Felix Mnjala Maneno »

Well, I have to admit that I cheated quite a bit while reading the book 😬. I had to run to the dictionary a few times so I could understand the book better. So I have to say I did understand it quite well indeed.
Dalia Chaouaf
Premium Member

Post by Dalia Chaouaf »

That's a very broad yet interesting question. The book is well written and easily understandable if you pay good attention. However, I'm pretty sure there have to be several sentences that I understood in a certain way yet had a very different meaning. I think that's the best part about the written word.

To answer the question, I think there is one sentence that left me a little more confused, and it was on page 136, "the wave is your form, not your essence. your forms may be many, diverse, and each infinitesimally tiny. Your essence is singular and infinitely grand."
Theresa Moffitt
Premium Member

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

I think what I liked most about the book was that I didn't understand every single sentence or concept in the book the first time I read it. The book provided a unique way of looking at common issues that I hadn't necessarily considered before. Because I had to re-read a concept or idea to fully understand the point the author was making, I felt I was learning something new and developing a new outlook on resolving issues.
Susan Sadiq
Premium Member

Post by Susan Sadiq »

I clearly understood every part of the book. While I didn't agree with everything said, I understood what was intended and tried to comprehend it. The writing style of the author made it easier to comprehend.
OyeTimothy
Premium Member

Post by OyeTimothy »

I grasped all the concepts presented in the book without any difficulty. It was a straightforward read that offered a fresh perspective on life. Upon finishing it, I had a powerful realization: nobody escapes the inevitable end. We spend our days consumed by worries about tomorrow, yet we remain oblivious to the unpredictability of our own departure. With this in mind, we are all interconnected in our journey. This book has truly left a remarkable impression!
jesse_voyamba
Premium Member

Post by jesse_voyamba »

Reading this book was a delightful experience that I would like to have again. However, I must admit that I struggled to understand some aspects of the book. What helped me was rereading those parts and carrying out extra research. Hence, I dare say that I understand the book.
Rupali Mishra
Premium Member

Post by Rupali Mishra »

If possible, please expand on the following statement: "I believe there is one common human struggle in which, whether we like it or not, we find ourselves united, all on the same side, for better or worse." It raises a lot of questions. I'm attempting to delve deeply into this book.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

Rupali Mishra wrote: July 31st, 2023, 10:40 am If possible, please expand on the following statement: "I believe there is one common human struggle in which, whether we like it or not, we find ourselves united, all on the same side, for better or worse." It raises a lot of questions. I'm attempting to delve deeply into this book.

Do these other paragraphs from Page 5 help clarify what it means:
In It Together (Page 5) wrote:...there is an obvious
common human struggle against suffering itself—against pain,
discomfort, and any unpleasant human emotion.

The end. Book over.

Just kidding.

The common struggle this book will show goes much deeper.

We fight together not merely as evolutionarily programmed robotlike
sympathetic social humans desperately seeking to avoid pain,
discomfort, and death. Granted, those qualities of our human nature
do certainly play a role in our deeper and more spiritual war.

Nonetheless, in addition to our basic reflexive bodily human
fight against pain, death, and discomfort, we also fight for something,
something deeper, something more fundamental, something one can
call spiritual.

One needn’t practice any specific religion or any religion at all to
understand it, to recognize it, and to share in it.

A human can win the lottery, become the most famous person in
the world, have the grandest beach body you ever did see, and still feel
that something is missing.

Still suffer.

Still long for something.

Still not be at peace.

?

With love,
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
a.k.a. Scott
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Akangbe Opeyemi wrote: June 17th, 2023, 6:23 pm The book was really helpful, although there were times I needed to reread it to get more clarity.
No matter how I try, I can't seem to grasp what this sentence implies; “Humans are united to a degree in our individual struggles through instinctive natural sympathy gifted to us by biological evolution."
Here is the full paragraph in which that sentence appears:
In It Together (page 4) wrote:Humans are united to a degree in our individual struggles
through instinctive natural sympathy gifted to us by biological
evolution. As two humans, my human suffering entails your
suffering because you naturally biologically have a love-like
sympathy for me. As natural as it is for your human mouth to water
at the smell or sight of delicious food, so too is it natural for your
eye to water salty tears from the mental pain of seeing another
human in pain. Empathetic mirror neurons fire in your human
brain as a reflex, more surely than your foot pops up when a doctor
gently hammers your knee.

Thus, even in that merely superficial sense, there is an obvious
Does the rest of the paragraph provide clarity?

Regardless, let me take a different angle at it by asking this: Are you familiar with the concept of a Voodoo doll?

If someone had a real working Voodoo doll of you such that stabbing that Voodoo doll would literally magically cause you bodily pain and injury, then in that sense we could say that you and the Voodoo doll are 'united'. Right? We could say that you and the Voodoo doll have a common struggle against pain and injury.

In the paragraphs from the book quoted above, what I'm saying is that humans are united in that same way because of sympathy (instead of magic). Metaphorically speaking, we are each other's mutual Voodoo dolls.

If you see a child get hurt and cry, it makes you hurt, and sad, and might make you cry too. The child is like the Voodoo doll, and you are united to the child in a similar way to the way you are united to a Voodoo doll. Hurting the child hurts you. It's not just children, of course. If someone hurts me they are hurting you too because you sympathize with me. If you saw me in terrible pain and crying, it would hurt you to see that because you would sympathize with me. That's what sympathy means: My pathy becomes your pathy too. You don't have apathy about what happens to a child or me, but rather you have pathy about it.

Does that help?

With love,
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
a.k.a.

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Sanju Lali wrote: June 15th, 2023, 1:58 pm I think that the following sentence,"I believe there is one common human struggle in which, whether we like it or not, we find ourselves united, all on the same side, for better or worse." provokes many thoughts. I would be glad if you would elaborate more on this sentence.

Do these other paragraphs from Page 5 help clarify what it means:
In It Together (Page 5) wrote:...there is an obvious

The end. Book over.

Just kidding.

The common struggle this book will show goes much deeper.

We fight together not merely as evolutionarily programmed robotlike
sympathetic social humans desperately seeking to avoid pain,
discomfort, and death. Granted, those qualities of our human nature
do certainly play a role in our deeper and more spiritual war.

Nonetheless, in addition to our basic reflexive bodily human
fight against pain, death, and discomfort, we also fight for something,
something deeper, something more fundamental, something one can
call spiritual.

One needn’t practice any specific religion or any religion at all to
understand it, to recognize it, and to share in it.

A human can win the lottery, become the most famous person in
the world, have the grandest beach body you ever did see, and still feel
that something is missing.

Still suffer.

Still long for something.

Still not be at peace.

?

With love,
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
a.k.a. Scott

Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

jesse_voyamba wrote: May 31st, 2023, 6:23 pm Hi Scott,

This part of the book in page 61 got me a bit confused. You said, "Temporal selfishness or temporal psychopathy is when one lacks empathy for their so-called past or future selves, or treats them as such, meaning unkindly, especially in terms of how one treats their future self, simply due to the mechanics of Newtonian time."

I am curious to know how one can have empathy for their future selves.
Can I ask you about this parallel situation: Do you know how one can have empathy for their others in space, such as for your biological sister or brother, or for your biological cousin, or for a neighbor with different colored skin who lives in the house across the street?

That's not a rhetorical question.

If your answer to the above question is "no", then it would make more sense to address and clarify that first.

If your answer is "yes", then I would simply point out that, in the lingo of the book, your "future selves" can also be called "others in time". And, likewise, your "others in space" (e.g. your brother or sister) can be called your "non-here selves".

In other words, having sympathy for your "future self" (a.k.a. 'others in time') works the same way as having sympathy for your "non-here selves" (a.k.a. 'others in space'). If you know how you can do the latter, then you thereby know how you can do the former, since it's really the same fundamental thing.

jesse_voyamba wrote: May 31st, 2023, 6:23 pm Does it mean planning well to avoid harming our future selves? I want to know.
Planning well to avoid harming your future self is an example of a behavior that's motivated by sympathy for that future self.

The same goes for your "others in space" (a.k.a. "your non-here selves", such as your brother or sister or neighbor across the street). Sympathy for them can motivate you to avoid harming them.

Sympathy isn't the avoiding of harming of them per se, but rather sympathy is a feeling that motivates you to choose to not harm them.

I hope that clarifies what was meant. If not, let me know, and if you have any other questions at all, please do let me know.

With love,
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
a.k.a. Scott

Return to “Discuss "In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All" by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream